Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Part of getting older is enjoying the hell out of old man flavours and such. Which is why I take a big bag of Werther's originals to the cinema :yum:

I eat bran flakes now and I don't care who knows it

e: 1789 was a good year for loving up bourg

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sebzilla posted:

I eat bran flakes now and I don't care who knows ir

Extremely same. Genuinely worth it. For good shits.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"adult boardgames, but not sweary-sexy adult like Cards Against Humanity, adult like actual strategy, and there's not much random chance, and also the boards are weird shapes"
And the designers have Euro names like Björn Luftkissenfahrzeug.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Barry Foster posted:

Just don't eat too many of them

Excess fiber can be really bad

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Party Boat posted:

I hope you unwrap them before you go in so as not to violate the code of conduct.

I have so internalised the Wittertainment codes that I eat the wrappers as well

Barry Foster posted:

Errryday, because I eat them with a protein shake so it balances out the shits to a normal Bristol range. Also :yum:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Im still a Weetabix man in the mornings,

I cant stomach bran flakes or Shredded Wheat

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Now that I've quit smoking I have an extra chunk of change each month and I was thinking of getting into boardgames but I don't have much storage and my video game collection is already threatening to crowd me out of my bedroom :ohdear:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

Just don't eat too many of them

Excess fiber can be really bad

Who the gently caress is scraeming "DON'T EAT EXCESS FIBRE" at my house

I will never not eat 200 grams of bran flakes a day

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Rarity posted:

Now that I've quit smoking I have an extra chunk of change each month and I was thinking of getting into boardgames but I don't have much storage and my video game collection is already threatening to crowd me out of my bedroom :ohdear:

You could put that into savings? Otherwise known as MTG cards

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Bran flakes? You are like little babby.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CyberPingu posted:

You could put that into savings? Otherwise known as MTG cards

I'd get more LotR LCG cards but I'm buying in order and On the Doorstep is out of stock :negative:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My wife finally got her PIP changeover letter :(

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I've always heard the euro boardgames are usually less about direct pvp competition and are either coop or base/deck building without direct interaction between players.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Cards Against Humanity

Played this the other day. Childish, unimaginative poo poo.

This looks amazing, will be watching. Although I don't have a tv license or actually a tv at the moment.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Migration experts say the UK cannot end freedom of movement from the EU on Brexit day because it has no system to work out who is legally in the country.

Sorry experts, wrong again. I think you'll find the Home Office has a tried & tested system for dealing with immigration. It's called: Racism.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Borrovan posted:

Agricola's great but it's kinda just simple enough that it's possible to think a bunch of turns ahead & compute everyone's moves, which stresses me out - imo Puerto Rico is a superior game, it's got the same basic mechanic but "bigger" & there's so many balls in play that you've pretty much got to go by pure intuition, rather than a bunch of involved thinking that gets in the way of drinking & chatting poo poo

If your plan to replace Agricola involves slavery, you should think again. The real Agricola replacement is Caverna, which is exactly the same game except with dwarves and a lot more forgiving. Mrs Boat will still beat her husband every time I expect, but it'll be 30m/player of relaxed axe forging instead of 30m/player of slamming your testicles in a desk drawer.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sebzilla posted:

e: 1789 was a good year for loving up bourg

For bourgeois loving up aristos and taking over as the ruling class, you mean, if you want to be pedantically Marxist about it :shobon:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

xtothez posted:

Migration experts say the UK cannot end freedom of movement from the EU on Brexit day because it has no system to work out who is legally in the country.

Sorry experts, wrong again. I think you'll find the Home Office has a tried & tested system for dealing with immigration. It's called: Racism.

You got an accent that the guard can't recognise? Its off to a holding cell for you!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol oh no the government might keep people out who are legally allowed to be here, what an unfortunate and entirely unexpected turn of events!!! i’ll get on the phone to the gang of racist pedos currently running the show who will immediately work to rectify this travesty that nobody could have predicted

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i mostly don't eat breakfast since i'm unemployed and don't really get hungry until lunch time but since i'm probably about to go back to work it'll return to being a protein shake and banana

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Miftan posted:

I've always heard the euro boardgames are usually less about direct pvp competition and are either coop or base/deck building without direct interaction between players.

There's massive variation. Many eurogames have direct interaction, many are coop or multiplayer soiltaire (i.e. everyone is playing everyone else, but with minim direct interaction betyween players, except maybe in all drawing from the same spread of cards/tiles/action options).

The Euro vs American design differential is much more in how and where randomness and flavour are added. Eurogames are generally low-to-no randomness, and what randomness there is is usually applied before decisionmaking - i.e. you use randomness to determine what options you have, but not to determine how well your choices work. And the flavour is usually subordinate to the mechanics and balance choices, i.e. if something needs to do this because theme, but balance needs it to do that to not be overpowered, it'll do that not this.

