Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Friday the 13th was a version of a game I've wanted my entire life and I'm still mourning it.

Tried to ease the pain with DbD but that game is being chased by your older brother outside then running into the house and going in circles around the couch until your dad tells you to shut the gently caress up and go back outside cause he's trying to watch the goddamn Mets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

I get what you mean, though I'm glad they didn't do that, would have made playing as a counselor way too stressful

that’s why it shoulda been!

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Tormented posted:

I don't see how anyone enjoyed FF13 as it barely interaction with Jason other then ether instant death or slow mo tag as you prayed he didn't land a grab. If you had any interaction with him at all.

Jason had to ramp up fear in order to be effective, and that involves messing with the player and trying to shut down their objectives. Good players new how to escape, especially if they worked in groups, and how to work the objectives so you couldn't afford to tunnel. The different characters meant that certain people were going to be very difficult to find (and they were usually good at objectives) while the easier to find characters were generally better at either outrunning/juking or knocking jason on his butt and getting away. Proper inventory meant that Jason couldn't ever really trust his grab, but coordinated efforts would mean that Jason couldn't afford the time to whack everyone to death because someone was going to get an objective while you tried to off a higher health character. That was before voice chat - and man was voice chat in F13 fantastic.

The game itself was well done, but the chat system and the direct interactions meant that once you were bored of the game loop you could easily goof off or do weird stuff just to see what happens.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Maybe it's because I play on console but I've never had too much difficulty finding games for F13

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

TheAnomaly posted:

Jason had to ramp up fear in order to be effective, and that involves messing with the player and trying to shut down their objectives. Good players new how to escape, especially if they worked in groups, and how to work the objectives so you couldn't afford to tunnel. The different characters meant that certain people were going to be very difficult to find (and they were usually good at objectives) while the easier to find characters were generally better at either outrunning/juking or knocking jason on his butt and getting away. Proper inventory meant that Jason couldn't ever really trust his grab, but coordinated efforts would mean that Jason couldn't afford the time to whack everyone to death because someone was going to get an objective while you tried to off a higher health character. That was before voice chat - and man was voice chat in F13 fantastic.

The game itself was well done, but the chat system and the direct interactions meant that once you were bored of the game loop you could easily goof off or do weird stuff just to see what happens.

I see how good players but for Jason it was boring. It was axe the generator outside the house, smash the windows, try not let yourself get shot and wait until you get alerted of a player then fast travel over there and keep trying to get a grab or just m1 them. As you got knocked down over and over agian you

I felt it as people got better it started to feel like bully Jason simulator. As it can get stupidly easy for coordinated team. I feel like DBD is starting to slowly move towards being less of a bully simulator and more of a balanced game if not really slowly.

At-least FF13 did patch out the infinite loops pretty quickly like the fence one.

Also BBQ is on the shrine this week.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
there were a few isolated points in F13's lifecycle where jason was not dangerous enough, especially in the face of Chad's Excalibat, but they were generally very short lived and addressed within a few weeks, with subtle but powerful changes like jason's grab lunging him forward so he had a real reach advantage against a survivor when squared up on them, or just a rebalancing of how Luck and perks worked with regard to the durability increase on weapons (so a single Excalibat would not last the whole god damned round). i'm getting the distinct feeling you happened to be playing during one of the Excalibat Times but that really, really was not representative of the game at all. i'd say for ~95% of the game's life cycle, people who went out to bully jason were going to die quickly and accomplish little.

also, the only truly formulaic move that jason really HAD to do at the beginning of the match is go trap the phone house, even in terms of how to torment a survivor the entire thing was very much a matter of spinning multiple plates and being aware of the entire map and entire situation. spending time breaking windows in particular was frequently not a great move because that time is better spent attacking players that are actually doing something, and getting shot is something you should actively bait in the first few minutes of the game if you can catch someone with an early shotgun - it gets you extra rage and gets the survivors to waste a very rare resource that they otherwise might use in a much more critical situation, like after you've smashed their car.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Breaking windows was more of a mid to late game thing and could be extremely effective if you knew when and where to do it. You could use it to force them to take damage or try to control where people would enter or exit a building, which could either set them up for an easy kill or limit their options as to where they could safely go once outside. If you broke all the windows in a building except one, most people were going to use that one window, so you could make sure it was as far away from any other building as possible. Once they were outside, that would allow you either more time to catch them in the open or enough space to get in between them and the next closest building, forcing them back into the unsafe one that they just left and stifling any progress that they could've made had they been able to move more freely. It was also almost always a good idea to at least break the window and doors closest to the phonebox right at the beginning to both limit their access to it without taking damage and increase your access to them.

