Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Willing to bet that the Melton Mowbray pie story (if any of it's true) has something to do with the US hating the EU's protected origin food labeling rights, which - incidentally - Melton Mowbray has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The champagne of pies

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Verizian posted:

Didn't he do a big speech about how Brexit will save the UK from the nazi EU too? There's a lot of old rockers who are dangerously out of touch and buy into bullshit far too easily.

The most politically correct band is still Anaal Nathrakh since their main position is People = Cunts but especially modern news media, nazis, capitalism, and organised religion.

He missed out that part in Scotland if he did, he was very pro-EU when they played up here...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CyberPingu posted:

He missed out that part in Scotland if he did, he was very pro-EU when they played up here...

Bruce Dickinson is very famously the only airline pilot to openly support Brexit. If he said otherwise in Scotland, he was playing the crowd.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Bruce Dickinson chat:

Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson reveals why he voted to leave the EU and says he’s ‘quite relaxed’ about Brexit
Read more at https://www.nme.com/news/music/iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-voted-leave-eu-quite-relaxed-brexit-2413027#SzeiSFDi4h3DZGTF.99

Reading that article is essentially we, extremely wealthy rockers with a global audience, will be alright therefore everyone will be alright.

Anti-nazi metal. Y'all forgot Napalm Death

Anyway,

https://news.avclub.com/feed-your-anti-fascist-anger-with-a-playlist-of-metal-s-1798265177

link to the spotify playlist mentioned in that article: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/34PBXAtf8z3bAZbCiEVt24

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Bruce Dickinson chat:

Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson reveals why he voted to leave the EU and says he’s ‘quite relaxed’ about Brexit
Read more at https://www.nme.com/news/music/iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-voted-leave-eu-quite-relaxed-brexit-2413027#SzeiSFDi4h3DZGTF.99

Reading that article is essentially we, extremely wealthy rockers with a global audience, will be alright therefore everyone will be alright.

Anti-nazi metal. Y'all forgot Napalm Death

Anyway,

https://news.avclub.com/feed-your-anti-fascist-anger-with-a-playlist-of-metal-s-1798265177

link to the spotify playlist mentioned in that article: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/34PBXAtf8z3bAZbCiEVt24

Huh,

That sucks and is really disappointing

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

CyberPingu posted:

Iron Maiden are the best anti-nazi band and Bruce did a big speach when i saw them last year about not letting them anywhere near power ever again

They have a massive hardon for the Empire though. I love their music but they're wankers. Reminder that Bruce waved a Union Jack in Argentina right after the Falklands war

The Lone Badger posted:

Are akubras acceptable?

Only if you wear a white shirt and khaki shorts, and say "crikey" a lot, otherwise it's cultural appropriation.

crispix posted:

If this country leaves the EU without an agreement with the EU then this country as we know it is finished. It will not be allowed to happen.

Lol that's Just World Fallacy as gently caress. I hope reason prevails too but I'm far too jaded by now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I kinda assume Cattle Decapitation are anti-fash, being so stridently pro-animal rights and environmentalist. Haven't really investigated beyond that.

And going off my username, can't ignore that anti-fash stalwarts Propagandhi are much more of a metal band than a punk band. Just a category error due to their sometimes questionable early Fat Wreck days

Pochoclo posted:

They have a massive hardon for the Empire though. I love their music but they're wankers. Reminder that Bruce waved a Union Jack in Argentina right after the Falklands war

IIRC they brought out the Union Jack at a show in Dublin in the early 00s and were genuinely surprised by the hostile reception, lol

E: https://www.thefreelibrary.com/UNION+JACK+FURY+OF+IRON+MAIDEN+FANS%3b+POINT+CROWD+BOO+AT+FLAG+WAVING.-a0110783875

Owned

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 26, 2019

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The UK flag thing is part of a song as an homage to people who died in WW1. But yeah, i agree taking it out in the Falklands and Dublin is not exactly the best move.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I will never not love being in a Napalm Death crowd and joining in with everyone screaming themselves hoarse to Nazi Punks gently caress Off. The RABM scene is working had to counter NSBM poo poo and put out great leftist black metal of many stripes. And I like that it's spreading to genres too.

Pro playlist drop.

EDIT:
Coven of the Pestilent One by UK goon Lifeglug, pro queer/trans rights, anti-capitalist, anti-facist and all that good poo poo. Also on all big streaming services.

