Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

A man of THIRTY-THREE is interested in a ninteen year old!?!

*various guttural snuffling and snorts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

lol, this is it, this is the hill! Today is the day!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
You all guys, you people.
You act like making GBS threads in the trunk of your car is illegal.
But get this, it ain't.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I can't even imagine having an interesting conversation with a 18 year old much less wanting to be in a committed relationship with one.

Like, you're 33, working full time, saving for retirement, are around peers your age or older, have settled and defined your life, and this 18 year old girl straight from her parents house to the college dorm is your true love?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

SilvergunSuperman posted:

you read this thread, you know people are just going to call you a pedophile over and over, it's not worth it man

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Voting Floater posted:

Oh sure, got that. What I meant was that I read this far:

and took a very sharp breath before I finished the sentence and realised you meant hypothetically.

oh, lol. yeah i guess the ordering of words is important sometimes

Pinecone Sample posted:

My post said public universities, buddy, you don't read, don't quote yours like I'm the one who needs help. We are done here.

i'm not 100% sure what the original point of the discussion was any more but the specific institution's tenure policies (which are generally consistent nationwide, but do vary in the details) are more important than the public/private distinction.

i have no data on this but i would surmise that private universities have more ethics violations than public ones because there's a lot less oversight. i am at a public institution and i have to sign a form when i want to buy an hdmi adapter affirming that the technology being requested is not exclusionary and is accessible by those with disabilities

pentyne posted:

I can't even imagine having an interesting conversation with a 18 year old much less wanting to be in a committed relationship with one.

Like, you're 33, working full time, saving for retirement, are around peers your age or older, have settled and defined your life, and this 18 year old girl straight from her parents house to the college dorm is your true love?

mhm the big takeaway from working with people that age day-in, day-out is that they are mentally much more children than adults and if you're in your 30s (or god forbid, older) you'd have to be brain-damaged to think of them as potential romantic partners

like what do you even talk about? yuck

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 24, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think people call you a pedo but kind of creepy but pedo makes you seem like a reasonable person. So I can see why you went that way

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pinecone Sample posted:

My post said public universities, buddy, you don't read, don't quote yours like I'm the one who needs help. We are done here.

So are you just, like, incapable of seeing more than one sentence of a post or what? The first amendment has all kinds of obvious exceptions, you can't sell nuclear secrets to Iran and expect to escape jail time by being like "my first amendment rights :qq:"

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not letting a couple enjoy their date because they ruined mine?

so me and my girlfriend are both HUGE Harry Potter fans. HUGE. we found a 10 hour screening that showed the first 4 movies back to back. naturally, we decided to go. the theatre was mostly empty, except for this one couple and their kid a few rows down. this kid would not stop crying for a goddamn second. i ignored them for the first hour, then made some annoyed coughs that they heard, but ignored, and finally, i went up to them and asked them if they could either calm the kid down, or leave with him. they were rather rude about it, saying they were entitled to the theatre as well, and that we should deal with it.

they were probably accustomed to the sound of a child crying, and seemed to be having a good time, but i was miserable, unable to enjoy the movies. so, i started bawling loudly as well, right until one of them shot a dirty glance at me, took the kid, and left.

on the way out, the wife told me that they'd been looking forward to this break from parenting for a long time, and that I'd ruined their day. girlfriend thinks i'm TA. i think, leave your kid at home with a sitter if you can't get them to shut up. AITA?

Edit: Kid was an infant, probably like a year old.

Edit 2: Everyone's bringing this up; theatre staff talked to the parents themselves when the movie began, but were reassured that it wouldn't be an issue. the parents simply waved them off, and they stopped bothering after, so i didn't see much sense in calling the usher again.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for being upset that my boyfriend bought a motorcycle despite knowing I have a huge fear of them?

I've (22F) been with my boyfriend (22M) for four years. A few months ago, he said something in passing about how it would be fun to have a motorcycle. I have a terrible fear of motorcycles and he almost died in an ATV accident a few years back, so I told him that the thought of him riding a motorcycle scared me to death and that I'd be consumed by debilitating worry 24/7 if he had one. He simply said, "okay", and changed the subject. Due to the facts that 1) we usually have excellent communication 2) he's never done anything major without consulting me first, and 3) he didn't seem at all serious about getting a motorcycle, I considered that the end of the discussion. He didn't mention the motorcycle again for several months.

