Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

hooah posted:

You'll have to go into the phone's settings, if imagine. Although this sounds more like a question for the general Android thread.

Other apps like whatsapp, YouTube, Netflix etc do have the navigation buttons dark, as does the keyboard while I'm typing this. It's just when I'm browsing the forums that the buttons are white.

It's not a huge deal of course, but I figured maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
No, I have that on my new phone and it has to be fixed in the code. I think it just needs android:navigationBarColor setting on the base themes in themes.xml?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I've brought that up a couple of times too since I got my S8, I think they were looking into it but didn't have a Samsung handy to test with.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Suggestion, I have no idea how complicated this would be, but it'd be neat if dark mode on Awful toggled when you toggle the system dark mode on Android Q 10

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Suggestion, I have no idea how complicated this would be, but it'd be neat if dark mode on Awful toggled when you toggle the system dark mode on Android Q 10

It's definitely possible but I have no idea how themes are currently implimented in the app and I bet supporting auto dark mode switch would end up involving a decent amount of rewriting.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah it would probably need to be its own theme and it would need to trigger changes in theming the webview, the thing that provides colours would need to handle more than one set per theme... ehhhh don't bet on it

As far as notches go... doesn't it just split the status bar with the clock and notifications? I don't think any of us have Samsungs Galaxy so we've never looked at it
Same for the nav bar at the bottom, I'll have a look at it if I can test it in the emulator or whatever though

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

baka kaba posted:

Yeah it would probably need to be its own theme and it would need to trigger changes in theming the webview, the thing that provides colours would need to handle more than one set per theme... ehhhh don't bet on it

As far as notches go... doesn't it just split the status bar with the clock and notifications? I don't think any of us have Samsungs Galaxy so we've never looked at it

I have a Pixel 3 and apps don't go into the notch area. It's just the phone's status bar(s) like you said. The bottom of the notch is the top of the Awful App.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lobok posted:

I have a Pixel 3 and apps don't go into the notch area. It's just the phone's status bar(s) like you said. The bottom of the notch is the top of the Awful App.

Same on Moto G7 Power here

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Is there any way/chance this could ever evolve to have tabs? There are times when I want to refer to another thread and it'd be awesome to not have to leave the one I'm on, and not have to resort to using a browser.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Do the samsungs have a notch issue or is it just in, like, immersive fullscreen or something

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Is there any way/chance this could ever evolve to have tabs? There are times when I want to refer to another thread and it'd be awesome to not have to leave the one I'm on, and not have to resort to using a browser.

yeaahh I wouldn't bet on that
even if the app was cleanly designed and architected, switching to managing parallel browser views (or faking it by switching out page content) would kinda complicate things a whole lot. but even small changes can take a while just because of how it's been built and evolved over the years, things are intertwined and baked in and you need to completely rebuild to add features

what's more likely (don't hold yr breath though!) is better state handling for things like where you were on a page, and maybe a "recent threads" dropdown that would let you hop to where you were in a given thread

and if this is more about replying and quoting another thread, replies don't happen in the webview anyway (it's a separate window) so you wouldn't be able to see the tabs - but hopefully at some point we'll have multiquote, and there's no reason that couldn't be used to source from multiple threads (mark the posts you want, next time you hit reply they're all added as quotes)

at the moment I'm wrangling this nightmare though

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

don't understand what is going on but it is beautiful

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

This isn't a problem or anything. I just wanted to praise the animation on the three bars that turn into an arrow and then back into the three bars in the upper-left corner as you slide the screen around, it's very nicely animated.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
trout

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I see more and more people post image links like this:
https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/A9ligXzIrh8jFkgQJbwF1qfu0KxrX2lNzA2x7xPwejc/https/i.imgur.com/QoECo6e.jpg

And they show up blank. I'm not sure how trivial it is to get them to work. e: when posted within img tags, I mean.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

dont skimp on the shrimp posted:

Been having performance issues in more or less random threads the last couple of weeks, like some of the other people on the previous page. Seems to be something with disabling gif animations stuff that really slows down scrolling on threads with a lot of smilies or animated avatars.

Enabling gif animations seems to fix the issue completely.

Yeah enabling gif animation fixed it for me

I still get random crashes while scrolling though

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I have my suspicions about that, turning animations on means smilies aren't click to play anymore, so there isn't a click listener set on them, which can apparently slow scrolling down

Why it's only a problem now and not before :shrug: that's why I feel like Chrome updated the webview and did something

Flipperwaldt posted:

And they show up blank. I'm not sure how trivial it is to get them to work. e: when posted within img tags, I mean.

quoting to see what the heck

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/A9ligXzIrh8jFkgQJbwF1qfu0KxrX2lNzA2x7xPwejc/https/i.imgur.com/QoECo6e.jpg

Shows up in the quote but not the original for me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah it looks ok to me!

We don't inline plain image links (but if you tap it you get the image menu that'll let you do that), only video ones because that's what the site does

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Yeah it looks ok to me!

We don't inline plain image links (but if you tap it you get the image menu that'll let you do that), only video ones because that's what the site does
Yeah, no, it was in timg tags in the post I copied it out of. I didn't copy those, because in case of non-embed, you wouldn't know there was anything to see there unless you quoted me.