American games are usually the inverse, they are much mroe story/theme driven, and tend to have more randomness, and randomness that defines how well the strategy works after it's implemented. So, if the boss of your dungeon crawl game needs to be super powerful because he's a werewolf or whatever, he will be, because he should be. And whather you defeat him will usually involve deciding what you're doing then flipping a card or rolling a die to see how well you do.

But honestly the distinction is becoming a lot blurrier and less useful these days than it used to be..

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

AceOfFlames posted:

I don't get the appeal of Irn Bru. Do people like it ironically, is it a nationalist thing, what gives?

It's a soft drink, I dunno what's to get. No, it's not Scotland's top selling soft drink by virtue of irony, good grief man. People like it despite it basically being sugar poured into a mix of water & orange food colouring. Or because of that.

I tried it after they changed the recipe and didn't love it but went 6 months without buying any and then tried it again and couldn't even remember what it used to taste like. It's good.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 22, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

xtothez posted:

Yeah, they've already been doing this to non-Europeans (read: BAME people) that have no recourse to the EU via the scientific process of "looks like a Jamaican, off you go."

It'll be interesting (read: definitely still racist) how they expand this now that whites are involved in the target group.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jose posted:

i mostly don't eat breakfast since i'm unemployed and don't really get hungry until lunch time but since i'm probably about to go back to work it'll return to being a protein shake and banana

Put some fibre powder in that shake, you can get like 15 grams of sweet sweet soluble fibre doing this pro strat and it's completely undetectable. And you'll feel more full for longer

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I think youre a shill for Big Fibre.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

A literal demon from hell would at least not pretend to be otherwise

Also what the hell is "euro style" boardgames? Just those complicated ones with several turn stages and complex sets of rules?

So there are 2 broad categories of Boardgames, Eurogames and Ameritrash.

Euro games are typified by no player elimination, come back mechanics so players who are losing get advantages, and less randomness.

Ameritrash games are lol-random, players get eliminated, and winning means you win more. Think Monopoly, when you're winning you have more money than everyone else so it's easier for you keep winning.

Complexity is fairly even across them, just because you've made a trash game of rolling dice doesn't mean you don't have a 20 page rulebook. Whilst king of Eurogames, Powergrid, has a 4 or 5 pages max.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol awesome since my likely new job doesn't start until the end of September and I was possibly going to need to borrow morning for bills and mortgage to pay for October I've just had a £750 tax refund

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

namesake posted:

Big Fibre is a lobby group for a smooth exit from the EU.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Virgin Cable and the SUDATCHAD Fibre.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Vince Cable is a virgin?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Remember the Tory staffer who was asking questions on QT in Elgin but introduced as an ordinary member of the public? She's now been suspended for tweeting horrible poo poo about Sturgeon's miscarriage. Surprisingly enough, the BBC even point out that she was on QT in the article.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

It'll be interesting (read: definitely still racist) how they expand this now that whites are involved in the target group.

Non RP accent? :getout:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

namesake posted:

@barryfoster39502718

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Aramoro posted:

So there are 2 broad categories of Boardgames, Eurogames and Ameritrash.

Euro games are typified by no player elimination, come back mechanics so players who are losing get advantages, and less randomness.

Ameritrash games are lol-random, players get eliminated, and winning means you win more. Think Monopoly, when you're winning you have more money than everyone else so it's easier for you keep winning.

Complexity is fairly even across them, just because you've made a trash game of rolling dice doesn't mean you don't have a 20 page rulebook. Whilst king of Eurogames, Powergrid, has a 4 or 5 pages max.

This is a pretty dated analysis. Board games have come a long way in the last couple of decades.

In modern parlance a Euro game is theme-light, interaction-light, low-randomness and involves moving a lot of tokens around to represent production chains and/or trade routes. They're a subset of engine-builders.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Scikar posted:

Remember the Tory staffer who was asking questions on QT in Elgin but introduced as an ordinary member of the public? She's now been suspended for tweeting horrible poo poo about Sturgeon's miscarriage. Surprisingly enough, the BBC even point out that she was on QT in the article.

What is the right’s obsession with her miscarriage?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Chuka Umana posted:

They're powered by pure spite?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Chuka Umana posted:

The right is usually right there with Traditional Family Values, which is bigot for "women are objects meant to make babies and if they can't make babies then they have no worth"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Chuka Umana posted:

Vince Cable is a virgin?
M'Liberals

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Pochoclo posted:

The right is usually right there with Traditional Family Values, which is bigot for "women are objects meant to make babies and if they can't make babies then they have no worth"

Theresa May didn't have any children.

lol didn't. Because she's dead now.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Scikar posted:

She’ll be reinstated in a month.