Flash forward to two days ago. He randomly showed up at my house (which is 40 miles from his btw) on a motorcycle he'd bought the day before. Of course I freaked out and said that he should've, at the very least, told me he'd officially decided to buy one before doing it so we could talk about it. I also said that he shouldn't have bought it at all, considering how terrified I am of them. His response was "you can't control me, it's not up to you". He straight up told me that he's "aware of how bad my fear is but he won't sacrifice something he really wants just for my peace of mind".

This turned into a full blown fight that's lasted three entire days now. He's trying to make me feel bad for "controlling him" (which has never been an issue before, I don't control him at all), but I think that sometimes you need to make sacrifices for the people you love, and this should be one of them.

AITA?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for eating all the sliced cheese?

Sliced cheese is a favourite snack and breakfast food for my sister (21F) and I (20F).

Yesterday the sliced cheese that we had at home got over. I ate the last slice. When I got home in the evening my sister accused me of eating her share of the sliced cheese. Apparently for the past two weeks she hasn't been eating breakfast at home (I didn't know this because I leave the house before her every day) and so I ended up eating more than my share of the packet.

She said that for each packet we buy, half of the slices belong to her and half belong to me. I disagreed, having always seen the cheese as a replenishable good that didn't necessarily belong half to me and half to her. She said it wasn't fair to her because now that she wanted to snack on sliced cheese, she'd have to wait until our next grocery run.

Eventually I backed down and went to buy some more sliced cheese, and agreed to divide the packet into two so I'd only eat from my pile. Still feels a bit ridiculous to me though. AITA?

Edit: Thanks for all the comments guys! I agree that this is definitely one of the pettiest things to argue over. Just to clear some things up: We're both full-time students with part-time jobs and pay rent. That being said we pool resources for both shared and personal expenses. In India that's pretty common. Also, sliced cheese isn't so cheap in India. Thanks for chipping in y'all!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

so me and my girlfriend are both HUGE Harry Potter fans. HUGE.

i don't doubt it

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
22 year old buying a motorcycle definitely got absolutely hosed in the financing. So not just bad with communication, but money too.

Having worked in financing motorcycles in the past there is no way a 22 year old had decent enough credit to not get hosed over, not discounting the fact that used motorcycle places are somehow even worse than car dealerships. Mostly because people see motorcycles as a toy rather than a utility and are easily hosed over in the sales process because of that.

I once got a woman calling me crying after she got home and realized the dealership had sold her a motorcycle with no rear view mirror.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

So are you just, like, incapable of seeing more than one sentence of a post or what? The first amendment has all kinds of obvious exceptions, you can't sell nuclear secrets to Iran and expect to escape jail time by being like "my first amendment rights :qq:"

It's not limitless, but public employees absolutely get 1st amendment protections that private employers can legally give no shits about.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not letting a couple enjoy their date because they ruined mine? .
The parents were assholes because your "break from parenting" shouldn't come at the cost of everyone else's evening.

Like the kid's crying? Run out with him and calm him down? Keeps doing it? Maybe loving switch off so that you're both taking care of the kid.

Dude just upped the a-hole ante when they dug in.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Affairs with coworkers? Almost unheard of, but getting more frequent.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

QuarkJets posted:

Thank you, QuarkJets you are really smart and I didn't know the First Amendment only applies to government action. Keep posting, QuarkJets, tell me more, you are such a smart poster and I Really Really want to know what you have to say.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
My (25F) Boyfriend (43M) Is Not 100% Attracted To My Post Extreme Weight Loss Surgery Body - Red Flag?

quote:

Hello Reddit! I am notorious for not seeing red flags in my relationships until it's too late and my heart is already broken, so I decided to ask for advice before that happens.

I've been with my boyfriend for about a month now. He's absolutely wonderful. He's sweet, affectionate, fun, adventurous, and pulls me out of my comfort zone and helps me really enjoy my life. Our communication is on point, which is not something I'm used to having in a relationship. The age difference worried me, and my family, a little bit at first, but we haven't had any sort of issues because of it. My family absolutely adores him. Everything has been going very well, but there is one thing that's sorta been bothering me.

