Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It is, but it's a fairly loose series where the three main games all play differently and people tend to like certain entries over others, it's not like Picross where all dozen games are basically puzzle packs.

I bought Pushmo and downloaded Stretchmo, the tutorial levels in Stretchmo seem to show itself as pretty similar to Pushmo. I googled around and saw that Crashmo is the most difficult of the three. Are the level packs worth it for Stretchmo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Manuel Calavera posted:

Which ending is the most ridiculous for the Layton games? I watched Thevoiceofdog do Wright v Layton, and jesus gently caress that ending was absolute nonsense. Without going into to much detail of course.

They're all like that except the newest one with his daughter, which is more normal murder mystery level goofy. Layton games rule so much.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

After playing 5 Ace Attorney games, I've come to the conclusion that because everyone in the series is such a large ham, people have lost (or never developed in the first place) the ability to read what we consider normal human body language or tone of voice. This is why Apollo needs special eyes and a pseudo science bracelet to tell when someone's getting twitchy and Athena needs magic ears and a computer to tell that someone sounds sad when they're not chewing the scenery. Bobby Fulbright in Dual Destinies isn't some superspy with no real emotions, he's just a normal guy; it's just that in Japanifornia nobody knows how to read you if you're not literally beating your head against the wall when you're angry.

Also the tendency of Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies to try to tone down the magic is kinda funny considering the first game has actual spirit mediums who change shape into the person they're channeling and Phoenix still has a magic amulet given to him by Maya that allows him to psychically detect lies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commander Keene posted:

Also the tendency of Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies to try to tone down the magic is kinda funny considering the first game has actual spirit mediums who change shape into the person they're channeling and Phoenix still has a magic amulet given to him by Maya that allows him to psychically detect lies.

Oh they go right in the other direction for Spirit of Justice :v:.

You should go play Spirit of Justice.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

I bought Pushmo and downloaded Stretchmo, the tutorial levels in Stretchmo seem to show itself as pretty similar to Pushmo. I googled around and saw that Crashmo is the most difficult of the three. Are the level packs worth it for Stretchmo?

They all have different gimmicks and play differently once you get into the meat of each game. Finish Pushmo first and get the other 2 if you enjoyed it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes. One is really memorable that I recommend going into spoiler free.
This is technically true when there's only one DLC case to begin with, but to be clear: there's only one case and it's good.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

After playing 5 Ace Attorney games, I've come to the conclusion that because everyone in the series is such a large ham, people have lost (or never developed in the first place) the ability to read what we consider normal human body language or tone of voice. This is why Apollo needs special eyes and a pseudo science bracelet to tell when someone's getting twitchy and Athena needs magic ears and a computer to tell that someone sounds sad when they're not chewing the scenery. Bobby Fulbright in Dual Destinies isn't some superspy with no real emotions, he's just a normal guy; it's just that in Japanifornia nobody knows how to read you if you're not literally beating your head against the wall when you're angry.

I think it's just clumsy to have too many mechanics floating around in Ace Attorney, the showcase for that game was the emote gadget or whatever Athena uses. Wait until you play the next one

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's not that they're focusing on one character's abilities, it's that they try to make sure that Apollo's and Athena's abilities are given "reasonable" explanations, and that they're like "nobody would believe that a yokai committed the murder" when two cases in the original trilogy hinged on whether a spirit medium was channeling somebody when a murder was committed, and one case involved an old case where the police consulted a medium. And it's specifically the same judge who presided over those cases, too - he greets Phoenix like an old friend.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

elf help book posted:

They're all like that except the newest one with his daughter, which is more normal murder mystery level goofy. Layton games rule so much.

This.

If anything Layton vs. Wright has the least ridiculous plot reveal out of all the Hershel games.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

It's not that they're focusing on one character's abilities, it's that they try to make sure that Apollo's and Athena's abilities are given "reasonable" explanations, and that they're like "nobody would believe that a yokai committed the murder" when two cases in the original trilogy hinged on whether a spirit medium was channeling somebody when a murder was committed, and one case involved an old case where the police consulted a medium. And it's specifically the same judge who presided over those cases, too - he greets Phoenix like an old friend.

They're not backing down on the Kurain stuff, trust me lolol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spellman posted:

I'm still convinced the writers now deliberately set aside one case per game in the newer games to go "let's gently caress with the localization team and see if they can work around this".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh they go right in the other direction for Spirit of Justice :v:.

You should go play Spirit of Justice.

Spellman posted:

Yeah, I figured the game named "Spirit of Justice" whose plot premise was "Remember Maya? So do we!" wouldn't be keeping up that particular trend.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm still convinced the writers now deliberately set aside one case per game in the newer games to go "let's gently caress with the localization team and see if they can work around this".
Yeah, Nine-Tails Vale especially definitely seems like the writing team throwing down the gauntlet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, Nine-Tails Vale especially definitely seems like the writing team throwing down the gauntlet.

