Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He gets as fat as he can because he knows no one will call him out on it.

HairyManling posted:

No idea if the OP misread lb for kg, but I don’t think that’s the point. Herbert wrote that a 440 pound man was the upper limit for what a corpulent human could achieve from his 1965 perspective. The baron was so fat he required repulsor lifts to move and so on. And now we have tv shows where people weigh 600 - 800 pounds. 440 pounds sounds almost fit compared to an 800 pound person who can’t even get out of bed. I’m with the OP. Herbert grossly miscalculated how loving fat people could become if given enough chance.

Remember Judge Dredd with the Fatties? They didn't even know what a 400+ pound person would look like. (worse than we ever imagined, it turns out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doc Hawkins posted:

i don't know that the baron was supposed to be as fat as he possibly could be

There's just enough of him to love

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Dune 2000 is freeware and you can do some very basic .ini clicking to play in modern resolutions.

CNCNet lets you play the campaigns, skirmish vs. ai, and has a fairly robust online lobby system!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Kanine posted:

wow i loving hate it now! thank you so much somethingawfuldotcom forums user DebonaireD!

I didn't know talking about something was supposed to magically make you have the opinions, wow. learn something new everyday

DebonaireD posted:

Really? Cause I never hear anyone talking about the characters, story, acting, etc. or anything besides the production and effects.

That's because there was barely a plot, the plot that did exist was pretty much all over the place, and could have taken up a paragraph. Nobody watched that film for the plot, and if anyone did, they most likely left the theatre about halfway through.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

My headcanon is that he's 200kg including the effects of the repulsors. So an enormously fat gently caress.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

skasion posted:

BR2049’s plot is kind of a mess and overreaches hugely but the subplot about K’s relationship with Joi is no-poo poo good sci-fi.

For what it's worth I like 2049 more than the original, but they're both great.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

SILENCE!

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/1163931007394803713

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > [Dune Thread] [Thread about Frank Herbert's Dune] [No @Duneauthor Zone]

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ehhh, it's not terrible...

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I want Dune to be dirty. I abhor how clean and sleek and plastic modern movies are.
The sietches are supposed to be visceral , not filthy, not nasty, but not shying away from the abject reality of what it takes to survive in such hostile terrain.
to see a Freman in a stillsuit is akin to seeing them naked. I don't want to see Chani take down the hood of her stillsuit and have perfect flowing hair, and looking like she just stepped out of a makeup salon.

also I hope there are some pugs in there somewhere

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I don't want to see Chani take down the hood of her stillsuit and have perfect flowing hair, and looking like she just stepped out of a makeup salon.

That's what the XXX parody is for. That being said, looking forward to "Poon" next year.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

givepatajob posted:

That's what the XXX parody is for. That being said, looking forward to "Poon" next year.

Squirting: fake or real ultimate sign of affection or wasteful selfishness deserving of death?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Squirting: fake or real ultimate sign of affection or wasteful selfishness deserving of death?

Waste of Moisture if not collected. Belongs to the tribe.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Waste of Moisture if not collected. Belongs to the tribe.

I mean not to be pedantic but I'm certain it's collected.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

DandyLion posted:

I mean not to be pedantic but I'm certain it's collected.

The orgy rooms all have channels built into the floor to collect fluids and direct them to a holding tank to be reclaimed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Swallowing is considered theft of the tribe’s jizzwater

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole point of a sietch I thought is to be sealed to prevent moisture escaping and have as much of a contained ecosystem as you can like a stillsuit at large, since even Fremen can't function without somewhere to take the catheter out every now and again. And y'know, have babies and that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole point of a sietch I thought is to be sealed to prevent moisture escaping and have as much of a contained ecosystem as you can like a stillsuit at large, since even Fremen can't function without somewhere to take the catheter out every now and again. And y'know, have babies and that.

sure, but they still saw tears as a major important thing

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

priznat posted:

Spitting is a token of respect.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
After finally getting around to watching the new Bladerunner, I think they definitely chose the right director for the new Dune movie. Hope it isn't poo poo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

priznat posted:

Nah you just have to pay the person in earrings that represent the literjons you've consumed after you've had the honor of doing so.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Chocobo posted:

After finally getting around to watching the new Bladerunner, I think they definitely chose the right director for the new Dune movie. Hope it isn't poo poo.

Agreed. Though he pretty much chose himself. He was the driving force trying to get in and make it, and said in interviews that it was one of his longtime lifegoals.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Usul gives water for the horny!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Distilling my big wet farts for the sietch

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

There been anything new as far as casting with the upcoming movie or is that all pretty much done?