I had gastric bypass a year ago and have lost 186 pounds. My starting weight was 425 pounds and I'm down to 239 pounds. As you can imagine, losing so much weight in such a short amount of time has done some interesting things to my body. I have a lot of extra skin, on my arms, boobs, belly and inner thighs. My boobs are more skin than fat at this point and hang practically down to my waist. I've always carried the majority of my weight in my stomach. The combination of most of my remaining fat being in my stomach and all the extra skin makes it hang way down and it just looks... disgusting. I'm sure I've shared too much information, but hopefully you've got a good picture of just how awful my body looks now.

My boyfriend and I do have a good sex life, but he's been honest with me about how he feels about my body. He has never been cruel - just honest. He tells me I'm beautiful and that he loves having sex with me, but that he's not extremely attracted to my body. I honestly can't blame him. I look pretty good with clothes on, but once they come off... it's scary. He's very good about telling me how proud he is of me and how amazing he thinks I am for all the hard work I've put in to better my life, but I can't help but feel a bit sad about how he feels about my body. But again, I can't blame him. My body is not something that I think anyone would love.

I have about 90 pounds to go until I reach my goal weight and I definitely have plans to have skin removal surgery and a boob job. This keeps me going most days, as I'm sometimes just overwhelmed with hatred for my body. Sometimes I think it keeps him going too, as he's made a couple of comments about being excited for when I'm at my goal and have had surgery. We've talked about that and I've told him that I plan on reaching my goal and having the surgery, but the possibility is always there that it won't happen and I may look like this forever - then what? He's assured me that he loves me for me and would be with me even if my body was always like this. That did make me feel better.

So I guess I'd just like an outside perspective. While I do wish that my boyfriend was crazy about my body, I also can't blame him for it. I can't stand my body and feel like I can't expect anyone to love it when it looks like this. But is my own self hatred clouding my judgement? Should I be with someone who doesn't love my body?

I welcome any feedback and suggestions. Thank you!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's not limitless, but public employees absolutely get 1st amendment protections that private employers can legally give no shits about.

Mostly political so I don’t even know why it’s being discussed here

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I knew a nurse who had an extreme weight loss patient. One time they were giving them a bath and something floated up several feet away under the bubbles.

They reached over to see what it was and it was the patient's nipple. I guess nipples are more buoyant? Nipple buoyancy.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

lol are ground squirrels really attracted to human poo poo?

they love corn

cumshitter posted:

22 year old buying a motorcycle definitely got absolutely hosed in the financing. So not just bad with communication, but money too.

Having worked in financing motorcycles in the past there is no way a 22 year old had decent enough credit to not get hosed over, not discounting the fact that used motorcycle places are somehow even worse than car dealerships. Mostly because people see motorcycles as a toy rather than a utility and are easily hosed over in the sales process because of that.

I once got a woman calling me crying after she got home and realized the dealership had sold her a motorcycle with no rear view mirror.

why the hell would you ever buy a motorcycle in a dealership? it's far more likely he got it on craigslist or facebook or something.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 24, 2019

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's true. I had to get those conical squirrel stoppers people put on birdfeeders fitted around my ankles to stop them from trying to crawl up my legs.

E: whoops, misread corn as cum. Guess it's just the idealist in me.

solarNativity posted:

why the hell would you ever buy a motorcycle in a dealership? it's far more likely he got it on craigslist or facebook or something.

Don't know, not a motorcycle guy myself. But they're pretty aggressive at sales. I knew dealerships who would get people to drive across the entire state and then purposely keep them waiting for hours to build up that tension and desire to buy.

I would guess because they have financing options. A 22 year old is less likely to have the money for a straight cash purchase.

cumshitter fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 24, 2019

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

cumshitter posted:

I would guess because they have financing options. A 22 year old is less likely to have the money for a straight cash purchase.

Maybe, but it's not unreasonable to put together $1-2k for a decent (or not-so-decent) cheap bike on Craigslist. I think that's far more likely than any dealership purchase.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

My (25F) Boyfriend (43M) Is Not 100% Attracted To My Post Extreme Weight Loss Surgery Body - Red Flag?

