Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

pentyne posted:

Every over the hill boomer wants their dream of their big successful restaurant where everyone falls over themselves to compliment them on the food and decor.

This is a perennial favorite over in BFC's Bad With Money thread, but it might be a new link here.
"A Restaurant Ruined My Life" should be required reading for anyone opening a first food business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Whenever people say things like "Any attempt to start a communication with him about this is met with defensiveness." I'd really love to be a fly on the wall because there are many defensive people in denial who will avoid any negative thoughts and any discussion around them and there are also many people whose attempts to start a communication consist of asking pointed loaded questions to which the only reasonable responses are full acquiescence or defensiveness, because even if the person on the receiving end is receptive to a real conversation the person asking isn't.

And sometimes people are defensive because they're being attacked.

That isn't germane to any particular topic, I just like saying that out loud.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I want to know more about Dr. Donut's husband who somehow had an existential crisis over the idea that people would think of him as a dad first and a neurologist second. He sounds like he would make his children call him Dr. Dad.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for bailing on a wedding the day before when I was a groomsman?

I rekindled a friendship with my cousin (Joe). He had a fiancé (Mary). We haven't spoken since we were kids. Our parents don't talk. My parents now like them, and we all spent a lot of time together.

​His wedding was in 6 months. A few months before, he asked me to be a groomsman I happily accepted.

​My wife was pregnant. Everyone was just as ecstatic as we were. We had an amazing gender reveal party and baby shower. Both events Joe "couldn't make it". Mary did attend. The only people she knew were my 3 bother's girlfriends, and I saw them chatting a few times

​A month later, I was with my brothers and their gals. One of the ladies said something bad about Mary and stood up for her. In response, to my astonishment, Mary hated me, passionately. They were reluctant to give details. Turns out that Mary did not like my wife, my Mother, and me. The comments were vile, and it mortified me.

​Conversations with Mary included

Implied illegal business practices of my Mom
My wife is an ugly c-word dumber than a bag of rocks
I am the rear end in a top hat of the century
My wife and I should have had an abortion because she felt we are completely incapable of raising a child. We should have killed it now rather than killing it later. This was said at my child's baby shower.
Cherry on top: they heard the same things from Joe

I don't want to mention some of the things that were said. I can't bring myself to type it. I was beside myself. In defense of my wife, she has a master’s degree. And my mother, they don't know a single detail about her work life.

​By now all the wedding formalities have taken place. My tux, wife's dress, hotel, dog sitter, time off work, everything. The wedding was in five days.

​I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. I went to dinner with them but kept a watchful eye on their behavior. Before appetizers, Mary is manipulating my mom into buying her a lavish wedding gift. It hit me there.

​It’s important to the story that I mention my parents, who adored them as I did, invited them on one of our family vacations all expenses paid. My parents fly private.

​The next day I sat my parents and wife down and explained. Their jaws were on the floor. We all decided we will not attend the wedding.

​My mom rebooked a business trip she had to miss. I canceled everything, tried to send my tux back but ended up losing a couple hundred on it. Whatever. The thought of even looking at their faces made me sick to my stomach.

​I ghosted him until the day of the rehearsal. They were freaking out that I wasn't responding. "Sorry, can't make it" is all I said and the last thing I have ever said to them. I had to turn my phone off from all calls and texts from them and extended family. I got several "You ruined the wedding" ones.

​I have blocked them and don't intend to ever speak to them again. I've been at a crossroads whether this was the right thing to do. AITA?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for bailing on a wedding the day before when I was a groomsman?

Yeah NTA. Sounds like they just wanted to use y’all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yond Cassius posted:

This is a perennial favorite over in BFC's Bad With Money thread, but it might be a new link here.
"A Restaurant Ruined My Life" should be required reading for anyone opening a first food business.

I wonder how many "spoiled millennials expect their dreams handed to them" social media posts that future failed chef lady has made in the last 10 years. I'd be shocked if it was less then double digits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Karen's Katering Kompany

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Only the freshest white dough

E:

Baked daily

No mixed grains

Xik fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 23, 2019

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pentyne posted:

I wonder how many "spoiled millennials expect their dreams handed to them" social media posts that future failed chef lady has made in the last 10 years. I'd be shocked if it was less then double digits.

