Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

Ever get the feeling that the developers hate you, huh?

If you want to catch a Bagon in soul silver you need to place the appropriate items in the safari zone in the right places for just bagon and then play the game for one hundred and twenty days before the multipliers reach the score you need to catch it.

Most of the rarer pokemon in there require blocks placed in the right areas of the zone to create the right scores, but there's a limit of 30 blocks being placed at once, so you can't do them all at the same time - you have to target one or two pokemon and wait for them to arrive then reset and start again.

And it has an internal checker to make sure that it's days played, you can't just set the clock forward.

There's no way of knowing which block scores you need for which pokemon: for the lower more common ones you could stumble on them, but for the rarer ones you have to be specific, so of course the only real way of doing it is of course to look them up online.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Geostomp posted:

They already post healing NPCs in tough areas. If you could heal on the fly for any reasonable cost the games would lose even more challenge.

You're confusing challenge with tedium. The only way it ever tries to be 'challenging' is by wearing you down through long segments like Victory Road, without every making any of the individual fights within that area challenging.

If you get low on health and are forced to heal up, that is not part of the challenge, that is just time spent doing other things, since going back to heal is not challenging.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Borsche69 posted:

You're confusing challenge with tedium.

this but directed at a majority of all posts about video game difficulty

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Mierenneuker posted:

Ever get the feeling that the developers hate you, huh?

I wouldn't call it hate because that takes effort. Take Flygon, which was bound to get a mega evolution, but Ken Sugimori had an "artiste" fit and couldn't be arsed to draw the drat thing.
Masuda just justifies his pledge to mediocrity with how low (in his eyes) BW2 sold. I really don't know what the hell he was expecting.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I'll never not blame part of the mediocrity from XY onwards on those that threw a shitfit at Black/White having exclusively new pokemon before the postgame.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

qnqnx posted:

I'll never not blame part of the mediocrity from XY onwards on those that threw a shitfit at Black/White having exclusively new pokemon before the postgame.

That was such a cool feature. I never understood how nearly 150 fresh new Pokemon could ever have been thought of as a con. Get out of your comfort zone!

Also, bring back rotation battles. Those were so much fun.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The Black and White games really were so good

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Black and White are the perfect pokemon games. The best compromise of challenge and accessibility. Can't wait to replay BW2 sometime to also chalk them up as perfect pokemon games (Still got a few hours before finishing Judgment, Astral Chain comes out in a week, Dragon Quest 11 put out the first 10sh hours as a free demo...)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Thinking about the climactic showdown with N where you have a great big dragon duel

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Detective No. 27 posted:

That was such a cool feature. I never understood how nearly 150 fresh new Pokemon could ever have been thought of as a con. Get out of your comfort zone!

Maybe they shouldn't have locked almost a third of those new Pokemon to the postgame then. Also had a better selection of Pokemon before the first two gyms instead of literally the smallest selection ever

Also not had such ridiculously jacked up evolution levels for Hydreigon and Volcarona, two of the best new Pokemon you couldn't use until well into the postgame.

Also all the Legendaries looked like total rear end. Most of the normal Pokemon were great so no idea what the hell was up with Reshiram or the Genies

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 22, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheKingofSprings posted:

Thinking about the climactic showdown with N where you have a great big dragon duel

I like ruining that moment by losing on purpose so I can give my dragon rare candies so it doesn't get destroyed by Ghetsis right after

Also N's Final battle music is top-tier

More songs could use heartbeats and ticking clocks

Temporal Spire's theme is quite good in that regard as well

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

When the music quiets down and starts playing heart beats from left to right, showing how in sync you and N are. :chefkiss:

Ahh, like, I replayed White about three months ago, and thinking back, the absolute only complaint I have is that about 2 hours in the middle are pretty lame. After chargestone cave, up until beating Team Plasma after the seventh gym, the game just has you climbing spires with about 1 new species in the routes and 1 in the spires, you see Cheren and N, but don't fight them or do anything to advance. And by that point, the gyms are a cakewalk since it's so easy to have type advantage ready for flying and ice that late in the game. Plus no real puzzles in those gyms. But that's about it, there's a stretch that isn't great and the rest of the game is excellent.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 22, 2019

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I really like the choose as many mons as the opponent has. Keeps the battles shorter while still really upping the challenge.

If you want to balance out the difficulty just have them be ok to lose, where after the fight the trainer no longer auto-aggros, but you’re welcome to challenge them again.

Yeah, this is absolutely perfect.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The ice gym is hilarious since everyone uses the same three pokemon (Cubchoo, Vanilish, Cryogonal)

Really wish gyms would specialize in a Type, then have pokemon that can USE that type without BEING that type

At least Mistralton doesn't have everyone using Detectbird

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The 7th gym was actually somewhat tough for me because at that point I had already started swapping between 2 6 Pokemon teams so everything was underlevelled

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

The ice gym is hilarious since everyone uses the same three pokemon (Cubchoo, Vanilish, Cryogonal)

Really wish gyms would specialize in a Type, then have pokemon that can USE that type without BEING that type

At least Mistralton doesn't have everyone using Detectbird

The worst part is that it goes back and forth with Cubchoos and Cryogonals at first, then you no-joke fight 4 vanilishes in a row through 3 different trainers.

Then the leader just evolves the bear and ice cream once like your pokemon with fire or fighting moves hasn't just jumped like four or five levels in their sleep.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Zuzie posted:

I guess they playtest the game to an extent, but not to the degree that the fandom does, which is probably why their idea of game balance is so weird compared to the fandom's idea of game balance. It's probably also the reason why there are baffling design decisions like certain Pokémon being unable to learn certain moves even though they logically should, like Dedenne not being able to learn any special fairy moves.

