Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jose posted:

£64+ a week is a fairly hefty amount

Wow, that's gone up. I think it was something like 10 or 15, though this was back in 2005.

edit: Though by 2006 they were charging 69 a week, so either they did a massive rate hike, or I was being paid way too much in 2005 and didn't actually pay attention to things like that.

And because this is a terrible snipe, have a watercolour doodle of a WW2 pillbox that's fallen down a cliff.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

It's still not quite as good as as the UKIP superteam meeting for the first time in Paul's mum's front room with a purple cloth over the table.

https://twitter.com/ukip/status/1025395389074223104

Close, but not quite there. Look how far they've come since.

Isn't that Paul Joseph Watson's ma's dining room?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Front room, dining room, take your pick. I roughly paced it out at the time and It's about the same size and layout as my front room (which also has the Good Table, as is tradition), but definitely not a conference room for eight.

Also mine has much better wallpaper, even if it is the previous occupants'.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1163897106291052544

I can't help but be depressed by polls like this. How the hell do we turn this around? Half of Labour's support has leaked off to the yellow tories it feels.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I just watched a guy in Wahaca eat a burrito and two tacos with a knife and fork.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Encouraging them to continue to poo poo the bed re: actually trying to stop brexit seems like a good plan.

Also TBH it's increasingly unlikely that we'll actually get a GE before brexit so eh.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

I can't help but be depressed by polls like this. How the hell do we turn this around? Half of Labour's support has leaked off to the yellow tories it feels.

a) It's YouGov
b) This is the extent of Johnson's new leader bounce
c) Most people haven't figured out yet that the choice will be between a Labour government and No Deal.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Not So Fast posted:

Yougov tends to be a "bad" poll for us as they over estimate/sample the tories/anyone but labour population.

However you point stands that we have hemorrhaged support to the lib dems on brexit, we has become the liberals "feels over reals" issue, and The Greens on "I am left wing but feel a bit iffy about the current Labour party".

Only way to fix it is to have a new, left wing leader that is pro-EU.

Otherwise our best bet is lightning striking twice and being able to form a coalition with a party that loving hates us (the lib dems).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Certainly 13-14th won't account for swinson shtting the bed then rubbing the poo poo all over herself and saying jeremy corbyn made her do it.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

So yeah, genocidal tankies, paedophile bandits, or misogynistic fundies. Take your pick.

Is it definitely too late to call the whole Brexit thing off?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
all the Lib Dems having to stand up in Parliament and actually vote for No Deal over Corbyn is going to decimate their support

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

Is it definitely too late to call the whole Brexit thing off?
I don't think it's a good brexit analogy.

I'm sure the Brexit Party, the Tories, and the DUP would form a coalition.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Darth Walrus posted:

The Soviet-backed Democratic Republic of Afghanistan was indeed the most socially liberal of the three, with reforms including equal rights for women and universal education. Unfortunately, it was a very 'hire more women guards' flavour of liberalism. The signature policy of the new communist government was land reform, seizing any farm over a certain size for the government without compensating its owners. It was supposed to be a populist sop to poor Afghans, sticking the boot into wealthy, exploitative farmers. The problem was that Afghanistan was a largely agrarian economy with poor soil and low population density, so even the poorest farms were pretty big, which meant that a shitload of dirt-poor subsistence farmers got their land stolen by wealthy ministers.

The agricultural sector collapsed, and people began starving, triggering uprisings literally everywhere. The government's reaction was brutal, and Russia's ended up being even more so, wiping out entire villages (and farms, in case the Afghans weren't starving hard enough) with top-of-the-line military hardware in response to a mere sniff of rebel activity. One big problem was that the government's military was functionally Russian - in other words, its soldiers and officers were people who didn't have a stake in or give a poo poo about the lives of a nation of mountain tribesmen. Afghan conscripts were used as front-line cannon-fodder when they weren't being purged and executed or shipped off to Siberia. Rates of defection and desertion were extremely high, reinforcing the mujaheddin's claim to be the authentic defenders of Afghanistan.

The most notorious weapon of the DRA was KHAD, who were the Afghan equivalent of the KGB. That should really tell you all you need to know about them. They were responsible for a truly eye-watering amount of torture and executions, often extremely arbitrary (in fact, they're still digging up KHAD mass graves thirty years later), which really took a lot of the lustre off all those cool new freedoms the government had granted its citizens. It was no real surprise that when former KHAD director Mohammed Najibullah tried to turn the government in a more moderate, conciliatory direction after the Russians pulled out of the country, the mujaheddin overthrew him and the Taliban tortured him and his family to death using techniques from his own prisons.

A lot of that is true about several other places where the soviet-backed governments were around, but I'd still take it over religious Mad Max cosplayers or the actual Taliban.

Though to be fair my classmate's family were from Kabul and somewhat educated, so possibly not quite the people suffering the most.

e: champagne Stalinism

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 20, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Not So Fast posted:

poo poo like this tends to change sharply in the event of an actual election. Especially if it's No Deal versus an option to Remain.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

feedmegin posted:

poo poo like this tends to change sharply in the event of an actual election. Especially if it's No Deal versus an option to Remain.

Yeah if we do get an election Labour just needs to point to the fact that unless they form the next government then we're still leaving with no deal. The Lib Dems just don't have a good answer to that.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I wish I was somewhere else, in a different country not currently imploding.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ have some escapism, friend

Guavanaut posted:

Front room, dining room, take your pick. I roughly paced it out at the time and It's about the same size and layout as my front room (which also has the Good Table, as is tradition), but definitely not a conference room for eight.