Playing as Jason in that game was very situational and to be really good at it you had to be able to not only think strategically but to improvise to figure out a way to control the counselors and what they were able to access and also to apply pressure in order to bait them into a more advantageous situation for yourself. It was wonderful and I'm really going to miss it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tormented posted:

I don't see how anyone enjoyed FF13 as it barely interaction with Jason other then ether instant death or slow mo tag as you prayed he didn't land a grab. If you had any interaction with him at all.

You could always hang out on a piece of terrain Jason couldn't get to and laugh as he futilely throws knives at you as he can neither swim nor morph to your location.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Regrettable posted:

Breaking windows was more of a mid to late game thing and could be extremely effective if you knew when and where to do it. You could use it to force them to take damage or try to control where people would enter or exit a building, which could either set them up for an easy kill or limit their options as to where they could safely go once outside. If you broke all the windows in a building except one, most people were going to use that one window, so you could make sure it was as far away from any other building as possible. Once they were outside, that would allow you either more time to catch them in the open or enough space to get in between them and the next closest building, forcing them back into the unsafe one that they just left and stifling any progress that they could've made had they been able to move more freely. It was also almost always a good idea to at least break the window and doors closest to the phonebox right at the beginning to both limit their access to it without taking damage and increase your access to them.

Playing as Jason in that game was very situational and to be really good at it you had to be able to not only think strategically but to improvise to figure out a way to control the counselors and what they were able to access and also to apply pressure in order to bait them into a more advantageous situation for yourself. It was wonderful and I'm really going to miss it.

Being a good Jason came down to knowing who to kill. Like you!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yo, PC steam havin' Friday the 13th ownin' goons!

We've got a Friday the 13th coming up and we've got some people feeling nostalgic for our favorite dumb dead game. I know I sure am

We're planning a big goon hunt in Friday the 13th on Friday the 13th- swing by the discord if you want to participate!

I forget do we have that linked here or

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yeah, there's a link in the op.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Worried that I'm so rusty that I won't live up to expectations. Then again, we all are.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm legit not sure what the controls are exactly anymore

Might not remember the maps either

So you know bumblefucking around like usual

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my body is ready to become a corpse

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TGLT posted:

Barbara and Arabrab, who is Barbara but her model is upside down. She fixes generators with her feet.

Bogart posted:

Should’ve made Hopper and the mom survivors.

Illfonic should just make a Stranger Things reskin of F13.

e: Eleven is Tommy Jarvis. Boom. Also calling the cops sends Hopper, who's like a Backup Tommy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man, Tina would have been a great survivor if they could have figured out how to get her telekenesis going

Imagine the rag doll physics there- as it was baseballing Jason at the wrong time would send him to the loving moon

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Illfonic should just make a Stranger Things reskin of F13.

e: Eleven is Tommy Jarvis. Boom. Also calling the cops sends Hopper, who's like a Backup Tommy.

Would I be able to “accidentally” kill 3-4 of my teammates with Eleven’s psychokinesis while fighting off the Demigorgon?
This would be the dealbreaker?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SilverSupernova posted:

Would I be able to “accidentally” kill 3-4 of my teammates with Eleven’s psychokinesis while fighting off the Demigorgon?
This would be the dealbreaker?

I wish I could have managed to kill everyone with the car before Jason could

the best I could ever manage was just killing more people than Jason in a given round.

I think there was one game where we all just went on a killing spree without Jason being any the wiser. tinfoil and Ozone(?) came after me with a shotgun so I respawned as Tommy and hunted them down.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Worried that I'm so rusty that I won't live up to expectations. Then again, we all are.

I can almost guarantee that at least a couple of people will get away and we will never live it down. I might get some practice in against bots a few days prior just so I can try to remember how everything works.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm probably just going to go full Burk and turn all of my jason games into gimmick events

i was never an outstanding jason (i had good strategic fundamentals but fumbled execution more often than not) so i'm sure the like 8 months or more off has just made me a bumbling idiot. fortunately i have a few ideas for dumb rounds where it won't matter.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As is the proper way to Jason

I do want the record to show to the thread and those unaware- I could play a fairly competent Jason if I put effort into it. I just generally felt like it was better to just gently caress around and lead everyone along on merry games.

