Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA because I have an issue with my boyfriend 'surprising' me before and after work?

It’s like a horror movie where you are yelling at the screen “run girl runnnnnn” except she’s not she’s asking reddit :(

Sorry about your future restraining order. (Hopefully that’s all it is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

HMS Beagle posted:

AITA for laughing hysterically during the movie my gf decided we would watch? (A Time to Kill)

Badly-timed giggles is really difficult to stop.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (26f) found videos my husband (28m) took of my sister at a fourth of July family event. He broke down, begged for forgiveness after I brought it up... and I just feel confused.

I don't get it, he took video of his SIL waiting in line???? I guess him being weird and apologizing like that means there was something more to it and it was actually rear end shots for jack off material or whatever....

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

empty sea posted:

This is back in the thread, but friends don't let friends get a French bulldog or bulldogs or a pug or any other short to inverted nose breeds.

Sure, they may be cute puppies and decent dogs but their life quality is poo poo and they will inevitably die young with their tongues purple, gasping and bloody fluid pouring out of their nose and it is loving horrible. I work at an ER vet and I see this poo poo daily.

If they don't die from over-heating on like 1/2 the walk a normal dog does, they die from aspirating their own vomit when they try to eat or drink and then choke. Or we do surgery to try and correct their hosed up, elongated palates and they die from swelling and complications after a day or so on a ventilator. Even 6 month, otherwise healthy puppies die all the time.

Get a nice, normal-nose dog and watch it die from cancer after a decent lifespan. It'll still be horrific, but at least it can breathe comfortably for its whole life before it dies.

oh so when you say don't breed obviously hosed up dogs that's moral and correct but when someone suggest not to breed obviously hosed up people that's :airquote:
evil eugenics and they're a :airquote: nazi. pfft

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Xik posted:

I don't get it, he took video of his SIL waiting in line???? I guess him being weird and apologizing like that means there was something more to it and it was actually rear end shots for jack off material or whatever....

Yeah this one is odd, I want an update to see if we get more clarification. If I am reading what she is putting out there correctly, I think she suspects what was revving up hubby to be kissy in that moment wasn't her (as she thought at the time), but the kid next to him? And he covered it up by smooching her and recording the kid, for later obsession/grossness.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
ok so reading the reddit thread I think "younger sister" means younger sister, welp.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

cumshitter posted:

Yeah it was definitely a case of Parenting at the Last Minute.

That's one of the threads I find interesting in these Reddit stories. Parents who realize their legal control over a child is about to expire and think they can last minute form a connection or have one last bit of control over their child's life.

"I should put a brick on your head."

That started around age 11 or 12. Which was when I started approaching my mother's 5 1/4" in height. In the 40 years since I haven't had a positive acknowledgement that I've so much as become an adult.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

No child of mine will grow up to have a regional dialect! :argh:

If you have the option to raise them to speak proper English, why not? Accents are distracting and could hurt the kid's social and employment prospects down the line.

He can gently caress right off with that grilling/barbecue thing though, and presumably the other pedantry that comes with that.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you have the option to raise them to speak proper English, why not? Accents are distracting and could hurt the kid's social and employment prospects down the line.

What to you is “proper” English? What accents are “distracting”?

Where are you from that you think that you don’t have an accent, that others around you don’t have an accent or that your child is even capable of not picking up an accent?

Because that whole line of thinking is like trying to teach a rightie to be a leftie with a flair of reaaaaaal lovely view on others based on accents. There is no such thing as “proper” English.

E: teach your child multiple languages instead, as that will help their social standing, employment prospects and genuine wellbeing.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If your normal accent or dialect is discriminated against, your kid will just learn to switch between their normal speech and an acquired “proper” form of the language as required by the situation and present company.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

teen witch posted:

What to you is “proper” English? What accents are “distracting”?

Where are you from that you think that you don’t have an accent, that others around you don’t have an accent or that your child is even capable of not picking up an accent?

Because that whole line of thinking is like trying to teach a rightie to be a leftie with a flair of reaaaaaal lovely view on others based on accents. There is no such thing as “proper” English.

If you want to be pedantic, "unaccented" American English is the Midlands accent with their regional nuances stripped out as well. The way newscasters are taught to speak. If there are two parents who use different regional pronunciations and the child isn't being raised somewhere with a strong regional pronunciation, it's simple enough to correct those things as they come up.

I grew up in a bunch of places around the mid Atlantic area, and am living in a Southern state with a large transplant population. I don't claim for a moment to speak perfectly or anything, but it's certainly noticeable when someone has a significant drawl or drops in a word with a specific regional pronunciation (like a new england car or upper midwest roof). Why not be mindful of that stuff around a kid and train them?

quote:

E: teach your child multiple languages instead, as that will help their social standing, employment prospects and genuine wellbeing.

