Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ulex minor posted:

the tomes of mayonnaise history

that's called the new testament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

FAUXTON posted:

i'm sure the roman empire did have their own comparable recipes to mayo though if you make a big distinction between it and aioli then you might disagree

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ulex minor posted:

i'm sure the roman empire did have their own comparable recipes to mayo though if you make a big distinction between it and aioli then you might disagree

Aioli is mayoli

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FAUXTON posted:

Wrong it’s actually The Secret

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

It doesn't throw off any major flavor components and the things purportedly added by the mayonnaise are added better by incorporating the cool tanginess of the yogurt.

also ranch is just an attempt at selling rancid milk by throwing pepper and pencil shavings in it, don't buy the hype

All correct statements A++++

ulex minor posted:

what a strange thing to believe, i think you should go consult the tomes of mayonnaise history and educate yourself frankly

nah ur wrong

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mayonnaise is just Aioli in sweatpants

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Barudak posted:

Yes that salad deserved to die and I hope it burns in hell

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Barudak idk how many times ive empty quoted you in this thread, but keep up the good work

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for subjecting my boyfriend to my nakedess?

For instance, after I shower I like to do a naked Kermit style dance to dry off in front of him.

This was two pages ago now but I'm still stuck here.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

FAUXTON posted:

Yes, the Bible: famously written by and about white people

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Zzulu posted:

This is what I imagine all americans salads are like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA
What the gently caress is this? Why would anyone make this? Who would even think of this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What the gently caress is this? Why would anyone make this? Who would even think of this?

Housewives who had all imagination beaten out of them and replaced with wine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Known Lecher posted:

This was two pages ago now but I'm still stuck here.

Its called a rainbow connection and you gotta pay extra for that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Halloween comes early:

quote:

I went on an interview last week and I think the manager I met with had a print-out with a picture of my house in his interview folder. I didn’t get a clear look at it, but it looked like an old house listing. I have my address on my resume, but this freaked me out. I’ve never experienced something like this before and it feels like an invasion of privacy.

Is this normal? Should I remove the specifics of my address and just list my city and state moving forward?

That is not normal. It’s creepy and it’s invasive. There’s zero reason he needs a photo of your house.

At least one commenter here has mentioned in the past that an interviewer looked up their house online, concluded they weren’t hurting for money, and tried to lowball them on salary as a result. This is not a normal practice, it’s totally inappropriate, and I hope this is that same interviewers because otherwise it means there’s more than one person doing this.

It’s fine to just include your city and state on your resume. That used to stand out as a little weird (and could make employers wonder if you were actually local or not), but it’s increasingly common these days.

Run! Run far away!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Housewives who had all imagination beaten out of them and replaced with wine.
Is wine a psychedelic? Just eat the pasta with the veggies on the side. If you need to be disgusting use the condensed milk as dressing. Healthier (relatively), easier and quicker to make and takes less imagination than combining vinegar, sugar and mayo and thinking you'll get something edible. That disaster doesn't lack imagination, it lacks sanity.

I've seen pictures of pasta salads before, and still would not have imagined it was that.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Mayonnaise, whether good or garbage, depends on the chef, other ingredients, type of dish, etc.

Even pasta salad. You just need to go to the right BBQs - if the chef doesn’t have the correct grill shoes, leave immediately.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pirate Radar posted:

Halloween comes early:

Run! Run far away!

In a world where potential employers have already read all your social media accounts, this seems pretty tame.

But only in relation to that. Because that's hosed up, too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Is wine a psychedelic? Just eat the pasta with the veggies on the side. If you need to be disgusting use the condensed milk as dressing. Healthier (relatively), easier and quicker to make and takes less imagination than combining vinegar, sugar and mayo and thinking you'll get something edible. That disaster doesn't lack imagination, it lacks sanity.

I've seen pictures of pasta salads before, and still would not have imagined it was that.

Suburban white people have been educated out of sanity

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The main sin of Mayonnaise isn't the flavour, it's the fact that it's 90% oil and egg yolks (ie, the fatty part of the egg), but people treat it like a soup/sauce. You can easily add 1000 calories to a meal with a few tablespoons of the loving stuff and mayo and it's derivations are a HUGE source of stealth-calories, especially if you are one of those people who think of "salad" that is 50% raw veg and 50% mayo as a healthy thing that they should be eating as much as possible of.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Power Khan posted:

Try reading it with a german accent.

