Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yo, any goons heading down to The World Transformed in Brighton this year? Got my tickets and accommodation sorted, looking forward to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I recently played a new board games called Bad Bones which owns a lot. It's a combination of competitive and vs. endless hordes of skeletons who gently caress up your village. Very addictive even though I keep getting beaten.

Also hooray for boozy work lunch. I dunno why but the restaurant offered us free shots of good rum so I'm kinda fuzzy right now.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Yes I know my bougie rear end is going against the wall.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Junior G-man posted:

Yes I know my bougie rear end is going against the wall.

If you’re drunk at work and it won’t kill anyone that’s Praxis so don’t worry about it.

E: it’s double praxis if your employer paid for it

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

MikeCrotch posted:

Yo, any goons heading down to The World Transformed in Brighton this year? Got my tickets and accommodation sorted, looking forward to it!

I'm probably going to take the week off so maybe?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Sanitary Naptime posted:

If you’re drunk at work and it won’t kill anyone that’s Praxis so don’t worry about it.

E: it’s double praxis if your employer paid for it

Then I shall take my double bingo.

Also the power is out so I could legitimately have a nap now. Or phonepost.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Junior G-man posted:

Then I shall take my double bingo.

Also the power is out so I could legitimately have a nap now. Or phonepost.

My systems have been mostly down all day so every ten minutes someone calls me to be disappointed. My job could be done by an automated message and I could be sent up the road but lol nope, I’m a prisoner here until six

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Sanitary Naptime posted:

My systems have been mostly down all day so every ten minutes someone calls me to be disappointed. My job could be done by an automated message and I could be sent up the road but lol nope, I’m a prisoner here until six

I had two jobs on the Isle of Wight, and am meant to be coming back on the three o'clock ferry, but I was done ages ago so am sailing back now. Which is good because I can go and see the recruitment agency about the job I applied for two days ago

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

This is a pretty dated analysis. Board games have come a long way in the last couple of decades.

In modern parlance a Euro game is theme-light, interaction-light, low-randomness and involves moving a lot of tokens around to represent production chains and/or trade routes. They're a subset of engine-builders.

It's a pretty spot analysis, how can you say a Eurogame is both light themed and all production chains/trade routes? Not all engine builders are Euro games and not all Eurogames are engine builders. What kind of engine am I building in Adrenaline, Alchemists, Flamme Rouge etc? But they're all Eurogames.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 22, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What's the name of those weightlifting doctor bros with the cool essays? I've tried googling every variation of [weightlifting] [doctor] [bros] who write [essays]

Edit: Goddamn thats a way better name.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 22, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Barbell Medicine

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What's the name of those weightlifting doctor bros with the cool essays? I've tried googling every variation of [weightlifting] [doctor] [bros] who write [essays]

Mario and Luigi

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Junior G-man posted:

Also hooray for boozy work lunch. I dunno why but the restaurant offered us free shots of good rum so I'm kinda fuzzy right now.

I really enjoy day drinking but does anyone else get where you feel like absolute poo poo a couple of hours after a couple of pints? Like the hangover kicks in and you spend the rest of the day feeling muzzy and headachey

Is this called getting old?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

I really enjoy day drinking but does anyone else get where you feel like absolute poo poo a couple of hours after a couple of pints? Like the hangover kicks in and you spend the rest of the day feeling muzzy and headachey

Yeah if I have lunch drinks I'll be properly hungover by 10pm. But then I can just go to sleep and feel great the next morning so it's kind of a wash

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Seems pretty simple that if a game is made in Europe it's a Eurogame :shrug:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah if I have lunch drinks I'll be properly hungover by 10pm. But then I can just go to sleep and feel great the next morning so it's kind of a wash

Good to know it's not just me then. Although I find that being hungover makes it a lot harder to sleep, so I'm hosed either way

God, booze is such a lovely drug. The minutest amount will make you (me) feel like poo poo before long and the only way to escape that is to, y'know, keep drinking

It's probably impossible to create a GABAergic drug that doesn't cause horrendous physical and mental addiction but I'd sure like someone to give it a go

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah, the last few times I've drunk heavy like I would have as a student, I've developed a splitting headache a couple of hours in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

Seems pretty simple that if a game is made in Europe it's a Eurogame :shrug:
Is the UK in Europe?

Barry Foster posted:

It's probably impossible to create a GABAergic drug that doesn't cause horrendous physical and mental addiction but I'd sure like someone to give it a go

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Played this the other day. Childish, unimaginative shit____

*plays card that says "post"*

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah even when I was young I would feel like poo poo if I got actually drunk during the day and then sobered up. This can be avoided by having a nap after your drinks. Or just not stopping drinking.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Barry Foster posted:

Yes, I loving love a day drinking session but find it impossible to beat the creeping hangover. The trick is more intake, as soon as you start slowing down and getting sensible it starts to gently caress you up.

Get wrecked and stay wrecked basically.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

I don't get the appeal of Irn Bru. Do people like it ironically, is it a nationalist thing, what gives?

It tastes good OP. The best form of irn bru is, in fact, the chewy bars that are hard to get now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

Is the UK in Europe?