It's funny that he had money to throw away on an idiot dream. He started out with some $300k I think and ended up with nothing. Most millennials start at nothing and stop dreaming.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Taima posted:

When you've spent so much time and money working towards a specific goal/profession, and then realize it's not what you want, your brain kind of panics.

Before you know it you've concocted an elaborate fantasy that your true life's calling is professional baking because you like making muffins and brownies for people.

She could probably do with some therapy before she makes any rash decisions.

It really doesn't help that it's one of those impossible stories that pop culture has hammered into us since birth, like going to college being a requirement for automatic success, that you can work your way up from the mail room, and making a public show of personal success will cause the romantic partner of your dreams to fall into your lap with no real effort. (And yes, most of these are contradictory)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dude spent 3,000 dollars because he didnt even google search how to setup an LLC. The worst part is the partners he had made out good since it seems the restaurant is still operating, so he wasnt just deadweight, he was actively harmful to his business.

Just like he was to his family

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Barudak posted:

(...) so he wasnt just deadweight, he was actively harmful to his business.

Just like he was to his family

This could easily be the sub-header for /r/relationships.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Maybe. It's hard to tell through the internet, and even harder to gauge through the eyes of a second person describing one set of actions. Maybe he just really hates that job and wants to milk it until he gets fired, maybe something has happened at work that make him want to avoid it, maybe he really is just lazy and irresponsible, maybe he has depression or maybe some other mental issues, maybe there's something physically wrong and those small illnesses take a larger toll than she can see, maybe...

There's no indication of whether he was like this before, no indication of how it affects the rest of his life besides not doing the household chores which maybe he was never doing anyway. She says "I should add that he does not work a stressful job, at all. He does not struggle with depression or anxiety" which means either we accept that she has good perception of the situation, in which case it must be something else, or she doesn't in which case a lot of what she describes is filtered through her own judgement of severity.

Whenever people say things like "Any attempt to start a communication with him about this is met with defensiveness." I'd really love to be a fly on the wall because there are many defensive people in denial who will avoid any negative thoughts and any discussion around them and there are also many people whose attempts to start a communication consist of asking pointed loaded questions to which the only reasonable responses are full acquiescence or defensiveness, because even if the person on the receiving end is receptive to a real conversation the person asking isn't.

she's the rear end in a top hat. she worked all those shifts while sick and probably infected all her coworkers. gently caress that poo poo, stay home if you're sick. rest and play video games or whatever, then you'll recover faster and save everyone money and the headache of you running around in a huff sneezing and coughing on everything trying to meet some standard of "work ethic" you've built up in your head.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

God Hole posted:

she's the rear end in a top hat. she worked all those shifts while sick and probably infected all her coworkers. gently caress that poo poo, stay home if you're sick. rest and play video games or whatever, then you'll recover faster and save everyone money and the headache of you running around in a huff sneezing and coughing on everything trying to meet some standard of "work ethic" you've built up in your head.

I think you missed the part where she said she couldn’t afford to miss work.

I agree with your point but not everyone has the sick time.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

God Hole posted:

100% wrong. She straight up says this:

quote:

In fact, i had to work because we couldn't afford to lose the income if I had stayed home as well.
It’s not “work ethic”, it’s “I would like to pay rent this month”. Having been there, I can assure you that every time you get sick, you have to make the mental calculation of whether you’re really ‘sick enough’ to be worth the cost.

There are no legal requirements to offer paid sick leave in the US, so the vast majority of shift work places don’t.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for not wanting my sister to date a guy over his disgusting fetish?

quote:

My family and friends have found out that My sister is dating a guy who has a scat fetish. My brother unfortunately found out when he walked in on them after he went home early. He literally saw him poo poo on top of her. Apparently After having sex a few times he would ask my sister to poo poo on him or have him poop on her. She said she felt uncomfortable and doesn’t enjoy it but does it because it turns him on. I told my sister that’s loving disgusting degenerate behavior that needs to stop and he needs to get phyciologic help and I’d be ashamed to be family in law with someone as degenerate as him. Many people in my family agree and refuse to speak with him while others say I need to mind my own business and leave them alone and stop discriminating against him by “kink shaming” him. Most of the family is unanimous in that she shouldn’t date him and we’ve all almost agreed that we wouldn’t attend a wedding or have communication with him for this degenerate behavior. Only my aunt and a couple cousins are ok with him. He’s too scared or embarrassed to visit us after we found out. Many people in me and my family’s friend groups are loving pissed at us and are saying we’re being unevesaarily mean and we need to be tolerant of all sexual lifestyles from being gay to different fetishes. They said not accepting this is as bad as not being tolerant of gays which I think is bullshit. My best friend is lesbian and she’s on my side on this.

