Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Sundae posted:

Yeah, if you want to point at racism in the bay area, Sausalito just got ordered to integrate its schools in loving 2019. Way closer to home than Modesto. :suicide: But seriously, the number of racist shits I'm running into even on the peninsula proper is stunning. Moving out west has been a major reality-check for me, re: the hippie stereotype the rest of the USA attributes to California.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/09/us/sausalito-school-segregation.html
https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/education/article/Wealthy-San-Francisco-suburb-agrees-to-14293830.php

Map of Hate

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map?state=CA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
No that's my point. Modesto is not the Bay. Modesto regressives regularly complain about the Bay invading the area with gay commie thought. And this regressive comes to Modesto from the Bay to push fascist theater.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm not really sure that I'd count Modesto as the "Bay area", its pretty far out there.

The guy named in the article is from Oakland. He's like the reverse case of the pro-life protesters who bus into SF from the central valley every year.

Sundae posted:

Yeah, if you want to point at racism in the bay area, Sausalito just got ordered to integrate its schools in loving 2019. Way closer to home than Modesto. :suicide: But seriously, the number of racist shits I'm running into even on the peninsula proper is stunning. Moving out west has been a major reality-check for me, re: the hippie stereotype the rest of the USA attributes to California.

I have had police on the peninsula straight-up tell me they weren't ticketing me because I'm not Mexican and make other charming comments about Mexicans. It's hard to get nice bay area white liberals to care about anything that targets Latinos or low-income/undocumented Asians, either, I've found.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
A very large percentage of the "Bay Area" police, etc all drive in from the central valley for 25+ years.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Keyser_Soze posted:

A very large percentage of the "Bay Area" police, etc all drive in from the central valley for 25+ years.

IIRC there is a tremendous concentration of San Francisco LEOs in South San Francisco, San Bruno and Millbrae.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Not everyone in a population of 9 million people believes the same thing and American liberals are massive hypocrites when it comes to racial and class issues. Film at 11.

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 12, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
CA is really not that liberal, like I tell people a lot of our "blue" comes from people that are basically bog standard GOP who happen to be ok with weed and gay marriage.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
CA is, population wise, liberal. it just so happens liberals are loving terrible people and support neoliberal policies that inherently reinforce racial and classist divides with ingenious economy policies such as 'wat if we do freemarket, but, make consumer do X' without ever addressing root cause and putting the onus on the actual companies and people responsible. just slight tweaking around the edges. It's the bog standard don't-rock-the-boat radical status quo-ism.

now, CA is absolutely not leftist if that's what you're getting at.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Liberals love making consumers do X. Don’t you dare take away a drop of water from megafarms. Instead, consider showering less and letting your potted plants die! American farmers deserve our reverence and deference and you city people are the real moochers.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Xaris posted:

CA is, population wise, liberal. it just so happens liberals are loving terrible people and support neoliberal policies that inherently reinforce racial and classist divides with ingenious economy policies such as 'wat if we do freemarket, but, make consumer do X' without ever addressing root cause and putting the onus on the actual companies and people responsible. just slight tweaking around the edges. It's the bog standard don't-rock-the-boat radical status quo-ism.

now, CA is absolutely not leftist if that's what you're getting at.

There's also plenty of regular conservatives in the suburbs, smaller towns, and rural areas. Trump got 4.4 million votes here, which is more Trump voters than the total population of many red states.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Liberals love making consumers do X. Don’t you dare take away a drop of water from megafarms. Instead, consider showering less and letting your potted plants die! American farmers deserve our reverence and deference and you city people are the real moochers.

While I don't believe liberals are bad, I do believe that they've been captured by a bad ideology that tells them they can fix society's problems through individual autonomous action, which is plainly stupid as hell.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Liberals believe that capitol and labor can cooperate in good faith, which is a garbage foundation to built an ideology upon.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Skippy McPants posted:

Liberals believe that capitol and labor can cooperate in good faith, which is a garbage foundation to built an ideology upon.

True but capital has spent vast amounts of resources to blast it into their brains while suppressing the alternative, so it's not surprising they hooked a lot of fish. Turns out building institutions that lie to people is a very effective way of propagandizing.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
VENT POST

Look at this deeply concerned son of a bitch:

https://www.modbee.com/news/local/article233997582.html

Congressman Harder states "a lot of kids are still in cages." No poo poo, bro? "Border patrol is the wrong agency" to be running kid camps. Dang yeah we should give this to like the EPA or something! "We can never ever let it happen again," the meaning of "it" being unclear given that the "it" you'd think "it" is happens presently and continues to happen. I believe when he says "it" he means "kids in cages but specifically without toothbrushes, toothbrushes being the universally accepted signifier of liberty and dignity." "It's time for a real bipartisan solution to fix our broken immigration system*" and presumably I guess we just gotta keep the kids in the cages until then! Until we make a deal with the scum keeping them in the cages!

