Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

AARP LARPer posted:

GMT news. New WWII China coin and an expansion to Fire in the Lake put on P500

I have a bad feeling about China COIN but then COIN is not very good at cube vs cube and Mark Herman decided to make an expansion that's all about cube vs cube.

Also Warlords as a seperate faction in China during the war is a bit off, but eh, people seem to love COIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I just want a cooler name than "China's War" but :w00t: all the same

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I just want a cooler name than "China's War" but :w00t: all the same

It might happen. Remember Gallic War?

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

God I am so ready for "ridiculous full campaign but even longer" with the FITL expansion. Just hook it to my veins.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

52 cards for a five-campaign game with twelve cards per campaign seems stingy, unless they're actual playing cards, which also seems weird.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I have a 1st printing of FiTL, that shouldnt affect anything with the expansion... right?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Two of my gaming buddies are suddenly hyped for a GMT game... and it's loving Mystery Wizard! I'm nonplussed. Like, even if you're into that sort of game, those graphics look like utter poo poo.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The gameplay seems like some miserable game from the 70s, unless I'm completely missing something. I guess the Cosmic Encounter crowd globbed onto it?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Volko has been pushing it pretty hard. I think the dev is a relative of his or something maybe?

And yeah he even mentions Cosmic Encounter on the p500 page. Miserable is a good word for it. It doesn't even seem to do the Root thing of being a lite wargame in disguise. Its weird is what it is.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I have a 1st printing of FiTL, that shouldnt affect anything with the expansion... right?

I don't think so? The 2nd edition was just some balance changes around the US airstrike action and any events that were heavily linked to that.

They also made some changes to solo flowcharts and added some extra iconography. It's possible that the lack of those icons might affect the expansion in some way, but who knows? Guess it depends on how extensive the Gandhi system they're including is.

At this point we're still not sure whether they're completely replacing the flowcharts for the entire game, or whether just some of the expansion scenarios use that new system.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sleekly posted:

Volko has been pushing it pretty hard. I think the dev is a relative of his or something maybe?

And yeah he even mentions Cosmic Encounter on the p500 page. Miserable is a good word for it. It doesn't even seem to do the Root thing of being a lite wargame in disguise. Its weird is what it is.

Yeah, it's by Volko's son. Same son that helped him develop Falling Sky. I saw it got a lot of traction, but don't know much about it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't know whether I love or hate the graphics on Mystery Wizard!?. A winged purple frog hugging and licking a giant spotted egg is not in most GMT games, I tell you what.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
every minute spent foisting this complete poo poo on me is one less minute spent on getting me the games me and 3000+ of my fellow grogs ACTUALLY WANT AND PLEDGED FOR

Russian Campaign
Mr. President

Holy gently caress three years after making the cut and full radio silence like they never existed

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Tbh there’s not a whole lot of exciting wargames on the horizon for me at the moment. The only non-expansion wargames I have on order are Imperial Struggle, Banish all their Fears and Atlantic Chase.. I’m also going to get OCS Hungarian rhapsody when it lands in europe. Maybe CSS Fulda Gap from Compass, and, eventually, OCS Third Winter will excite me.

I’m interested in BCS Panzer Last Stand but mostly just to get the extra units for Last Blitzkrieg.

Probably a good thing.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
FWIW, anyone into air games (potentially) has an expensive couple of months coming up.

Just got my charging notice for Red Storm, the 1980s/WWIII addition to the Downtown system. Presumably the new Wing Leader stuff will be close behind.

The biggest surprise is that Wings of the Motherland, the long lost Russian expansion to the Fighting Wings series is available for pre-order, at the printer and expected to ship by October. Granted I'm not really going to believe it until I see it. This game has been "almost ready" since like 2010. They're also charging a premium for it: $120 for pre-order and $150 list so idk even no anymore...

