Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1165003520363225088

Cards against Humility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

I think that struck a little too close to home for B G.

I'd be careful around this guy and leave him alone. He really does have mental health issues, at first I thought he was a paid shill, but upon closer inspection he really is suffering from some serious problems.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Sarsapariller posted:

It would but they literally have made zero progress on any chapter of SQ42 in the last 4 months. Hard to re-build it if it never left the whitebox stage in the first place.

When has CI(G) ever really done something in whitebox first? I'd bet that they're refactoring assets and mocaps and things like that, maybe for consoles.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Vandals? I thought they were Vanduuls!

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Bushmaori posted:

Thousand dollar Kool aid, hundreds dead

It was Flavor Ade, but if you drink it Chris promises to take you aboard his new space ship

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

monkeytek posted:

I think that struck a little too close to home for B G.

I'd be careful around this guy and leave him alone. He really does have mental health issues, at first I thought he was a paid shill, but upon closer inspection he really is suffering from some serious problems.

On the other hand maybe you're doing something malicious.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah a lot of Citizens are of the opinion they should stop the roadmaps, and they're probably right. It just highlights their lack of progress.

I hope they don't, of course.

Nah they can't do that, or they can't boast about being the most open development project ever...

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Yet according to the funding tracker CIG makes money literally every hour and this year is on track to be the best year of funding yet.

They look like they are about to eat that poor kid.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 24, 2019

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Holy crap, the SBS brigade on MMORPG are claiming that the "bugs" and "errors" in the game are actually tied only to certain accounts. According to them most are experiencing no issues at all. Is it too soon for Baghdad Bob yet?

via Imgflip Meme Generator

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 24, 2019

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!

Nice, but won't PCIe-4.0 be long EOL'd by the time SQ42 enters Pre-Beta?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

monkeytek posted:

Holy crap, the SBS brigade on MMORPG are claiming that the "bugs" and "errors" in the game are actually tied only to certain accounts. According to them most are experiencing no issues at all. Is it too soon for Baghdad Bob yet?

It's true. Specifically they are tied to all non-developer accounts

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

colonelwest posted:

They look like they are about to eat that poor kid.

:five:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Did the AMD letter ever come out?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The kid in the middle was probably a newborn when SC was Kickstarted. And he will be adult by the time beta is anywhere near to announcement.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDd60_zJAcU

He's not wrong, those X4 ships are drat massive - what's the game like now, worth getting yet?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
THAT SPACE SHIP ISN'T REALISTIC!

MY SPACE SHIP IS REALISTIC!

:downs:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDd60_zJAcU

He's not wrong, those X4 ships are drat massive - what's the game like now, worth getting yet?

Coincidentally, the whole point of SC's much-anticipated “object containers”, mega-maps, and localised physics grids is that they, too, section off the world into instances bound together through smoke and mirrors.

The only difference is that Egosoft can make their tech work, whereas CIG cannot.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Wait what now...

Both the Javelin and Idris on for this quarter?

:allears:

The roadmap would not lie. They'll be flying around SQ42 in no time...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Star Citizen: they're making ok process on ships

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

You know DICE recently announced that they’re scrapping a planned 5v5 gamemode for Battlefield V (that no one asked for anyway) due to...reasons.

While it’s obviously bad press to have to acknowledge that a feature will be scrapped from a game, I find it somewhat mature of them as well. At least they can swallow their pride and say “gently caress it, let’s re-think this”.

Has CiG ever officially scrapped any of their ideas or “features”? I kind of imagine them going the Trump route of never backing down and never accept an obvious failure.

Does the two seater spacecraft that somehow became a one seater count?

Is Bluegobln trying to censor the subreddit or something?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Pixelate posted:

Star Citizen: they're making ok process on ships

Every one of these pricks is treating CIG's word as if it's good, when CIG has given the world 8 years to know it isn't, and Chris Roberts has dedicated his life to making sure you can't believe a word he says. Beyond belief.

It doesn't matter what the "roadmap" says. It doesn't matter what "CIG" says. Nothing whatsoever that this company is showing you matters one bit. CIG is not a game development company. You are being robbed.

Why is it that stupid people's stolen money never goes toward something good, even by accident? Why can't a scammed nerd's cash fund leukemia research or something? Could it be because the Fraud in Chief and his live-in strangler are inept, amoral garbage?

Keep pledging, fuckers.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 24, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I love how visionary genius game developer Chris Roberts, who is making the world’s first AAAA PC-exclusive game, struggles to describe the components of a typical high end gaming PC. He starts by saying it has 2x “2080TXs” which isn’t a real GPU and then just gives up and says “uhh... uhm... it’s really fast.”

