Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Vlex posted:

The people driving the large scale burning are burning primary forest and savannah-forest mosaics and previously-deforested land? It's not an either-or :psyduck:

edit: this big splodge here is Urubici National Park, a nominally protected area. Holds one of the last refuges of highland Atlantic Forest.

Well I value primary rainforest more than converted land, yes. Huge areas of rainforest are on fire and thats tragic, I hope you're safe if you are there.

As I said, the majority of those red dots are due to biomass fires in areas of either pasture or monocultures. We need people to learn how much we have lost, if they are to understand why it is so important that the remaining wild forest is protected. Using misleading imagery is the tool of the Daily Mail, not scientists and rationality.

Case in point, your splodge seems to be on top of the pastures around Lajeado Grande and São Joaquim, a massive area almost entirely cleared of forest.

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Always good to see poo poo like this so we can remind ourselves that the liberals are not, in fact, our friends.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The only way to stop those rich vampire liches is death for now, so we might as well celebrate it while they still haven't developed clinical immortality

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I don't know about the extended family of the Koch but even if they're all not as horrible as the brothers the brothers wills will keep funding the foundations they set up so you've just got to hope the non family leadership are all true believers and go the way of Sears or something.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
David Koch's death is confirmed in the papers

One down, one to go :toot:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

we can all hope

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 23, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am going to see you all later. Not feeling too good atm and I slept funny so my spinal column is screaming at me.

Will be back in a few days. Love you all so so much, keep safe.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I say this as a Muggle, but everyone cheering HIS death is being gross.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

I'd definitely recommend a dessicant based one rather than a compressor based one. Compressor ones seem to work better for swampy warm air, whereas I've dried out my front room (Victorian terrace, chimneys weren't vented properly before I moved in, mold smell in cupboards) and whole house with one of these (don't pay that for it though, you can get one for £170 or less if you shop around).

It's got an air sterilizer in too, and a laundry mode that dries clothes on an indoor line quickly.

As the new owner of a dampish victorian living room with an improperly bricked-up chimney, I'd be very interested in hearing any additional thoughts you have on making the damp bits go away.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

happyhippy posted:

I say this as a Muggle, but everyone cheering HIS death is being gross.

I got shat on by a bird earlier, so pre-karma?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Probably with the construction of a phylactery.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The X in a green box is triggering me

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Josef bugman posted:

I am going to see you all later. Not feeling too good atm and I slept funny so my spinal column is screaming at me.

Will be back in a few days. Love you all so so much, keep safe.

Take it easy brother. Ibuprofen and a hot bath might help.

Edit also consider bran flakes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

As the new owner of a dampish victorian living room with an improperly bricked-up chimney, I'd be very interested in hearing any additional thoughts you have on making the damp bits go away.
I left all the cupboard doors open and a fan on to get a draught through, pulled up mdf unit bottoms to expose the old bits underneath, and had big trays of dessicant that you then have to heat in the oven to dry out.

It worked, but was a huge pain (and used far more electricity) compared to a dessicant dehumidifier.

Also it depends how improperly the chimneys have been closed up. The worst one for me just had a sheet of hardboard glued over the old fireplace hole and nothing else, which was easy to fix with a holesaw and a cheap vent.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The X in a green box is triggering me
It fits well with the tone of the letter.

Dear Sir,

I am please to inform you that you have failed. gently caress off. Foreigns out.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I wonder if Limmy met him at a charity do...

Wait, it's David Koch, there's no way he would be at a charity event.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/DSchopen/status/1164887237269393414

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Met David Koch on a secret nonce island once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tsietisin posted:

I wonder if Limmy met him at a charity do...

Wait, it's David Koch, there's no way he would be at a charity event.

????

The Koch's are big philanthropists. They're also superhumanly evil, but nevertheless as a liberal I can appreciate their contributions to NPR, and various museum wings

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Private Speech posted:

There doesn't appear to be any headline news (yet?) about Johnson today, breaking his 7 day streak and my theory about him running a media campaign.

