Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

neurosurgeon with pastry dream just wants her own Hameau de la Reine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Fitzy Fitz posted:

neurosurgeon with pastry dream just wants her own Hameau de la Reine

that's french for Ham of the Queen.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

carry on then posted:

you can tell how many goons live alone by how often “stay home if you’re even a little bit sniffly” gets repeated. people are going to work sick because they don’t want to risk the health of their loved ones

Your loved ones are going to be in close proximity regardless, don't go around exposing additional people because you want to be a big man and tough it out in front of everyone. Especially if you're in a customer facing role, and extra especially if you're touching those people or their food.

That's unfortunately not financially possible for everyone, but if you're lucky enough to have a job with a decent sick leave policy just stay home.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

carry on then posted:

you can tell how many goons live alone by how often “stay home if you’re even a little bit sniffly” gets repeated. people are going to work sick because they don’t want to lose their job

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah NTA. Sounds like they just wanted to use y’all.

I'll agree NTA on the wedding, but

quote:

We had an amazing gender reveal party
obviously AN rear end in a top hat, just not THE rear end in a top hat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Due to some personal circumstances, does anybody have any good r/relationships stories about BPD family friends or couples?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Pick posted:

Due to some personal circumstances, does anybody have any good r/relationships stories about BPD family friends or couples?

By good, do you mean they are full of drama or that they have happy endings?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Yond Cassius posted:

This is a perennial favorite over in BFC's Bad With Money thread, but it might be a new link here.
"A Restaurant Ruined My Life" should be required reading for anyone opening a first food business.

God this article always loving kills me with what an oblivious knob the guy is:

quote:

With a successful summer behind us, I decided to close the Beech Tree for the last week of August to give everyone a vacation, and to spend time with my neglected wife and kids. In those seven days that we were closed, supplier cheques continued to clear and salaried staff continued to get paid, but nothing came in to replace that money.

I mean I don't have any illusions that I'd be able to open a successful restaurant, but what kind of idiot decides to close a restaurant for a week for no loving reason??!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

AITA for telling my GFs Son he has to go to college to live with me?

quote:

I've been with Hannah for 3 years. Last year she got evicted and had to move in with me, along with her son Tron who was 16 at the time. My house is my greatest asset. I bought it during the recession for a very good price, and I've put a lot of time, money, and effort into making it a nice home so the value has doubled in the past 10 years. Hannah is a very caring person, but she has had some parenting issues with Tron. He hated school so he never went. He's been kicked out of multiple schools for truancy, fighting, you name it. I sat them both down at the time and laid out my rules before allowing them to move in. Respect my house, contribute to our home. If either of them broke those rules they had to leave. For Tron, the "contribution" is simply get passing grades, and do some minor chores. I told him if you choose not to go to school, I wouldn't be up your rear end about it, but you're getting out of my house every school day at 8am and you need to pass your classes. Its been rough trying to help parent him because of Hannah's reluctance, so I dont overstep the boundaries she has created, but I also do not let him overstep the boundaries I have created for living in my house.

Tron did his thing and managed to barely graduate from High School. I told him I was proud of him for turning it around and bought him and 1 of his friends a trip to Mexico for his hard work (he was SERIOUSLY behind when he moved in, he had to take night classes and go to Summer school to graduate on time). I also told him we would continue our arrangement for Community College. Go full time, you can live here rent free.

He said no. He's got a side business that has been doing really well for him and he wants to do it full time. Hannah agrees his business is doing well and WE should support that. He sells customized shoes and makes $1.5k to $2k per month. I said OK, you can still live here but you'll pay $400 a month in rent. Thats 1/2 the market rate to rent a 1 bedroom in my neighborhood. They both told me no way, that was unreasonable. He's a kid and if he's working towards his future that should count the same as college and therefore I shouldn't charge rent. I say no to that. He party's a lot, he spends a ton of money on clothes, jewelry, and his car. That was cool when he was in High School, but he's an adult now.