I’ve suggested he seeks mental health, this is a clear sign of some sort of mental health issues and if not then he’s a loving sick degenerate. All advice on the subject is welcome but I want to make sure me and my family aren’t the assholes.

Am I wrong in this situation and what can I do to improve

Edit it was not done in the bedroom it was in the parents living room!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

NTA

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pinecone Sample posted:

It's just kind of droll how upset some people get over jazz.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When booking birthday clowns its important to remember that the Scatman John who died is the one who sang.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That restaurant article is really interesting.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Pinecone Sample posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkUP8hXa-Rg&t=68s

Check out the choirmaster doing the robot and the row of dwarves with the horns

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Why is it almost always baking?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

MagusofStars posted:

100% wrong. She straight up says this:

It’s not “work ethic”, it’s “I would like to pay rent this month”. Having been there, I can assure you that every time you get sick, you have to make the mental calculation of whether you’re really ‘sick enough’ to be worth the cost.

There are no legal requirements to offer paid sick leave in the US, so the vast majority of shift work places don’t.

drat, I missed that. I stand corrected.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

pentyne posted:

Every over the hill boomer wants their dream of their big successful restaurant where everyone falls over themselves to compliment them on the food and decor.

This is more "the art of being a pastry 'master' is my calling" but no less delusional.

It's not just old people, working in a bakery is the B-plot in Tuca and Bertie also. I think it's also women?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a woman fantasy since being a head chef is a men's fantasy.

Its not only stupid but gender reductive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why is it almost always baking?

Because for a variety of highly socialized reasons but it something that no one's allowed to get mad at you for doing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pick posted:

Because for a variety of highly socialized reasons but it something that no one's allowed to get mad at you for doing.

Unless it’s vegan and terrible then all bets are off.

I’ve only had vegan baked goods that were either really good or just fuckin terrible. Like there was no middle ground there.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pinecone Sample posted:

I (46F) really want to make a drastic career change. My husband (48M) seems reluctant to talk about it.

eh if she wants to take some time off to go back to school to learn something she loves then it could work out. shouldn't go anywhere near trying to do it for profit though, just take a long sabbatical and go back to being a surgeon

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DandyLion posted:

It's just kind of droll how upset some people get over jazz.

skibby de poop pow skaaa

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
TBH most grocery store bakeries will take fuckin anyone in off the street and, yeah, you don't get to pursue your ~creative vision~ but as long as the manager doesn't get complaints no one will give a poo poo what you do as long as you move product.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MagusofStars posted:

There are some municipalities that require it, but nothing at the state level. San Francisco requires 1 hour sick leave per 30 hours worked.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oregon requires it at state level.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Pick posted:

That restaurant article is really interesting.

I read it every time I get the idea in my head that maybe I should quit my job and open a coffee shop.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

TBH most grocery store bakeries will take fuckin anyone in off the street and, yeah, you don't get to pursue your ~creative vision~ but as long as the manager doesn't get complaints no one will give a poo poo what you do as long as you move product.

Do you know how much a Costco cake decorator makes? It’s nothing to sneeze at.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Dazerbeams posted:

Do you know how much a Costco cake decorator makes? It’s nothing to sneeze at.

I do not know how much a Costco cake decorator makes, though I have heard rumors from far-off lands that it's nothing to sneeze at.

I was thinking more, like. . . Price Chopper. Market Basket is supposed to be just a decent job all around, I've heard.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Barudak posted:

Karen's Katering Kompany

A perfect excuse for a re-watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uPOGxUtZvk

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

TRUMP!

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

God Hole posted:

I take it you're not American?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Straight White Shark posted:

Is Crossfit ruining my marriage?

Oh no, Crossfit isn't a cult. Not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you can tell how many goons live alone by how often “stay home if you’re even a little bit sniffly” gets repeated. people are going to work sick because they don’t want to risk the health of their loved ones