Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

baka kaba posted:

Y'alls with the crazy flashing when you do a post preview, what version of Android are you on? (there's a version number if you go to About Phone in your settings)
also are you adding anything special in your posts, like video or tweet urls that get embedded? does it happen in particular threads or forums?

7.1.1. Istr it happens with and without special stuff. Particular threads or forums no idea. If I keep backing out and trying again it'll usually behave eventually, and sometimes if I just wait it'll stop by itself. Fwiw it's not happening terribly often for me.

E: amusingly it happened with this one, and stopped on its own after less than two seconds. Going to preview again right now...

Did it again and stopped after about five seconds. Gonna add some emotes...

:gooncamp::supaburn:

Flickered once. :shrug:

And that time not at all. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

oh ok yeah, I can get it to keep happening with just some text if I repeat it enough times, think the delay with the site is making it freak out when it has to redraw the popup with content when it finally arrives

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Have had the flickering on 8.1.0.

fake edit: flickered with just the above.

First for a second, then on a second attempt for three seconds.
The preview box size was eventually radically different in both attempts, despite being for the exact same content, which is weird!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

baka kaba posted:

oh ok yeah, I can get it to keep happening with just some text if I repeat it enough times, think the delay with the site is making it freak out when it has to redraw the popup with content when it finally arrives

That makes sense because the site has been flaky/laggy all day today, for me anyhow.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hipster_Doofus posted:

That makes sense because the site has been flaky/laggy all day today, for me anyhow.

Same

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

baka kaba posted:

Y'alls with the crazy flashing when you do a post preview, what version of Android are you on? (there's a version number if you go to About Phone in your settings)
also are you adding anything special in your posts, like video or tweet urls that get embedded? does it happen in particular threads or forums?

Android 9 right now but I'm sure it was on earlier versions because it's been happening for quite a while.

I get the flashing with simple text posts but it's most annoying when I have special stuff in the post because the preview is more important to see if my post will look okay.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Now's probably not a good time to test it. The forums are acting up because the search feature is being reindexed.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think I got it sorted now, cheers gang

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

baka kaba posted:

hey thanks for the effort with this, some of the PM stuff is old and needs an overhaul, but I'll add it as an issue

Awesome! I actually cloned the github repo last week to try and take a look myself, but ran out of time on my day off and also don't have an android emulator set up so I was mostly going to be guessing at CSS. I think I found something halfway relevant, but my notes are back at home.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah there's some css issues but I've rejigged the display so it's using the same HTML as everything else now, so that fixed a bunch of stuff - the blanking is something to do with the content getting cleared when there's a config change I think, I haven't investigated it yet - sometimes the theme updates fine and then a split second later it disappears

I'll push it later in case you want to play around!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

baka kaba posted:

Yeah there's some css issues but I've rejigged the display so it's using the same HTML as everything else now, so that fixed a bunch of stuff - the blanking is something to do with the content getting cleared when there's a config change I think, I haven't investigated it yet - sometimes the theme updates fine and then a split second later it disappears

I'll push it later in case you want to play around!

Just received the update! My PMs are legible! Thank you

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The three dot menu is working on my Amazon Fire HD 10 again, my hero!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh man I don't know when it was added but rap sheet navigation is a breeze thank you!

I love snooping on probates in threads I lurk.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Using the OLED theme I now see a horizontal scrollbar while scrolling inside a thread. Seems like there is something forcing the view to be too wide by 5-10px or so, judging by the scroll amount. Works fine when using the Normal or Dark theme.

Anyone else get the same?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SirViver posted:

Using the OLED theme I now see a horizontal scrollbar while scrolling inside a thread. Seems like there is something forcing the view to be too wide by 5-10px or so, judging by the scroll amount. Works fine when using the Normal or Dark theme.

It was just fixed today (maybe only in the beta channel).

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SirViver posted:

Yeah, I get the same with the OLED theme, I'm on beta.

E: ... and just got an update that fixed it :D

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I don't even know why there's a beta channel. Just push all that poo poo to prod and we'll do prod validation like real posters

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah the update went out to both - beta and prod are the same version right now!

beta is where we break stuff intentionally

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I can preview posts now, but I still can't rate threads.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Yeah the update went out to both - beta and prod are the same version right now!

beta is where we break stuff intentionally
Awesome! Thank you :D

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^ no probs!