I laid out a compromise. Take 3 classes at the Community College. 1 class has to be a mandatory Gen Ed class, 1 class has to be towards his personal interest (Business, Accounting, Marketing, etc. since thats what he's doing) and 1 easy class that counts towards a basic degree. Thats a little more than part time, so I'll only charge $150 a month, and I'll save that to give it back to you when you move out. They both say I'm still being unfair and elitist since I'm mandating college for someone that has already chosen another path that they're succeeding in.

This one is special to me, because my wife and I took in her kid brother who has done gently caress-all with his life in the year since he moved in. Somehow Tron is even more motivated than him.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This one is special to me, because my wife and I took in her kid brother who has done gently caress-all with his life in the year since he moved in. Somehow Tron is even more motivated than him.

I'm kinda torn on this one. He's not doing nothing - he's got something going. It doesn't sound like something that has a clear career path, but making him take random gen-ed and business classes at the local CC doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than keep him busy and checking a box. Charging a below-market Kid Rent and putting it aside maybe without telling him, so you can bust it out when his life does come into a bit more focus) is a good idea. He seems like the kind of guy who ends up doing well in sales for some company down the road.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

On the one hand, yeah he should be paying his way. On the other hand, the poor fucker is named "Tron." Cut him some slack.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
"what mark will you leave on the world? what will be your Tron Legacy?"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

I'm kinda torn on this one. He's not doing nothing - he's got something going. It doesn't sound like something that has a clear career path, but making him take random gen-ed and business classes at the local CC doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than keep him busy and checking a box. Charging a below-market Kid Rent and putting it aside maybe without telling him, so you can bust it out when his life does come into a bit more focus) is a good idea. He seems like the kind of guy who ends up doing well in sales for some company down the road.

He gave Tron three options:
stay and keep selling shoes & partying, but pay rent
go to college and pay discounted rent (plus you get it back when you graduate)
move out, the world is your oyster

This seems very fair!

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why is it almost always baking?

if this was /r/restaurants his monumentally lovely decision making would be identical to a bad relationship

also the restaurant didn't ruin his life, he did (everyone here knows this i know)

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Impressed that Tron turned it around and made it through school. More impressed at

TheScott2K posted:

"what mark will you leave on the world? what will be your Tron Legacy?"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I mean I don't have any illusions that I'd be able to open a successful restaurant, but what kind of idiot decides to close a restaurant for a week for no loving reason??!

Never seen it in the US, but I've come across signs on restaurants overseas along the lines of "closed for vacation all August". But I'm assuming these are older, established places, not some guy who hasn't turned a profit yet.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Fitzy Fitz posted:

He gave Tron three options:
stay and keep selling shoes & partying, but pay rent
go to college and pay discounted rent (plus you get it back when you graduate)
move out, the world is your oyster

This seems very fair!

:agreed: He didn't leave the kid without any options, just ones he & his poss-poor mom don't want to accept. If neither of them like the idea of rent, they could always go with a fourth option - move out together & share a place if they don't want to help with the OP's expenses while living with him.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

My [28M] boyfriend slept with his best friend LITERALLY RIGHT after he broke up with me [26F]. Did I make a mistake by getting back with him?

quote:

My boyfriend and I were in a 3 year serious long term relationship, bought a house bought and got pets. We were ready for the long haul. However, last year I found out that he'd had strong feelings for his best friend when they went travelling, that apparently went away when we got together. We were already going through a rough patch, I'll admit mostly due to arguments started by me being really moody and overly sensitive. He'd told me it was like walking on eggshells once a month and a dealbreaker for him unless I made efforts to heal this part of myself. Finding out about his feelings towards his best friend make me even more insecure and we had many fights about it with him saying it was a non-issue and no feelings remained. I really put in the effort to work on my emotional issues and put this all behind me, and thought we were good.

Then, out of nowhere, he breaks up with me. Confused, I question him but he's a stone wall. I can't help myself but go through his Facebook messages and find out he'd slept with his best friend LITERALLY HALF AN HOUR AFTER HE BREAKS UP WITH ME. This absolutely devastated me. What followed were long months of trying to sell the house and separate.