This is true but not contradictory.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I grew up in a bunch of places around the mid Atlantic area, and am living in a Southern state with a large transplant population. I don't claim for a moment to speak perfectly or anything, but it's certainly noticeable when someone has a significant drawl or drops in a word with a specific regional pronunciation (like a new england car or upper midwest roof). Why not be mindful of that stuff around a kid and train them?

Because the regional accents are not wrong, just different from what you consider correct and proper. There is an argument to be made when it comes to employment prospects I guess, but the fact that accents and dialects are discriminated against is a bad thing, and not hammering in the distinction between "proper" and "improper" ways of speaking will help to get rid of those prejudices.

whether the benefit to an individual of being taught particular ways of speaking outweighs the more nebulous and spread out benefits of fighting societal prejudice by refusing to participate is up to the parents I guess...

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Man I thought the example of “improper” English was at least going to turn out to be Appalachian mountain talk or AAVE or something

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

You can teach a kid that there is cultural baggage on the way people speak, and that if they have an accent that deviates from the norm in a certain area, they may be subject to prejudices. Those are irrational, but they exist, and so it might be necessary to change register or code switch depending on who you are speaking to.

But trying to "train" a kid to speak "properly" or "without an accent" is just going to perpetuate those prejudices further.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you want to be pedantic, "unaccented" American English is the Midlands accent with their regional nuances stripped out as well. The way newscasters are taught to speak. If there are two parents who use different regional pronunciations and the child isn't being raised somewhere with a strong regional pronunciation, it's simple enough to correct those things as they come up.

If it’s a matter of teaching kids that potato is not pronounced “po-tay-teez” yeah that’s fine. But to teach them that certain accents are inherently lesser socially, that’s a kind of bigoted thing to impart into a child, who can then take it however they want. Is AAVE lesser? What about accented English from immigrants? Is Canadian English lesser, or does it really truly matter to see a persons worth by how they say “car”.

I work in a field where my entire office has accented English from a thousand different places all over the world, I collaborate with people all over the word with next level thick as cake accents, my boyfriend sounds like Skwissgar, my father and his side of the family sounds like Mufasa, my grandparents siblings sound like a weird Minnesota meets Canadian nice (helllooooo western NY), I went to school in loving Prah-vid-enz and I myself can slip into thick Fran Drescher-ian tawk with enough gin in me/get angry enough.

None of that is a hinderance whatsoever in my relationship to them, I do not see them as lesser, professionally or socially, by how they speak or what words they use, I find it a beautiful clue into who they are and where they came from. It’s a spice, not a mold spot to be cut off.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

Because the regional accents are not wrong, just different from what you consider correct and proper. There is an argument to be made when it comes to employment prospects I guess, but the fact that accents and dialects are discriminated against is a bad thing, and not hammering in the distinction between "proper" and "improper" ways of speaking will help to get rid of those prejudices.

Fair enough, proper was the wrong word. When those regional variations are agrammatical though, that needs to go.

And really this "problem" (insofar as it creates barriers to communication) is solving itself. Regional variations of American English have softened a lot as communication and transportation have become more available. With the internet now we're seeing more pidgining and loan words in foreign languages, I have to believe it's all inevitably going to lead to some bastardized global dialect. Probably one including emojis.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

If this push to standardise American accents means getting rid of the midwestern accents the characters in Fargo have then I, for one, will rise up in armed rebellion, because those are one of the cutest American accents, and death to anyone who says otherwise.

edit: I don't know if those are the same people who merge "pen" and "pin" but that is also a cute accent feature, how dare anyone try to smooth it out

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Xik posted:

Oh god the little sister is probably a pre teen.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

QuarkJets posted:

AITA for not wanting to honor my mother’s dying wish to give the house that my husband and I bought for her to my sister?

Thank you for buying me a house, you dear, now will you please give the house to your naive often-scammed BWM sister once I die? She's so easily tricked that I'm worried she'll run out of stuff to lose too quickly if she doesn't have a huge asset in her name

Jesus Christ the balls on that Mom. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a Mom who would accept a house from her daughter would also expect her other daughter to be able to mooch off her sibling forever. Holy entitlement complex.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

teen witch posted:

my grandparents siblings sound like a weird Minnesota meets Canadian nice (helllooooo western NY)

Heyyyyy! I've got the Buffalo accent (flat a's, dropped mid syllable on some words). Only time it was ever a problem was someone in Indiana once couldn't understand where I was from until I stressed 'Buff-a-Lo' as opposed to 'Buff-lo'.

I only code switch for presentations or if I need to speak on the phone for business reasons.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

Heyyyyy! I've got the Buffalo accent (flat a's, dropped mid syllable on some words). Only time it was ever a problem was someone in Indiana once couldn't understand where I was from until I stressed 'Buff-a-Lo' as opposed to 'Buff-lo'.