I did all this because I don't know how to link to a single post from the app. I'm not seeing anything auto-embed in this conversation either, whether it's in a quote or not. It does embed when I tap the link and select show image inline, but that's not the problem I have.

So below I'll put the same link in timg tags and we'll see together what happens:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I see this:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

the real error is using black text on a white background

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Well, if it's just me, never mind I guess.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hrm, that is weird though. When I quoted you it didn't auto embed, I just added the img tags by hand - you can't see it there either? Honestly that sounds more like a network issue or something, like it's just not loading the pic for some reason. The URL is a real mess though... it loads ok when you do Display Inline in the link menu?

(btw you can link to a post by tapping its ... and choosing Copy URL)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Hrm, that is weird though. When I quoted you it didn't auto embed, I just added the img tags by hand - you can't see it there either? Honestly that sounds more like a network issue or something, like it's just not loading the pic for some reason. The URL is a real mess though... it loads ok when you do Display Inline in the link menu?
It all works fine on a Windows PC on the same network. Where you added the tags manually, it's not showing up in the post in the app (like, it doesn't show a link either, just an empty space like in the screenshot I posted). Whenever I have the link visible due to the "turn embedded images into links in posts that have been seen" option, I can tap it and select "display image" or "show image inline" and both then work entirely as expected -ie the image shows op.

Also found another type of image link for which the same goes:

I tossed the app out of memory, but that doesn't seem to change anything.

baka kaba posted:

(btw you can link to a post by tapping its ... and choosing Copy URL)
Oh, good, thanks.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Flipperwaldt do you by any chance have a non-default setting of "Images > Imgur thumbnails"?

There should be an error case there that would explain it, but I can't seem to trigger it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sereri posted:

Flipperwaldt do you by any chance have a non-default setting of "Images > Imgur thumbnails"?

There should be an error case there that would explain it, but I can't seem to trigger it.
It's set to 'large (640px)'. I don't know what the default is.

If you want me to toggle other things for a while, let me know.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Okay, if I disable the 'disable timgs' option under 'images', the pictures embed, but only if they are timg'd. They still don't embed when in regular img tags. :psyduck:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's set to 'large (640px)'. I don't know what the default is.

If you want me to toggle other things for a while, let me know.

default is Use original pictures (the other options are forcing full pics to be thumbnailed when they weren't posted that way)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

All works perfectly with it set to 'original pictures'!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ah, that's what I thought. Basically the code that replaces imgur images with smaller versions is vague enough that the discord image that still contains some of the original imgur url still triggers it, thereby invalidating the discord image's url. Whoops.

Not sure why it didn't happen for me though. Maybe some caching thing.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've been having odd crashes over the past week or so. No common factor, just sometimes I'm reading a page then get kicked back to my phone's home screen. Not sure what's changed or if my phone is just starting to die, no other apps are having issues.

OnePlus 3 on Android 9 (OxygenOS v9.0.5)

Edit: I have my username attached to crash reports

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, :yossame: for the crashes, randomly, two three times a day. Sometimes it doesn't even produce the 'awful has stopped' prompt.

Also, I felt bad not having thanked you guys for looking into the image thing, so thanks.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I have an odd issue with Twitter embedded video playback. The video will play, however it skips every once in a while during playback. The video will play, and then every 5 seconds or so it'll jitter and skip ahead by a quarter or half a second. Twitter video playback is fine if I load it in my phone's browser, so the issue seems specific to the Awful app. I've been noticing this for a while, but figure I'd mention it now. Awful 3.6.8 / Pixel 3a.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
The app works fine for me all the time please don't change it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please change the app so that it only breaks for forums poster "other people," thanks.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Weaponized Autism posted:

I have an odd issue with Twitter embedded video playback. The video will play, however it skips every once in a while during playback. The video will play, and then every 5 seconds or so it'll jitter and skip ahead by a quarter or half a second. Twitter video playback is fine if I load it in my phone's browser, so the issue seems specific to the Awful app. I've been noticing this for a while, but figure I'd mention it now. Awful 3.6.8 / Pixel 3a.

Same but on OP6T since I've had it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

twitter bad

I get the feeling they don't like embeds (especially video) and they really want you to click through to their site instead

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This may already be a feature I can enable and don't know how, but what I would really like is if the link on a quote didn't directly go to the quote but there was a dialog box that was like "you sure you want to navigate away from this page, jackass?" and I could be like Yes or Please No, I'm Fat Fingered

I want the ability to follow quotes back but I think i do it by accident more than on purpose and it's always really disappointing when it happens :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Bloop posted:

This may already be a feature I can enable and don't know how, but what I would really like is if the link on a quote didn't directly go to the quote but there was a dialog box that was like "you sure you want to navigate away from this page, jackass?" and I could be like Yes or Please No, I'm Fat Fingered

I want the ability to follow quotes back but I think i do it by accident more than on purpose and it's always really disappointing when it happens :smith:

Same. Or at least if you're going to take me there, show a button when I get there that will return me to where I was.