Truly a man who deserves 250 million dollars to make the ultimate space sim.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 24, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

colonelwest posted:

I love how visionary genius game developer Chris Roberts, who is making the world’s first AAAA game, struggles to describe the components of a typical high end gaming PC. He starts by saying it has 2x “2080TXs” which isn’t a real GPU and then just gives up and says “uhh... uhm... it’s really fast.”

It's rude to imply that Chris Roberts is ignorant of technology - after all, he assured us years and years ago that there were already servers at CIG running a full MMO universe background simulation complete with NPC completing missions, bounty hunting, and engaging in the crafting and manufacturing economy and dynamically responding to supply and demand in real time.

A sexy bear posted:

We actually have a full universe simulation that runs on separate servers, responsible for deciding which planets are trading, which organization is doing what, which factories are doing well, who’s selling what, who needs what kind of goods. It’s populating the universe with the various people going about their jobs, whether it’s a pirate, trader, bounty hunter, law enforcer — they’re all running around in this universe simulation, and then we use that simulation to drive the content that people interact with when they’re flying around in the universe.

Note he didn't say they were "going to have" it - he was clear they "have" it. Since none of those things exist even today, years later, nor are there plans for those things, nor even the beginning of an idea for how any of it will work, that is proof that Chris is honest and good.

Edit: I especially like the phrase "separate servers." Another one of those vague, meaningless throwaway terms that allow backers to run as far as they want with the ball. What, exactly, constitutes "separate servers?" Separate from what? If you have more than one server, you have separate servers, even if they're clustered. Does he mean dedicated servers? Is there an advantage to having dedicated servers calculating those things, if other servers need all that data conveyed to them anyway? How is that advantage leveraged? How does this architecture offer an advantage, and how did you leverage that advantage to maximum effect? Never mind all that - to Chris Roberts, saying "separate servers" makes him feel smart and important and visionary. "Not to worry - we have separate servers handle that." The only thing Chris knows how to separate is idiots from their cash. They're "separate" because they're not there. That way if someone points out "none of this exists" they can counter with "oh, that's on separate servers."

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 24, 2019

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Blue Goblin will 100% shoot up a place as soon as this finally collapses.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Regrettable posted:

Blue Goblin will 100% shoot up a place as soon as this finally collapses.

Would it be tasteless to put up a betting pool about which backers will commit atrocities after the collapse? Is that going too far? I think maybe it's going too far, but I kind of want to do it anyway.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

yes

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nyast posted:

Nah they can't do that, or they can't boast about being the most open development project ever...

Considering they were not the most open development project ever before, I don't see how that would stop them from boasting that they are in the future even if they do remove these rather vague roadmaps.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

colonelwest posted:

I love how visionary genius game developer Chris Roberts, who is making the world’s first AAAA PC-exclusive game, struggles to describe the components of a typical high end gaming PC. He starts by saying it has 2x “2080TXs” which isn’t a real GPU and then just gives up and says “uhh... uhm... it’s really fast.”

this thing opens up and it's like, twoo... ...280 uh tx's :downs:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

It's rude to imply that Chris Roberts is ignorant of technology - after all, he assured us years and years ago that there were already servers at CIG running a full MMO universe background simulation complete with NPC completing missions, bounty hunting, and engaging in the crafting and manufacturing economy and dynamically responding to supply and demand in real time.

Note he didn't say they were "going to have" it - he was clear they "have" it. Since none of those things exist even today, years later, nor are there plans for those things, nor even the beginning of an idea for how any of it will work, that is proof that Chris is honest and good.

Edit: I especially like the phrase "separate servers." Another one of those vague, meaningless throwaway terms that allow backers to run as far as they want with the ball. What, exactly, constitutes "separate servers?" Separate from what? If you have more than one server, you have separate servers, even if they're clustered. Does he mean dedicated servers? Is there an advantage to having dedicated servers calculating those things, if other servers need all that data conveyed to them anyway? How is that advantage leveraged? How does this architecture offer an advantage, and how did you leverage that advantage to maximum effect? Never mind all that - to Chris Roberts, saying "separate servers" makes him feel smart and important and visionary. "Not to worry - we have separate servers handle that." The only thing Chris knows how to separate is idiots from their cash. They're "separate" because they're not there. That way if someone points out "none of this exists" they can counter with "oh, that's on separate servers."
That old statement about them already having a fully simulated universe simulation running, including economy and all that other stuff, is just gold. It is so laughable to think that they would have any of this when they can't even make a demo for Squadron 42 that isn't trash :D