And in fracking talk - how long before "sorry, buy a filyet from your water company or buy bottled water" is the norm is hell-timeline continues?

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 26, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

The UK flag thing is part of a song as an homage to people who died in WW1. But yeah, i agree taking it out in the Falklands and Dublin is not exactly the best move.

Pretty sure that Falkland Islanders would dig it. They're big British nationalists for what should be obvious reasons.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

CyberPingu posted:

Darth Walrus posted:

Pretty sure that Falkland Islanders would dig it. They're big British nationalists for what should be obvious reasons.

It was Buenos Aires, not Falklands, the Falklands are British, we had a war to decide that lol. And to be fair to them it was 2001, not "right after" as I thought, but still, you wave a giant Union Jack in Buenos Aires, don't complain if you get the "el que no salta es un inglés" football chant

Paradoxically we love British culture but flags are special for some reason. I think they trigger the football as religion thing

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 26, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah I think it's Buenos Aires that had the problem. Not sure a Falklands gig would get the numbers, sheep included.

And sure, the Trooper is obv about WW1, but uhh the Irish have slightly different associations with that word. Specially since many of those actual Ww1 troopers were then shipped to Ireland to rape the locals and burn down our cities

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Verizian posted:

The most politically correct band is still Anaal Nathrakh since their main position is People = Cunts but especially modern news media, nazis, capitalism, and organised religion.

Allfather are full on Antifa. They promote their music as riffs against fascism.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

namesake posted:

Oh I get that we're going to no deal and it'll probably be the lib dems fault, it's just that that's fairly disasterous while my suggestion basically gets over the line into 'good thing' while nothing else does.

No, my point is that even if Labour get in, there’s still no way that their withdrawal agreement passes. It cannot win a referendum (just think how small a proportion of the population actually want a Labour Brexit. Most leavers want a Tory one and most Labour supporters want remain), and even if they ditch a public vote, Corbyn will not be able to get the votes in Parliament for one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Uh. I don't know about that. 1660 a bit of an exception obvs.
I can think of a few times it happened, mostly during that time when everyone's predecessor was too Catholic/Protestant and therefore all their Acts were suspect.

Edward cancelled Henry, Mary cancelled Edward, and so on. Certainly more a Crown as the monarch rather than a legal fiction attached to a hat attached to an old woman.

feedmegin posted:

We were a Republic before we were a Protectorate, from 1649 to 1653. No gods no masters.
That also took a civil war, which I'm not sure Britain's up for at the moment, whereas changing the corporate branding from Crown to People and having the Lord President as head of state is doable with just paperwork.

The Lone Badger posted:

Are akubras acceptable?
Depends what you're going for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X9tBHX_Fl4

Failed Imagineer posted:

And sure, the Trooper is obv about WW1, but uhh the Irish have slightly different associations with that word. Specially since many of those actual Ww1 troopers were then shipped to Ireland to rape the locals and burn down our cities
It's about the Charge of the Light Brigade.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

It's about the Charge of the Light Brigade.

Ah well, nevertheless. *shrinks into corncob*

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Comrade Fakename posted:

No, my point is that even if Labour get in, there’s still no way that their withdrawal agreement passes. It cannot win a referendum (just think how small a proportion of the population actually want a Labour Brexit. Most leavers want a Tory one and most Labour supporters want remain), and even if they ditch a public vote, Corbyn will not be able to get the votes in Parliament for one.

Labour's proposal at that point would probably be a referendum for our agreement vs remain. Thus, a referendum where both options are fully explained and acceptable to the government, i.e. an actually useful, meaningful referendum on the topic.

And if we leave, under a putative labour-agreed withdrawal agreement, or we stay, then either is acceptable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Verizian posted:

Didn't he do a big speech about how Brexit will save the UK from the nazi EU too? There's a lot of old rockers who are dangerously out of touch and buy into bullshit far too easily.

Iskra. Really good eggs. Named after the newspaper of the RSDLP, founded by Lenin, Plekhanov, Martov & others, whose motto was "from a spark a fire will flare up" (because Iskra is the Russian word for spark). Really on the mark politics and their music is loving fantastic. Bits of black metal, bits of crust punk, all in a very satisfying package.

