Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Cool he's found a way to simultaneously be massively pro-Israel and really loving antisemitic

Junior G-man posted:

Everybody desperately wants to go back to the "normal" Obama years.
Has the Super Bowl 50 halftime show become their 2012 Olympics opening ceremony yet?

E170 is chalk.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

I might have an hour or so free in Belfast this evening. I was going to just walk around and try to see some sights, but I'm open to any recommendations of cool or interesting things.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I feel like my brain is melting from reading this insane screed

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1164141943665897473?s=19

Doesn't this break the ihma definition and examples by conflating Israel and jewdism?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The IHRA definition only matters when it can be used against the left.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Junior G-man posted:

Everybody desperately wants to go back to the "normal" Obama years.

But they didn't even have an Olympics!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

How the gently caress is this guy the favourite for the Dems candidacy?

It's coz he was Obama's VP and also they are absolutely petrified of the prospect of a President who is to the left of Obama and isn't tumescent at the prospect of bombing all over the world.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Still B.A.E posted:

I might have an hour or so free in Belfast this evening. I was going to just walk around and try to see some sights, but I'm open to any recommendations of cool or interesting things.

The Botanic gardens is nice- especially the tropical ravine which has some amazing plants and smells lovely. On the same site is the Ulster Museum which is super interesting if you like machinery from the industrial revolution. It has been a while since I've been there but their exhibit on the troubles is also well thought out and presents a fairly neutral view.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Excuse me while I clutch my pearls.... Chief Inspector for Manchester City View

https://twitter.com/CherieButtle/status/1162766534344921097?s=20

In case she zaps it:

Why is she directing that at what seems to be a manchester homeless charity? Also is that a ratio?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Niric posted:

It's going to depend a lot on when the election is. If it's before 31st Oct (highly unlikely I'd guess) then the message will be something along the lines of "Fed up of Brexit? Boris will finish the job." If it's post-31st Oct, the message will be more like "Boris delivered Brexit as promised, now let him make Britain Great Again." I think you're being overly optimistic about the zeitgeist being the Tories have/will crash the economy; this isn't a Labour in 2010 situation where there's been a massive financial crash and 2 years for its effects to be felt by a broad cross section of society. Labour can't run on a equivalent platform to the Tories' 2010 devastatingly effective "Labour spent all the pounds" - a message that's clear, simple and plays into deeply embedded assumptions about each party (EDIT: and worked again, to ever better effect, in 2015). Something like "the Tories did a Brexit and now we're hosed" might be true, but I don't think it works in anything like the same way, and I don't think Labour are (or will be) viewed as a "steady hand" by many beyond current Labour voters.

That doesn't mean I think we're hosed come an election, but I'm very, very skeptical that the Tories are in as bad electoral shape and you're suggesting

I mean, the election we’re talking about is the potential one that might happen if Corbyn forms this post-VONC unity government. Which would be before Brexit (with an extension negotiated). The Tories can now only deliver a no deal Brexit, so any post-Brexit election could be fought with the message “Remember when your diabetic family members died and you had to beat your neighbour to death for a loaf of bread? The Tories did that.”

This is hellworld, so god knows Labour could still lose and it certainly won’t be easy street for them, but the Tories face huge challenges in any election.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Private Speech posted:

As a euro who is currently looking for work I should probably stop reading this thread, it's not good for my mental health.

Also why I get so much time to post lately.

It's a serious worry, over half my team are Euro's and they're going round the houses on whatever this weeks scheme and fees are for registering but no one seems to be able to tell them what's up and we cannot find out what the business can do for them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also is that a ratio?

That is indeed a ratio :eyepop:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

peanut- posted:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/taxbeating/article-7376787/Self-employed-face-losing-homes-innocently-using-tax-loophole.html

Sorry for the Mail link, but I don’t get this at all. These people just didn’t pay any income tax for years or even decades and we’re meant to feel sorry for them? Why the gently caress are 150 MPs trying to get them some kind of special waiver?

gently caress tax loopholes, but having dealt with people that are given shite advice from these vulture companies, a lot of them will be victims in this.

The real target should be the companies that give the wank advice out but as if the tories will ever target financial advisors.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rarity posted:

That is indeed a ratio :eyepop:

Once you cross 10:1 you're already dead and should delet acct

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Sanitary Naptime posted:

gently caress tax loopholes, but having dealt with people that are given shite advice from these vulture companies, a lot of them will be victims in this.

The real target should be the companies that give the wank advice out but as if the tories will ever target financial advisors.

If someone calls you up and says “hey, do you want to pay yourself with non-repayable loans from an offshore shell company and magically all your income tax will disappear, it’s all completely kosher I swear guv” and you decide to go with it, I’m pretty sceptical of how much culpability you can push off onto the advisor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Innocently using a tax loophole" is an impressive phrase I gotta say.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
It was a lovely idea, but people were advised at the time (by accountants and Hmrc themselves) that it was legal. Now Hmrc are going back to 1999 and saying "oh we've decided this is illegal so we'll retrospectively charge you 20 years tax on those years you thought were closed. In one year, so at a top tax rate. Pay up in the next six months. With penalties."

