Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Lol so Dawn Foster has left The Guardian, according to this tweet it's because Peter Walker, Graun political correspondent, didn't know who Simon Hedges was (a parody account) and Dawn Foster made a joke at his expense because of it:

https://twitter.com/Lokinash06/status/1165028127460012033?s=20

E:

This is the post:

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1162357480355241985?s=20

Peter Walker has been losing his poo poo for the past week or so about 'Fake News' etc. because somebody made an obvious parody post about Chuka Umunna and put his name on it.

EE:

Snipe.
https://twitter.com/AwwwwCats/status/1164158902705016833?s=20

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pochoclo posted:

Wow. I mean, it's a charity drive so I kinda feel bad saying this, but this guy is really bad at reading Shakespeare

Sure it wasn't a guest? Olly's a professional actor and stuff, he's done Shakespeare on stage, not just amateurly but for real money.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Ms Adequate posted:

Sure it wasn't a guest? Olly's a professional actor and stuff, he's done Shakespeare on stage, not just amateurly but for real money.

I have no idea, this guy

He might be a good actor on stage but he's not good at reading it out, but again, it's charity so good on him

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 23, 2019

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Guess who quit a few days ago: https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/jobs.cgi?jcode=1645613

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I just booked a hotel in a different city where I was going for an interview, and it turns out the offer is only available for students, which I only found out when they emailed me asking for a student ID. Like yeah it's hidden in small print in the T&C but gently caress me. So now I'm probably out of 140 quid just because.

I did email them asking for a refund but I expect to be told to gently caress off to be honest.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

WhatEvil posted:

Lol so Dawn Foster has left The Guardian, according to this tweet it's because Peter Walker, Graun political correspondent, didn't know who Simon Hedges was (a parody account) and Dawn Foster made a joke at his expense because of it:

https://twitter.com/Lokinash06/status/1165028127460012033?s=20

E:

This is the post:

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1162357480355241985?s=20

Peter Walker has been losing his poo poo for the past week or so about 'Fake News' etc. because somebody made an obvious parody post about Chuka Umunna and put his name on it.

I mean that does suck but on the other hand she’s definitely better than that arse rag of a newspaper

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

the Home Office leads on immigration and passports, drugs and crime policy, counter-extremism and counter-terrorism and works to ensure visible, responsive and accountable policing in the UK.

I always feel dodgy applying for jobs that openly lie in the description, how do I know it isn't a scam?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I always feel dodgy applying for jobs that openly lie in the description, how do I know it isn't a scam?

It doesn't say they work very hard at it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It doesn't say who it's accountable to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh, I can definitely do that.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Private Speech posted:

I just booked a hotel in a different city where I was going for an interview, and it turns out the offer is only available for students, which I only found out when they emailed me asking for a student ID. Like yeah it's hidden in small print in the T&C but gently caress me. So now I'm probably out of 140 quid just because.

I did email them asking for a refund but I expect to be told to gently caress off to be honest.
I seem to remember that the distance selling regulations are repealed, and that hotels are specifically excluded from them anyway, but they probably don't know that: the distance selling regulations provide that a consumer is entitled to cancel any online contract for any reason within 14 days, and that it's a crime for them to not inform you of that right.

Or something. I'd look it up for you but I've been up for 20 hours now & am not feeling too good about it. Here's (e) a the wrong thing (link removed)

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 24, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you just made the reservation and ask nicely they might let you cancel it tbh, it won't make a functional difference to them if they're not fully booked and they don't usually want to annoy people cos they get bad reviews.

Plus a lot of hotel goers are utter dickheads so just acting like a normal human being can get you a long way lol.

Also try lying and say it's due to a family issue and you want to reschedule it once you know what's happening.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 24, 2019

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Borrovan posted:

I seem to remember that the distance selling regulations are repealed, and that hotels are specifically excluded from them anyway, but they probably don't know that: the distance selling regulations provide that a consumer is entitled to cancel any online contract for any reason within 14 days, and that it's a crime for them to not inform you of that right.

Or something. I'd look it up for you but I've been up for 20 hours now & am not feeling too good about it. Here's (e) a the wrong thing (link removed)

Unfortunately accommodation booked for a specific day is excluded from that.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Borrovan posted:

Actually that only mentions package holidays as specifically excluded! Not that it really matters, but thanks for the link. I'll try to mention it in a call tomorrow.

It's still pretty drat annoying thing they do there, I bet they get this a lot though unfortunately.

Ahh okay that was the wrong link. Anyway nevermind, but maybe they'll give me a refund if I complain enough. Not holding much hope though.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Incy posted:

Unfortunately accommodation booked for a specific day is excluded from that.
Yeh that's what I said

Just have to hope they don't check

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say from knowing hotel clerks that I probably wouldn't open with the legal threats cos it does not engender cooperation.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I would say from knowing hotel clerks that I probably wouldn't open with the legal threats cos it does not engender cooperation.

