Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bobulus posted:

Like, the infinite scrolling thing is an interesting idea in theory for archive reading. Have the page load up comics 122, 123, and 124 while you're reading 121 so that you never have to wait for a page to load. But combining that with links to other places in the comic means that you're either juggling tabs or losing all that pre-loading whenever you check a link.

Add to that the wonderful web 2.0 experience that is the in-browser 3d rendering of all the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

what the gently caress is there to 3d render in Sluggy

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mors Rattus posted:

what the gently caress is there to 3d render in Sluggy

http://archives.sluggy.com/books.php

IS IT NOT NIFTY?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
is it not nifty

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
it is not nifty

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oh

:(

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I find the reference links funny because Pete probably wishes someone would care enough about his comic to maintain a wiki, but since no one does, he has to. He is his comic's only fan.

Regardless, his prime webpage sin is still not having back/forward buttons and forcing you to engage with his awful, awful archive.

https://sluggy.fandom.com/wiki/Niftypedia

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This thread really likes to make poo poo up huh

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Honestly, I can't find it in myself to hate Sluggy Freelance. It's just...there. A long-running webcomic that doesn't affect my life, or really anyone's lives.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i love sluggy freelance for what it is, the lasting testament of a man's devotion to his life's work. if we all had abrams' sheer dedication to what he does the world would be a much better place

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, I found that before I wrote the post. It's pretty clearly been abandoned for a while now, so there's no one maintaining a wiki for his comic.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Greetings from the better webcomic thread:

Cat Mattress posted:

Something that might interest the thread:

quote:

Oh, hello everybody!
While you’re waiting for Chapter 3, could I interest you in a reread of the story so far? Follow the links below for the first two chapters in high resolution. They will be free to download till the end of the month!
Back to work!

Download chapter 1!
Download chapter 2!

You can get them in PDF and CBR flavors. (CBRs are just rared jpgs.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
In other comic talk, I don't think I've heard anybody mention Devil's Candy before? It's been going on a while and has surprisingly high production values.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Bobbins is back. Sort of.

No schedule yet, but Giant Days is ending and his other projects are winding down. Writing about Shelly Winters is the ground state of John Allison, so I expect more comics soon.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

In other comic talk, I don't think I've heard anybody mention Devil's Candy before? It's been going on a while and has surprisingly high production values.

Man I remember when that featured in one of Tokyopop's Rising Stars of Manga GM's.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

interesting comic. lotta disturbing imagery. dont know where its going with it yet

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phy posted:

That reminds me, Ringo once wrote Bun-bun into a book (as nose art on a tank, IIRC)

I read that book cause I read Sluggy at the time, I remember it being pretty bog standard mil SF. It would be several years until I heard about Oh John Ringo No.
Same. It was incredibly bad and somehow I tried to read another of his books and it was worse.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I would have zero problem believing that Sluggy Freelance still enjoys a large and devoted following of subterranean morlock-creatures who diverged from baseline humanity back around the dot-com boom
Sluggy fandom was a big part of what got me online, and it was a super nice and supportive community. I was like 12 or 13 when I started and nobody so much as trolled the site. Sluggy fans are just nice people who like lame jokes.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
What a horrible night to have a curse.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Modern AU Widdershins is the cutest poo poo in the universe.

While originally my balls were bluer than the sky at switching PoV to a new cast of characters after the conclusion of the previous long running arc, I appreciate why it made sense to do and Knotty/Will/Eliza have been a fantastic addition to the world. :3:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Realistically it's not like it was likely to launch into a solo Wolfe chapter, so it's not like this bunch was ever any more disappointing than anything else.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Captain Oblivious posted:

While originally my balls were bluer than the sky at switching PoV to a new cast of characters after the conclusion of the previous long running arc, I appreciate why it made sense to do and Knotty/Will/Eliza have been a fantastic addition to the world. :3:

That was my exact intention so I'm very glad it worked!

Straight White Shark posted:

Realistically it's not like it was likely to launch into a solo Wolfe chapter, so it's not like this bunch was ever any more disappointing than anything else.
:v:

The kickstarter for that last one is up now if anyone's interested! woop woop webcomics

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
With Giant Days wrapping up, John Allison will soon be returning to webcomics:

Allison's email newsletter which you should really be subscribed to posted:

And I'm nearly done writing and thumbnailing a batch of webcomics, but I don't know when they'll start running - I toyed with (count them) five different projects before I found one I thought charted some new ground. It's easy to trick yourself into thinking a new idea is a goer until you actual try to make it into a real thing. I think you'll have to wait for my Beatles comic, the Des Fishman wrestling special, Shelley Winters' university stories and a Bobbins.horse yarn about Milan Fashion Week. In some cases, you'll have to wait forever. But project number five felt good and had legs. This one's a keeper. I've made a new website for it and everything.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

jalapeno_dude posted:

With Giant Days wrapping up, John Allison will soon be returning to webcomics:

:toot:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

John Allison posted:

the Des Fishman wrestling special

He better have said that just as a troll.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

He better have said that just as a troll.

the promise is made

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Speaking of returns, Mare Internum's updating again.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
The Meek, when?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Chair In A Basket posted:

The Meek, when?