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Been getting into ACW history lately so I picked up Atlanta is Ours and holy poo poo the playbook is 96 pages. Most of it is scenarios and game/scenario specific rules but drat this is the best produced playbook I've seen. I've noticed a trend lately of playbooks getting larger and having more content and I whole heartedly support that trend.

The map is stunningly beautiful as well but I knew that going in.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Huskalator posted:

I've noticed a trend lately of playbooks getting larger and having more content and I whole heartedly support that trend.

Operation Dauntless has 167 pages spread across 4 books, only 36 of which is rules (and not even that, really). The rest is detailed and interesting design notes, history, play examples, and tons of scenarios (with strategy/tactics hints and history for most scenarios individually).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like reading design notes and historical reasons for chrome because I come into these games with little knowledge and read up about it later. I think it’s interesting when the games are sandbox-like enough but with historical constraints to give almost completely historical outcomes and decisions from people who didn’t know the details beforehand.

I’m now trying to figure out where I can lay out four maps for BTR. I’m also realizing the need for plexiglass due to the very real possibility that you’re leaning over and rip a part of the map as you’re handling some counters.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I realized why people like plexiglass now. It’s not a problem with less counter dense games but...

During setup, I placed the counters in trays so I thought might as well keep them there. The whole game can perfectly fit in Troyes. Right now I have the map and sheets in the box, but it’s very tempting just throwing it away and storing it in troyes.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 2, 2019

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Really need to pass my professional exams and get a specialty training job so I can play Smolensk.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

StashAugustine posted:

Good interview with Tom of Holland, didn't see it posted https://www.punchboardmedia.com/hom...V0uFATbe7IIq9G0

Posted in the other thread for evangalization but its a good read

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:homebrew: how much?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

tomdidiot posted:

Really need to pass my professional exams and get a specialty training job so I can play Smolensk.

Good luck. I was wondering why you weren't posting wargame stuff.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

LMAO

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Going to law school is cheaper tho

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Chill la Chill posted:

Good luck. I was wondering why you weren't posting wargame stuff.

I'm sort of going through an 18xx/card games phase as well...... I've played more OCS in the past 6 months than I had in the past 4 years.

but yeah, need to get back into OCS

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Erghh posted:

FWIW, anyone into air games (potentially) has an expensive couple of months coming up.

Just got my charging notice for Red Storm, the 1980s/WWIII addition to the Downtown system. Presumably the new Wing Leader stuff will be close behind.

The biggest surprise is that Wings of the Motherland, the long lost Russian expansion to the Fighting Wings series is available for pre-order, at the printer and expected to ship by October. Granted I'm not really going to believe it until I see it. This game has been "almost ready" since like 2010. They're also charging a premium for it: $120 for pre-order and $150 list so idk even no anymore...

Wait really ?

Ouch, $120 is a bit much. But this will be the definitive game on the topic for all time.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

mllaneza posted:

Wait really ?

Ouch, $120 is a bit much. But this will be the definitive game on the topic for all time.

I sent in a pre-order and had it confirmed so that part is real anyway. One of the threads said shipping was set for October first so there's that.

This game has been a few months away for about a decade though so guess we'll see. I really though the closest anyone would get would be the yahoo groups.

And yeah, if/when it does show up it will probs be the treatment of the topic. (For those who don't know FW games have a ton of historical discussion, aircraft briefings, sceanario and campaign commentary and such. Almost a history text unto itself). The only other thing I can think of on the subject is Sturmovik for the Air Force series back in Avalon Hills/Batteline times.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Any good playthroughs or videos of the game in action? Looks like a much deeper Wing Leaders

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Any good playthroughs or videos of the game in action? Looks like a much deeper Wing Leaders

I'm not aware of any videos and what playthroughs/AARs exist are likely sitting somewhere on either Yahoo or Consimworld. Maybe that will change once Motherland is out though. FW is a small niche and hasn't seen a major boxed release since Whistling Death came out and that was what...2005?