Oh I sent them a polite email already, I'll see what they'll reply with tomorrow. More of a last resort thing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Also that's still £4.2k a year even if your family eats clearance chinese every meal forever, on top of rent, electricity/water/etc, clothing, transport, and I'm not even factoring in vacations and entertainment because as we all know the lazy poor don't deserve distractions from their miserable existence

Wow. I mean, it's a charity drive so I kinda feel bad saying this, but this guy is really bad at reading Shakespeare

I know poo poo all about theatre, but I really hate it when people go all overblown and melodramatic with Shakespeare. As a complete novice you can go and see any performance of his stuff, and you can instantly feel how much better it all sounds when delivered casually and nonchalantly. Yeah, it can be complicated words, but it's not complicated to the characters, it should just drop off the tongue. Which actually improves the complication!

Take the intro to R&J for example. It's two (probably) drunken lads duelling with wordplay. You can't deliver that poo poo with dramatic portent without sounding like a raving lunatic. You've got to do it with casual detachment. It's just bants after all. Just bants.

I've only seen clips of the BBCs King Lear, and Anthony Hopkins seems far too much on the dramatic powerful side. The best delivery comes from his daughters and Emma Thompson, the intricacy of the language dissapears and you get raw and natural performances.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Teesside Tempest when?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Private Speech posted:

I've been caught with that - not for students prices but for 'price available for country's nationals only' and it's not clear at all when booking. Sometimes I don't find out til I get to pay after the stay and now and then when they see how long I've been in the relevant country (one I lived in albeit on touristic visa only), they gave me the 'nationals' price anyway.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I know poo poo all about theatre, but I really hate it when people go all overblown and melodramatic with Shakespeare. As a complete novice you can go and see any performance of his stuff, and you can instantly feel how much better it all sounds when delivered casually and nonchalantly. Yeah, it can be complicated words, but it's not complicated to the characters, it should just drop off the tongue. Which actually improves the complication!

Take the intro to R&J for example. It's two (probably) drunken lads duelling with wordplay. You can't deliver that poo poo with dramatic portent without sounding like a raving lunatic. You've got to do it with casual detachment. It's just bants after all. Just bants.

I've only seen clips of the BBCs King Lear, and Anthony Hopkins seems far too much on the dramatic powerful side. The best delivery comes from his daughters and Emma Thompson, the intricacy of the language dissapears and you get raw and natural performances.

I really enjoyed Andrew Scott's Hamlet on the Beeb from a couple years ago, he's real good at making it seem like the thoughts are just occurring to him (i.e. acting)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I really enjoyed Andrew Scott's Hamlet on the Beeb from a couple years ago, he's real good at making it seem like the thoughts are just occurring to him (i.e. acting)

Ooh that's a great way to sum it up. Olly sounds a bit too gabbly, like he's trying to get the words out as fast as he can.

Which,well, its a charity stream.

I'm having a poo poo time right now goons. Was talking to my mates about the Deer Hunter, and my mum always made fun of my dad about it. They went to see it when they were first dating, she loved it be he was properly traumatised. Like, white as a sheet and needing a sit down after. I've never seen it, and now I've forever missed my chance to wind him up.

I know that's a trivial thing, but that's how my family roll. We were always close, but in a very casual way. Never talked about our feelings cos we never needed to. And these small moments loving suck. When I think "this is fun, I must tell dad" and I loving can't.

And my PhD wasn't in a good place even before he was taken ill, and has proceeded to crash and burn all this year. Thinking of jacking it in and joining the NHS scientist scheme instead, which seems right up my street. But Christ I'm tired of always running when things get tough, I'm tired of running from things. This PhD was the first time in almost a decade I've had something to run towardsand I feel I've buggered it all up.

That's my putting rant for the day

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When my grandmother was alive I found her hard to talk to because she was obsessed with me, largely because she was obsessed with my father as well before he died, but I still occasionally wish I could tell her about things, or ask her thoughts on something.

That's sort of how life works, people are hard to talk to, there's always something that gets in the way, then when they die nothing is in the way any more but they aren't there either.

Your university should have some measures in place for extenuating circumstances re: your studies, though whether they are harsher at PhD level I don't know. Either way it might be worth speaking with your academic advisor or equivalent to consider at least a break, perhaps, if you think it would help you put your head straight.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

David Tennant was good as Hamlet because of this, the Yorick speech in particular is great because it just comes across as a dude explaining to Horatio 'Holy poo poo I knew this skull!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On14CIYwpyE

Now compare that to a slightly more... Thespian, grandstanding reading:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBpGgB1NTYg

Hamlet suffers from being the play that is most often used to demonstrate how bad a character is at acting or how overblown and melodramatic Shakespeare is in stereotype, so people seem to be left with this mental image of a splay-legged old man wailing "OOOHHH, TO BEEE OR NOT TO BEEE..."