It's the retrospective taxation that's the real issue. Imagine being told you need to pay an extra ten percent income tax on everything you earnt since the turn of the millennium.

And of course this is going to hit all the bougies on 50k a year (including for example some NHS people who were told they would only be employed using this scheme) rather than any proper tax avoiders like large companies or actual rich people.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
I don't know if this is completely the same thing, but I've met many a contractor over the years who has told me with immense satisfaction that I'm a mug for paying tax and you just pay yourself a loan from your own company etc etc so my heart absolutely bleeds for these people.

Normally if you underpay tax and can't pay it back as a single sum they work out a payment plan that fits your income so I'm not sure how people are supposedly losing their houses here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Excuse me while I clutch my pearls.... Chief Inspector for Manchester City View

https://twitter.com/CherieButtle/status/1162766534344921097?s=20

In case she zaps it:

https://twitter.com/maddogshomeless/status/1164051657371656194?s=21

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RockyB posted:

It was a lovely idea, but people were advised at the time (by accountants and Hmrc themselves) that it was legal. Now Hmrc are going back to 1999 and saying "oh we've decided this is illegal so we'll retrospectively charge you 20 years tax on those years you thought were closed. In one year, so at a top tax rate. Pay up in the next six months. With penalties."

It's the retrospective taxation that's the real issue. Imagine being told you need to pay an extra ten percent income tax on everything you earnt since the turn of the millennium.

And of course this is going to hit all the bougies on 50k a year (including for example some NHS people who were told they would only be employed using this scheme) rather than any proper tax avoiders like large companies or actual rich people.

Apparently it was Parliament that made it illegal, too, not HMRC itself.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

RockyB posted:

Did HMRC actually say it was legal? The most I've seen is people complaining that they gave the impression it was legal by not clamping down on it sooner.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

peanut- posted:

If someone calls you up and says “hey, do you want to pay yourself with non-repayable loans from an offshore shell company and magically all your income tax will disappear, it’s all completely kosher I swear guv” and you decide to go with it, I’m pretty sceptical of how much culpability you can push off onto the advisor.

“You don’t have to do that, but it’s pretty complicated to explain, but I’ll take care of it all for a small fee and you’ll still save money”.

Trust me, there are vulnerable people who end up in self employed positions that absolutely get abused by these cunts and they’re never made to be aware about it.

That’s not to say a lot of them aren’t just as bad and are absolutely complicit, but as usual, the gently caress em all approach doesn’t hold up to scrutiny if you’re really trying to look out for the vulnerable.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Important to remember than it many cases it wasn't initiated by the people who got hit by it, they were just told that in order to work here you need to use this scheme. Hmrc says it's fine!

Goes back to the turn of the millennium IR35 introduction and employers trying to work out the 'best' way to fake employ someone.

Close the scheme down, go after the promoters, charge people the right tax on the open years (i.e this and last). If your incompetence causes something like this to be a "loophole" for 20 years, you don't get to do a massive gently caress-you tax raid going right back to the start. Especially when you've been told here have already been confirmed suicides over it.

Disclaimer: nope, never used the scheme myself. It was obviously dodgy. But just because I'm a clever sod doesn't mean everyone is.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

"Innocently using a tax loophole" is an impressive phrase I gotta say.

Otherwise law-abiding

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I do wish that the people smearing Corbyn were as bad at it as the Americans:

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1164160112585576449

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

RockyB posted:

Close the scheme down, go after the promoters, charge people the right tax on the open years (i.e this and last). If your incompetence causes something like this to be a "loophole" for 20 years, you don't get to do a massive gently caress-you tax raid going right back to the start. Especially when you've been told here have already been confirmed suicides over it.

Disclaimer: nope, never used the scheme myself. It was obviously dodgy. But just because I'm a clever sod doesn't mean everyone is.

You’d be daft not to sign up for every grey area tax dodge scheme going if the penalty when HMRC makes a decision on it is that you only pay the tax due for the two open years.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

HMRC posted:

HMRC can help those who are genuinely unable to make a full payment of tax owed on time. We can agree payments by instalments and will carefully consider an individual’s ability to pay on a case-by-case basis. There is no maximum limit on how long someone can be given to pay what they owe, and this will be based on our assessment of income and expenditure.

A dedicated HMRC team is focused on working with those who are not able to pay the charge on disguised remuneration loans by the payment deadline and supporting them to agree a manageable payment plan..

So 'paying it back this month with interest or your kneecaps are ours' seems a bit much?

I get that people have been swept up by dodgy middlemen etc. but I still think there seems to be a sudden overabundance of naivety from a lot of people. Also this has never been confirmed 'ok' by HMRC and been on the cards since 2016.

