Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

feedmegin posted:

Marry someone who works in an eligible field (education works) and get a non-business one is my advice. Great for stocking up for Brexit!

i want to buy this https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-She...ianakamadogrill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Make sure you pay attention to payment terms and when you have to submit invoices.

Ask if you need a PO and if so DO NOT start work until you have it

Ask about who is authorising your invoices, or what the process is, so that you know who to bug to make sure you are going to get paid.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Just pay the £15 for a Costco membership online and go one less bottle of rum each month. You'll probably make that up in a bulk buy later anyway. The membership qualification these days is literally "Do you have poonds? We like poonds!"

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 20, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

thespaceinvader posted:

I mean in the end it's selling labour to capital so yeah

Fair point

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Just pay the £15 for a Costco membership online and go one less bottle of rum each month. You'll probably make that up in a bulk buy later anyway. The membership qualification these days is literally "Do you have poonds? We like poonds!"

yeah but using paystreams calculator i'll be losing over £60 a week if i went umbrella company vs limited company with them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1163862436514009088?s=20
https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1163870171901190145?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

well I'd like a costco card and the umbrella companies take a pretty loving huge cut that i can't imagine an accountant would get anywhere near. Idk how much stuff i need to keep to hand but if I can get my driving to/from work covered as an expense that is also another thing worth making a limited company for
You don't need a limited company for that, an unlimited company will work fine for anything you need a business for without having to file accounts.

The big downside is the lack of limited liability, but if you're doing everything as a contractor to another company then that shouldn't be an issue.

e: ^^^ lol

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1163746041117794306?s=19

A lot going on in this pic.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
no I always keep my pictures arranged so I can't see them but the person taking photos of me can

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

oh gently caress I have that exact coffee maker

...this wall over here?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Just nothing between the phone handset and the coffee machine.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
oh my god the pork markets / we import cheese, that is a disgrace lady is actually in charge of trade

e: lol the first suggestion on google for "liz truss" is "liz truss cheese"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Either she has very short legs or that is a bizzarely tall armchair.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I love how basically none of the furniture in that picture, particularly the tables, look fit for the purpose it is being used for, but they're all just being kept around and used because they look old and dignified

there's a number of metaphors to be made out of that, I'll let the reader pick their favourite

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/i400s/status/1163820916452708352

ok then

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jose posted:

So I've possibly got a job as a contractor meaning I either need to setup my own company or use an umbrella company. What involved in the stuff I'd need to handle myself like NI contributions if buy a company for it? I'd quite like a costco card

If you're working for the man, legally they probably won't let you be a sole trader. That's where all the contractor incorporating as limited liability companies stuff came from in the first place.

Is it paying > £300 p/d / 50k a year? Get an accountant, it'll cost you about £100 a month but is worth it for the advice / simplified company set up / them handling payroll. The company itself will run you about £150. Remember at 80k+ you need to be VAT registered too. EDIT: Oh yeah, and remember that if you incorporate you're paying 19% corporation tax on everything you take in. That's why it's pointless under about 50k.

Otherwise just find an umbrella that doesn't look too shady. Remember that if you ever go the self employed / limited company route you're on the hook for personal tax returns for life. Also you'll probably need private liability / public indemnity insurance.

Also, watch out for IR35! The off-payroll fuckery they spunked all over the public sector is coming to the private sector in April (maybe... depends if we still have a government I guess).

https://www.contractoruk.com/

RockyB fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 20, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually what the hell look at the skirting board, what is going on in that room???

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That photo might be my favourite photo of all time. I've been laughing at it for several minutes.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Can't fault her for that really, if I had a picture with a dog that cool I'd have it in my office in preference to some boring photo of my loser kids or whatever too.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

Is it only recently Peston's gone nuts? I seem to remember thinking he was mostly smart/sensible only a few months ago.
Peston used to be great because he's old school enough to actually go talk to senior civil servants and politicians instead of just retweeting as gospel.

This worked great around the time the Withdrawal agreement was being amended to pieces, because he had an insider view nobody else could match. When Westminster is in session, he's fantastic at guessing which way the votes are likely to go.

Unfortunately Westminster has gone absolutely insane and a lot of politicians have started drinking their own Kool aid, in terms of talking about how they want the public to vote rather than how accurate and neutral polling says they are likely to vote. People are also making GBS threads themselves at the prospect of a Corbyn government, even temporarily.

