Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought I did ask here?

Well it's fixed and I'm kind of over doing my own repairs these days anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Dumb question incoming: I put off replacing my battery this past winter but will definitely need to deal with it before this next one. This is for a 2014 Mazda3 with the original battery. My question is: If I install the battery myself without some sort of device to maintain power during the process will the car's stereo or other electronics do anything stupid like disable themselves as an anti-theft mechanism? I remember this was a big deal with some cars like 10 years ago and some dealerships made mints off of DIY people having to come in to get the stereos reactivated.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Fabulousity posted:

Dumb question incoming: I put off replacing my battery this past winter but will definitely need to deal with it before this next one. This is for a 2014 Mazda3 with the original battery. My question is: If I install the battery myself without some sort of device to maintain power during the process will the car's stereo or other electronics do anything stupid like disable themselves as an anti-theft mechanism? I remember this was a big deal with some cars like 10 years ago and some dealerships made mints off of DIY people having to come in to get the stereos reactivated.

Nah. You'll at worst just lose your radio presets and have to reset the clock. Your trip odometers may/may not reset.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Fabulousity posted:

I replaced mine in my 2014 3 and everything was fine, lost no settings or anything. I didn't get a deep cycle battery so mine will probably not last as long as it should since I have that eLoop capacitor thingy.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Alighieri posted:

I didn't get a deep cycle battery so mine will probably not last as long as it should since I have that eLoop capacitor thingy.

Deep cycle? Nah, get an AGM one that you can take with you from car to car: :getin: https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/redtop-starting-battery/35

I was originally posting that in jest but now that I look around conventional 26R batteries are only $60 less. Batteries really went up in the price over the last 6 or 7 years.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I had an optima red top in my Galant. It was from a junkyard and almost a decade old by the time I sold that car for pennies. Started every time even after having sat for a month in mid August.

Great batteries, I hope they make one for the Mazda 2 because I don't trust the lovely noname brand one in there now. I kinda wish I'd kept it for a backup jump pack.

Edit: oh hey looks like that one you linked will. Sweet.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 10, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Alighieri posted:

I replaced mine in my 2014 3 and everything was fine, lost no settings or anything. I didn't get a deep cycle battery so mine will probably not last as long as it should since I have that eLoop capacitor thingy.

Does the ieLoop do anything really? I was curious about that. They only put it on the GT, IIRC.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Charles posted:

Does the ieLoop do anything really? I was curious about that. They only put it on the GT, IIRC.

I have it on mine and it threw a code within the first two weeks of owning the car. Other than that never noticed it. Supposedly it implements regenerative braking that feeds into a 25V capacitor that can feed the car's electrical systems in lieu of the alternator after stepping down to 12V. It's not a bad idea on paper but I guess Mazda threw it out with the fourth generation 3? Also the capacitor is a shock hazard in vehicles with front end damage. :science:

On further research apparently if your Mazda has this system it needs a magic unicorn "Q85" battery, however people have apparently plopped in AGM batteries without issues. I guess I'm going red top.

Edit: What the gently caress? On this Q85 thing:

quote:

Even though the battery is 12 volt, it is specifically designed for use with the i-ELOOP system. It's designated as a Q85 type battery, and is currently only available through Mazda. When replacing an i-ELOOP equipped vehicle's battery, be sure to install the correct Q85 type battery.

There are special procedures for jump starting, disconnecting and charging the Q85 battery. An i-ELOOP equipped vehicle can be jump-started, but the vehicle must not be driven until an in-dash i-ELOOP warning display turns off. Before disconnecting an i-ELOOP equipped vehicle's battery, a "current sensor" must be disconnected from the negative terminal. Failure to first disconnect this sensor can cause false sensor readings and set diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). When reconnecting the battery terminals, first connect the positive terminal, and then the negative terminal without the current sensor connected. Finally reconnect the current sensor to the negative terminal.

Due to the internal design of the Q85 battery, the battery cannot be successfully quick charged. Quick charging will also cause internal damage to the battery. If the battery needs to be recharged, it should be done outside the vehicle, battery caps removed, and in a pan containing 11/2 - 2" of water to prevent battery overheating. Mazda Service Information provides complete and precise Q85 battery testing and recharging procedures that should be followed to guarantee proper battery service.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 10, 2019

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Charles posted:

It adds a neat application menu that shows arrows going from your brakes to a huge battery pack under the car when you brake (which as noted above its just a small capacitor strapped into the front of the car). Other then that never noticed much, it's supposed to add 1-3MPG IIRC, it just came standard on the 3 GT Sport hatchback I bought.