:discourse:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Fatkraken posted:

The main sin of Mayonnaise isn't the flavour, it's the fact that it's 90% oil and egg yolks (ie, the fatty part of the egg), but people treat it like a soup/sauce. You can easily add 1000 calories to a meal with a few tablespoons of the loving stuff and mayo and it's derivations are a HUGE source of stealth-calories, especially if you are one of those people who think of "salad" that is 50% raw veg and 50% mayo as a healthy thing that they should be eating as much as possible of.

It would take like 10 tablespoons of mayonnaise to hit 1000 calories. That's 2/3rds of a cup. That poo poo ain't stealthy. loving Splinter Cell: Project Mayo over there invading my food.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You guys sure freak the gently caress out every time a pasta salad story is posted.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Goons all lived in Derry, Maine but instead of clowns it was Macaroni Salad

Vim Fuego posted:

Barudak idk how many times ive empty quoted you in this thread, but keep up the good work

I will continue trying to deliver

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

QuarkJets posted:

mayonnaise is designed to be as bland and flavorless as possible while adding moisture.

Wrong. A good mayo hits sour, salt, and umami notes. The acid content is critical, more so than the mustard, otherwise you're just putting plain fat on your dish.

An amazing number of dishes can be improved with vinegar.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

Goons all lived in Derry, Maine but instead of clowns it was Macaroni Salad
On mobile but if someone can can photoshop the red balloon into a bowl of macaroni salad underneath the storm drain, that’d be great.

KISS ME, FAT BOY GOONS.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A bowl of macaroni salad frantically shaking as Tim Curry speaks through it

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

A bowl of macaroni salad frantically shaking as Tim Curry speaks through it

Macaroni salad slowly oozing it’s way through drains and faucets with kids screaming.

E: the Chinese restaurant scene but the food transforms into massive plates of macaroni salad.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Barudak posted:

Mayonnaise is just Aioli in sweatpants

Aioli is just mayonnaise after it got drunk on franzia and painted some pithy feelgood bullshit on a plank of wood

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Admiral Ray posted:

It would take like 10 tablespoons of mayonnaise to hit 1000 calories. That's 2/3rds of a cup. That poo poo ain't stealthy. loving Splinter Cell: Project Mayo over there invading my food.

ten level tablespoons is more like three heaped ones, but yeah, 1000 was a bit of an exaggeration. Still, using mayo or a mayo based condiment for dipping fries or nachos or mixing it with something with a high surface area like fusili pasta or slaw and you'll eat an extra several hundred calories per meal without even noticing versus a tomato based sauce or salsa, or indeed something with a yoghurt base. 200 calories here from mayo and 300 there from soda and 250 from a frappuchjino latte is the difference between maintaining a healthy weight and gaining a pound or two per month forever, and is the kind of thing people who *think* they eat relatively healthily don't even notice and leads to complete confusion about weight and the traction that lovely fad diets and bullshit explanations like "slow metabolism" or "big bones".

There's a Secret Eaters eposide where a lady makes a healthy middle eastern style salad, then adds a couple of heaped tablespoons of Tahini (sesame paste, think runny peanut butter and you're 90% of the way there). Suddenly that salad is 800 calories. Another with a nice healthy lunch of a baked potato with beans that becomes a daily 1300 calorie bomb because of a fistful of cheese, fried mushrooms and coleslaw (MAYO)

The horrible system of corporate interests and lovely food is what leads to an obesity crisis, but short of complete Marxist revolution, right now the current solution is for individuals (and groups supporting them) to take back that power with self education and turning away from that system.

Fight the Man, say NO to Mayo!

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 22, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fatkraken posted:

ten level tablespoons is more like three heaped ones, but yeah, 1000 was a bit of an exaggeration. Still, using mayo or a mayo based condiment for dipping fries or nachos or mixing it with something with a high surface area like fusili pasta or slaw and you'll eat an extra several hundred calories per meal without even noticing versus a tomato based sauce or salsa, or indeed something with a yoghurt base. 200 calories here from mayo and 300 there from soda and 250 from a frappuchjino latte is the difference between maintaining a healthy weight and gaining a pound or two per month forever, and is the kind of thing people who *think* they eat relatively healthily don't even notice and leads to complete confusion about weight and the traction that lovely fad diets and bullshit explanations like "slow metabolism" or "big bones".