*warning: right-wing framing of issue identified

Congressman: hey man I know you're a drat sight better than the Trumper poo poo-stain Jeff Denham you ousted (with my reluctant vote, fine, ya got me) but I hope to God we sack you from the left in 2020. You don't seem to understand that you weren't voted in on a wave of peaceable bipartisan spirit. You were voted in on a wave of anti-Trump sentiment! I saw the rallies! Stop bleating about your bipartisan cred - he was talking about "co-sponsoring more bills authored by the other party than any other fresman" or some poo poo last week - and understand that the orcs will nod at your cooperation and then vote for a full-throated R!

ANYWAY

The paper that brought that to my attention also brought up that the Modesto City Council intends to ban masks, bricks, riot batons, brass knuckles, pepper spray, baseball bats, and similar items from the vicinity of the "straight pride parade" (if indeed that even still happens and acknowledging some of these things are illegal anyway). The paper also featured a picture of "ANTIFA" protesting in Sacramento, which was in my mind a suspect as hell choice of photo to accompany the text. But what do you think of the effect? Aren't the brownshirts usually the ones who show up with riot armor and shields and poo poo, so they'd be caught in this? Also, can someone tell me if "ANTIFA" organizations refer to their core conceit in all capital letters like that? It makes it look like an acronym rather than simply shorthand for "anti-fascist" and so obfuscates the meaning.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Suddenly a whole bunch of young people are diagnosed with respiratory problems and need to carry small oxygen tanks with them.

“This isn’t a weapon, this is for me to breathe with!”

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article234277777.html

Fire up near Redding again, little-to-no containment.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Stay safe, State of Jefferson goons.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Peacoffee posted:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article234277777.html

Fire up near Redding again, little-to-no containment.

This one’s not looking too bad fortunately. It’d be nice if we got a full season of respite from devastating fires after the last couple of years.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I bet it helps that the whole state burned down already less than a year ago. But the Camp Fire was what, November? Still a lot of time for fuels to dry out before the rain comes back.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Not enough of the state. Husband and I drove up to Mendocino earlier this month. there is a fuckton of standing dead timber. Doesn't matter how wet the winter is, that stuff is there until somebody logs it or it burns.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

I bet it helps that the whole state burned down already less than a year ago.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Not enough of the state.

*scorching take ignites nearby timber*

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

*scorching take ignites nearby timber*

Only you can prevent forest fires.

I didn't mean I wanted the whole state to burn down. I like this state. It's where I keep my garden. I meant, and I didn't say, that there is a fuckton of fuel load from all the trees killed by the drought, and it's scary.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I didn't mean I wanted the whole state to burn down. I like this state. It's where I keep my garden. I meant, and I didn't say, that there is a fuckton of fuel load from all the trees killed by the drought, and it's scary.

I'm just joshin' you lol it was a funny thing to respond with

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My daughter had a soccer game in Redding (5 hour round-trip driving for one single game, wahoo) on Saturday and you couldn't tell there was a fire at all. Air was just fine. I think the AQI was <25. Looks like it's 95% contained, with 600 acres affected.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

CalFire has a new map of current incidents, here: https://fire.ca.gov/incidents/

It's nicer than the older Google Maps, and yeah, Redding fire is pretty quiet at this point.

I usually open it up to see what things have popped up every day or so.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

All I need is http://iscaliforniaonfire.com/

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CACorrections/status/1166066806559109120?s=20

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I know we’re gonna be more relevant than usual in the dem primary this year, but it will be especially interesting if Harris eats poo poo early on, as looks increasingly possible. She has most of the state party locked up in terms of endorsements, etc. and if that opens up gonna be a lot of jockeying.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Kill Bristol posted:

if Harris eats poo poo early on, as looks increasingly possible.
God, I hope so... But maybe not before Biden.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah I’m not voting for a cop to be president

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

but what if it were between a money-golem and a cop

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nothing surprises me anymore about politics but I don't see Kamala making it. She doesn't have the name recognition, she doesn't have the policies, she's a naked careerist in the Clinton vein with rich people support and that just doesn't cut it anymore. Warren is doing well because she has decent positions on some things - enough to provide cover - and did a very clever marketing move of taking on the mantle of Realistic Policy Wonk, which a huge portion of Dems loving love. Bernie is doing well because he's literally been 98% correct about everything he's ever said and is a bog standard FDR Democrat which anyone who listens to him speak understands (see: his smashing success on JRE), and Biden is doing well because idiot Obama stans who don't pay attention to politics picked him as the default, not realizing that his brain has turned to oatmeal. Biden is a corporate imbecile who is going to continue to sink until the establishment cuts a deal with Warren. It's going to come down to Bernie vs Warren and Warren will win because she's ultimately not going to threaten the rich and there's too many Boomers alive and sustaining our current busted dying empire to defeat the status quo. By the time 2024 rolls around it will be too late, our terrible Constitution and Warren's own shortcomings will have pushed us into imperial collapse, hastened by our planet's ecosystem dying faster than anyone ever imagined. Ask yourself where you should be and what you should be doing if nativist eco-fascism gripped the country, then start planning to do that now.