Spirit of Justice just drops it again with the Rakugo storyteller.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh man, I totally forgot about the Layton games! I know there were some games for the series released on both the DS and 3DS. Should I bother hunting down the DS games or get those mobile HD versions? Does it matter what order I play them in?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They released the original game on iOS/Android. And there was a trademark for it on Switch. Stands to reason the rest of the games will probably get rereleases eventually.

Might be a while though and the games aren't rare or expensive on DS/3DS.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I was going to play spirit of justice on my phone soon. I haven't played it yet and it's more convenient than my 3DS I guess?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

I was going to play spirit of justice on my phone soon. I haven't played it yet and it's more convenient than my 3DS I guess?

Seems reasonable, but DS/3DS is a funner way to play, really love having the second screen for Ace Attorney. But you get nice HD visuals on the phone, so it's your choice

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Spirit of Justice actually has major performance issues on a 3DS so I really recommend another platform is possible.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Didn't notice, what are the issues, framerate?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's what performance issues usually means, yes. whenever anything beyond one model and a static background is on screen the game drops noticeably, and especially in investigation sections in a large room.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Spellman posted:

Didn't notice, what are the issues, framerate?

Yes, uneven framerate and it gets super bad if you play in 3D mode. Far from unplayable either way though (duh, it's a visual novel)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ya, I can imagine some of the fx driven witness tantrums probably tanked the framerate. Original Ace Attorney never had a lot of frames so it felt a like the originals to me. Probably looks great in HD and @ 60 tho

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
My phone is eternally short on space though. Stupid apple and their lovely 16gb phones. :argh:
Need to make room somehow.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I see, this is what I'm in for.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Things are only gonna get fishier from here

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I still love her "skull and crossbones but it's my own skull and the bones are my hair" look, not many people can rock that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commander Keene posted:

Oh buddy, you have barely scraped the barnacle-covered surface of this fishy tale :allears:.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

You ain't seen the half of it yet. This chapter is amazing in so many ways and I can't wait to hear your responses. :allears:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Don't worry, I won't flounder. It may be a whale of a task, but I'll seahorse it through.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Starting next month, no more credit cards to top up on your EShop account on the 3ds if you are in Europe:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/08/nintendo_removing_credit_card_support_from_3ds_and_wii_u_eshop_in_europe

Some comments on Reddit mention there's a specific type of payment method that was being used that has problems. Hopefully this won't extend to other regions. Otherwise I'll have to make a bunch of purchases really soon.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/AWinningCan/status/1165983958057836544
Seems like you should still be able to use the online store through a browser just fine. I suspect they simply don't want to patch the old-rear end systems to support the new way payment needs to be handled.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

notthegoatseguy posted:

Starting next month, no more credit cards to top up on your EShop account on the 3ds if you are in Europe:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/08/nintendo_removing_credit_card_support_from_3ds_and_wii_u_eshop_in_europe

Some comments on Reddit mention there's a specific type of payment method that was being used that has problems. Hopefully this won't extend to other regions. Otherwise I'll have to make a bunch of purchases really soon.

It's also a great method to make use of credit card theft by just dumping a shitload of irretrievable money into a digital currency like iTunes gift cards.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Anyway what I came here to post was that Ever Oasis is a massive sleeper that got unfairly shadowed over by the launch of the switch. If you've got a taste for action-adventure and casual base building/management, this game loving nails it on both of these fronts. Plus it's super cute and polished.

Thank god I noticed the game's got a free demo and tried it out on a complete whim. I would've been missing this masterpiece for even longer or possible forever!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
"authenticated through VISA" is 100% bullshit as anybody can tell.

EU just requires you to have 2 factor authentication on any systems handling payment data from now on.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Amppelix posted:

Anyway what I came here to post was that Ever Oasis is a massive sleeper that got unfairly shadowed over by the launch of the switch. If you've got a taste for action-adventure and casual base building/management, this game loving nails it on both of these fronts. Plus it's super cute and polished.

Thank god I noticed the game's got a free demo and tried it out on a complete whim. I would've been missing this masterpiece for even longer or possible forever!

Ever Oasis is great and it has the cutest fantasy races and is a great game to play when you're feeling bummed. Everyone loves you and showers you with praise in the game and sometimes you just need that in your life. :unsmith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How’s it compared to the Mana games? Considering playing it after I play through those 3 on Switch.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I often refer to it as a Mana game in conversations

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga for the 3DS. Apparently, a lot of people don't like it compared to the original but since I haven't played the original, I'm having a pretty good time with it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's a good remake. The Bowser's Minions story is meh, but it's extraneous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

I got Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga for the 3DS. Apparently, a lot of people don't like it compared to the original but since I haven't played the original, I'm having a pretty good time with it.

It’s a good remake imo. I think some people like the squishy more off model character designs from the original. I like them too but the sound and gameplay enhancements alone make the remake a lot better to play these days.