I only code switch for presentations or if I need to speak on the phone for business reasons.

I love it! It reminds me of my maternal family, and especially my late grandmother - she died when I was 9, but I can still hear her voice, especially the “Ah JEEEH-pers ED!”. My family has lived up there since the 16whatevers.

I’m hardly keen on upstate NY itself being filthy Long Island scum but I adore the accents and it gives me a sense of feeling like home.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 25, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you have the option to raise them to speak proper English, why not?

I agree that you should raise your children to speak Received Pronunciation, OP. Make sure they learn to spell things with a U in them, too.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

32f w/boyfriend 32m. 2 year relationship. He's 3 years into having lost his license for 5 years. How long to put my life on hold?

quote:

He rents a studio apartment off his parents house for very cheap since his divorce roughly 3 years ago. Marriage was roughly 10 years if that's relevant. He has a 12 year old son who I very much care about. He does do a lot of work on their home. They're a very tight knit involved family. Almost excessively so?

He works nights and I work days. He does not want to invest in an intoxilock or rent an apartment because he thinks it's a waste when he could be saving for a house. Which would be awesome except he's done no research on the logistics of doing so. Does not know his credit score and has student loans he's been ignoring for more than 10 years.

I recently have moved in with a family friend after a roommate situation went South. Moved into essentially a boarding house after a series of unfortunate family events. I had no control over the revolving door of roomates. Tolerated some crazies and addicts until finally a very angry man whose temper tantrums were escalating.

I've been working overtime and for a short while even a second job on top of that. Trying like hell to get debt free improve my credit etc.

I'm currently making 12.50. He's making over 20 hourly. However he does have child support to pay. He does also have legal fees and student loans neither of which I believe he's even working on doing anything about.

Most of the time when I do see him it's only on the weekends with his entire family present. I generally have to travel to him and do his family poo poo whenever I want to see him.

He thinks he's doing the best he can at the moment with his present circumstances. I'm not sure whether to believe that's true. I also mildly resent what I consider a laid back attitude that everything will be fine that I believe comes from having too much of a safety net.

I care about this man. I want to hear that he's going to build a life with me. I'm afraid he's just averse to change and doesn't want to accept more responsibility and move on.

TL;DR How long is reasonable to wait for someone else's life circumstances to change?

Estimated total cost of interlock device in NY state?

quote:

Have asked this before in many different subs. Sorry if I am yet again in the wrong place.

Generally get no real answers and just a whole lot of people telling me what a piece of poo poo my SO is who deserves it. Stable employment virtually impossible in my county without a vehicle.

Second dui in 10 years. Literally 9 years apart. This makes him unqualified for a work permit. Waiting it out takes 5 years

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for not thanking a Veteran for his service?

He looks at me and says “aren’t you supposed to say something else now?”

This is from pages back (if I've missed a probe warning, sucks to be me) but how the hell is the response to that anything other than 'Oh, what kind of worming pills would you recommend for my cat?'???

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you want to be pedantic, "unaccented" American English is the Midlands accent with their regional nuances stripped out as well.

There is no such thing. Everybody has an accent.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for getting pissed off at my GF because she was masturbating while she kept me waiting downstairs?
Pretty much what the title says.

So I called my girlfriend to ask her if she wanted to go get some breakfast and she said yes. I told her I'd pick her up at her place and told her to get ready. I reach her apartment and call her to let her know I'm in the car waiting for her. She then tells me that she needs to brush her teeth and that she'll be down in a couple of minutes.

I ended up waiting there for about twenty minutes and I was pretty frustrated. Not only because I was starving, but she had kept me waiting for so long. She finally shows up and gets in the car. She explains how she had to pack her stuff and she also had to return a charger to her neighbour, and that was the reason for her being late. I'm pretty annoyed at this point not only because she kept me waiting for that long after I had called her to let her know that I'd be there, but also because she told me she'd be downstairs in a few minutes.

I lighten up after breakfast and we spend the day together. She even apologized for keeping me waiting and I pretty much told her not to worry about it since I chalked it up to me overreacting because I was hangry.

Fast forward to the end of the day, we're in my house, lying in bed. She gets a text from her sister, who lives with her, and they start talking. I catch a quick glance at a text from her sister saying how she still had to return the charger (I was not spying or anything, we were literally in bed together and she was holding the phone right in front of the both of us).

At this point I ask her what her sister was talking about, since she'd said she kept me waiting in the morning because of the whole charger thing. She then looks up at me kind of sheepishly and said that she kept me waiting because she was masturbating.

I got really pissed off at her once I realized this was the reason that she'd kept me waiting. I felt insulted and disrespected. She knew I was waiting for her downstairs, and she still decided to take twenty or more minutes to masturbate because that was more important to her. It would've been different had she been in the middle of flicking her bean and I called her out of the blue to tell her that I'm waiting downstairs. But this wasn't that, she knew I was coming, I called her once I reached, and still she decided to start masturbating after that, regardless of the fact that I was waiting for her. Not only that, she lied to me on top of it with the whole "packing" and "charger" bs.

