Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
As a person who makes bourbon day in and day out, Four Roses Small Batch is my everyday bourbon. The single barrel is a bit better but for $34 locally the Small Batch is an absolute steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Solice Kirsk posted:

$40-60 is a pretty great sweet spot. Off the top of my head:

Blantons
EH Taylor Small Batch
Four Roses Small Batch
Woodford Reserve Double Oak (may be just a bit above 60)
Elijah Craig 12 (one of my favorites)
Willett Pot Still
Larceny
Bernheim Wheat Whiskey (not a bourbon, but everyone should try it)

Thanks for the recommendations! I’m real big on Larceny, Four Roses, and Willett Pot Still (though that one is hard to find outside of the distillery). I’ll hafta hunt down the rest! Just did the Four Roses distillery tour a few weeks ago and the tasting convinced me to buy every single bottle they had there, lol.

Oh, I forgot to mention Angel’s Envy, that’s another solid bourbon too!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I tried that Popeye's chicken sandwich and found it to be worth every bit of buzz it's getting

Pappy is delicious. I used to indulge on a $40 glass of 23y every now and again but I have seen it around $150 to $200 a glass more recently.

EH Taylor, Four Roses, and hell, Eagle Rare are good enough for me now.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Y’all have already hit on most of my go-to bourbons (Blanton’s, EH Taylor Small Batch, Weller) but I’ll add Belle Meade and the Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style (it’s just over the 40-60$ range but it’s overproofed, once you water it down a bit you make up the extra $5 :D )
There are some really good ryes in that range too. I always have a bottle of Michter’s on hand, Willett’s doing a 4-year Family Estate rye that’s a steal if you can find it retail, and Russell Reserve is solid.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I tried that Popeye's chicken sandwich and found it to be worth every bit of buzz it's getting

First I’ve heard of it but Popeye’s is the best chain fried chicken so I’m into it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Belle Meade sherry cask finished is amazing, but sneaks over the $60 more often than not. Basil Hayden's is another good one, and you can usually find it for around $30-40. Most of my friends like Rowan's Creek, but I've never cared for it, but could be worth a try. A lot of the Russel's Reserves are good as well. I can talk bourbon/whiskey all day and night.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My old wallet got chewed up on the seam with the metallic Chase Sapphire Reserve card and instead of making a claim on their 100-year warranty just decided it was time to mix up the design:

Unfortunately, they only can monogram 3 letters, so couldn't satisfy my dream of doing it properly.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

TraderStav posted:

My old wallet got chewed up on the seam with the metallic Chase Sapphire Reserve card and instead of making a claim on their 100-year warranty just decided it was time to mix up the design:

Unfortunately, they only can monogram 3 letters, so couldn't satisfy my dream of doing it properly.

The large bifold is a lot less cumbersome. It's got a bigger footprint but that keeps it reasonably slim with the same number of cards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
saddleback sucks, trifolds suck, and that monogram sucks. I'm shop shaming you so hard.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
That bifold doesn't suck, it's not enough wallet for how much crap they're cramming into it. That one's probably gonna fail too.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I just got a trifold and I hate it so much

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Since we're on a theme, these came today:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bogatyr posted:

That bifold doesn't suck, it's not enough wallet for how much crap they're cramming into it. That one's probably gonna fail too.

I barely have anything in it. The money pouch creates an artificial thickness behind the cards. The wallet empty is open like that as the leather is still new. I have 4 cards in the slots and my license and medical card on the flap that is sticking up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gravitee posted:

Since we're on a theme, these came today:

You've done well.

er! Boom. loving nailed it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All Saddleback stuff is ridiculously overbuilt. Their small messenger bag can barely hold a 13" laptop because the lining is so thick and weighs 6 pounds even when it's empty. I kind of hate their stuff.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

All Saddleback stuff is ridiculously overbuilt. Their small messenger bag can barely hold a 13" laptop because the lining is so thick and weighs 6 pounds even when it's empty. I kind of hate their stuff.

Maybe on their briefcases. I've enjoyed their wallets. They don't last 100 years like they claim though.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

new ukulele

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Bronze coin of Trajan Decius. Killed by the Goths in 251 AD. First Roman emperor to be killed in battle by a barbarian army.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fayez Butts posted:

I just got a trifold and I hate it so much

I swapped my trifold out for a bifold Bellroy Hide and Seek around April and it's been a real game changer

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Once again this thread makes me want to buy really cool coins.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Rolo posted:

Once again this thread makes me want to buy really cool coins.