I’m not seeing any red flags honestly. He’s being honest and while it sucks to hear even she admits he’s not wrong. Not sure what the right course is really. Like if he really does like her and stay with her during the rest of her transformation then cool I guess?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not letting a couple enjoy their date because they ruined mine?
on the way out, the wife told me that they'd been looking forward to this break from parenting for a long time

hahah, having someone else watch your kids is a 'break from parenting' not...sitting with your kid in a public place and ignoring it meltdown

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My fiancé (M43) is a hoarder and I (f22) get anxiety from all the wasted space in our house.

I’ve never had any real affectionate value to things. I have very few posessions and I have it very easy to throw things out. My fiancé does not.

He’s in his 40’s so he’s collected a huge amount of things, most of it is just put away in the attic or basement to never be used or looked at. We recently moved, which means we've gone through a looooot of things, and he just can't throw anything out.

It gives me such anxiety when I see things that he doesn’t care about but he just keeps it anyways. I’ve talked to him about this but it’s really hard for him. He’s always been this way so I can’t really change the way he thinks. I do understand that some things just have a certain value to only one person, but I'm not talking about those kinds of things. It's things that are broken, things that he doesn't even know what it is or remember it. I'll ask him "why don't we throw it our/sell it/give it away" and he'll answer "because I've had it for so many years so it's no point in throwing it out now". I just feel like there’s so much space being wasted because of his old crap that he doesnt even know why he has!? Also on top of it I feel like I can't keep my things the way I want because he needs the space.

TL;DR: Fiancé has a lot of crap that he won't throw away, it gives me anxiety because it takes up so much space and it's things we don't use or even look at.

Anyone had a similar situation? Can you just accept it? Is it a waste of time to get him to change his mind?

quote:

Sorry, OP, so just to get this straight (from this post and your post history)...

He's twice your age. You got together when you were 20 and he was 40
A month ago, you posted that you suspected him of cheating, as he was texting another woman and hiding the texts from you
You also posted that you two were no longer having sex, and that you fight often
You're so stressed that you stopped eating, and you "find comfort in drinking"
He's your step-dad's bandmate, and your mom has a crush on him
Now, you're engaged to be married to this man, yet he can't make space for you in his life by throwing out literally broken useless junk that he has no particular attachment to
I know you probably won't listen, but...please reconsider this engagement.

You're so young, to be financially and legally tying yourself to a man in his 40s. I mean, human brains don't even finish developing until 25. What's the rush here? If you're insistent on staying in this (seemingly extremely unhealthy) relationship, why not at least postpone marriage until you've fully grown into adulthood, and sorted out some of the major issues you're grappling with?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pinecone Sample posted:

Theres no word in any language for what I feel after reading this

Like theres so much going on so quickly, but then it ends fairly reasonably and I just... dont know

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ulex minor posted:

hahah, having someone else watch your kids is a 'break from parenting' not...sitting with your kid in a public place and ignoring it meltdown

Also, who loving takes a 1-year-old baby to a 10-hour movie marathon? That's a long haul even for adults. It legitimately pains me to be on the side of adult Harry Potter superfans angry that there's a kid in a theater, but nnnnngh.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Antivehicular posted:

Also, who loving takes a 1-year-old baby to a 10-hour movie marathon? That's a long haul even for adults. It legitimately pains me to be on the side of adult Harry Potter superfans angry that there's a kid in a theater, but nnnnngh.

Harry Potter superfan dude has a good point but he's still the guy who sat in a theater imitating a crying baby. It's a lose-lose situation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's correct; the government can't fire you because you own a thimble collection, but obviously that doesn't mean that public employees have carte blanche under the guise of first amendment protection. In this case, Pinecone Sample's suggestion that the 1st amendment means that universities can't prevent professors from banging their students is obviously incorrect, for a bunch of reasons, but Pinecone Sample doesn't seem capable of grasping that so you and I can have a conversation about it instead.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

The same kind of colossal moron who thinks "the movie theater is the perfect place to take my baby so that I can take a break from parenting". Infants really don't want to sit in a loud dark movie theater and they sure as gently caress don't want to sit still for 10 hours. Maybe a toddler can deal with a movie theater experience, but infants are simply not equipped for it

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HIJK posted:

Harry Potter superfan dude has a good point but he's still the guy who sat in a theater imitating a crying baby. It's a lose-lose situation.