Edit: btw just to make it clear Bernie will not be able to fix anything either. We are trapped in the corpse of a dying neolib failure on an increasingly hostile planet.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 29, 2019

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/AASchapiro/status/1166925255002271744

Kamala's family works for Uber by the way lol

https://twitter.com/meenaharris/status/1145400072831508481

Surely nothing to worry about there

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nothing surprises me anymore about politics but I don't see Kamala making it. She doesn't have the name recognition, she doesn't have the policies, she's a naked careerist in the Clinton vein with rich people support and that just doesn't cut it anymore. Warren is doing well because she has decent positions on some things - enough to provide cover - and did a very clever marketing move of taking on the mantle of Realistic Policy Wonk, which a huge portion of Dems loving love. Bernie is doing well because he's literally been 98% correct about everything he's ever said and is a bog standard FDR Democrat which anyone who listens to him speak understands (see: his smashing success on JRE), and Biden is doing well because idiot Obama stans who don't pay attention to politics picked him as the default, not realizing that his brain has turned to oatmeal. Biden is a corporate imbecile who is going to continue to sink until the establishment cuts a deal with Warren. It's going to come down to Bernie vs Warren and Warren will win because she's ultimately not going to threaten the rich and there's too many Boomers alive and sustaining our current busted dying empire to defeat the status quo. By the time 2024 rolls around it will be too late, our terrible Constitution and Warren's own shortcomings will have pushed us into imperial collapse, hastened by our planet's ecosystem dying faster than anyone ever imagined. Ask yourself where you should be and what you should be doing if nativist eco-fascism gripped the country, then start planning to do that now.

Edit: btw just to make it clear Bernie will not be able to fix anything either. We are trapped in the corpse of a dying neolib failure on an increasingly hostile planet.

This is quite optimistic. I still think that Biden is likely going to defeat both Warren and Sanders because the progressives are going to end up splitting our votes. The ideological distance between Warren and the rest of the mainstream Democrats is at least wide as the ideological distance between her and Sanders. I would be extremely relieved and happy if it actually does come down to Bernie vs Warren. Obviously, neither of them can singlehandedly solve our largest political and ecological problems, but it would be good sign that our society has stopped digging ourselves ever deeper in the hole.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Biden will drop out in early 2020 when I give his other son brain cancer by barraging him with exceptionally cursed memes

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snipee posted:

This is quite optimistic. I still think that Biden is likely going to defeat both Warren and Sanders because the progressives are going to end up splitting our votes. The ideological distance between Warren and the rest of the mainstream Democrats is at least wide as the ideological distance between her and Sanders. I would be extremely relieved and happy if it actually does come down to Bernie vs Warren. Obviously, neither of them can singlehandedly solve our largest political and ecological problems, but it would be good sign that our society has stopped digging ourselves ever deeper in the hole.

Sorry if I'm coming off as rude, but the problem here is that the hole has become self-digging, so "just stopping" isn't going to cut it and isn't anything to be happy about.

Biden literally has brain problems, that's not a joke, he's not going to make it to the primaries. The glow of Obama is not going to be bright enough to mask his clear cognitive defects, his horrific legacy on pretty much anything, and his general lack of substance.

If you believe that progs will split the vote, well I actually don't disagree with you entirely. I'm postulating a scenario where the Dems win (and still accomplish nothing). Obviously if the Hampton Richies find another empty suit to prop up and it resonates, then we lose to Trump because status-quo defending neoliberalism has zero chance in the general.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Jesus. Have a beer or something man. The golden age is within us, etc. Pessimism of the intellect optimism of the will and all that.

Bad things are going to probably happen yeah, but there’s hope yet. A lot of good things once thought impossible are happening, not just bad ones. If you told politics watchers in 2009 that Bernie Sanders would be a serious contender for the dem nom and one of the main sources of ideological energy in it in ten years they’d laugh in your face. There are a lot of unknown unknowns in the future, and not all of them are going to be bad.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

yeah I can remember being in Montpelier in the early 2010's first really got to see a lot of his constituency and the idea that some of that politically left energy could have ballooned this much in ten years is astonishing, it's only all the bad stuff that has also happened that makes it seem less important.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Biden literally has brain problems, that's not a joke, he's not going to make it to the primaries. The glow of Obama is not going to be bright enough to mask his clear cognitive defects, his horrific legacy on pretty much anything, and his general lack of substance.

Yeah, this is why Donald Trump flamed out in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

raminasi posted:

Yeah, this is why Donald Trump flamed out in 2016.

Fantastically dumb post. Trump lost the vote by almost 3 million, and the votes he won weren't because he was the oldest and stupidest candidate. Those were weaknesses that he won in spite of, so maybe Dems should consider nominating someone who doesn't share them.