Also mine has much better wallpaper, even if it is the previous occupants'.

but are the walls bulging in from the pressure of all the immigration?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Ash Crimson posted:

I wish I was somewhere else, in a different country not currently imploding.

All countries are imploding right now, there's a global recession coming

Some fare much better than others though, maybe learn Danish and move to Denmark? Or Norway or one of the nordic states - they're the best place to live right now I think even though the far-right is gaining ground there

If that's not an option, well, have a cup of tea or your favourite hot beverage, take a deep breath, take things one step at a time, and dehumanise yourself and face to bloodshed

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 20, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Back from my brothers wedding. It was lovely, him and his wife are all married and love each other very much and did the most "on brand" thing for them that they can do in that they gave people presents during one of the speeches to say thank you for coming.

I got to have a lot of talks with my cousins and meet up with Bens friends and with the family. We now have a few more cousins part of it, one of them who was born abroad is possibly the happiest baby I have seen in my life, I've never encountered one who is just constantly smiling!

The food was lovely, I got to wear a rather nice suit and enjoy a day out with the family.

Now I am probably going to crash like I usually do having seen my folks, but it was very good fun being there with all of them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

awww yeah, glad it was a good experience bud

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Pochoclo posted:

maybe learn Danish

Hahahahahaha.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah Denmark is pretty fash recently. Also their housing crisis is just as bad, from what I hear from of people who moved over there (and they are mostly computer touchers so it's not just the poors).

The wages might be high but tax rate and cost of living are exorbitant in comparison.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Julio Cruz posted:

all the Lib Dems having to stand up in Parliament and actually vote for No Deal over Corbyn is going to decimate their support

I'm pretty sure lack of diabetes and blood pressure medication in a no-deal Brexit environment will do that, too.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

It's still not quite as good as as the UKIP superteam meeting for the first time in Paul's mum's front room with a purple cloth over the table.

https://twitter.com/ukip/status/1025395389074223104

Close, but not quite there. Look how far they've come since.

At least two of the people in this pic has had to ask their children why at least the other two are famous on the internet.

"And now article 6 today: Milkshake proof clothing..."

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Goon project: UKMT colonises Iceland, sets up communist utopia. Between the various EVE players we should have enough ISK to buy some land in a nice lava field, maybe get some hogs, build a zipline...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

baka kaba posted:

awww yeah, glad it was a good experience bud

Thanks mate.

It was just nice to be around folks. I think I am going to take another break from SA for a bit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Not So Fast posted:

We need these polls. They'll convince Boris the same way they convinced May.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

We need these polls. They'll convince Boris the same way they convinced May.

insha'Allah. Perhaps YouGov is some kind of triple agent operation, who knows, but they will be the siren that sings ABdPfJ to shipwreck

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Private Speech posted:

Yeah Denmark is pretty fash recently. Also their housing crisis is just as bad, from what I hear from of people who moved over there (and they are mostly computer touchers so it's not just the poors).

The wages might be high but tax rate and cost of living are exorbitant in comparison.

London is even more expensive than Copenhagen though, the UK has been getting pretty fash lately also, not to mention Brexit, and while the tax rate is lower, pensions and public services are shittier in the UK

Salaries have a more even distribution in Denmark from what I heard - you have more chances of getting a good salary there, but if you want a super high salary in a high demand field you're more likely to get it in London, but on the other hand lol at ever buying a house in London while Copenhagen is still humanly possible

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Not So Fast posted:

Well first of all you take 10 points off the Tories for it being YouGov.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

If medicine gets disrupted I should probably just go out quietly and not make a fuss

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bugger that if the government's gonna kill you make as much fuss about it as you can. What're they gonna do, double kill you?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The populace kicking out their leadership on their rear end can happen, in my own experience

quote:

The freeze (of bank accounts) enraged many Argentines who took to the streets of important cities, especially Buenos Aires. They engaged in protests that became known as cacerolazo (banging pots and pans). The cacerolazos began as noisy demonstrations but soon included property destruction, often directed at banks, foreign-owned privatized companies, and, especially, big American and European companies.

Confrontations between the police and citizens became common, and fires were set on Buenos Aires avenues. De la Rúa declared a state of emergency, but the situation worsened, precipitating the violent protests of 20 and 21 December 2001 in Plaza de Mayo, where clashes between demonstrators and the police ended up with several people dead and precipitated the fall of the government. De la Rúa eventually fled the Casa Rosada in a helicopter on 21 December.

It does involve a bit of violence though

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Private Speech posted:

You can get houses dirt cheap outside of cities. Downside is, you're in the middle of nowhere.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

big scary monsters posted:

Goon project: UKMT colonises Iceland, sets up communist utopia. Between the various EVE players we should have enough ISK to buy some land in a nice lava field, maybe get some hogs, build a zipline...

At least 30-50 hogs, surely.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I just saw a mention of Frances Barber in the wild, which reminded me she was the/an original Weetman, and it turns out if anything she's worse than ever, so oh well. Been starring in a Pet Shop Boys musical though.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
centristsdangerouslyclosetogettingit.txt

https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1163899738053324801?s=20

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Julio Cruz posted:

Seeing just how badly Swinson is handling this, and how she's doubling down is pretty amazing:
https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1163747128457539584

Even by the usual standards of deflection, it's pretty piss-weak and not sticking.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol, too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol, too late.

...I'm sorry what?