Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
a friend of mine the other day was saying how since we don't know exactly what will happen we shouldn't fear the unknown, so all is well guys!
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like if you're arguing for women's safety in sport you might need to argue that nobody should be playing rugby.

It's a game where you try to basically fight over a ball and ideally don't kill each other in the process, but it's about as likely to not incur injures as professional wrestling.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's kinda satisfying to find out the Great Filter was lil ol' capitalism all along

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You've missed the fun bit of this saying.

Are you trying to get another sixer for not being familiar with the Commodores?

https://youtu.be/rrBx6mAWYPU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's kinda satisfying to find out the Great Filter was lil ol' capitalism all along

*laughs in cosmic marxist*

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hopefully the billionaires will sort out the Amazon, much like they swiftly rebuilt Notre Da-

...oh.

Oh no.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The Amazon fire should be getting a mobilised response from all industrialised countries far in excess of WW2, because it affects everyone in this loving planet in far, far, far greater amounts than any war has. Every single country with the means should be sending hosts of fire-fighting resources, researching and building new technologies, and so on.

Buuuuuuuut it's not profitable to stop the world getting hosed so I guess we'll all just die lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like if you're arguing for women's safety in sport you might need to argue that nobody should be playing rugby.

It's a game where you try to basically fight over a ball and ideally don't kill each other in the process, but it's about as likely to not incur injures as professional wrestling.
Yeah, I'm all for increasing sport safety by banning dangerous plays, using protective equipment, and improving sport medicine, as long as it's done for genuine reasons so you don't end up with huge armored lumps running headfirst at each other and then still getting brain damage. :911:

But I went to a school with a rugby clique, and there was a whole thing around injury, like "yeah I dislocated both shoulders and broke ten ribs and then my 'ead came off", it's probably toxic and macho and unhealthy and all that, but it is what it is and I really doubt those women are sat at home feeling sorry for themselves or whatever Hadley Freeman thinks ladies in sport should be doing, those injured female players probably are transcending their pain by celebrating the joy of full contact sport, because they're rugby players.

And to direct the whole thing at trans athletes rather than specifics of play reminds me more of the "we shouldn't let Samoans play because they're big lads and they have an extra gene that makes them stiff-arm tackle" poo poo than any legitimate concern.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is a really depressing page in the thread

e: The previous page, you know what I mean

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Don't let people be good at sport because of who they are, it's not fair.

Obviously the only legitimate path to success should be superior equipment and/or training, thus ensuring the eternal dominance of capitalism.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pochoclo posted:

Buuuuuuuut it's not profitable to stop the world getting hosed so I guess we'll all just die lol

The thing is, even in the existing capitalist framework, the kind of response you're talking about would be a huge economic stimulus. But nah, let's just see how it plays out

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
i just want to go a week without a cataclysmic event happening.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There doesn't appear to be any headline news (yet?) about Johnson today, breaking his 7 day streak and my theory about him running a media campaign.

Given I've posted daily updates of it I feel it's only fair to admit when it doesn't work out.

e; Well Patty is going to chat with the French about brutalising refugees some more, but that's pretty everyday stuff.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 23, 2019

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

i just want to go a week without a cataclysmic event happening.
the artic burning up feels so quaint now and it was only like two weeks ago?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Honest Thief posted:

the artic burning up feels so quaint now and it was only like two weeks ago?

man remember when all those protesters brought hong kong to a standstill

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Almost all of that is areas that have already been long burnt down and converted to agriculture, so the farmers just blazin 420

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
Speaking of fires...

https://twitter.com/LondonFire/status/1164864320657920002

e:
https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/564830422035873793

moostaffa fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 23, 2019

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Ratjaculation posted:

Almost all of that is areas that have already been long burnt down and converted to agriculture, so the farmers just blazin 420

No, it's not.

Source: me, a scientist working in the Amazon

Edit: here's a great thread by a fire ecologist colleague

https://twitter.com/yoshi_maezumi/status/1164765662809452545?s=19

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

This can't possibly be real, that all the red area = on fire?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

There doesn't appear to be any headline news (yet?) about Johnson today, breaking his 7 day streak and my theory about him running a media campaign.