Kheldarn posted:

I can preview posts now, but I still can't rate threads.

why what does it say

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yesterday the scroll bar thread position thingy on the right was just gone

Today it's back. Might be a handset fluke but just thoughti may as well post in case others saw this minor weirdness

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It showed up because I changed the way the ... menu is positioned and it was growing with the text and overflowing the edge of the post, making the page wider than the screeen

I set it to a fixed size and it should hopefully behave itself now, that's what the most recent mini update was - it shouldn't be happening anymore. But I have seen embedded stuff (instagrams specifically) that overflows the post area and causes the same issue. Not sure what's up with that, but if you do see the scrollbar, can you check if anything on the page is escaping from a post?

also screenshots and links to the offending page help, especially if it's not an instagram doing it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

It showed up because I changed the way the ... menu

Petition to rename this the Golgo 13 menu.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

why what does it say

Apparently, one of two things happened:

1) There was another update that was just pushed
2) My update didn't take

I opened the app on my tablet, and it gave me the popup with the new version notes, which my phone never did. However, I hadn't updated it on my tablet, so that was weird. Updated it on my tablet, was able to rate the thread fine. Checked the Play Store on my phone, and there was an update. Installed it, opened it, got the What's New popup, and I can rate threads.

Whatever happened, it's all working fine now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I rate that post a 5, glad this is an absolutely zero problem update!!!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

I rate that post a 5, glad this is an absolutely zero problem update!!!

I found a bug :v:

The find on page is really hard to read. Might be stuck in dark mode?

Truly a hardship

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Been having performance issues in more or less random threads the last couple of weeks, like some of the other people on the previous page. Seems to be something with disabling gif animations stuff that really slows down scrolling on threads with a lot of smilies or animated avatars.

Enabling gif animations seems to fix the issue completely.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

yeah people have mentioned it but I've never seen it myself, so it's hard to diagnose - plus people said it started happening when the app hadn't even updated in a while, which makes me think it's related to something external like the WebView/Chrome (could also be external javascript like for embedding tweets, but you'd expect that to affect everyone)

if y'all who are seeing it don't mind, can you answer these:
- do you see it on every page or just sometimes?
- if it's only some of the time, does refreshing the same page change anything?
- is there anything special on those pages, like embedded tweets or videos? anything broken like images?
- got a link to a page where it happens?
- what version of Android are you on? (look under "About phone" in your settings) Is Chrome/your webview up to date?

Charles posted:

I found a bug :v:

The find on page is really hard to read. Might be stuck in dark mode?

Truly a hardship

yeah I think that's on the list and it turned out to be trickier to fix than you'd think, I'll take a look though!

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

baka kaba posted:

if y'all who are seeing it don't mind, can you answer these:
- do you see it on every page or just sometimes?
- if it's only some of the time, does refreshing the same page change anything?
- is there anything special on those pages, like embedded tweets or videos? anything broken like images?
- got a link to a page where it happens?
- what version of Android are you on? (look under "About phone" in your settings) Is Chrome/your webview up to date?
- only sometimes
- no, it's just as laggy
- last time it happened was on some page in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849778 which usually has nothing embedded, except a lot of smilies on some pages
- Android 9, August update. Chrome is up to date

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

hmmm ok, page 3 of the farts thread is pretty laggy for me, page 5 lags a little when you scroll past a bunch of embedded youtubes but the rest seems mostly ok, is that where you're getting it too?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Running the oled theme

If I visit the CCCC in byob, from then on random threads will be highlighted in byob colours, a nice stripe of pinky purple across an otherwise black screen

Persists until a restart

E: I kind of like it, maybe don't fix it

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 21, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh yeah I've seen that before, I'll add it to the list if it's not on there

You mean restarting the app though right? You don't need to reboot your phone, just close the app so it starts fresh

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

baka kaba posted:

Oh yeah I've seen that before, I'll add it to the list if it's not on there

You mean restarting the app though right? You don't need to reboot your phone, just close the app so it starts fresh

Yeah sorry I edited, restart not reboot

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

lol

code:
        if (thread.isLocked && !thread.isSticky) {
            // TODO: 03/06/2017 what's this about?
            item.setBackgroundColor(ColorProvider.BACKGROUND.getColor(forumId));
        }
still no idea what that's about but I bet it's the culprit

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

baka kaba posted:

hmmm ok, page 3 of the farts thread is pretty laggy for me, page 5 lags a little when you scroll past a bunch of embedded youtubes but the rest seems mostly ok, is that where you're getting it too?

Yes, but page 15 is way worse for me

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Is there gonna be anything done for holes/notches/whattheshit fancyfuckery on phones? On the note 10+ it just sort of ends before the camera and all that probably useless space is just black.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Since the last update I've been having a thing happen where when I open a new thread, the previous thread I was reading shows for a second or two while the new thread loads. It also gets laggy with scrolling. This only happens after the app has been running for a while and restarting the app fixes the problem for a while.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just got a new phone (samsung galaxy a10, android version 9) and the navigation buttons on the bottom are white, even though I use the dark theme on the awful app and night mode on my phone. Any way to fix this so the buttons are dark as they should be?

E: I mean the android buttons, not the app's navigation buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Taeke posted:

I just got a new phone (samsung galaxy a10, android version 9) and the navigation buttons on the bottom are white, even though I use the dark theme on the awful app and night mode on my phone. Any way to fix this so the buttons are dark as they should be?

E: I mean the android buttons, not the app's navigation buttons.

You'll have to go into the phone's settings, if imagine. Although this sounds more like a question for the general Android thread.