Plus I've mentioned Panopticon in UKMT plenty times before but Austin Lunn is very much good politics combined with black metal. Genuinely excited to live in an era where the best black metal isn't being made by reprehensible cunts.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I want to believe that everything won't keep getting worse and more stupid, and everything good won't be carved up and sold off to ultra-rich vultures, and Corbs will win a banging VONC and usher in a new golden age, and the hardest possible Brexit isn't a miserable inevitability, but living in a house with two dogs and two cats and a four-year-old has shown me the terrible truth: we can't have nice things. :smith:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I also saw Iron Maiden last year (in Brum), and Bruce also did his "nazis" bit.

He said something like "sometimes we as a country have just got to do what's right, like when we fought the nazis" - right in front of a Union Jack - and he was very obviously talking about Brexit, with the implication that the EU are the nazis. I guess if you replace the flag with St Andrew's Cross it might change the inference a bit but from where I was standing it was real loving obvious.

Still a great set mind.

e: think he might have actually said something explicitly about Brexit, or the state of politics in general, beforehand? idr, turns out scientists have developed plastic cups capable of usefully holding 2 pints so I managed to actually get pissed at the NEC

vvvv it's silly fun rock music and they put on a good show, who cares :shrug:

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 26, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Iron Maiden are loving shite anyway so it doesn't matter that Bruce is purebred gammon.

(It's important to remember that every metal band I dislike are shite. Especially the ones like Iron Maiden & Slayer who I don't actually dislike but am just bored of)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 26, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Labour's proposal at that point would probably be a referendum for our agreement vs remain. Thus, a referendum where both options are fully explained and acceptable to the government, i.e. an actually useful, meaningful referendum on the topic.

And if we leave, under a putative labour-agreed withdrawal agreement, or we stay, then either is acceptable.

Yes, I know. But there’s no way a Labour-led deal would win a referendum, nor in parliament if a public vote doesn’t happen for some reason, is my point.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Iron Maiden are loving shite anyway so it doesn't matter that Bruce is purebred gammon.

They have some catchy stuff and decent guitarmonies, but you could (should) just listen to Thin Lizzy instead

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Payndz posted:

but living in a house with two dogs and two cats and a four-year-old has shown me the terrible truth: we can't have nice things. :smith:

I'm sorry your dual cat experience is being sullied by two dogs and a child.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*running around Dublin with a Union flag cape singing about the Light Brigade and dual weilding two cats*

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

(It's important to remember that every metal band I dislike are shite. Especially the ones like Iron Maiden & Slayer who I don't actually dislike but am just bored of)

I saw Iron Maiden at Brixton supported by My Dying Bride (one of my favouritest bands ever) and stood in an underground carriage after the gig chock full of die-hard Maiden fans and loudly said 'of course, MDB blew them off stage'. It all went quiet. The guy I was with edged away and tried to look as if we'd never met. I survived the death stares.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

forkboy84 posted:

I remember Slayer made a big thing about how the 'snowflakes' needed to respect the president after Trump was elected, which made it even funnier when everyone tried to spin them getting kicked off sponsoring a Nascar team as Nascar being afraid of alienating the right instead of Nascar being afraid of alienating the purity driven fucks who never got over the idea that all metal is satan worshippers.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

*running around Dublin with a Union flag cape singing about the Light Brigade and dual weilding two cats*

Judging by the weird poo poo I hear outside my flat at night this may already be happening

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

'of course, MDB blew them off stage'.

Pretty sus.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The biggest metalhead I know is also the biggest fascist I know. Power metal and muslim genocide go hand in hand as far as my anecdotal evidence is concerned.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Would be neat to have some good Muslim metal bands actually. I know Indonesia has a pretty rad metal scene but I know nothing about it

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Would be neat to have some good Muslim metal bands actually. I know Indonesia has a pretty rad metal scene but I know nothing about it

Yeah there are loads. Metal is one of the most unifying forces in the world. I'll dig out a few later if I get time.

Did you ever see that documentary Heavy Metal in Baghdad?

When I lived in Cairo I knew an Egyptian female metal fan who wore a hijab covered in skulls to gigs.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 26, 2019

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Who wants some magic unicorn Irish border? I do! I do!

quote:

Experts propose alternative to Brexit backstop

LONDON – A team of experts, including a former high-ranking British official in the European Commission, has drawn up a plan to replace the Northern Ireland backstop, which has become the major hurdle to a Brexit deal.