Given I've posted daily updates of it I feel it's only fair to admit when it doesn't work out.

e; Well Patty is going to chat with the French about brutalising refugees some more, but that's pretty everyday stuff.

you're still good

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1164891214073741313

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Met David Koch on a secret nonce island once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

Brexit Britain is hardly secret

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Pistol_Pete posted:

Vents, lots of vents. Victorian houses were designed to be drafty, if you make them air-tight by blocking up the chimney, putting down laminate floor and replacing with windows with UPVC poo poo then they turn in to mould factories with knackered plaster and rotting beams. Get some air bricks and internal vents fitted and everything should dry right up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

????

The Koch's are big philanthropists. They're also superhumanly evil, but nevertheless as a liberal I can appreciate their contributions to NPR, and various museum wings
Met David Koch at a charity do once. The charity was a magazine that advocates a thriving free market in babies and is registered as a nonprofit to feed its director's cocaine habit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/wxdwhipp/status/1164886923082706946?s=19

:hmmyes:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I say this as a broke brained individual but everyone cheering on Koch's death is misguided because it means he won't live to suffer in the climate hell that he helped create.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

AceOfFlames posted:

I say this as a broke brained individual but everyone cheering on Koch's death is misguided because it means he won't live to suffer in the climate hell that he helped create.

He'd have continued to live in a climate controlled environment of expensively and environmentally damagingly irrigated golf courses.
One of the reasons the mega rich don't give a poo poo about the environment is that they seldom need to interact with it in anything other than a managed and maintained way. Him loving off means one fewer person funding and lobbying for oil interests and I for one will happily piss on his grave even if that piss turns to steam before landing.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

he won't live to suffer

Sorry mate but fate determined that man was never to suffer. Had he continued to live he would have continued to not suffer.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/sannewman/status/1164896292381888512?s=19

Good point, that

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

Your transatlantic ray of hope for today:

RIP, he supported the worst of conservatism and was probably into some truly evil poo poo we'll never know about. Glad he's dead, hope it was agony.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Failed Imagineer posted:

????

This reads exactly like the discussion from a few days ago about oil companies doing greenwashing poo poo. The kochs are/were super evil and even outside their actual business interests (which are bad enough) are/were major donoras to aggressive misinformation publications, fascist political parties and lobbying groups, etc etc etc.

The world would have ben better off without them, even if they have done philanthropy. Their net contribution is wildly negative.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
'Koch’s death was confirmed in a statement that said he had died from prostate cancer which he had been diagnosed with 27 years ago yet had remarkably kept at bay until now.'

David Koch's cancer was a millenial. Makes sense his last dying act was to kill it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

StarkingBarfish posted:

environmentally damagingly

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

environmentally damagingly irrigated makes sense no?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

StarkingBarfish posted:

'Koch’s death was confirmed in a statement that said he had died from prostate cancer which he had been diagnosed with 27 years ago yet had remarkably kept at bay until now.'

David Koch's cancer was a millenial. Makes sense his last dying act was to kill it.

Remarkable that someone with billions of stolen dollars was somehow, through sheer force of will and nothing else, able to single-handedly fight off his own cancer for 27 years. Truly an inspiration.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

This reads exactly like the discussion from a few days ago about oil companies doing greenwashing poo poo. The kochs are/were super evil and even outside their actual business interests (which are bad enough) are/were major donoras to aggressive misinformation publications, fascist political parties and lobbying groups, etc etc etc.

The world would have ben better off without them, even if they have done philanthropy. Their net contribution is wildly negative.

You don't say...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tring to come up with something better than 'Koch's a stiff,' will keep you updated with progress, over.

E: I guess I did just wake up from a siesta, so it's always nice to wake up to a stiff koch?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tarnop posted:

Remarkable that someone with billions of stolen dollars was somehow, through sheer force of will and nothing else, able to single-handedly fight off his own cancer for 27 years. Truly an inspiration.

Not that unusual with non-extracapsular prostate cancer

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Tring to come up with something better than 'Koch's a stiff,' will keep you updated with progress, over.

'Koch drops' I thought would make a nice redtop headline.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

You don't say...

So why mention their philanthropy at all?

Or did I miss a sarcasm?

Probably that, if so sorry.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

So why mention their philanthropy at all?

Or did I miss a sarcasm?

Probably that, if so sorry.

Yeah I thought saying "as a liberal" was a bit of a tell but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I thought saying "as a liberal" was a bit of a tell but :shrug:

Yeah I think I glossed over that bit.