Also I'll admit half the reason I'm asking is because I miss the posts with Count Fenring's picture being the babby in a chain coif from holy grail.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

wow, rude, he has a name. a title, even!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought principle photography already wrapped

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Honky Dong Country posted:

There been anything new as far as casting with the upcoming movie or is that all pretty much done?

Also I'll admit half the reason I'm asking is because I miss the posts with Count Fenring's picture being the babby in a chain coif from holy grail.

House Atriedes:
Duke Leto Atriedes

Jurgen Prochnow - Lynch

William Hurt - Series

Oscar Isaac - Villeneuve

Lady Jessica

Francesca Annis - Lynch

Saskia Reeves - Series

Alice Krige - Children of Dune

Rebecca Ferguson - Villeneuve

Paul Atriedes

Kyle MacLachlan- Lynch

Alec Newman - Series

Timothee Chalamet - Villeneuve

Gourney Halleck

Patrick Stewart - Lynch

P.H. Moriarty - Series

Josh Brolin - Villeneuve

Duncan Idaho

Richard Jordan - Lynch

James Watson - Series

Edward Atterton - Children of Dune

Jason Momoa - Villeneuve

Thufir Hawat

Freddie Jones - Lynch

Jan Vlasak - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Wellington Yueh

Dean Stockwell - Lynch

Robert Russell - Series

Chang Chen - Villeneuve

Alia

Alicia Witt - Lynch

Laura Burton - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

House Harkonnen:
Baron Vladmir Harkonnen

Kenneth McMillan - Lynch

Ian McNeice - Series

Stellan Skarsgard - Villeneuve

Piter DeVries

Brad Dourif - Lynch

Jan Unger - Series

David Dastmalchian - Villeneuve

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen

Sting - Lynch

Matt Keeslar - Series

TBD-Villeneuve

Glossu Beast Rabban

Paul L Smith - Lynch

Laszlo Kish - Series

David Bautista - Villeneuve

Fremen:
Bob Stilgar

Everett McGill - Lynch

Uwe Ochsenknecht - Series

Steven Berkoff - Children of Dune

Javier Bardem - Villeneuve

Chani

Sean Young - Lynch

Barbora Kodetova - Series

Zendaya - Villeneuve

Liet Kynes

Max Von Sidow - Lynch

Karel Dobry - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Shadout Mapes

Linda Hunt - Lynch

Jaroslava Siktancova - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Jamis

Judd Omen - Lynch

Christopher Lee Brown - Series

Babs Olusanmokun - Villeneuve

Harah

Molly Wryn - Lynch (Alan Smythee version)
N/A - Series

Gloria Obianyo - Villeneuve

House Corrino:
Padisha Emperor Shaddam IV

Jose Ferrer - Lynch

Giancarlo Gianni - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Princess Irulan

Virgina Madsen - Lynch

Julie Cox - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Hasmimir Fenrig

N/A - Lynch

Miroslav Taborsky - Series

TBD - Villeneuve

Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Sian Phillips - Lynch

Zuzana Geislerova - Series

Charlotte Rampling - Villeneuve

Stephen McKinley Henderson - Probably Hawat, but no confirmation.

Shannon Duncan Brewster - Rumored to be Mapes.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 19, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hasmimir Fenrig

N/A - Lynch

lmao hell yeah

But no seriously I do appreciate the repost, I honestly wasn't sure what the latest was.

Man I really want to know who Thufir and Feyd are. (I see the rumors on Thufir but still)

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 21, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Aahhhhh that casting just rules all-round for the 2020 film. Gets me all pumped for it when I see that picture list!

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I need to know who Feyd is.

Lovely... lovely Feyd.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
thanks for the reminder about how outstanding the cast is. movie gonna be good yall.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Gonna lay the smackdown on chumps who never read the book.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BR was a badass noir movie, BR2049 was a mediocre action movie

I'm not too worried about dune getting hosed up, though

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

WarMECH posted:

I need to know who Feyd is.

Lovely... lovely Feyd.

Hint: it is Bautista

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Lomarfing irl at Leto thinkin about getting a big rear end fake worm dilz

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i don't know that they'll combine feyd and rabban, but they definitely could

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

and they definitely should not. That would be the first news I disliked. Greatly.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Combining feyd and rabban might be fine, rabban is barely there as is. Giving everything to rabban and making him a composite would be fine. A few things would probably also need to change with it but i imagine it'll end up serving the same purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Strongly disagree. It's a plot point to have the two different heirs so that the Baron can play them against eachother and the population of Arrakis against the favorite. They're not very interesting characters but combining them would be dumb.

Also the idea of a skinny little kid like Timo-thee Atreides fighting Bautista Rabban is ridiculous; he's snap the kid in half.