The house didn't sell, and because of all our mutual assets, we had to keep in touch. Eventually we sort of just got back together. I still love him deeply and want to be with him, but he didn't just sleep with his best friend once. They slept together like rabbits for a few weeks after the first time and he even asked to date her. She said no, and I get the feeling he sometimes still thinks about her.

All our friends think I'm stupid for getting back with him. And a part of me agrees, but I can't help but still love him so much and despite this, I don't want to be with anyone else. Am I being stupid? Am I just a second choice because she said no? I'm pulling my hair out here even though our relationship feels stronger now...I'm beyond traumatised and insecure. I can't even be friends with some of our mutual friends anymore because they remind me of his best friend.

TL;DR - Boyfriend sleeps with best friend that he had feelings for RIGHT AFTER he breaks up with me. Am I dumb for getting back with him?

[EDIT] Okay, I plucked up the courage and just asked him if he still thinks of his ex-best friend. Mind you, it's been a year since this incident. He confessed he had a sex dream about her recently, which made him curious about her again, but promises that's 100% gone now. I'm pretty numb from hearing this tbh, now I don't know what to think. HELP REDDIT

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Never seen it in the US, but I've come across signs on restaurants overseas along the lines of "closed for vacation all August". But I'm assuming these are older, established places, not some guy who hasn't turned a profit yet.

Also, in some countries/areas it's tradition for basically everyone to go on vacation in August. Don't live in a tourist spot, nobody's going to be around to go to your restaurant, no reason to have it open.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Fitzy Fitz posted:

1.5k - 2k a month is a real thing. The kid is pretty young, plenty of time to try and see if that takes him anywhere. There's people going to college right now for business who will never do as good as that kid is making now.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In touristy places plenty of restaurants get away with shutting down for a month or three in the off-season, but there's a big difference between doing that and randomly knocking off for a week in a busy metro area.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Uncle Enzo posted:

1.5k - 2k a month is a real thing. The kid is pretty young, plenty of time to try and see if that takes him anywhere. There's people going to college right now for business who will never do as good as that kid is making now.

Maybe one day he can be this guy

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/08/26/a-finance-guy-amasses-sneaker-capital

quote:

He was dressed like any other sixty-one-year-old businessman, in a dark suit and a striped tie, but on his feet he wore a spotless pair of “varsity blue/varsity red” Sacai x Nike LDWaffle trainers, which featured double Swooshes, two tongues, and midsoles that jutted out the back like little cliffs. He had bought them the day before, for seven hundred and fifty dollars, at the SoHo sneaker store Stadium Goods.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Uncle Enzo posted:

Yeah that's a fine income for his age! He just needs to pay rent or move out, because he's currently living in his mom's boyfriend's house.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The kind of idiot who buys a condemned dive bar full of rat poo poo because it still has the old appliances in it, and then is informed by the cleaning crew he hired that the appliances are all destroyed and need to be replaced

The kind of idiot who discovers three months in that he's not making a profit because he's charging far below market rate for his food

The kind of idiot who doesn't know how his own air conditioner works and that it's going to cost him $4,000 a year because it pumps cold municipal water

The kind of idiot who had to volunteer in his friend's restaurant to make the token 3 months of restaurant experience required to get a liquor license

It's just another case where the guy did zero research, made no plans, jumped at the first thing that was available every time, and didn't seem aware that all the problems he was having were things that other restauranteurs have figured out how to address.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Ya, happens all the time during public holiday season in europe, often for several weeks or up to a month. Closing shop and taking a longer vacation during the slowest business period of the year probably costs you a few potential customers, but it kind of evens out if you're gonna be operating at a loss anyway- you might as well save yourself some operational costs and give people their due time off

years ago I worked with a sushi place that had mostly Japanese chefs, and it closed for a month+ every year so that the employees could go back home for a bit. This joint was massively popular, which probably made everything a lot easier

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's another good article I read a while back from some guy who started a meal delivery startup in Toronto, which also went bankrupt, and he struggled tremendously because he had to learn things like "it's not legal to sell food prepared in your home, you have to have a commercial kitchen" and "restaurants don't have the chef rent a car and go to the grocery store three times a week, they arrange deals with food suppliers" on the job

Just amazingly clueless people

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Oh man did this one make my eye twitch...