I'll probably get the red top optima next time I change batteries. The dealer wanted somewhere around 400-500 for the Q85 plus service to replace it.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Went on a week-long vacation and my '13 MS3 has had a rough noise that's proportional in frequency to wheel rotation and louder when breaking. I can't see anything out of the ordinary with the breaks or rotors and I've tried pumping the breaks and e-break and I'm still getting the noise. It definitely rained while I was gone, if that matters. Is this just something that'll sort itself out after regular use again?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Like a grinding or a rattling?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Aexo posted:

Went on a week-long vacation and my '13 MS3 has had a rough noise that's proportional in frequency to wheel rotation and louder when breaking. I can't see anything out of the ordinary with the breaks or rotors and I've tried pumping the breaks and e-break and I'm still getting the noise. It definitely rained while I was gone, if that matters. Is this just something that'll sort itself out after regular use again?

Sounds like a wheel bearing starting to fail, from your description. Does it come from a specific wheel? Or get louder when you transfer weight to that part of the car in a corner?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Definitely not a rattling. Like something lightly rubbing on something else every time the wheel rotates. Maybe a balance issue? I dunno. Haven't tested on turns but it sounds like it's coming from the back.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

How much have you driven it? Could just be some rust build up on the rotors that will wear off as you brake.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Dunno if this will work... This is when I'm breaking

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1oGr7JRHrB5

Edit: I only drove it briefly this morning. Driving now.

Aexo fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 23, 2019

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Aexo posted:

Dunno if this will work... This is when I'm breaking

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1oGr7JRHrB5

Edit: I only drove it briefly this morning. Driving now.

Sounds like rusty rotors or maybe something stuck in the tire. And the word is brake :)

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Any reputable places to get new switchblade keys, or am I stuck going to a dealer and paying $$$? Assholes stole my bag with my keys in it. Car is probably safe but my other key is a wreck.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
First time listener, first time caller:

Have a 2017 3 touring with 27k miles on it that gets used for a 45 minute each way commute through suburbia and into the edge of the city every day.

Had to replace the rear brakes because one side was down to the backer and grinding, and the other was close. The fronts looked OK without taking the wheels off, but my 30 years of experience with cars told me they had to be close if the rears were shot, so I order a full set of parts.

Replace the rears this morning (with a cheat code to back off the e-brake, that was a first for me), then move around and jack up the front and take off the wheel and the brakes are fine. Barely any wear on the rotor, a good amount of pad left.

So my question: What the hell? The internet claims this is a known issue for the 3, but what is making the rears wear out so quickly and not remotely in proportion to the front?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Torque vectored abs braking maybe? I know that was a thing on the FiST.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

stealie72 posted:

First time listener, first time caller:

Have a 2017 3 touring with 27k miles on it that gets used for a 45 minute each way commute through suburbia and into the edge of the city every day.

Had to replace the rear brakes because one side was down to the backer and grinding, and the other was close. The fronts looked OK without taking the wheels off, but my 30 years of experience with cars told me they had to be close if the rears were shot, so I order a full set of parts.

Replace the rears this morning (with a cheat code to back off the e-brake, that was a first for me), then move around and jack up the front and take off the wheel and the brakes are fine. Barely any wear on the rotor, a good amount of pad left.

So my question: What the hell? The internet claims this is a known issue for the 3, but what is making the rears wear out so quickly and not remotely in proportion to the front?

Mine went through it's rear pads around 30k while the front had no issues. My guess would be Mazda is providing much thinner starting pads (probably to save cash on parts) which are also being worn faster by the traction control system. Just a guess though. Alas the era of rear pads lasting until the heat death of the universe has passed.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 23, 2019

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm curious about this cheat code for the E-brake. What does that mean?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

I'm curious about this cheat code for the E-brake. What does that mean?
My trim level has an electric ebrake that has electric motors on the back of each rear caliper to activate the brake.

To get the caliper off, you can either mess around with a torx screw on the back of the ebrake motor to back it off and/or take the motor off, or you can go into maintenance mode, which backs the electric motors off completely. So to do that, you've gotta have the car on but not running, then pull up on the ebrake switch while flooring the gas pedal then pressing start three times quickly, then do it again when you're done to get the electric motors engaged again. First time I've ever had to do something like that and it felt like I should be getting extra lives.

As a bonus, maintenance mode backs the ebrake motors off far enough that you can just push the piston straight back in and not have to mess around with turning it back in. So there's that.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I finally got around to replacing my cabin air filter on my 09 MS3. I think the last time I replaced it was in October of 2015. I tried the not-removing-the-glove-box method, and my entire body hurts.

