Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Oh hey my grandparents had that chandelier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Did they also have the unending screams of the tortured souls trapped within?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Antivehicular posted:

For a second I thought that wallpaper pattern was tiny Torgo heads

Baños: The Hands of Fart

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Youth Decay posted:

The suburbs of Canton, OH are not exactly a "destination".

i've spent a fair amount of time in that area and had no idea such a house could exist there

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

making GBS threads in Style: Finland Edition

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Getting some strong Toilet by Arabia vibes.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I swear that was my pediatrician's office around 1984.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

barbecue at the folks posted:

making GBS threads in Style: Finland Edition

What's to the left of that toilet? A narrow indoor lap pool, or something?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Were they from the south?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Welcome to this lovely McMansion

home of the hidden piano

and the tiniest grand piano.

Like an iceberg, 90% of the McMansion is hidden from view.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
love 2 take a golf cart to my weird blobby pool

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
That's probably the most tasteful Mcmansion I've ever seen. Pity they didn't hire someone to build them an actual mansion so they could avoid poo poo like pimply recessed lights next to their pretty chandelier.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

graph posted:

i've spent a fair amount of time in that area and had no idea such a house could exist there

Extremely :same:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

wesleywillis posted:

Were they from the south?

Connecticut, originally, but this house is in super rural Virginia.

(I kind of suspect this is a slavery question. The house is based around a cabin built in 1750 and we suspect there are slaves buried on the property.)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

drat your eyes, a dual piano shot is so rare

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's messing with my perceptions.

I keep trying to see it as a straight wall.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

there wolf posted:

That's probably the most tasteful Mcmansion I've ever seen. Pity they didn't hire someone to build them an actual mansion so they could avoid poo poo like pimply recessed lights next to their pretty chandelier.

What's the alternative to recessed lights? Is there something that would look better there?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MetaJew posted:

What's the alternative to recessed lights? Is there something that would look better there?

Wall sconces, or some kind of fixture that matched the chandelier better? If you absolutely must do recessed then there are options that call less attention so you don't look like you spent all your money on a big chandelier and then had to cheap out on the rest of your lighting. How to integrate modern stuff like return vents and smoke alarms into styles like Georgian that predate them is a challenge, but you can usually tell what's a compromise vs. what wasn't given any forethought. All that detail on the molding and then a basic vent cover right beneath it. Compare it to this-

Even the fake columns look better.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can hide uplighting in the elaborate crown molding, nothing visible but bright even light. Sucks in a massive room without additional central lighting but it's better than scattergun can installations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

RoastBeef posted:

home of the hidden piano

and the tiniest grand piano.

Like an iceberg, 90% of the McMansion is hidden from view.

Some if the interior work is beautiful. That huge appendage is garage, and clearly they have an RV given the one door, so I can forgive it. Take off some of the dormers and other unnecessary poo poo, clad fully in brick or stone, and it's not bad.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Connecticut, originally, but this house is in super rural Virginia.

(I kind of suspect this is a slavery question. The house is based around a cabin built in 1750 and we suspect there are slaves buried on the property.)

Yeah. I saw a chandelier which appeared to have black people "holding" lights. So I pretty much thought southern U.S... Super rural Virginia probably fits that bill.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Some if the interior work is beautiful. That huge appendage is garage, and clearly they have an RV given the one door, so I can forgive it. Take off some of the dormers and other unnecessary poo poo, clad fully in brick or stone, and it's not bad.

I also like that they've moved the garage entrances round the back so it's not so unsightly at the front.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah. I saw a chandelier which appeared to have black people "holding" lights. So I pretty much thought southern U.S... Super rural Virginia probably fits that bill.

They're monkeys. There's a whole monkey servant thing that pops up with British colonial stuff, and I have no idea if it's some direct line to racist caricature stuff or just happenstance.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

there wolf posted:

They're monkeys. There's a whole monkey servant thing that pops up with British colonial stuff, and I have no idea if it's some direct line to racist caricature stuff or just happenstance.

What does your heart tell you

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RoastBeef posted:

The one slightly larger garage door gives me immense "don't talk to me or my sons" vibes.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

there wolf posted:

Honestly shocked that anyone could think it was like, accidentally racist that British people would portray servants as monkeys

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

there wolf posted:

Winston Churchill posted:

The Aryan stock is bound to triumph

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Honestly shocked that anyone could think it was like, accidentally racist that British people would portray servants as monkeys

As a British person I approve this generalisation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

What does your heart tell you

Invest in Eastern Poland.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I unfortunately don't have more pictures of the house, I believe it would be a fun trip into what the Finnish upper middle class thought was chic in the 1970s. A narrow indoor pool would be spot on for the decade, though.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Badger of Basra posted:

Institutionalized racism makes people sound like loving idiots. Happenstance.... holy poo poo hahaha

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

https://www.twitter.com/jasontoon/status/1156094799381819392

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

Probably because that's not what I meant, but thanks for the woker-than-thou scolding everyone.

My point was I don't know if the monkey servant motif was created by the Brits, or merely adopted by them and (likely) recontextualized as a racist commentary on the servant class. I couldn't find any info about it when I looked, which was strange for something I could so readily identify with a particular style.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't think the tone was scolding (mine wasn't meant to be, sorry) just that racism is/was so pervasive in some cultures that it wasn't accidental, it was just normal.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Another house in sweden I found interesting
https://www.byggahus.se/runda-energieffektiva-villa-antligen

Rounded design, says it's more energy efficient.

It's no moominhouse

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the wall treatments and details are bit much, but the overall design looks pretty nice.

Can someone explain the roof covering to me

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also what's the deal with gaming chairs that look like racing chairs, what's the fashion choice there? Is it just that youtubers wanted something vaguely interesting looking in their face cams and teens buy them from that?

My car came with them and they're not exactly designed to be comfortable, wouldn't choose them for a desk.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also what's the deal with gaming chairs that look like racing chairs, what's the fashion choice there? Is it just that youtubers wanted something vaguely interesting looking in their face cams and teens buy them from that?

My car came with them and they're not exactly designed to be comfortable, wouldn't choose them for a desk.

lol every youtuber goes to such lengths to get a pristine white walled room with a little geometric succulent holder on a dark stained wood shelf beside a neon sign that says MAKE stuck to the wall, then its all capped off with a pleather red+black gamer chair

You'd think there would be like a geometric succulent holder equivalent of a gaming chair but the industry hasn't moved past HOT TOPIC aesthetics yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The chair companies gave the streamers them for free and paid them to use it on camera, just straight up marketing. Tons of streamers have commented on how lovely the chairs are once their deals ran out or whatever.