Partner [26M] broke things off as I'm sexist [26M] for desiring a long term partner with a lower "body count"

quote:

So.... there are points from her perspective for sure. After the painful end of my engagement (6.5 years) I went on a mad spree of sleeping around. It was shallow, selfish, I felt cheap and I struggled mentally with what I was doing. I've had over 30 partners now and she has had only 5. I told her that I appreciate that about her and she called it out as me being a sexist hypocrite..

Shes a feminist through and through and sees this as me imposing my misogynistic views on women to stop them doing what they want. The thing is, I would never stop someone doing this or shame someone for doing it. It's just my personal preference for a wife that she is a classy / elegant woman and I simply don't consider sleeping around to be either of those things.

We'd only been together for 3 months and without patting myself on the back too much, I had been an absolute gentleman and pulled out all the stops to show her that I'm not just some player and I take commitment seriously. My view on this subject has had 0 impact on either of us because its entirely non-applicable to the relationship. I liked that she hasnt slept around, she doesnt want to sleep around, yet I'm "taking away her rights" by wanting this..

What do I do?

I can't lie about it, I need to be true to myself, I'm more traditional in my views, separating sex from emotion is incredibly difficult for me and during my phase I relied heavily on alcohol and viagra.

Do i simply have to figure out a way for this to not phase me?

TL:DR does wanting a long term partner that hasn't slept with a lot of people make me sexist if I myself have a fairly high number?

He's just being true to himself guys. You can't blame someone for being true to themselves!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Of all the almost universally horrible advice that everyone under 40 has been bombarded with all their lives, 'be yourself' might be the most insidiously terrible.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Bramble posted:

Partner [26M] broke things off as I'm sexist [26M] for desiring a long term partner with a lower "body count"

He's just being true to himself guys. You can't blame someone for being true to themselves!

Be true to yourself, unless the self to whom you would be true is a lovely rear end in a top hat. In that case, please try out 'fake it til you make it' with respect to being a non lovely person.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

quote:

We'd only been together for 3 months and without patting myself on the back too much, I had been an absolute gentleman and pulled out all the stops to show her that I'm not just some player and I take commitment seriously

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The Bramble posted:

I’m not sexist, I just say that women with fewer partners are classier and more elegant

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

The Bramble posted:

Y'know, complaining that your gf sucked off 5 dudes doesn't pack the same punch as 37

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

DemoneeHo posted:

Y'know, complaining that your gf sucked off 5 dudes doesn't pack the same punch as 37

She's "one of the good ones"

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I worked at a mom and pop that did this. They even took their employees on a cruise with them one year. In America.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

"restaurants don't have the chef rent a car and go to the grocery store three times a week, they arrange deals with food suppliers"

:lol: holy poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sagebrush posted:

There's another good article I read a while back from some guy who started a meal delivery startup in Toronto, which also went bankrupt, and he struggled tremendously because he had to learn things like "it's not legal to sell food prepared in your home, you have to have a commercial kitchen" and "restaurants don't have the chef rent a car and go to the grocery store three times a week, they arrange deals with food suppliers" on the job

Just amazingly clueless people

Doobies Door Dash

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Sagebrush posted:

The kind of idiot who had to volunteer in his friend's restaurant to make the token 3 months of restaurant experience required to get a liquor license

... and then just put in "a few leisurely hours chopping veg and prepping salad dressings", instead of asking questions about running a restaurant. Or, apparently, even noticing how hard everyone around him must have been working.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DandyLion posted:

It's just kind of droll how upset some people get over jazz.

No one likes jazz with a rusty trombone

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

"restaurants don't have the chef rent a car and go to the grocery store three times a week, they arrange deals with food suppliers" on the job

This is something you could learn by watching Ratatouille lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Last week of August too. End of Summer vacations, start of a new college year when folks are looking for places to hang out with new friends and finding their "best place in town like oh my God you guys", it's going to depend on the area but I'm a bit surprised that would be a slow season.