Speaking of laughable, that Kazan is at it again in one of the more critical threads this month. He stated that Star Citizen's bugs are entirely normal and that it's less buggy in alpha than a lot of Frostbite 3 releases and the last 20 years of Bethesda published games.
I'm not sure where he gets these ideas from, but he certainly seems too insecure to ever admit error.
I wonder if he was an Anthem fan, considering this gem:

That Kazan posted:

... you don't know what you're talking about. Whereas I'm literally debugging a device driver right now.
What kind of person even says something like that?!? :psyduck:

I'm still curious as to whether or not he will come up with an actual answer after being told that the Anthem shutdown errors were not exclusively a PS4 issue.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhC2WztwG8A

"Inside Star Citizen was a JOKE - Why is CIG not informing us properly?" more salt

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bofast posted:

That old statement about them already having a fully simulated universe simulation running, including economy and all that other stuff, is just gold. It is so laughable to think that they would have any of this when they can't even make a demo for Squadron 42 that isn't trash :D

Speaking of laughable, that Kazan is at it again in one of the more critical threads this month. He stated that Star Citizen's bugs are entirely normal and that it's less buggy in alpha than a lot of Frostbite 3 releases and the last 20 years of Bethesda published games.
I'm not sure where he gets these ideas from, but he certainly seems too insecure to ever admit error.
I wonder if he was an Anthem fan, considering this gem:

What kind of person even says something like that?!? :psyduck:

I'm still curious as to whether or not he will come up with an actual answer after being told that the Anthem shutdown errors were not exclusively a PS4 issue.

His little quote has some interesting implications (like a single bed) if you take it at face value. Setting aside the unnecessary use of the word "literally," consider his claim to be "debugging a device driver."

I imagine the following possibilities, in increasing order of likelihood:

- Did he write it? If so then he hosed up and QA sent it back. Or he hosed up and caught it in unit testing. Either way, he hosed up, but is still not dedicated enough to do his loving job without posting in gaming forums.
- Is he QA? Then it's not his job to "debug" poo poo and he's exaggerating his position and its responsibilities.
- Is he at home hacking away at code because he thinks he's smart enough to figure out why the audio hiccups while he's playing Honey Select? Then he's intentionally misrepresenting his passive hobby as a responsibility, although I'm impressed with his ability to "debug drivers" and type on game forums with only one free hand.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A great article that is becoming increasingly relevant:
On "Cooling The Mark"

The Article posted:

Sometimes, however, a mark is not quite prepared to accept his loss as a gain in experience and to say
and do nothing about his venture. He may feel moved to [p. 452] complain to the police or to chase after
the operators. In the terminology of the trade, the mark may squawk, beef, or come through. From the
operators' point of view, this kind of behavior is bad for business. It gives the members of the mob a bad
reputation with such police as have not. yet been fixed and with marks who have not yet been taken. In
order to avoid this adverse publicity, an additional phase is sometimes added at the end of the play. It is
called cooling the mark out After the blowoff has occurred, one of the operators stays with the mark and
makes an effort to keep the anger of the mark within manageable and sensible proportions. The operator
stays behind his team‑mates in the capacity of what might be called a cooler and exercises upon the
mark the art of consolation. An attempt is made to define the situation for the mark in a way that makes it
easy for him to accept the inevitable and quietly go home. The mark is given instruction in the philosophy
of taking a loss.

When we call to mind the image of a mark who has just been separated from his money, we sometimes
attempt to account for the greatness of his anger by the greatness of his financial loss. This is a narrow
view. In many cases, especially in America, the mark's image of himself is built up on the belief that he is
a pretty shrewd person when it comes to making deals and that he is not the sort of person who is taken
in by any- thing. The mark’s readiness to participate in a sure thing is based on more than avarice; it is
based on a feeling that he will now be able to prove to himself that he is the sort of person who can "turn
a‑fast buck." For many, this capacity for high finance comes near to being a sign of masculinity and a test
of fulfilling the male role.

It is well known that persons protect themselves with all kinds of rationalizations when they have a buried
image of themselves which the facts of their status do not support. A person may tell himself many things:
that he has not been given a fair chance; that he is not really interested in becoming something else; that
the time for showing his mettle has not yet come; that the usual means of realizing his desires are
personally or morally distasteful, or require too much dull effort. By means of such defenses, a person
saves himself from committing a cardinal social sin‑the sin of defining oneself in terms of a status while
lacking the qualifications which an incumbent of that status is supposed to possess.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TL:DR; Lando is a cooler

The Article posted:

In all personal‑service organizations customers or clients sometimes make complaints. A customer may
feel that he has been given service in a way that is un- acceptable to him ‑‑ a way that he inter-prets as
an offense to the conception he has of who and what he is. The manage-ment, therefore has the problem
of cooling the mark out. Frequently this function is allotted to specialists within the organiza-tion. In
restaurants of some size, for example, one of the crucial functions of the hostess is to pacify customers
whose self--conceptions have been injured by wait-resses or by the food. In large stores the complaint
department and the floorwalker perform a similar function.