There's a Secret Eaters eposide where a lady makes a healthy middle eastern style salad, then adds a couple of heaped tablespoons of Tahini (sesame paste, think runny peanut butter and you're 90% of the way there). Suddenly that salad is 800 calories. Another with a nice healthy lunch of a baked potato with beans that becomes a daily 1300 calorie bomb because of a fistful of cheese, fried mushrooms and coleslaw (MAYO)

The horrible system of corporate interests and lovely food is what leads to an obesity crisis, but short of complete Marxist revolution, right now the current solution is for individuals (and groups supporting them) to take back that power with self education and turning away from that system.

Fight the Man, say NO to Mayo!

It also doesn't help that the average mayo person uses way, waaaaaay, WAAAAAAAYYYYY too much salad dressing. Like we're talking dumping it in there like milk on cereal. At that point even using a vinaigrette means you're adding 5-600 calories. Throw in idk croutons, shredded cheese, bacon (:cripes:) and you're deep into full-on meal territory for 'just' a salad.

No seriously olive oil is like 120 calories per tablespoon and people insist on coating Every. Single. Leaf.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA For laughing at a customer?
This happened to me yesterday at work and it’s something I will never forgot.

I work at an animal shelter and I had a customer come in who I remembered from a few weeks ago. A man who had adopted this cat named Nelson. I remember this because Nelson was one of the few cat we listed as “sensitive” (so we know to keep them in a private room where they won’t be bothered by crazy younger cats) because he came from a home where there was trauma. Do to this he is extremely skittish and can misbehave in occasion.

The man came in with Nelson in the carrier and came to the front desk asking to talk to our manager and that he had a complaint. I asked him what the complaint was but he insisted he wanted to talk to the manager, Allen, who helped him pick Nelson out.

It takes me a few minutes to find Allen because we are all generally all over the place here and when we come back Allen asks the guy what the issue is, is the cat sick or did it hurt you etc general things we ask when people roll up trying to return a pet. In most cases we can work it out and make sure the animal doesn’t have to be returned. I stuck around because I wanted to hear why this guy was trying to return the cat bc I’m nosy.

He said “he refuses to listen to any order I give him”

Allen and I were a little puzzled and asked what he meant. Allen said “well we don’t his full training history but most cats know the general word no because of the tone behind it, have you trie-“

The guy cut him off and said “He is choosing not to listen to me! I told him the rules when we got home and he has ignored every single one.” The guy went on a rant saying how the cat was told to use a little box but he pissed on the floor multiple times, how he told the cat to not go into the spare room but he still does.... and so on.

Right then it clicked to me. This guy thinks the cat understands WHAT HE IS SAYING

I asked him “Wait- do you think the cat can understand you? Like.. he understands the words you say to him..?”

The man tilted his head at me and looked at me like I was an idiot and said “He is choosing not to! That’s the loving issue!”

I couldn’t help it I busted out laughing so hard I almost teared up. That’s just never never anything I’ve ever heard of, someone genuinely thinking animals can understand what a human was saying like they were also human.

Long story short I was told to leave the room by Allen who figured out the issue and I did kind of feel like a dick after because I guess the guy had never had a pet before and hadn’t really been around animals other than a few well trained dogs and he legit thought animals could understand you. My boss wasn’t mad at me at all, but told me I acted very unprofessional which I do agree to some extent. I don’t think I was an rear end but I know I should have made not laughed so hard. I was on kennel duty the next two days.

I shouldn’t have laughed in front of him but drat I couldn’t help it.

Edit: the cat was returned but in this case it seems to be the best outcome. Also- shelters aren’t always the worst situation for an animal! We love our babies at our shelter. (not case for all tho)

Edit 2: I will Update when he finds his furever home! I would take him myself but I have a 13 year old cat and a 2 year old lab so it’s not the ideal house hold for the lil guy.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
:gas:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s what happens when you have too much mayo.

Also LMAO at that cat story lol.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

It also doesn't help that the average mayo person uses way, waaaaaay, WAAAAAAAYYYYY too much salad dressing. Like we're talking dumping it in there like milk on cereal. At that point even using a vinaigrette means you're adding 5-600 calories. Throw in idk croutons, shredded cheese, bacon (:cripes:) and you're deep into full-on meal territory for 'just' a salad.