Was he imitating the baby or genuinely crying? It wasn’t clear to me and neither would surprise me.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

gently caress

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ulex minor posted:

How awful is her kid that “screaming for 10 straight hours in the seat next to me” seems like a relaxing break from normal parenting???

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

QuarkJets posted:

That's correct; the government can't fire you because you own a thimble collection, but obviously that doesn't mean that public employees have carte blanche under the guise of first amendment protection. In this case, Pinecone Sample's suggestion that the 1st amendment means that universities can't prevent professors from banging their students is obviously incorrect, for a bunch of reasons, but Pinecone Sample doesn't seem capable of grasping that so you and I can have a conversation about it instead.

Pinecone Sample was not suggesting that tenured professors can't get fired for banging students. You are railing against arguments that nobody is making, just like you have been in the house buying thread for the last day and a half or so. You seem to be getting really bent out of shape about minor or even imagined differences of opinion, and are defending your positions really aggressively. Are you feeling OK?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you I won't do what you tell me I'm gonna suck this strawman's dick *gags, spits out bits of straw*

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Pinecone Sample's comment was that public employees have more protections around getting fired in those circumstances. Except for a very narrow set of exceptions, a private employers (without union contracts to contend with) can create arbitrary policies about banging/association and enforce them arbitrarily. Public employers have to justify the policy in the first place, and have additional obligations around the process of enforcing them. Sometimes this means that the practical enforcement of the policy can be impacted - like Pinecone Sample's example of the professor swimming naked with his undergraduate student. The university punted by giving him an extended sabbatical because of the process requirements that are in place in part because of legal/constitutional obligations. An employer without those obligations could on the other hand fire him on the spot or ignore the situation entirely whether it was just a rumor or on tape, any harassment claims aside. The ideal scenario would be that everyone's employment would have those kinds of protections and managers don't avoid addressing things due to laziness/difficulty, but that's not the case in the US.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my friend to find her own hobbies and interests instead of just copying whatever her current boyfriend is into?

Title says it all. My friend is one of those girls who always has a boyfriend, and that boyfriend becomes a central part of her identity. Last night we were having dinner and she said she needed a new hobby because she didn’t realize gaming could be so expensive. She dropped $2500 on a gaming rig because the guy she is dating now is into gaming, when before this she didn’t even have Candy Crush on her phone.

So I told her that she should find her own hobbies and interests instead of getting into whatever her current boyfriend is into. I reminded her that she enrolled in BJJ class when she dated a BJJ blackbelt (but she never stepped into a gym again after they broke up), she bought tons of baking tools and supplies when she dated a pastry chef (all banished to some faraway corner of her kitchen cabinet as I write this), she even wanted to buy a cobra when she was seeing a guy who collected them (Thank God the guy told her that she absolutely shouldn’t do it).

After dinner one of our other friends told me I shouldn’t have said that to her and she clearly looked hurt, but I think that there was nothing wrong with what I said because I just pointed out facts and I think she needed to hear that to realize how dependent her personality is on her boyfriends and how ridiculous she is acting by copying their interests.

AITA?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

therobit posted:

Pinecone Sample was not suggesting that tenured professors can't get fired for banging students. You are railing against arguments that nobody is making, just like you have been in the house buying thread for the last day and a half or so. You seem to be getting really bent out of shape about minor or even imagined differences of opinion, and are defending your positions really aggressively. Are you feeling OK?

Here's the pair of posts in question:

Pinecone Sample posted:

How common is it for universities to forbid professors from intimate relationships with any under student on campus? Can they?

Pinecone Sample posted:

I'm not sure if I agree, legally, e.g. in public universities I think that would potentially violate due process and various First Amendment interests, and I'm not familiar enough with collective bargaining or tenure to comment on top of that. I can see the interest in enforcing such policies about one's own students I am sure those have long existed or been justifiable improper conduct, but I'm not sure if universities would have wanted to put broader rules on the books until recent years and that becomes another process question.

This is getting too lost in the weeds for this thread

These posts certainly seem like they're arguing that due process and First Amendment interests clash with rules forbidding professors from forming intimate relationships with their students. Are you saying they don't? Can you articulate why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Holy poo poo I don't care