She started crying and apologizing immediately after she told me this. I just got really cold and told her that I'd like for her to leave. She was crying and saying sorry in the car all the way to her apartment, where I dropped her off. At that point I felt like I was overreacting a little and maybe I was being an rear end in a top hat to her. I still feel insulted that she'd do that to me.

I haven't talked to her or anyone else about this yet and I'd like an unbiased opinion. So, AITA?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Have you considered that possibly everyone telling you that your boyfriend is a piece of poo poo, not like "he is embarrassing" but like "is actively human garbage" piece of poo poo, could theoretically share these opinions for some reason other than that they are pod people and that, frankly, youd be better off it they abducted some combination of you and your boyfriend and replaced you with mindless duplicates?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

LadyPictureShow posted:

32f w/boyfriend 32m. 2 year relationship. He's 3 years into having lost his license for 5 years. How long to put my life on hold?

You're not a girlfriend, you're a life support system.

Pull the plug.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Power Khan posted:

AITA for getting pissed off at my GF because she was masturbating while she kept me waiting downstairs?
Maybe if you were keeping her satisfied :nyd:

:audience cheers:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

She should drive him around town to all the places he needs to go which conveniently are the top of a canyon and the bottom of a gorge

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
My(20F) twin flame (20M) broke up with me today and my soul feels shattered

quote:

I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to accomplish, I guess mostly reassurance/input, but I am in insurmountable pain. As a preface, twin flames are supposed to help each other become the best, most mature versions of ourselves but often twin flame relationships have periods of turmoil along with the joy and deep love for one another.

This was our second attempt at a relationship after me breaking up with him over a year ago, but we found each other again after a period of separation. Tomorrow would have been our nine month, and when he approached me today I knew what was to come. We have been fighting often, but the real issues were much more than that. He told me that he needed to figure out who he is and how to fully love himself, and that we needed time apart. He loves me beyond measure and I feel the same. I have never connected with someone as deeply as I have with him; he is the yin to my yang. We both recognize our relationship as it was is not sustainable for a future together. We both have growing to do, and honestly we both need to know how to love ourselves first and make ourselves happy. Both of us want to give us the best shot we have of doing it right if given the opportunity again, and I logically understand this. My emotions on the other hand, are completely wrecked. My world feels shattered even though I know it is not a goodbye forever. We have agreed not to talk or make any direct contact before November, and even when we do, we do not want to rush anything. I am planning on attending a study abroad in the spring semester, so getting into a relationship is not a good idea for that timeframe. The general consensus is that when I get back from that, we will know how we need to proceed. If we are going to be together again, I want to do it the right way. I love him so much, and even if we do not get back together romantically we still want each other in the other's life. He has made me grow so much as a person, and I can't imagine my life without him in it in some form. I plan on working on my self love and happiness, continuing in therapy, and getting back into one of my creative outlets. Like I mentioned above, I want it to be done correctly: no rushing or doing self-improvement for anything other than ourself. If we are blessed with the opportunity to be together, I want to make sure we are fully able to love each other unconditionally. It just hurts so loving much to have to be apart from someone when you both still love each other. Yet, I keep having to remind my currently immature spirt that your relationship can only be as good as your relationship with yourself.

tl;dr Boyfriend and I (twin flames) broke up to work on ourselves and give ourselves the best shot if we are to get back together eventually, but I quite literally feel like I'm dying. Input/reassurance/suggestions to help me cope healthily is/are welcome.

Also, you may have a different belief on how spirtual matters work, but be kind and open-minded if commenting please.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And that vibrators nickname? Chad

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

welcome to hell posted:

A kind person would try to explain that calling each other twin flames puts an impossible pressure on any relationship.

A wise person would tell to never stop fighting for love, because holy gently caress these people should not be inflicted upon anybody else

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

welcome to hell posted:

Lmao, 20 year olds

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The hell is a "twin flame"? Is that from some bad YA book or anime?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not everything that makes you weirdly mad comes from a ya novel or anime

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

One of the two seems like an awfully strong bet though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CharlestheHammer posted:

You just know that anyone who uses that term has consumed a large amount of anime, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Randler posted:

The hell is a "twin flame"? Is that from some bad YA book or anime?

Ok, imagine you wanted a way to look down on people who call each other "soul mates" and then get crazier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beachcomber posted:

You just know that anyone who uses that term has consumed a large amount of anime, though.

It's part of the backstory of "Ten no ai no tatakai", in which the main leads are genderswapped reincarnations of legendary hero who learn they share a soul that was made from one of the 12 Heavenly Lords, actually.