I don't know why you wouldn't remove the glove box. It's not hard, and it gives you a lot more room to work.

gently caress whoever designed this generation's HVAC system.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

I finally got around to replacing my cabin air filter on my 09 MS3. I think the last time I replaced it was in October of 2015. I tried the not-removing-the-glove-box method, and my entire body hurts.

I don't know why you wouldn't remove the glove box. It's not hard, and it gives you a lot more room to work.

gently caress whoever designed this generation's HVAC system.

I remember changing it once on my 2012 mazda3 and vowing never again.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I owned my 08 for 7 years or so, and had a new in box filter for 4 of those years. Every once in a while I'd look up the process and...nope. Threw it in the hatch for the next guy when I sold it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It doesn't do much anyway.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I let my dad drive my MS3 on Sunday (big mistake), and he managed to cause the clutch to burn in like 5 minutes. The smell is mostly gone, but comes back (if faintly) after driving for about 20 minutes. Will it eventually go away on its own, or do I have to replace the clutch now? The car drives and shifts fine otherwise, no slipping as far as I can tell.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

It'll go away in another 50-hundred miles or so

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh, 2019 not kind to my 08.5 3. Now it sounds like a wheel bearing is gone. Death by a thousand five-hundred-dollar-repairs cuts. At some point I have to decide whether I want to keep putting money into this car or just buying something new. This was the first car I owned that I really loved, though, so I've got some kind of weird soft spot for just throwing money at it.

It's not even an amazing car like a MS3 or anything :(

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah its a tough decision to make, and resale value doesnt necessarily factor in. But might want to start pricing what youd like to move on to (without going down a rabbit hole about personal finance).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Going down that rabbit hole might be useful for other, unrelated reasons, though.

Do you have any good shops nearby that can do a honest assessment of the mechanical soundness of your car? Might be worth doing that, and then estimating the cost per year (and/or per mile) factoring in expected corrective (or preventative) maintenance.

In my case, switching from a 2015 Mazda 3 to a new Tesla made (some) financial sense for yearly/per mile costs, but I'll readily admit that the drop in resale value will probably sting down the road.

E: A big factor for me was that I wasn't too keen on owning a diesel car out of warranty with a very expensive particulate filter that's prone to fail after 100k miles, and 6.3k mile oil intervals (that had to be done at a dealer because lol resetting oil values in the ECU).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Lesson learned, don't park in the Texas heat all day, ever. I got into my car after it had baked in the sun all day on the roof of the parking garage and something in the driver side front window was jammed or overheated and the window wouldn't budge. I could hear a relay or motor engaging but nothing moved.

I assumed the worst, that the drive gear had eaten itself like the driver rear door did a year or two ago-- and I have a spare hear set lying around. Fortunately, this morning the window rolled down without issue.

RE: Death by $500 maintenance: I still have all the parts in my garage to do the front struts, but it is just too loving hot-- and I'm starting to get tempted to just pay a garage to do it, but I haven't found a trustworthy shop.

Someone motivate me. I kind of want to test drive a CTR, Focus RS, and Model 3, but I also don't want a car payment.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

This Texas heat is why I never bothered with the dash recall and have been putting off new paint. Best plan is to save and buy used with cash (or finance as little as possible) IMHO. Im hoping mine will last a while longer with the hosed cat conv and anything else.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I did the thing!

2016, 2.0 Sport Black with all the toys.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

lord man jesus it is time. it is TIME

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Nice! Just dont run Cobb OTS tunes, they suck.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

hattersmad posted:

Nice! Just dont run Cobb OTS tunes, they suck.

Cobb does have nice OTS maps if you're running a stock or Cobb-parts-only lightly modified car, but the PO installed a Garrett on this MS6 so I'm in touch with the Freektune guys instead. I'm really happy to be rid of the UniChip; it was a good product, but I gotta move on to the Thing That Shows Me Live Data.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Eh, I ran a Cobb OTS tune for a week and it wouldnt hit boost targets, had weird fuel trims, etc. Then I got a custom tune from Stratified and its been great for 40k miles. Ive heard good things about Freektune, too. I think the platform is mature enough these days that there are a lot of great tuning options.

Are you planning on running an E85 mix? Ive been running E30 by mixing 91 octane and E85, and its a noticeable difference compared to straight 91 octane (40 WHP difference according to vdyno).

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Current priority is getting the car registerable and inspectable, but the drinking of corn is an interesting future thought if it behaves itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

We'll be getting a new Mazda 3 by the end of the year. It'll be Soul Red, and I hear bad things about that paint in particular. Is there some accepted best practice on what to do with it? Like, are protective films recommended/must haves for these cars? Can they be machine washed?