One may note that a service organization does not operate in an anonymous world, as does a con mob,
and is therefore strongly obliged to make some effort to cool the mark out. An institution, after all, cannot
take it on the lam; it must pacify its marks.

One may also note that coolers in service organizations tend to view their own activity in a light that
softens the harsher details of the situation. The cooler protects himself from feelings of guilt by arguing
that the customer is not really in need of the service he expected to receive, that bad service is not really
deprivational, and that beefs and complaints are a sign of bile, not a sign of injury. In a similar way, the
con man protects himself from remorseful images of bankrupt marks by arguing that the mark is a fool
and not a full‑fledged person, possessing an inclination towards illegal gain but not the decency to admit
it or the capacity to succeed at it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Psychological reactions to being cooled

The Article posted:

...one must take note of what is implied by the fact that it is possible for a person to be cooled
out. Difficult as this may be, persons regularly define themselves in terms of a set of attributes and then
have to accept the fact that they do not possess them ‑‑ and do this about‑face with relatively little fuss
or trouble for the operators. This implies that there is a norm in our society persuading persons to keep
their chins up and make the best of it ‑‑ a sort of social sanitation enjoining torn and tattered persons to
keep themselves packaged up. More important still, the capacity of a person to sustain these profound
embarrassments implies a certain looseness and lack of interpenetration in the organization of his several
life‑activities. A man ‑may fail in his job, yet go on succeeding with his wife. His wife may ask him for a
divorce, or refuse to grant him one, and yet he may push his way onto the same streetcar at the usual
time on the way to the same job. He may know that he is shortly going to have to leave the status of the
living, but still march with the other prisoners, or eat breakfast with his family at their usual time and from
behind his usual paper. He may be conned of his life's savings an eastbound train but return to his home
town and succeed in acting as if nothing of interest had happened.

Lack of rigid integration of a person's social roles allows for compensation; he can seek comfort in one
role for injuries incurred in others. There are always cases, of course, in which the mark cannot sustain
the injury to his ego and cannot act like a "good scout." On these occasions the shattering experience in
one area of social life may spread out to all the sectors of his activity. He may define away the barriers
between his several social roles and become a source of difficulty in all of them. In such cases the play is
the mark's entire social life, and the operators, really, are the society. In an increasing number of these
cases, the mark is given psychological guidance by professionals of some kind. The psychotherapist is, in
this sense, the society's cooler. His job is to pacify and reorient the disorganized person; his job is to send
the patient back to an old world or a new one; and to send him back in a condition in which he can no
longer cause trouble to others or can no longer make a fuss. In short, if one takes the society, and not the
person as the unit, the psychotherapist has the basic task of cooling the mark out.

But where do goons fit in?

Oh, there we are:

The Article posted:

Finally, there are barbarous ceremonies in our society, such as criminal trials and the drumming‑out ritual
employed in court‑martial procedures, that are expressly designed to prevent the mark from saving his
face. And even in those cases where the cooler makes an effort to make things easier for the person he
is getting rid of, we often find that there are bystanders who have no such scruples.[6] Onlookers who are
close enough to observe the blowoff but who are not obliged to assist in the dirty work often enjoy the
scene, taking pleasure in the discomfiture of the cooler and in the destruction of the mark. What is trouble
for some is Schadenfreude for others.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

TL:DR; Lando is a cooler

That article is fascinating.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/1164869335623634944

FTR why waste your time blocking this pudgy piece of poo poo.

I mean seriously this guy lives in a dream world if he thinks that whatever he says or does means anything at all

https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/1164518348320858113

Like loving LMAO

Amazing Zimmo fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

His little quote has some interesting implications (like a single bed) if you take it at face value. Setting aside the unnecessary use of the word "literally," consider his claim to be "debugging a device driver."

I imagine the following possibilities, in increasing order of likelihood:

- Did he write it? If so then he hosed up and QA sent it back. Or he hosed up and caught it in unit testing. Either way, he hosed up, but is still not dedicated enough to do his loving job without posting in gaming forums.
- Is he QA? Then it's not his job to "debug" poo poo and he's exaggerating his position and its responsibilities.
- Is he at home hacking away at code because he thinks he's smart enough to figure out why the audio hiccups while he's playing Honey Select? Then he's intentionally misrepresenting his passive hobby as a responsibility, although I'm impressed with his ability to "debug drivers" and type on game forums with only one free hand.

I think someone claimed earlier in the thread that Kazan had bragged about being a test engineer or similar, but I don't recall the details.