Power Gem is still a level 0 move for Lunatone, and Lunatone couldn't even learn it at all until (I think) the ORAS move tutors.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zore posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have locked almost a third of those new Pokemon to the postgame then.

The game actually had a post-game to lock those awesome new Pokemon to. :checkmate:

I might pick up a copy of White this weekend. I've been itching to replay it don't wanna erase the copy of Black that I completed the National Dex in.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The evolution levels in Unova are stupid and anything over 50 needs to be dropped by 15-20 levels

Or use 5x exp multipliers...

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Yeah I'm about 5 badges into white 2 right now and this is the first pokemon game where fighting all the trainers has still left me feeling under leveled as hell.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Tir McDohl posted:

Yeah I'm about 5 badges into white 2 right now and this is the first pokemon game where fighting all the trainers has still left me feeling under leveled as hell.

Pokemon shares this problem with a lot of RPG's with random encounters where the developer can never really be sure how much time you've spent in the tall grass. SS had an elite four who were like 15 levels over me despite fighting every NPC trainer, while in Red fighting every trainer made me so over leveled the E4 fell over when I sneezed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Pokemon shares this problem with a lot of RPG's with random encounters where the developer can never really be sure how much time you've spent in the tall grass. SS had an elite four who were like 15 levels over me despite fighting every NPC trainer, while in Red fighting every trainer made me so over leveled the E4 fell over when I sneezed.

To be fair Johto just has a ridiculously bad level curve in general.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ka0 posted:

A minigame where you go around every cave in every region exterminating Zubat. That's a mode I'd like to see.

After using Crobat a bunch I have to say that I like Zubat now. Even though its level up movepool totally sucked until like gen 6 or 7 where it learned Bite and Wing Attack at a reasonable rate.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SyntheticPolygon posted:

all along the real Dark-type... was the level curve

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Zore posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have locked almost a third of those new Pokemon to the postgame then. Also had a better selection of Pokemon before the first two gyms instead of literally the smallest selection ever

Also not had such ridiculously jacked up evolution levels for Hydreigon and Volcarona, two of the best new Pokemon you couldn't use until well into the postgame.

Also all the Legendaries looked like total rear end. Most of the normal Pokemon were great so no idea what the hell was up with Reshiram or the Genies

agreed on all counts, not to mention they try to examine the philosophical dilemma of Pokemon ownership and battling and then just handwave it with "they WANT to!" B&W are good but pretty overrated around here

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Borsche69 posted:

After using Crobat a bunch I have to say that I like Zubat now. Even though its level up movepool totally sucked until like gen 6 or 7 where it learned Bite and Wing Attack at a reasonable rate.

The secret is to catch Zubat in a later cave when it's around level 20 or higher.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Solumin posted:

The secret is to catch Zubat in a later cave when it's around level 20 or higher.

But for HGSS that's the postgame!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It seems like the big issue is that the developers have never had a consistent idea of what level they want the player to be near once they get to the E4. It changes a decent amount between Gens, and their inability to do this has big ramifications for stuff like evolution levels and movelearning levels.

If they said - okay, the player should beat the E4 at level 70 (give or take 5-10 levels) and just stuck to that every gen, they could more easily plan pokemon the challenge and the pokemon around that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Gen 5 introduced the best Pokemon, pants lizard.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Gen 5 introduced the best Pokemons, among them pants lizard.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Best pokemon are pokemon that get evolutions/new forms in a later gen. FACT.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 23, 2019

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
But the Trapinch line never got a Mega or Regional Forme and it’s perfect the way it is???

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Actually it would be perfect if it became a larger scarier antlion instead of a dragon

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Elesa's gym in BW2 has this runway show music which is perfect and then after you beat her you get to walk along with her.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

galagazombie posted:

I'm playing Sapphire for the first time since launch and I don't know if I'm misremembering or I'm poo poo or what, but I'm at the E4 and my mons are all mid-40s after fighting all of the trainers I came across while there's are mid-50s. I managed to nearly defeat the champ, but I was out of PP on all of my big attacks.

I nearly got swept by Sharpedo in the next E4 attempt...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any proponents of the pre-gen IV physical/ special moves split?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

MikeJF posted:

If you want to catch a Bagon in soul silver you need to place the appropriate items in the safari zone in the right places for just bagon and then play the game for one hundred and twenty days before the multipliers reach the score you need to catch it.

Most of the rarer pokemon in there require blocks placed in the right areas of the zone to create the right scores, but there's a limit of 30 blocks being placed at once, so you can't do them all at the same time - you have to target one or two pokemon and wait for them to arrive then reset and start again.

And it has an internal checker to make sure that it's days played, you can't just set the clock forward.

There's no way of knowing which block scores you need for which pokemon: for the lower more common ones you could stumble on them, but for the rarer ones you have to be specific, so of course the only real way of doing it is of course to look them up online.

Fun fact about this: Bulbapedia gave up on trying to figure out everything with the Safari Zone in HG/SS. It was *that* complicated.

Their guide is forever incomplete.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Silegna posted:

Fun fact about this: Bulbapedia gave up on trying to figure out everything with the Safari Zone in HG/SS. It was *that* complicated.

Their guide is forever incomplete.

Have fun catching 'em all, kids!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Any proponents of the pre-gen IV physical/ special moves split?

Why would anyone defend the stupidity of moves like ice punch or bite being special based instead of physical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
In this essay I will argue that Blizzard and Earthquake were fundamental to