Maybe when Mare Internum finishes in the next couple months. She's actually finished MI (delivered PDFs to backers and the book's going to the printers), so maybe we'll see some movement there soon.

In the meantime, it sounds like her family's stopped talking to her, so I guess these past few months have been pretty rough.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pyroclastic posted:

Maybe when Mare Internum finishes in the next couple months. She's actually finished MI (delivered PDFs to backers and the book's going to the printers), so maybe we'll see some movement there soon.

In the meantime, it sounds like her family's stopped talking to her, so I guess these past few months have been pretty rough.

Oh no, poor Der-shing :(

What happened? Is it detailed on her Twitter?

Regardless, very happy to see Mare Internum back. I love her work.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh no, poor Der-shing :(

What happened? Is it detailed on her Twitter?

Regardless, very happy to see Mare Internum back. I love her work.

I don't follow her twitter, so all I know is from her returning post to MI:

Der Shing Helmer posted:

Thanks for your patience these last few months. I know it’s lovely but sometimes you get some stuff on your plate that’s too big to deal with all at once. For example: my entire family is no longer talking to me, I own a house and live hundreds of miles away from everything I know, and my lungs aren’t like, quite 100% functional, but at least the book is done~ Told myself I wanted to get it done so I could post a new page on my bday. Well I’m officially old af today so here we are.

Her twitter feed doesn't want to scroll past June for me. Either her family is virulently anti-cactus, or it might be something to do with a tweet mentioning being queer (she doesn't mention it in any of her bios, and the tweet was kinda ambiguous). Don't really want to speculate much; she tends to keep her personal life, well, personal. At least, on twitter and her website.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Her life stuff didn't stop her from publishing Alloy or producing art for other projects (like The Meek), and by her own account she's been working on MI for the last year, but she's had to rewrite/scrap pages because she wasn't happy with the ending. I wish artists would just say "I've been working on the comic but I'm not happy with the result" instead of assuring one set of readers that their life is totally on fire while simultaneously hyping other projects they've completed/work-on in parallel.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 14, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That seems like an unfair assessment. She's an artist first, not a community manager. I'm sure she's doing her best, especially given the trying circumstances. I really doubt she meant to mislead anyone.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Typical Pubbie posted:

Her life stuff didn't stop her from publishing Alloy or producing art for other projects (like The Meek), and by her own account she's been working on MI for the last year, but she's had to rewrite/scrap pages because she wasn't happy with the ending. I wish artists would just say "I've been working on the comic but I'm not happy with the result" instead of assuring one set of readers that their life is totally on fire while simultaneously hyping other projects they've completed/work-on in parallel.

I mean, both can happen

in the month after my dad almost died I cranked out an entire html5 game but couldn't get one page of my webcomic done

I have done a lot of writing side projects when my anxiety was too bad to do the writing that actually means something to me

if you're a professional artist you probably can't stop making art (because that's your job and you need to eat at some point), and there's usually a line between "the art I am selling," which has a definite Good Enough threshold, and "the art I am choosing to make" that you want to be the best it can be

one of these takes little time and pays bills and the other consumes your entire life but uh good luck and you can't always spin both plates at once

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Yeah that sounds like a pretty uncharitable read of the situation.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
i for one refuse to believe a person with multiple parallel projects could have a life that is totally on fire

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Pyroclastic posted:

That's awful, I remember a post she made a year or so ago, about her brother being one of her heroes, and that the money from the kickstarter would help him get his own place. I wonder what happened.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Bobbins is back!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

habeasdorkus posted:

Bobbins is back!

:toot:

Also Allison's first issue of his miniseries with Dark Horse, Steeple came out today and was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Just a reminder that KC Green's latest kickstarter, the collected Crang, has a day and a half left.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kcgreen/he-is-a-good-boy-the-collected-crange

Also he has a special message for all of the backers (turn your volume down):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kcgreen/he-is-a-good-boy-the-collected-crange/posts/2627434

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 19, 2019