Anyway the core of FW is data cards and logsheets to write out what the plane is doing (flight points, throttle settings, altitude bands, bank angles etc.). A lot of AARs tend to take a narrative approach to tell what happened since everyone posting their logsheet notations a) wouldn't be that compelling and b) wouldn't make any sense to anyone not familiar. There are instructional, more technical, game plays out there but again those would be from Yahoo/CSW.

As for comparisons I'd say it's closer to Birds of Prey more than Wing Leader. Pieces represent individual aircraft and there's math involved to fly them. You can group planes up but they would still be tracked individually, bomber formations being an exception. FW does have an operational scale to handle the before and after of the dogfight part if you're so inclined. It can add a lot decision making depth but adds to the workload too.

They're also rolling out a new rules upgrade with Motherland so that will probably be a factor in how all this gets recieved too.

Right now I think people are just waiting to see if it actually emerges from the mists of time.

Oh, there was a variant of the system called Buffalo Wings published in Against the Odds Magazine that might be a more affordable/approachable option if you can find it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Importing a question from another wargaming group: what modern tactical scale war games are there, and how do/should they differ from WWII era tactics?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

Importing a question from another wargaming group: what modern tactical scale war games are there, and how do/should they differ from WWII era tactics?

Sub question: are there any modern era wargames with rules for infantry carrying a M-29 Davy Crockett Weapon System?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Played Autumn for Barbarossa this weekend. It's a fun little game. Same designer as Smolensk and it plays like a lightweight version of it. Germans have a really tough set of problems to solve each turn to try to get as far forward as they can. After stymieing my German opponent pretty successfully on Saturday, I tried a solitaire play-through Sunday and was only able to get a marginal victory, blowing up most of the German armored force doing so.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Since I'm here,

StashAugustine posted:

I guess it depends what you're considering modern and tactical. Just post-WWII stuff or something more recent? Historical or hypothetical conflicts? Is platoon level the cut-off or something bigger? Quickly thinking about it:

-- There's the MBT series about WW3 in Europe from GMT Games. It's very much focused on the technical/gearhead side of things at the squad/single vehicle level. The same designer has a WWII set called Panzer that's also on the technical side at the same scale. I keep thinking to set-up a lone Abrams vs. platoon of Panzer IVs just to see how the system handles it but someone's probably done it already.

-- Lock n' Load has a tactical series with rules for both WWII and post-WWII. It's also at the squad/single vehicle level. Some of it's historical like Vietnam and Somalia but some isn't (i.e. WW3). I haven't seen the new versions but the main difference between the old ones were accounting for equipment and technology changes. Also I think the post-WWII ones had a more severe CRT but LnL always produced a robust dead pile. Speaking of LnL they also have the World at War series about a 1980's WW3 set at the platoon level. Haven't seen the new versions of these either. The older ones were pretty fast and fun though.

-- A small publisher called Bayonet Games had the Warfighter Series at the platoon level set in hypothetical but "representative" conflicts. I think it's defunct now but some copies might still be floating around. Intended as a teaching tool it focused on the increasing range of detection, engagement and lethality of modern warfare. The game side of things were a little rough around the edges but it produced some interesting decision making dynamics.

-- Wildcard option, hunt down some games from the 1980's and 90's like the Assault series from GDW, Main Battle Area by Omega or First Battle/Last Battle series also by GDW. They're mostly about what were thought to be hypothetical conflicts of the time at tactical-ish scale. They probably haven't aged too well since they were working off of incomplete or guestimated data but they have their fans who've updated and worked on them. The Assault series in particular last I checked. They can probably be found for cheap too.

-- GMT also has the Fields of Fire solo games. The have both WWII and post-WWII in the same box. There are others in the thread who can cover these better though.

-- Don't forget to check out smaller publishers like One Small Step Games or magazine-games like Modern Warfare or Strategy & Tactics by Decision Games. They will often have niche stuff or food-for-thought bits that don't get covered by major releases.

-- Panzer Grenadier by Avalanche Press had some post-WWII titles but they got way expensive for some reason.