For another 70 days, yes

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Barry Foster posted:

I'm SA's resident recovering Xanax addict, please refer any questions on your potential addiction to me. (don't take Xanax or any benzos, it's not prescribed on the NHS for a reason.)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

OwlFancier posted:

It tastes good OP. The best form of irn bru is, in fact, the chewy bars that are hard to get now.
At least 20 years since I last saw one but :agreed:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
There are Irn Bru bars?!?!?!?!?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

And yeah Irn Bru is magic. I was angry when they changed the recipe but now I have developed a taste for the sugarless kinds.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

I dunno, I kinda just feel slow and fuzzy but in a good way. But then I only had 2 glasses of wine and 2 shots of rum (I can't tell anymore if that's a lot?).

Also it's my colleague's leaving drinks this afternoon so I might as well start as I mean to finish.

My usual problem is that this tends to lead to maxi unhealthy kebab dinners, or expensive deliveroo because I'm too drunk and/or tired when I get home.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

There are Irn Bru bars?!?!?!?!?

Yeah I think barrett used to make them, it's like a wham bar but orange and tastes like irn bru mixed with a wham bar.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Part of getting older is enjoying the hell out of old man flavours

But enough about your sex life.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Which is why I take a big bag of Werther's originals to the cinema :yum:

What the gently caress did I just say?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Is the UK in Europe?

Man that kinda disappeared, didn't it? I was really excited about it. Although if it wasn't just a 'no hangover' substitute but also a 'no semi-permanently destroying your glutamate/GABA system' then I would be astonished. Not that I'm an expert or nothing.

But in any case all hail Dr Nutt

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Yes, I loving love a day drinking session but find it impossible to beat the creeping hangover. The trick is more intake, as soon as you start slowing down and getting sensible it starts to gently caress you up.

Get wrecked and stay wrecked basically.

This is what I do and it's also what gives me multiday hangovers and just ugh god why can't I just use something else in polite company to help me tolerate being around people for awhile

Chuka Umana posted:

I'm SA's resident recovering Xanax addict, please refer any questions on your potential addiction to me. (don't take Xanax or any benzos, it's not prescribed on the NHS for a reason.)

Benzos are one of the relatively few psychotropic drugs I will never, ever, ever touch. My history of booze is bad enough, and I'm lucky that I physically can't tolerate it much anymore.

EDIT - vvvvvvvv lol, again, same

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 22, 2019

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Barry Foster posted:

It's sometimes known as a "4 pint" hangover.

For example, you go to the pub on a Saturday lunchtime to watch a match. While you're there, you drink 4 pints. You return home slightly tipsy, drink nothing further and by 5pm you're slumped on the sofa feeling drowsy, headachey and irritable.

(I avoid these by never stopping drinking, once I've started.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Feels weird sometimes to think that perpetual sobriety is a fairly rare state of being.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I like the sound of the Euro game design, one of the things I hated on Caravan Holidays as a wee 'un was getting eliminated from competitive games by my brothers, and then having to sit there bored for the rest of the evening to be 'polite.'

I may be getting Elder Sign confused with A Study in Emerald, but I think it was Elder Sign - there's no DM required, so it's basically the players vs the game's inherent mechanics, and I'd like to see more of that sort of thing.

One of the most sobering experiences of my early teens was getting Games Workshop's Mighty Empires and being so excited by the hex board, and the castles and the freaking dragon. Then my dad came out of the bedroom, sunburnt and defeated and threw the rulebook down and said in a small voice "I can't understand how this works, sorry."

Although the year before that I got Space Hulk and holy poo poo was that fun.

Also got slightly burned out on 40k after my brother and I collected a huge Space Marine army*, my little brother bought a ton as well because he had no idea what he was doing but was young enough to desperately want to be part of whatever we were doing. Then they lost interest and I was terrible at strategy but spent most of my time being the guy with 8,000 points of space marines that could be stomped by five different armies every saturday.

Now I get my revenge by occasionally booting up Dawn of War skirmish mode against eight easy opponents and stomping the gently caress out of them with necrons. I am a tiny, petty man.

* dark angels :gaysper:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The last time I did day drinking I got home around 6-7 and shortly after went to bed because I couldn't handle it anymore.

Woke up nice and early the next day feeling refreshed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1164536769553059840?s=21

lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

Man that kinda disappeared, didn't it? I was really excited about it. Although if it wasn't just a 'no hangover' substitute but also a 'no semi-permanently destroying your glutamate/GABA system' then I would be astonished. Not that I'm an expert or nothing.

But in any case all hail Dr Nutt
Yeah it's supposed to be a reversible partial GABA agonist, so no hangover, no blackout drunkenness no matter how many you take, and no boxing your liver.

The garbage Psychoactive Substances Act gave the plan a setback by banning everything except specifically named alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine, like they deliberately picked the shittest depressant, hallucinogen, and stimulant available, but he went to Germany to look for investment and alcarelle is still based in London and doing ongoing research.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sweet.

Wait, are you implying nicotine is a hallucinogen? If so that's news to me

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Go on then, I'm feeling masochistic. What's the argument for 'no'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Rarity posted:

Go on then, I'm feeling masochistic. What's the argument for 'no'?

With the BBC as they are the Tories will be given a completely free pass but every Labour interviewee will be shouted down as a liar