Given I've posted daily updates of it I feel it's only fair to admit when it doesn't work out.

e; Well Patty is going to chat with the French about brutalising refugees some more, but that's pretty everyday stuff.

tbh part of a media campaign is knowing when to back off so people don't start tuning you out, given he's had two successful PR moves via Merkel then Macron he's probably fine to let the Friday papers suck his dick over yesterday and take the weekend off

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

His Divine Shadow posted:

It looks a lot worse than it is. It just that's what it looks like zoomed out and there being a minimum pixel size.

Plus it looks like they have a longer time range showing, so this is showing fires that have since been extinguished.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

No, that's why it's a bad map, the size of the dots are not correctly proportioned.

It's still pretty bad

Failed Imagineer posted:

The thing is, even in the existing capitalist framework, the kind of response you're talking about would be a huge economic stimulus. But nah, let's just see how it plays out

"Sure we could save the world and grow the economy therefore growing our profits but that doesn't bring results for next quarter"

Capitalism is short-sighted by nature - between 100 years of steady sustainable profits and 3 quarters of quick bucks but everything gets hosed after that, they'll always go for the quick buck and drat the consequences and well, here we are

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Eh maybe possibly? Restricting it only to Agrifoods might be acceptable to the DUP as they general accept a degree of alignment on phytosanitary standards to facilitate the "free movement of cattle" (their words) as continued access to southern processing plants is essential for NI farmers (many of whom the DUP find to be their natural base) - People like Donaldson have quietly proposed an agricultural only arrangement which is basically an enhanced version of what exists currently.

The DUPs main bugbears are EU directives concerning things like port operation and manufacturing which they think hobble their blatant attempts to funnel state cash to friendly businesses to "stimulate the economy".

However they have talked themselves into a hole over the last year and it's not clear if they can walk back comfortably on these things now - People like Sammy Wilson where always die hard true believers in Brexit but other members of the party are considerably more profit motivated. The one thing they don't like to do is retreat though of course

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Your transatlantic ray of hope for today:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Only Kindness posted:

Thanks for the replies and encouragements guys, I was in a really bleak emotional place with the mental agony, physical symptoms with no relief, lack of sleep, hopelessness, fear, despair and seeing no way out but breathing foul air and then dying of pneumonia or something. I sobbed for probably the first time in 35 years. Despite my depression, my suicidal ideation isn't frequent but it is strong when it hits.

Feel immensely more positive now. Noted about the causes, damp, unlikelihood of actual cross-contamination etc, matches up with my own research but I recognise I need the expert onsite. 51% humidity is highest I've ever seen with 0 ventilation, middle-low-40% in winter, dehumidifier a yes though, it cannot hurt.

I am executing a plan, have decluttered bathroom, kitchen, hallway and my bedroom. Hoovered. Got PPE coveralls and N95 masks. Thrown away stuff already this morning. Seeing clear and clean areas of carpet again is satisfying even if the air is still fouled. 2 rooms to go: tackling a box a day, every day, bojack-it-gets-easier-you-just-have-to-keep-doing-it style. Progress is being made. Calling my expert at 11:30am today.

Hey I just want to say thanks for posting this. My bedroom windows tend to accumulate a bit of mould around them now and then and I'm lazy about cleaning it, but I gave them a proper clean today then went and did the outside of all my windows that were looking a bit grimy too. Now they're streaky because I suck at cleaning but it's an improvement and I feel good!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

It's a composite, not a time series. It's showing all recent fires.

The thing is, the Amazon doesn't burn of its own accord. Ancient pollen and charcoal records (basically layered lake sediments that people have painstakingly extracted and analysed) show that during the ice age, the Amazon didn't burn at all on a large scale. This is before humans had arrived in South America, so we have a baseline signal of fire activity. It didn't burn despite overall drier conditions and a greater proportion of grasslands versus forest (on account of a lot of moisture being locked away in ice caps). There is a marked difference after the ice age. As soon as we show up, we begin managing the land through constant small-scale burning.

The archaeological and environmental records across the Amazon basin are unanimous on this, with some weird exceptions like the western Amazon, which it seems like was always sparsely occupied (and is very wet, so didn't burn anyway).

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Vlex posted:

No, it's not.