If you underpay tax in any other fashion they come after you retroactively, why not here?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

:)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Aramoro posted:

It's a serious worry, over half my team are Euro's and they're going round the houses on whatever this weeks scheme and fees are for registering but no one seems to be able to tell them what's up and we cannot find out what the business can do for them.

I'm pretty sure for the latter there's nothing, aside from maybe some form of letter from an employer, but even then that's probably not needed for the vast majority of folks.

Even the bloody civil service itself continues to insist that despite whatever Johnson and Patti said there's actually nothing different (this is an email everyone on the scheme got today from the Home Office):

quote:

Update on the EU Settlement Scheme
There have been reports in the media and on social media regarding plans to end freedom of movement after we leave the EU, as well as what this means for EU citizens resident in the UK.

We want to reassure all EU citizens and their family members in the UK that you still have until at least 31 December 2020 to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, even in the event of a no-deal exit. Furthermore, if someone who is eligible for status is not in the UK when we leave the EU, they will still be free to enter the UK as they are now.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Education isn't the issue. Once the laws get so complex that you need a middleman to interpret them then the system is too complex. Like, regular off the street people should be able to understand the laws they're meant to obey. Education will help with most of them, but anyone who is expecting people to understand financial and litigation law on their own is dreaming.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sanitary Naptime posted:

The state of financial education is pitiful to non existent and leaves a lot of people as easy pickings for bastard vulture companies and the worst kind of people, tax accountants.

I'm sure there's no correlation between these two things :thunkher:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

If someone has to assure you that something's legal it's probably not something that's okay to do and you probably know it

(that said, retroactively changing the rules for working class people is a shameless cash grab)

e:

Miftan posted:

Education isn't the issue. Once the laws get so complex that you need a middleman to interpret them then the system is too complex. Like, regular off the street people should be able to understand the laws they're meant to obey. Education will help with most of them, but anyone who is expecting people to understand financial and litigation law on their own is dreaming.
Have mulled this myself, there's no workable litigation system that would let ordinary people fight trained litigators on an even footing imo. The solution isn't to change the system, it's to nationalise the industry.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 21, 2019

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Well the issue is that they need to work out a payment plan that fits what they can afford and not be cruelly bankrupted overnight surely.

Not a no questions asked waiver for any previous wrongdoing on account of the fact they say they were ignorant of what they were doing (which I believe in many cases); it's not a defence anywhere else in law so why here.

I'm admittedly bias in that I've had all sorts of blokes from guys contracting for mega bucks at investment banks to blokes working for a few quid on construction sites tell me oh it's great I pay no tax and always responded you know you're totally hosed the moment they decide to look at you at all right? And lo it has happened.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
And yeah the vulture middlemen absolutely should be rounded up and shot; doesn't change that the people that underpaid tax still owe what they owe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

If someone has to assure you that something's legal it's probably not something that's okay to do and you probably know it
Counterpoint: There's a lot of cases in employment or benefits where doing something is not only legal but the right thing to do, but people don't because they've been conditioned to not make a fuss or worry they'll 'get in trouble' and that's a very useful mindset for the ruling class.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Some shipping container homes are pretty cool.

I'd be willing to bet that these aren't what homeless children are being stuffed in though.

There is literally no reason whatsoever for a shipping container to be involved at any point in that process. Fine, build prefab homes to TEU dimensions to make delivery easier. but you either have to modify the shipping container so much that it'd be cheaper to just start from scratch or you have something completely uninhabitable that will have costlier maintenance and a shorter shelf life than post-war Orlit homes.

Once again some design student somewhere has A Big loving Idea and people have to suffer because it sounds much cooler than designs with literal centuries of refinement behind them.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

:)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Rustybear posted:

I'm admittedly bias in that I've had all sorts of blokes from guys contracting for mega bucks at investment banks to blokes working for a few quid on construction sites tell me oh it's great I pay no tax and always responded you know you're totally hosed the moment they decide to look at you at all right? And lo it has happened.

This. I can acknowledge there are probably some truly perplexed innocent victims of predatory advisors out there, but most of the people using this scheme knew exactly what they were doing and the idea they should get away with only having to pay for the last couple of years is a joke.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So the latest Brexit plan is for the Tories to demand EU pays for the war against Ireland they're going to start to make sure the will of the British people is being obeyed, and that the Liberal Democrats are going to push through the hardest Brexit possible so they can blame Corbyn for what happened and explain afterwards how they had to cause Brexit in order to make it clear post-Brexit how much they opposed Brexit. And that they're planning to avoid the economical impact by making anyone unemployed or disabled homeless, then packing the homeless in shipping containers, then sinking the shipping containers in the Irish Sea in order to create a land bridge to transport all the wood they're clearcutting from Ireland so they can build ships for the British Empire.

Have I got this about right?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Miftan posted:

Why?

If the vast majority of people in the country will never have any need to understand a particular set of laws, like VAT say, what’s so wrong if the small number who do have to then get a qualified professional to help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Your plan is too plausible but it's certainly thematically correct.