So the insanity in Peston's predictions you're seeing are mirroring that absolute panic people are experiencing at the prospect of an proper, old school Labour-with-a-capital-L government in power.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

two phones and what looks like two watches...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

njsykora posted:

That photo might be my favourite photo of all time. I've been laughing at it for several minutes.
It's still not quite as good as as the UKIP superteam meeting for the first time in Paul's mum's front room with a purple cloth over the table.

https://twitter.com/ukip/status/1025395389074223104

Close, but not quite there. Look how far they've come since.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

This is how long the cable is on that brand of coffee machine btw:

She's just tucked the plug behind the picture frame :laugh:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Guavanaut posted:

It's still not quite as good as as the UKIP superteam meeting for the first time in Paul's mum's front room with a purple cloth over the table.

https://twitter.com/ukip/status/1025395389074223104

Close, but not quite there. Look how far they've come since.

Oooh, I'd not seen that one before. Strong competition but I think this one was at least sincere whereas Liz's looks like a press officer was trying to see what they could get away with.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I wonder if she calls all the countries with the same colour schemes on the same day to get the most use out of that outfit. First Japan, then Canada, Turkey, Indonesia... (I guess Poland, Denmark and Switzerland probably aren't picking up the phone). Can't wait to see what she wears to call South Africa.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It looks like they're playing the world's worst RPG.

1 year later it turned out they were.

big scary monsters posted:

Can't wait to see what she wears to call South Africa.
https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1046715236206747648

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 20, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Borrovan posted:

maybe she's daisy-chained it through the digital photo frame #lifehacks

loving the two watches though. One of them is definitely on Japan time

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
the way she smiles and sort of sidles away from the mic in this gif is creeping me out

https://twitter.com/Go_SYH_In_A_Pig/status/1163838735387156481

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

I wonder if she calls all the countries with the same colour schemes on the same day to get the most use out of that outfit. First Japan, then Canada, Turkey, Indonesia... (I guess Poland, Denmark and Switzerland probably aren't picking up the phone). Can't wait to see what she wears to call South Africa.
Greenland has the same color scheme, AND successfully left the EU. It's a natural partner for forward-looking Britain.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How do I stop these calendar spam notifications that I've won an iPhone?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Borrovan posted:

I was wondering why the coffee machine was plugged into the photograph lol

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

When I was doing IT the umbrella firm just took a flat fee per timesheet they processed.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Greenland has the same color scheme, AND successfully left the EU. It's a natural partner for forward-looking Britain.

Fair point. Free of the EU's racist laws on exactly what sea animals are too cute to hunt, UK shoppers will at last be able to buy all the seal meat they want. Maybe once we're out from the yoke we can revive our proud whaling traditions and become the world's top exporter of scrimshaw and smoky, inferior lamp oil.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Angrymog posted:

When I was doing IT the umbrella firm just took a flat fee per timesheet they processed.

£64+ a week is a fairly hefty amount

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fair point. Free of the EU's racist laws on exactly what sea animals are too cute to hunt, UK shoppers will at last be able to buy all the seal meat they want. Maybe once we're out from the yoke we can revive our proud whaling traditions and become the world's top exporter of scrimshaw and smoky, inferior lamp oil.
Scrimshaw is cool, you can even get Vegan scrimshaw now.

Since Euro 6, diesel that you get out of the pump is cleaner than the finest lamp oil in the Edwardian era, so we'll have to put a stop to that if we want to corner the whale head scoopings market again.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the only difference being Greenland isn't actually going to be bought by Donald Trump

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Jose posted:

Assuming you've got the same issue I had this morning, go to Google Calendar (either on your phone or on your PC) and then go to Settings, scroll down to Event Settings, and turn Automatically Add Invitations to No.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

claim your prize??

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

well I'd like a costco card and the umbrella companies take a pretty loving huge cut that i can't imagine an accountant would get anywhere near. Idk how much stuff i need to keep to hand but if I can get my driving to/from work covered as an expense that is also another thing worth making a limited company for

You can get an online-only accountant to manage everything involved with being a limited company. They'll set it up on your behalf, send you all the forms you need to sign and tell you how to take your money (dividends vs wages) to maximise what you get to keep. They also don't charge that much.