Source: me, a scientist working in the Amazon

Edit: here's a great thread by a fire ecologist colleague

https://twitter.com/yoshi_maezumi/status/1164765662809452545?s=19

Then you should be the first to point out that the Paraguayan savannah woodlands at the south of that map, aren't part of the Amazon basin, and that "Biomass burning is concentrated during the months of July-October in the Southern Hemisphere portion of South America, and is linked to agricultural activities, including the use of fire to permanently deforest areas and convert them to agricultural land."

The Atlantic Forest is almost completely removed due to this, and seperated almost* entirely from the Amazon.

*I beleive there was a green corridor project, but can't remember much of it.

E: Not belittling the disaster thats occurring, but this has been going on for years. It's the same effect as photos of the orangutan fighting the tree processors in Sumatra. Hopefully it will stick in peoples minds this time.

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 23, 2019

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

Then you should be the first to point out that the Paraguayan savannah woodlands at the south of that map, aren't part of the Amazon basin, and that "Biomass burning is concentrated during the months of July-October in the Southern Hemisphere portion of South America, and is linked to agricultural activities, including the use of fire to permanently deforest areas and convert them to agricultural land."

The Atlantic Forest is almost completely removed due to this, and seperated entirely from the Amazon.

Trying hard to figure out what your point is. Parts of the continent were deforested relatively recently (in geological terms) and also burn, also they well actually aren't technically within the Amazon basin. :smugdog:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Junior G-man posted:

Which is great until some other old rich white dude steps into that void. Oppression is systemic, not individual.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Vlex posted:

Trying hard to figure out what your point is. Parts of the continent were deforested relatively recently (in geological terms) and also burn, also they well actually aren't technically within the Amazon basin. :smugdog:

Using a shock and awe image of a continent burning is great, but implying that everything that is a red dot is a pristine rainforest is an outright lie, and risks laying a false image in peoples minds that we haven't actually already destroyed masses of primary habitat.

Hope that helps op.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kustomkarkommando posted:

Eh maybe possibly? Restricting it only to Agrifoods might be acceptable to the DUP as they general accept a degree of alignment on phytosanitary standards to facilitate the "free movement of cattle" (their words) as continued access to southern processing plants is essential for NI farmers (many of whom the DUP find to be their natural base) - People like Donaldson have quietly proposed an agricultural only arrangement which is basically an enhanced version of what exists currently.

The DUPs main bugbears are EU directives concerning things like port operation and manufacturing which they think hobble their blatant attempts to funnel state cash to friendly businesses to "stimulate the economy".

However they have talked themselves into a hole over the last year and it's not clear if they can walk back comfortably on these things now - People like Sammy Wilson where always die hard true believers in Brexit but other members of the party are considerably more profit motivated. The one thing they don't like to do is retreat though of course

The DUPs main bugbears is working with Ireland.
I can see them taking the compromise to maintain power in Westminister, but I can also see the other half of them howling that that those do accept it as traitors.
Maybe cheaper to just bung them a few free holidays. They will be singing the Soldier's Song in Temple Bar then.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

Using a shock and awe image of a continent burning is great, but implying that everything that is a red dot is a pristine rainforest is an outright lie, and risks laying a false image in peoples minds that we haven't actually already destroyed masses of primary habitat.

Hope that helps op.

The people driving the large scale burning are burning primary forest and savannah-forest mosaics and previously-deforested land? It's not an either-or :psyduck:

edit: this big splodge here is Urubici National Park, a nominally protected area. Holds one of the last refuges of highland Atlantic Forest.

Vlex fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 23, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rarity posted:

Which is great until some other old rich white dude steps into that void. Oppression is systemic, not individual.

Take your revelries where you can get em tho

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ChefConsultant/status/1164812223614558208

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Junior G-man posted:

https://twitter.com/Ferric242/status/1164869840802373638?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Yes, yes you do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I say this as a liberal who hated his politics but anyone who cheered on the death of Hitler is gross

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

That’s definitely a type of liberalism, so at least he’s self aware.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

I say this as a liberal who hated his politics but anyone who cheered on the death of Hitler is gross
It would have been cooler if he'd been stuck in prison until the 80s crying that the other inmates got Atari and he didn't and it's against his human rights, there'd be less dipshits claiming he did anything of worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Ding dong the merry-o sing it high, sing it low,
Let them know that David Koch is deaaaaad

Finally, time is catching up with all of these cunts.