Unfortunately it is also the play that bad actors often use to try and prove that they are good actors. And then there's this mess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEs8rK5Cqt8

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I don’t like hammy thespians either and frankly the thees and thous can go gently caress themselves, I meant more that the stream guy was rushing through things, not pacing, not really setting the tone, etc etc

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

tbf he does have nearly 40 of the buggers to get through, can't blame him for wanting a bit of pep :v:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

David Tennant was good as Hamlet because of this, the Yorick speech in particular is great because it just comes across as a dude explaining to Horatio 'Holy poo poo I knew this skull!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On14CIYwpyE

drat this really is good :staredog:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh you wouldn't like yorkshire then :v:

Thee/thou/thy is actually weird in that grammatically it's more precise than the you/your which replaced it. There are occasions where you might want to use it because modern english doesn't let you be that precise.

Also why "y'alls" should be a part of standard english because there is presently no actual standard equivalent.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is this not one of the all time great newspaper headlines?

https://twitter.com/nytpolitics/status/1165036329106849794

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Thee/thou/thy is actually weird in that grammatically it's more precise than the you/your which replaced it. There are occasions where you might want to use it because modern english doesn't let you be that precise.

Also why "y'alls" should be a part of standard english because there is presently no actual standard equivalent.

And you can say "y'all'dn't've" :v:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hamlet suffers from being the play that is most often used to demonstrate how bad a character is at acting or how overblown and melodramatic Shakespeare is in stereotype, so people seem to be left with this mental image of a splay-legged old man wailing "OOOHHH, TO BEEE OR NOT TO BEEE..."

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769468&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post457843684

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ Oh my god I unironically love that

Ms Adequate posted:

drat this really is good :staredog:
He plays mad Hamlet incredibly well, and Patrick Stewart is great as Claudius, pretty understated but powerful. You genuinely feel sorry for Ophelia as well by the end. They also do some very nice stuff visually and prop wise to accentuate the meaning - it's a very easy Hamlet to follow and makes it very clear what's going on and why, in a way I've never really seen before.

I'm not 100% on Tennant's version of the soliloqy (Cumberbatch did a great one) but overall B++ would Hamlet again.

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4fF3rqWqQ

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 24, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also while we're on the subject of Hamlet, please enjoy Teenage Dirtbag Hamlet and this:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also while we're on the subject of Hamlet, please enjoy Teenage Dirtbag Hamlet and this:

Those are awesome.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

It says something about us as a nation that given the choice between retaining the formal (you) and informal (thou) versions of the same word, we decided to drop the informal one and just talk to everyone like we’re meeting them for the first time and need to be carefully polite.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Hamlet is loving terrible. It starts with Hamlet having suspicions his uncle murdered his dad and ends with him confronting his uncle about that. With four hours in between. There’s a few good bits in that yawning eon, but not many. I remember looking forward to Ophelia dying because it was something that would happen and I knew about it from that famous painting. Then she dies off stage. The entire play-within-a-play is just self-indulgent wank.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm quite partial to Withnail's Hamlet :v:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm quite partial to Withnail's Hamlet :v:

I went to see Withnail and I at Uncle Monty's cottage a few months ago. Had a little cry at Withnail's Hamlet. I was on a particularly emotional combo of boozes at the time, but it usually gets me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Comrade Fakename posted:

Hamlet is loving terrible. It starts with Hamlet having suspicions his uncle murdered his dad and ends with him confronting his uncle about that. With four hours in between. There’s a few good bits in that yawning eon, but not many. I remember looking forward to Ophelia dying because it was something that would happen and I knew about it from that famous painting. Then she dies off stage. The entire play-within-a-play is just self-indulgent wank.

The typical ordering, and fame, of Shakey's works are pretty out of tune compared to my own opinions, Yeah Hamlet has some bangin' soliloquies but what's really the good poo poo is The Tempest and Titus Andronicus. Not that those are exactly unknown or anything (we're not talking about Timon of Athens here lol) but they don't get up there with the Dane and the Scot.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I will always love Macbeth, mostly because of the Humphrey Carpenter version in Shakespeare Without The Boring Bits where he turns him into a hard-boiled private eye.

It does go without saying that Shakespeare's pretty darn great, though. The dude's grasp of story structure was much better than the reductive three-act structure taught by many writing classes, and he pretty much invented the complex, human villain (even if the more Marlowian, moustache-twirling, monologuing scenery chewers have been more influential on popular culture).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I remember when I was younger (either 16 or 18, because it was while I was out of school 'studying' for GCSEs or A-Levels) either BBC2 or Channel 4 showed a different version of Hamlet each day for a week.
I'm reasonably sure I watched the Olivier one, and then the Mel Gibson one but they definitely showed others, too.

(The Mel Gibson one at least gets unintended bonus points for now being dissed in a lovely Gruff Rhys song.)