Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Vintersorg posted:

Please god kill me.

So Tony's has the name of their restaurant on the inside of the door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

i havent seen the movie but i like the awkwardness of the poster a lot

The dialogue gets into awkward territory a little, in a fun way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2tGz4wDaQM

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

duz posted:

So Tony's has the name of their restaurant on the inside of the door?

It's on of the doors where the top and bottom separate, so the bottom can stay closed, but the top can swing out and act as signage.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

flashy_mcflash posted:

The dialogue gets into awkward territory a little, in a fun way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2tGz4wDaQM

nice, thats one of those trailers i stop before they tell me too much

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Vintersorg posted:

Please god kill me.

You gotta hand it to them, they perfectly captured that look dogs have when made to sit for a photo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

muscles like this! posted:

They must have offered Bill Hader a giant sack of money seeing as he doesn't need to do this poo poo anymore.

it's Disney, i'm pretty sure at this point "giant sack of money" is their standard lead actor fee

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was also filmed in 2017 and was supposed to come out last November before they decided to put it on a shelf for nearly two years that February specifically for Disney+.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How does something like that work if the actor's contract states they get a percentage of the box office? Meaning a film that was originally supposed to get a theatrical release now being punted to a streaming service.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How does something like that work if the actor's contract states they get a percentage of the box office? Meaning a film that was originally supposed to get a theatrical release now being punted to a streaming service.

Maybe they get a percentage of subscriptions fees from users that watch the movie?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Rupert Murdoch bought NG a few years ago and he sold it to Disney with all the Fox stuff.

...I tried to forget Rupert Murdoch buying NatGeo. :smith:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jedit posted:

Mr Spiky Hair is standing several feet behind the girl front and centre, but his eyepiece is in front of her shoulder.

Maybe it telescopes out.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Good think Kylo was holding his sword back like that or he might have poked Rey when he tripped.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This trilogy is such a loving mess

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's some sinister-rear end Lukeface going on there.

Pretty terrible teaser apart from the colors.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's Palpatine.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I see both Luke and Palpatine, I think it's supposed to be ambiguous maybe?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why does he look like clone wars Palpatine?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

This trilogy is such a loving mess

I think it would have been pretty cool if JJ Abrams had actually had the barest of outlines for the whole trilogy when he made Episode 7. Oh well. Better luck next trilogy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

That's Palpatine.
Oh you're right!

gently caress they're fighting on a pylon of the old Death Star II aren't they?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TFA and TLJ are decent movies on their own, but they absolutely do not work together, and RoS is probably gonna walk back a lot of TLJ because it made nerds mad so it'll be more disjointed. Say what you will about the prequels, they knew what they wanted to do.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why does he look like clone wars Palpatine?

Seriously lmao

Smooth as silk

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

Say what you will about the prequels, they knew what they wanted to do.
True.
Seems like the PT had a clear story intent but the execution sucked. New Trilogy has decent execution but doesn't know what it's saying.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It's like a not-good version of The Empire Strikes Back poster.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you'd shown me that in a different context I'd think it was a mediocre fan poster.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

If you'd shown me that in a different context I'd think it was a mediocre fan poster.

Right.

It looks like a similar CG style to the clone wars or something to me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's something about Skywalker being in the title that bugs me. Almost as if it's too obvious about being Star Wars maybe? Like I know Star Wars titles are no stranger to using proper names/titles specific to Star Wars like Sith or Jedi or Force but for some reason it's different when it's Skywalker.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Rise of Skywalker is just dumb because TLJ spent great lengths to say "Chosen One stories don't work past their Call to Action and the hero can gently caress up and perpetuate more harm by buying into that B.S."

So unless we get a whole Grey Jedi/Living Force order founded by Rey called Skywalkers...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

It looks like a poster for a videogame where they couldn't get all the likeness rights so the boxart has a CG-rendered close-enough face but it's the late 90s so their CG stuff isn't very good yet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ian's 75 years old; I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to CGI his face instead of using prosthetics.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lobok posted:

There's something about Skywalker being in the title that bugs me. Almost as if it's too obvious about being Star Wars maybe? Like I know Star Wars titles are no stranger to using proper names/titles specific to Star Wars like Sith or Jedi or Force but for some reason it's different when it's Skywalker.

Actually I think I figured it out. It's not that I dislike the Skywalker name being part of a title but how the lovely and overused to the point of ridicule "Rise of ___" phrase cheapens the whole thing so that Skywalker ends up sounding so much more generic than it is.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The previous movies already hosed up the naming conventions, so it's kind of weird to return to it for the third one...

(Article, Adjective, Noun) The Phantom Menace/A New Hope
(Four Word Phrase Including a Group and a Violent or forceful verb) Attack of the Clones/The Empire Strikes Back
(R word "of the" Noun) Revenge of the Sith/Return of the Jedi

The Last Jedi having the naming conventions of a first film in the cycle is kind of fun for how it remixes things though and I wonder if that was intentional.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What really struck me when looking at that official timeline Disney put up is that each movie in the original trilogy has a cool, unique logo whereas each movie in the prequel/sequel trilogy has the exact same logo with a minor variation

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Before franchise branding was a thing and after franchise branding was a thing, basically

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Local rep cinema put this up.

Now that's minimalism.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

Ian's 75 years old; I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to CGI his face instead of using prosthetics.

I imagine that just means they'd have to use less prosthetics :downsrim:

I really hope the movie's not going to walk back TLJ. Maybe it'll be a fakeout and it's not Palpatine!

....:smith:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

davidspackage posted:

I imagine that just means they'd have to use less prosthetics :downsrim:

I really hope the movie's not going to walk back TLJ. Maybe it'll be a fakeout and it's not Palpatine!

....:smith:

One theory is that Palpatine is how they are not walking back on TLJ. Like, Rey is not the daughter of some powerful Jedi or Sith, because Palpatine created her like he did Anakin. And anytime someone like Kylo acts seemingly the opposite of they did in TLJ, it's because Palpatine is mind controlling them.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I for one miss the focused auteurs vision of the original trilogy, the series of movies that were all directed and written by different people and co-produced by Fox.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lobok posted:

Actually I think I figured it out. It's not that I dislike the Skywalker name being part of a title but how the lovely and overused to the point of ridicule "Rise of ___" phrase cheapens the whole thing so that Skywalker ends up sounding so much more generic than it is.

I don't think the phrase "Rise of" is the problem, it's that loving Skywalker had been rising for 7 movies now and only by the 8th was there a promise that we were finally done with it. In a just world, the word Skywalker would never be uttered in this last movie .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FilthyImp posted:

Oh you're right!

gently caress they're fighting on a pylon of the old Death Star II aren't they?

The idea goes back to TFA if you read the rather neat concept art book - they've been wanting to revisit the wreck of the Death Star II since the beginning. In the original concept for TFA, the heroes found the location of Starkiller Base by going to Endor and diving to the sunken wreck of the Death Star to recover the planet's location from the Emperor's spire.