-- There's also miniatures rules like AK-47 Republic and the like. Not too well versed in these though. For some it's just not real until you bust out the fishing line and rulers.

f/e: If Davy Crockett exists anywhere it would either be in an 80's game :madmax: or an indie publisher game also holy poo poo that's a lot of words

Erghh fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 9, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

No, cool stuff. On that note is Fields of Fire second edition comprehensible enough to not be considered a Lovecraft game or do you still have bunkers retreating off the map?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

StashAugustine posted:

Assuming we're talking about WWIII style games, the big differences are;

ATGMs make infantry a real threat to tanks at range without AT guns

Infantry in general is much more mechanised and their transports are much better armed

Air power is much more threatening and depending on the exact game you may end up spending quite a bit of time setting up air defence networks (particularly for Soviets)

Helicopters are a thing, usually being treated as very fast but fragile special ground units

Electronic warfare may or may not be represented

In general stuff starts dying really quickly as soon as the shooting starts, though this likely depends on the exact game again

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ok someone help me I think I have fallen down a very deep rabbit hole. It began the other day when I was checking out the Value Village board game section. Normally its a bunch of crap, but occasionally you find a real gem. That fateful day I found the gem of gems, Star Trek Battles Volume 3 :haw:

I'm not usually one for hex war-games, but Star Fleet Battles scratched an itch I didn't know I had. I always loved the Star Trek Technical Manuals, and reading through these rule books really gave me the same feeling. But all I had was "Volume 3", and that was the second expansion to the game. I didn't have a playable game! I looked to the internet, and lucky for me the company responsible for Star Fleet Battles still exists and publishes books. They have also put most of their material up on Drive-through RPG so I bought "Volume 1&2" to complete my collection:

I put everything into a big binder. I also scanned my copy of Volume 3 and printed an extra to put into the binder (so its all together as one big rule book and I don't have to fish out the old box for reference). Its about 300 pages total, easily the biggest rule book of any game I own. And that's almost 95% text, the illustration in these book is spare. But once I had this monstrosity assembled I became a bit intimidated. So to teach myself the game I decided to buy and print a copy of the Cadet Training Handbook. This book has a great set of tutorials and solo missions that have been teaching me the game. The solo missions are great, as no one I talk to has had even 1% interest in playing this with me:

But of course the set I bought only came with so many counters, so I am forced to make my own out of cereal boxes :v: I also got one of those big roll out Hex maps from the local game store:

But these scenarios are pretty basic, and they don't say much about advanced tactics. In fact these books are mostly rules. Star Fleet Battles seems (to me at least) to be a fairly dead game, and I can not find a very active community to teach me advanced tactics. So of course I had to buy and print a copy of the SFB: Tactics Manual. This way I can teach advanced tactics to anyone I manage to rope into playing with me!

There are a lot of other supplements and stuff for SF: Battles (and I'm sure I'll get around to buying those eventually, especially Omega Master Book :eyepop:) but looking through Task Force Games products I noticed one additional rule book that I could not live without. Federation and Empire is a strategic level 4X game that uses the units from StarFleet Battles 1:1! This means you can (and are encouraged to) use Federation and Empire as a "campaign mode" and resolve all of the battles using the rules of Starfleet Battles (instead of the included simplified battle system):

There are other books I want to get, but I think I am satiated for now. Like maybe the 450 page Omega Sector supplement with 12 additional races and more than a dozen new weapons systems. Or the ground combat system that can be used for planetary battles. This is such a cool system I can't believe I never heard of it before!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 10, 2019

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Hell I'd play it.
Did you check for Vassel stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sleekly posted:

Hell I'd play it.
Did you check for Vassel stuff?

There is a Vassel module for the cadets training module, but not the full game. If you want to play the full game on your PC you can get the wonderfully affordable SF Battle Online for only $59.95 per year
https://www.sfbonline.com/index.jsp