I did the limited company thing for a while myself while locuming. It definitely feels scummy at first doing the tax-minimizing thing, but when you factor in holiday pay/sick pay/accountant fees you don't really end up making more than an employee.

Oh, and you technically can't claim milage expenses if you're always going to the same place. It's classed as a commute rather than business travel. Although HMRC is really unlikely to dig that deeply if your turnover is the equivalent to one person's salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The three major factions of 80s-90s Afghanistan were all awful in very different ways, reflecting how fragmented the damned place is.

The Soviet-backed Democratic Republic of Afghanistan was indeed the most socially liberal of the three, with reforms including equal rights for women and universal education. Unfortunately, it was a very 'hire more women guards' flavour of liberalism. The signature policy of the new communist government was land reform, seizing any farm over a certain size for the government without compensating its owners. It was supposed to be a populist sop to poor Afghans, sticking the boot into wealthy, exploitative farmers. The problem was that Afghanistan was a largely agrarian economy with poor soil and low population density, so even the poorest farms were pretty big, which meant that a shitload of dirt-poor subsistence farmers got their land stolen by wealthy ministers.

The agricultural sector collapsed, and people began starving, triggering uprisings literally everywhere. The government's reaction was brutal, and Russia's ended up being even more so, wiping out entire villages (and farms, in case the Afghans weren't starving hard enough) with top-of-the-line military hardware in response to a mere sniff of rebel activity. One big problem was that the government's military was functionally Russian - in other words, its soldiers and officers were people who didn't have a stake in or give a poo poo about the lives of a nation of mountain tribesmen. Afghan conscripts were used as front-line cannon-fodder when they weren't being purged and executed or shipped off to Siberia. Rates of defection and desertion were extremely high, reinforcing the mujaheddin's claim to be the authentic defenders of Afghanistan.

The most notorious weapon of the DRA was KHAD, who were the Afghan equivalent of the KGB. That should really tell you all you need to know about them. They were responsible for a truly eye-watering amount of torture and executions, often extremely arbitrary (in fact, they're still digging up KHAD mass graves thirty years later), which really took a lot of the lustre off all those cool new freedoms the government had granted its citizens. It was no real surprise that when former KHAD director Mohammed Najibullah tried to turn the government in a more moderate, conciliatory direction after the Russians pulled out of the country, the mujaheddin overthrew him and the Taliban tortured him and his family to death using techniques from his own prisons.

The mujaheddin were the old tribal warlords of Afghanistan, returned to power by the DRA's cruelty and incompetence. While they had foreign backing, it was the warlords who ran the show, mainly because they became quite good at eating foreign-backed groups and taking their stuff. They were brutal, but less brutal than an immense industrial war machine that didn't see Afghans as people, and they at least understood how farms were supposed to work, so they kept their people fed. They were also more socially conservative than the DRA, but didn't really care enough to do much active oppression of women and minorities (largely because much of their power and success cane from being a mass of tiny, decentralised fiefdoms). The problem was that they were literal mountain bandits whose two favourite activities were growing opium and raping children - the tradition of 'bacha bazi', or child prostitution, originated from the southern Pashtuns, but became popularised across much of the country by the mujaheddin warlords.

The Taliban were a popular insurgency against the mujaheddin with backing from Pakistani intelligence (who didn't like having a child-trafficking, drug-smuggling bandit nation on their border) and the general Afghan public (who didn't like living in a child-trafficking, drug-smuggling bandit nation). They cracked down hard on bacha bazi, the drug trade, and the roaming, murderous gangs, and brought a certain measure of unity and stability to a badly broken country. The problem was that they were repressive, racist fundamentalist theocrats who made life particularly awful for women and non-Pashtuns. Not only that, but their isolationism and paranoia, while understandable given, y'know, everything in the past couple of decades, caused the Afghan economy to wither as they sealed it off from the outside world. By this point, opium farming was Afghanistan's only moderately lucrative domestic industry, so they had to double back down on that just like the mujaheddin (although they do seem to have had some decent success in suppressing domestic usage - it was an export-only crop), and ravaged the environment to sell off timber to keep the country afloat.

So yeah, genocidal tankies, paedophile bandits, or misogynistic fundies. Take your pick.