Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well, at least you got that big ole dick

:grin:

poo poo that's the worst snipe! 190 is the amount of beers that would kill me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

StarkingBarfish posted:

He already said he has no one to share it with.

I know a guy with a bottle of wasps, pm me

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I know a guy with a bottle of wasps, pm me

This is why I love goon meets (meats)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

StarkingBarfish posted:

As an aspiring professor (lol) I find that hard to believe. I know exactly how much of my funding comes from the EU. It's well over 50%
Yeah given how much sweat goes into those applications and how important they are you can hardly not know who's paying for your research unless you just sit in your office "secretly" drinking whisky out of a tea cup and letting your post-docs do all the work (any resemblance of this extremely specific scenario to UKIP supporting professors living or dead is purely coincidental, I swear).

Borrovan posted:

Interview went alright, I think. Teaching demo went as planned, interview itself was alright, successfully pulled off a full day of polite chit-chat with only a few overtly left-wing rants when appropriate. gently caress day long interviews though, seriously.
Good luck, interviews suck but on the upside if you're successful you get to spend 8 hours a day of your limited time on Earth at work.

In further academia and job news, I hopefully have a job! I've been told I'm the preferred candidate but my strange and foreign British qualifications still need to a Norwegian stamp of approval before they can send me the contract. I really hope it works out out cos I had to turn down another offer for it that wasn't as nice but would at least have given me a few months secure employment over the winter.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

congratulations on the possible escape from this vile shithole

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

employment.jpg

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

OwlFancier posted:

employment.jpg

I too enjoy cutting employee hours to increase owner profits.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cerv posted:

if the by-election has already been held before the general election is called, the seat’s still contested again. even if Johnson announced it on that same Thursday for a laugh.

That's pretty much what happened to Nicol Stephen. He was elected as MP for Kincardine and Deeside in November 1991, then a General Election was called at the start of March. It's not quite on the level of Henry Compton, who came to office in a by-election held the day after the government collapsed and lost his seat in the ensuing GE without ever entering the House, but I think the region is cursed; Kincardineshire has had no less than three MPs who served less than five months.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

njsykora posted:

I too enjoy cutting employee hours to increase owner profits.

Guess which company asked me this as part of the pre-screening.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

marktheando posted:

This assumes there's a non-shithole place to escape to in TYOOL 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Guess which company asked me this as part of the pre-screening.

Rather wide field but I'm going to go with Centrica? The one interview with them I had was the worst professional experience of my life.

e: Looking at their wiki page made me remember this delightful episode:

quote:

Centrica entered the political arena in February 2014, by threatening an investment strike in response to the Labour Party's proposal for a price freeze. Caroline Flint, the shadow energy secretary, said: "It is not acceptable for companies to threaten that the lights will go out because they don't want greater transparency, competition and accountability".

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 23, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Co-Op lol.

I'm not even sure that was the worst question on the questionnaire but it had about half a dozen varieties of "DON'T YOU loving LOVE PROFIT AND WORKER EXPLOITATION???"

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

big scary monsters posted:

I hopefully have a job!
:woop: Congrats mate. (hopefully) happy for you

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

employment.jpg

I too enjoy working environments where I have to bring my own toilet paper

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

StarkingBarfish posted:

As an aspiring professor (lol) I find that hard to believe. I know exactly how much of my funding comes from the EU. It's well over 50%

It might be a little suspect, especially as I think I read it in a guardian article, but on the other hand it really appeals to my biases so I accepted it uncritically.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The terrifying soul stare really sells it to me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

marktheando posted:

Pochoclo posted:

This assumes there's a non-shithole place to escape to in TYOOL 2019
Well, I left the UK for the Netherlands a few years back and then ended up in Norway a year later. Obviously being unemployed/underemployed isn't a great thing to be anywhere, but I'd rather have done it here than back in the UK. I've mostly been working sketchy zero-hours stuff and I've been poor but able to get by alright. In the UK I'm pretty sure the same work wouldn't have paid my rent. Got onto the local JSA equivalent a couple months back and the money isn't a lot, but it covers the bills and it's a matter of filling out an online form once a fortnight and logging your job searching activity rather than going to an office weekly to be told you're worthless.

Borrovan posted:

:woop: Congrats mate. (hopefully) happy for you
Thank you! And yeah, genuinely best of luck with the one you're going for, hope it's the last application you need for a long while. It's such a huge stress and if I never have to submit another application through some terrible online recruitment system it'll still be too soon.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

answer correctly or be devoured by human resources

i always found human resources to be a deeply loving sinister way of wording it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spoiler I did not manage to make it past the pre screening :v:

I probably should have been more enthusiastic about my worker loving ideas. They did send me a nice email listing possible improvements to my personality however!