They say the plan has already attracted “considerable interest.”

The proposal, drawn up by Jonathan Faull — who held several director-general posts and was head of a special Commission task force on Brexit — and legal academics Joseph Weiler and Daniel Sarmiento, “maintains the integrity of both the EU’s single market and the UK’s territory;” “does not require Ireland to be treated differently from the rest of the EU or Northern Ireland to be treated differently from Great Britain;” and “does not tie the U.K. to the EU customs union, thus allowing the U.K. to pursue its own trade policy,” the group told POLITICO.

Its core principle is that the U.K. and EU are free to have distinct regulatory systems and customs regimes, but the U.K. and Ireland would make it a criminal offense to knowingly export goods across the Irish border that breach regulatory rules on the other side of the frontier.

To avoid customs checks at the border, the proposal envisages a network of “EU Trade Centres” in the U.K. and Ireland, but away from the border, in which “all goods destined for the EU or the U.K. respectively via Northern Ireland would be processed, including payment of duties and the like, before they actually left British or Irish territory.”

The group drew up the plan in response to the rising probability of a no-deal Brexit. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said he will take the U.K. out of the EU with or without an agreement — “do or die” — by October 31.

“As the prospect of a No Deal became frighteningly real we thought we would act,” Faull, Weiler and Sarmiento said in an email. “And we believed that maybe a fresh look and fresh minds not locked in to hardened positions could come up with something useful. We have grown increasingly frustrated at the tone of the debate and want to show that there is a practicable solution which should satisfy both sides.”

Asked whether the plan had been shared with EU officials or the U.K. government, the group declined to reveal the content of any discussions but said the plan had garnered “considerable interest.”

Faull told BBC Radio 4’s “Today” program on Monday that he had not personally raised the plan with Downing Street but he hoped it would prompt discussion “so that we can sort something out quickly by the end of October.”

A U.K. government official said they were aware of the proposal but it had not been raised directly with No. 10 Downing Street.

Discussions on Brexit between the U.K. and the EU will continue at ‘sherpa’ level this week, the official said, adding that “there are lots of ideas that are out there.”

[...]

The group behind the new proposal said their plan would allow the backstop to be stripped out of the legally-binding Withdrawal Agreement. They said the plan could be underpinned by an agreement of heads of state or government, or via a “minor tweaking of the Political Declaration [on the future relationship] and/or a one sentence modification to the Withdrawal Agreement.”

“The advantage of our proposal is that it creates a symmetry of rights and obligations of both parties, there are no winners and losers, and it creates an incentive for both parties to make it work,” the group said. “Nothing is risk-free, but we believe that beyond the rhetoric of the moment, the EU and the UK have strong economic, political and strategic incentives to work together.”

Oh ok so now it's a crime - which wasn't at all a problem during the Troubles, and we don't do border checks, but we'll do them 5 miles inland.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

wait, sabaton aren't fash? could have loving fooled me. Has anyone told their fanbase?

also im 33 today :toot:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah there are loads. Metal is one of the most unifying forces in the world. I'll dig out a few later if I get time.

Did you ever see that documentary Heavy Metal in Baghdad?

When I lived in Cairo I knew an Egyptian female metal fan who wore a hijab covered in skulls to gigs.

No, but that all sounds very cool.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Happy Birthday PC :toot:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

No, but that all sounds very cool.

I follow this girl on Facebook - she's Indonesian - does lots of covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tayGdTfL7b4

Pound_Coin posted:

also im 33 today :toot:

Happy birthday

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 26, 2019

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Badass. :black101:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I follow this girl on Facebook - she's Indonesian - does lots of covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tayGdTfL7b4

That's rad, she's definitely a better player than I was at her age, and exponentially cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

thespaceinvader posted:

if we leave, under a putative labour-agreed withdrawal agreement, or we stay, then either is acceptable.

I think that was the plan. But suppose we stay - the Tories can then fight the next election promising to invoke Article 50 immediately and leave on the dot 2 years later, and they'd win easily, I think, if the Brexit Party stood down, since that is a lot more likely than the LibDems standing down. A Labour withdrawal really is the best we can hope for now, I'm afraid.