Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

eschaton posted:

National RAII Association

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The only way to stop a bad guy with SFINAE is a good guy with SFINAE

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

eschaton posted:

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

eschaton posted:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

The only way to stop a bad guy with SFINAE is a good guy with SFINAE

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I know what you're thinking, did he delete that pointer six or seven times? well, what's it gonna be, punk?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagacity posted:

I know what you're thinking, did he delete that pointer six or seven times? well, what's it gonna be, punk?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I heard the new guy has to register his template patterns he brings from job to job on a thumbdrive as lethal weapons

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

during the big crash, a bunch of stack pointers jmped out the window

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
yeah you “hate undefined behavior” but I bet YOU dump a big core at least once a day

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

C++ code:

molon:

animist
Aug 28, 2018
oh yeah i'm goin down to the range with the boys Sunday to test out this new beauty *hefts the entirety of Boost*

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

VikingofRock posted:

C++ code:
molon:

:golfclap:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hell yeah my forth is getting better

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1163338710391431170?s=20

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I decided to read practical common lisp out of curiosity about why some people rave about it and I think it’s giving me brain worms

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

you can try it on Linux

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Arcsech posted:

I decided to read practical common lisp out of curiosity about why some people rave about it and I think it’s giving me brain worms

i tried to learn common lisp once

once

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol this page is hosed up on mobile, only one word per line.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
common lisp is fine and has a lot more libraries than say clojure or scheme

however you gotta remember that common lisp was like six lisp dialects mashed together into a single language and stdlib to conquer them all

so there are a lot of weird things buried in there

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

yo this is pretty neat, might give it shot

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

common lisp is fine and has a lot more libraries than say clojure or scheme

however you gotta remember that common lisp was like six lisp dialects mashed together into a single language and stdlib to conquer them all

so there are a lot of weird things buried in there

i dunno if it has more libraries than clojure if you count that clojure can use java libs really easily

yeah the stdlib is weird as gently caress sometimes but at least it's pretty broad and has some neat stuff in it. i do wish it had been updated sometime in the last two and half decades so you could do things like, y'know, threads or http without having to pull in a library. but oh well

totally see why people got super obsessed with this poo poo in like the late 90s tho, it's wild how far ahead of (for example) java 1.2 this would have been in 1998. also totally understand why common lisp did not eat the world, this seems great for a project worked on by 1 person or a small group of like-minded folks, trying to work on a large (~60 people or more) project in lisp sounds like a nightmare

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Arcsech posted:

totally see why people got super obsessed with this poo poo in like the late 90s tho, it's wild how far ahead of (for example) java 1.2 this would have been in 1998. also totally understand why common lisp did not eat the world, this seems great for a project worked on by 1 person or a small group of like-minded folks, trying to work on a large (~60 people or more) project in lisp sounds like a nightmare

still better than python

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

still better than python

this is quite possible, i have not used python for anything more than single-file one-offs for a long time

might depend on how macro (if lisp) or annotation (if python) crazy the codebase gets tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Arcsech posted:

this is quite possible, i have not used python for anything more than single-file one-offs for a long time

might depend on how macro (if lisp) or annotation (if python) crazy the codebase gets tho

irl does anyone actually use macros in a common lisp codebase

i sure hop enot

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
I dunno how it did it, but the paper "The A+ programming language, a different APL" explained lisp's syntax (function arg1 arg2), thunks (a block of code fixed with its immediate environment, apparently from ALGOL 60), and tail recursion (having the compiler figure out it can just jump to the beginning of the function instead of re-calling it)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

irl does anyone actually use macros in a common lisp codebase

yeah but like 90% of it is to make custom with- and define- forms that work like the standard forms

look at say cl6502 for an example

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://openpowerfoundation.org/the-next-step-in-the-openpower-foundation-journey

POWER arch dipping into that risc-v juice

it doesn't even have a compact instruction set encoding though afaik though so i dunno how useful it will be

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yes and no

risc-v is partly an open isa, and partly a way to experiment with wild-rear end isa extensions while having existing compilers and linkers and poo poo for the base isa. power is now gonna be open, but i doubt anyone will want to extend it the way researchers do risc-v

so the open isa is cool, and the opening of their interconnects are cooler

Sapozhnik posted:

it doesn't even have a compact instruction set encoding though afaik though so i dunno how useful it will be

is this a joke

i hope it's just really un-funny and not something that you actually believe

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

no one isa should have all that POWER

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

https://openpowerfoundation.org/the-next-step-in-the-openpower-foundation-journey

POWER arch dipping into that risc-v juice

just wait

Apache Power

ibm tired of chip design

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
didn’t MIPS or someone go nuclear over left-shift instructions while fading into irrelevance

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Captain Foo posted:

no one isa should have all that POWER

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

just wait

Apache Power

ibm tired of chip design

Apache was a 1990s POWER derivative, unrelated to current chips in design

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

I mean, if you mean like Thumb, neither does 64-bit ARM. If you're aiming at servers rather than microcontrollers that's not a big deal.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Apache was a 1990s POWER derivative, unrelated to current chips in design

whoosh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

:thejoke:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

I mean, if you mean like Thumb, neither does 64-bit ARM. If you're aiming at servers rather than microcontrollers that's not a big deal.

x86 is a compact encoding for an underlying risc architecture, don't @ me

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

x86 is a compact encoding for an underlying risc architecture, don't @ me

christ on a cracker

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

christ on a cracker

is a compact encoding for an underlying ritz architecture

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

underlying ritz architecture

mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Suspicious Dish posted:

is a compact encoding for an underlying ritz architecture