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 23, 2019

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So, interesting question.

Now that Trump is officially, unequivocally, by his own words, an antisemite, does this mean that Boris Johnson is one too? After all, he's pushing extremely hard for closer links and trade deals with a country who's president, fundamentally, believes that all American Jews are not actually American, but rather Israelis? Why would Boris Johnson willingly associate himself and our country with that kind of thinking and logic, unless he himself is tacitly agreeing with it?

(Of course, the trash press in this country will not pick this up, but will mention that Jeremy corbyn went to Seder with the wrong type of british jew, and hence is clearly the next hitler.)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I probably should have been more enthusiastic about my worker loving ideas. They did send me a nice email listing possible improvements to my personality however!

oh my loving god

"your answers suggest you're not that enthusiastic about being a slave to capitalism, try being more enthusiastic about being a slave to capitalism"

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Oh boy, I just had to fill this type of stuff in as well, can't wait to be told I need to improve my interpersonal skills because I labelled competent and confident as my best traits instead of enthusiastic and companionable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why do I feel less than highly enegised by an environment that focuses on making profits.

What would help me to enjoy working in this kind of environment?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

OwlFancier posted:

Why do I feel less than highly enegised by an environment that focuses on making profits.

What would help me to enjoy working in this kind of environment?

Lol I've got an interview coming up at a fintech company and I am strapping myself in for some bullshit.

Ninja E: Also mentally bracing myself for explaining why I said findom instead of fintech.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

oh my loving god

"your answers suggest you're not that enthusiastic about being a slave to capitalism, try being more enthusiastic about being a slave to capitalism"

The best bit is he's actually past half-way on the scale to loving the gently caress out of profits, but it's just not good enough, he's not quite there yet

E: I would be energised about working in a place that makes profits but only if it was me getting the profits

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Trump is actually the most effective left-wing leader ever, having successfully turned the USA into a command economy overnight:

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164914960046133249

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164914963766546435

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

E: I would be energised about working in a place that makes profits but only if it was me getting the profits

Exactly, like, how the gently caress am I supposed to be energised about profits, I don't see any of them!

Also the leadership question. Apparently I'm supposed to be consistently trying to take charge all the time. Which would make sense if I was applying to be a loving manager, but I was applying as a shelf stacker.

I have worked as a shelf stacker for six years and you do not get points for trying to tell your manager what to do!

Following a hierarchy is "inconsistent"

I'm not entirely sure that this thing isn't a loving recruiting tool or something. Like I mean a recruiting tool for anarchists.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 23, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Trump: "I will be responding to China’s Tariffs this afternoon."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If you aren't extracting your own and your co-workers blood to sell for the company, you need to think and love the company more.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Trump: "I will be responding to China’s Tariffs this afternoon."

This is why some of us take off everything under the waist in the loo - wide power stance to achieve maximum stability for power-making GBS threads scenarios

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1164900590532661248

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's some epsom salt right there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

answer correctly or be devoured by human resources

i always found human resources to be a deeply loving sinister way of wording it

It's because a "resource" is something to be used up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Exactly, like, how the gently caress am I supposed to be energised about profits, I don't see any of them!
Does the North East co-op not split profits among workers?

Also loving hell if the co-op is like that imagine what the other supermarkets are like :suicide:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm going to give the Co-Op some grace and say that might be a generic pre-screening quiz used by a lot of companies. Mostly because I want to continue liking the Co-Op.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it probably is but someone there had to sign off on it and they're using it to pick the people who work there lol.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it probably is but someone there had to sign off on it and they're using it to pick the people who work there lol.

So basically everyone workign at the coop passed that test and so is an idiot or a liar

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

So basically everyone workign at the coop passed that test and so is an idiot or a liar

Knowing how to lie to these screening tests is like half of getting a job, especially in retail. No human ever actually looks at the answers, it just decides if it'll put you in the interview pile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've applied to a fair few retail outlets and they all use some kind of personality screening and "here's some situations, how would you react" automated test, but I've never done one that was that nakedly "how much do you love capitalism? 1. yes 2. extremely"

The other issue is that if you actually work retail as I mentioned, the "correct" answer for the test you know is wrong, so you have to deliberately answer what the idiot HR lot think is the right answer despite it being an answer that would fail you at the interview phase.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kassad posted:

Trump is actually the most effective left-wing leader ever, having successfully turned the USA into a command economy overnight:

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164914960046133249

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164914963766546435
Holy poo poo he really thinks he can just order the country to do what he wants over twitter, doesn't he?

Also, in Piers loving Morgan news:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1164859308942778368?s=19