No seriously olive oil is like 120 calories per tablespoon and people insist on coating Every. Single. Leaf.

it's salad so it's healthy though

i remember back in the 90s eating in chain restaurants with my parents "i'm on a diet" meant ordering a huge loving salad and dumping ranch dressing all over it. they did it, their friends did it, and to this day i think a huge segment of the population still associates "salad" with dieting even if the salad is mostly macaroni

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 22, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

QuarkJets posted:

it's salad so it's healthy though

i remember back in the 90s eating in chain restaurants with my parents "i'm on a diet" meant ordering a huge loving salad and dumping ranch dressing all over it. they did it, their friends did it, and to this day i think a huge segment of the population still associates "salad" with dieting even if the salad is mostly macaroni

:barf:

greens have flavors all of their own and they deserve to be tasted damnit

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

mayonnaise is designed to be as bland and flavorless as possible while adding moisture.

I'm sorry about the bad mayonnaise you've been buying.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

feedmegin posted:

I'm sorry about the bad mayonnaise you've been buying.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the mayonnaise defenders have plopped in

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

Its a case of Seinfeld Isn't Funny in that pedos cooped the terminology.

The OG stuff was basically grown rear end Victorian era women dressing in like, the platonic, over the top ideal of what a little girl would want to wear as a sort of protestation against the idea that they should marry and be responsible. Just over the top ribbons and massive amounts of dress. (but no skin or sexualisation) Turns out the dour Victorian aristocrats marrying off their daughters were right though and it turns out arrested adolescence is like, way loving bad.

Uh no dude the pedo connotation is from this book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Power Khan posted:

AITA For laughing at a customer?
This happened to me yesterday at work and it’s something I will never forgot.

I work at an animal shelter and I had a customer come in who I remembered from a few weeks ago. A man who had adopted this cat named Nelson. I remember this because Nelson was one of the few cat we listed as “sensitive” (so we know to keep them in a private room where they won’t be bothered by crazy younger cats) because he came from a home where there was trauma. Do to this he is extremely skittish and can misbehave in occasion.

The man came in with Nelson in the carrier and came to the front desk asking to talk to our manager and that he had a complaint. I asked him what the complaint was but he insisted he wanted to talk to the manager, Allen, who helped him pick Nelson out.

It takes me a few minutes to find Allen because we are all generally all over the place here and when we come back Allen asks the guy what the issue is, is the cat sick or did it hurt you etc general things we ask when people roll up trying to return a pet. In most cases we can work it out and make sure the animal doesn’t have to be returned. I stuck around because I wanted to hear why this guy was trying to return the cat bc I’m nosy.

He said “he refuses to listen to any order I give him”

Allen and I were a little puzzled and asked what he meant. Allen said “well we don’t his full training history but most cats know the general word no because of the tone behind it, have you trie-“

The guy cut him off and said “He is choosing not to listen to me! I told him the rules when we got home and he has ignored every single one.” The guy went on a rant saying how the cat was told to use a little box but he pissed on the floor multiple times, how he told the cat to not go into the spare room but he still does.... and so on.

Right then it clicked to me. This guy thinks the cat understands WHAT HE IS SAYING

I asked him “Wait- do you think the cat can understand you? Like.. he understands the words you say to him..?”

The man tilted his head at me and looked at me like I was an idiot and said “He is choosing not to! That’s the loving issue!”

I couldn’t help it I busted out laughing so hard I almost teared up. That’s just never never anything I’ve ever heard of, someone genuinely thinking animals can understand what a human was saying like they were also human.

Long story short I was told to leave the room by Allen who figured out the issue and I did kind of feel like a dick after because I guess the guy had never had a pet before and hadn’t really been around animals other than a few well trained dogs and he legit thought animals could understand you. My boss wasn’t mad at me at all, but told me I acted very unprofessional which I do agree to some extent. I don’t think I was an rear end but I know I should have made not laughed so hard. I was on kennel duty the next two days.

I shouldn’t have laughed in front of him but drat I couldn’t help it.

Edit: the cat was returned but in this case it seems to be the best outcome. Also- shelters aren’t always the worst situation for an animal! We love our babies at our shelter. (not case for all tho)

Edit 2: I will Update when he finds his furever home! I would take him myself but I have a 13 year old cat and a 2 year old lab so it’s not the ideal house hold for the lil guy.

Hugest NTA and I want to adopt Nelson but I already have four dickhead cats but oh my god I want Nelson the defiant baby.