And games of murder and sabotage

With a game as naturally chaotic as Friday, the only way to play is through chaos

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah the context here is that a competent jason in the normal game could clean house or leave maybe 1-2 survivors constantly, whereas in goon games a competent jason is gonna see half the survivors get away if he's on point. i generally find this is less because goons are actively better at the particulars of the game (people gently caress up on the car or the phone just like anyone else) and more that they keep their heads pretty much universally. nobody panics in a goon game and everyone generally has steps 2, 3, and 4 planned out even in stressful situations like a chase. even calmer pubbies will frequently not think of 'what's after that' and they'll make a blunder you can exploit about half the time.

this is also why chaos in a goon game goes over so well. nobody can plan 4 steps ahead when burk is in play.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 28, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
First goon night in forever happened

Game Status: Still Good poo poo

Ozone Status: Still loving Lethal

Icey Status: Able To Play!

Composer Status: Still AJ ALSO A HIGHLANDER

Mateo Status: Still Mateo but you got two buddy!

Voltic Status: Still A Good Sport

Silver Status: Still Baller

Burk Status: Glitcher Than EVER

Game is amazing, ten outta ten, Jontron jokes funnier than ever now that you can kill him freely

Cars are magic, shotgun duels need to happen, AJ is immortal indoors and I have mastered glitch walking

gently caress yeah this game

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oh gently caress yeah I’ll pop back in the discord when I’m home from the vacation weekend. Was just talking to a friend about how this game broke my goddamn heart.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Looks like Capcom is getting in on the asymmetric horror genre with a Resident Evil spinoff called Project Resistance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsFrFxbnDek

The closed beta starts on October 4 and if you're on a console you can sign up here from now until September 19: https://www.project-resistance.com

It is coming out on PC but I haven't seen any announcements about a PC beta so far.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Looks interesting. Small survivor base at the start.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Any Steam goons playing F13 this weekend?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yup

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wanderer posted:

Any Steam goons playing F13 this weekend?

Come join the discord we'll be playing tonight

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Game is still good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://mspoweruser.com/xbox-games-with-gold-for-october-is-a-bundle-of-stomping-and-spooky-fun/

Xbox goons, Friday is going to be free come October

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...
Welp, I made the switch in Dead By Daylight from PS4 Pro to PC and honestly it’s much better. Obviously the graphics and performance are an improvement but surprisingly using mouse and keyboard for survivor works better than I thought it would. Now I know how people can 360 juke a Killer trying to slash them. I’m slowly re-buying all the DLC in pieces. The sale this past week really helped that process out a lot. I had JUST bought The Stranger Things DLC on PS4 before the sale started too so I feel like a real dummy.

I really hope the rumor that “IT” is the next Licensed Killed even though we got the Clown.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

FatalT posted:

Welp, I made the switch in Dead By Daylight from PS4 Pro to PC and honestly it’s much better. Obviously the graphics and performance are an improvement but surprisingly using mouse and keyboard for survivor works better than I thought it would. Now I know how people can 360 juke a Killer trying to slash them. I’m slowly re-buying all the DLC in pieces. The sale this past week really helped that process out a lot. I had JUST bought The Stranger Things DLC on PS4 before the sale started too so I feel like a real dummy.

I really hope the rumor that “IT” is the next Licensed Killed even though we got the Clown.

Wouldn't be too out-there considering we have both a generic "hillbilly" and Bubba from TCSM

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I switched to PC several months ago but I'm still better with a controller on survivor. Keyboard and mouse is definitely better for killer, though, at least for me.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

FatalT posted:

Honestly surprised Pinhead hasn't made an appearance yet. The Labyrinth would be an obvious level choice too.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
My dream DbD list:

Chucky
Annie Wilkes (voiced by Kathy Bates)
Jason <--- (will never happen)
Slenderman
Jekyll / Hyde

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Who do you license slenderman from

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Drunken Baker posted:

Honestly surprised Pinhead hasn't made an appearance yet. The Labyrinth would be an obvious level choice too.

It's hard to imagine a scenario in which Pinhead gets loaned out to the Entity as a freelance legbreaker, especially since he doesn't really ever move. Off the top of my head, the one time that Pinhead ever killed somebody directly, it was with a bunch of chains from nowhere and makeshift telekinetic weaponry.

I could see Frank Cotton and Kristy making it in as a killer/survivor duo (Frank bleeding guys out is a natural pick for a memento mori), but the Cenobites are supposed to be a terrifying background presence.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Bogart posted:

Who do you license slenderman from

quote:

The Slender Man (also known as Slenderman) is a fictional supernatural character that originated as a creepypasta Internet meme created by Something Awful forums user Eric Knudsen (also known as "Victor Surge") in 2009.

Us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

It seems like slim pickings now for licensed killers, I think. (The fridge from Requiem for a Dream?) I feel like they did a good job with Plague, I'd love to see an original attempt at a less-human killer, perhaps insect themed or something. Please just don't do Cujo or a Xenomorph, bad idea.

I've been getting back into DBD recently, it's still fun.