Ditto.

I usually settle for inexpensive replicas of cool old coins.

Re: wallet chat
It's not a "recent" purchase, but two or three years ago I bought one of those no-fold slim wallets and have never looked back. It's great for leaving my pockets light, and the limited space forces me to be economical about how many cards and junk I tote around. No more George Costanza potato-sized wad of a wallet for me!

I got a goofy looking cork one because why not? After a few months the cork aged and darkened a bit to look a bit more mellow.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
A new Japanese store opened up near work & I stopped by to check it out. They had a little cafe where I got a salmon onigiri & I picked up one of these for making tea later at work.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Oh my God these sunglasses are amazing. I'm going to see if I can try TV. I've liked a lot of his scents so this one might be up my alley.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Picked up one of these on Saturday…

…To make this on Sunday:

Lamb shoulder that I then smoked for 3 hours. Also smoked some eggplant and I think I found a nice bacon substitute.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

lol cut it out of the rope before cooking that soaks up all the flavor and juice you want in the bag. And just in case, don't cook in the grocery store packaging, they're pretty weakly glued or pressed and you don't want to eat that poo poo/clean glue water out of your sous vide.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I did seal it in another bag, but in my defense when I took the lamb out of the sous vide it was practically falling apart so I'm glad I left the trussing on.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Bottom Liner posted:

lol cut it out of the rope before cooking that soaks up all the flavor and juice you want in the bag. And just in case, don't cook in the grocery store packaging, they're pretty weakly glued or pressed and you don't want to eat that poo poo/clean glue water out of your sous vide.

When I've had to butcher porchettas or roulades and twined them up the twine is pretty key to keeping weird frankencuts together and it's not like they went in the fryer to finish with the twine on.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm a poor person but I like making cocktails at home so I bought the basic tools to do so.
Making whiskey sours is piss-easy and always delicious.

I excluded simple syrup in favor of a honey whiskey and ended up liking it a lot. I've purchased plenty of flavored whiskeys before and they run the range between "worse than cough medicine" to "hot drat I am drinking this every night.

For any whiskey snobs about to shop shame me:
I literally do not care about your opinions.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Honey whiskey in an old-fashioned you say?

Gotta try that. Sounds delightful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

When I've had to butcher porchettas or roulades and twined them up the twine is pretty key to keeping weird frankencuts together and it's not like they went in the fryer to finish with the twine on.

That's not an issue in a sous vide. The cuts can't fall apart when they're vacuum sealed lol.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I'm a poor person but I like making cocktails at home so I bought the basic tools to do so.
Making whiskey sours is piss-easy and always delicious

:colbert: what did you use for egg white? Protip they sell in-shell pasteurized eggs in some fancy grocery stores if you are worried about salmonella.

Which whisky did you use?

Home bartending is a great way to turn boring drinking into a hobby!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

I excluded simple syrup in favor of a honey whiskey and ended up liking it a lot. I've purchased plenty of flavored whiskeys before and they run the range between "worse than cough medicine" to "hot drat I am drinking this every night.

I put a touch of brown sugar in my rye Manhattans and I catch a bit of flak for that every now and then. It's loving delicious though and I don't care what anyone says.

If you wanna try an amazing flavored whiskey be on the look out for Cleveland's Christmas bourbon. I usually hate flavored whiskeys, but that one is worth every penny. I usually don't like Cleveland's stuff either. Just one of those weird things.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

H110Hawk posted:

:colbert: what did you use for egg white? Protip they sell in-shell pasteurized eggs in some fancy grocery stores if you are worried about salmonella.

Which whisky did you use?

Home bartending is a great way to turn boring drinking into a hobby!

I don't do the egg white. I had it that way once and it make me puke. Must've been a bad egg.

I just use the Seagram's Dark Honey. Cheap as hell and tastes great without being like syrup.

There's some brand thats called Bird Dog or something similar that tastes like rotten Sprees. I hate it so much.

Now that the weather will be getting colder (hopefully), I'll be making batches of apple pie cider made with everclear. Extremely potent, delicious and, weirdly enough, I've never had a hangover from it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Goodwill gold: a 15-year-old Schott 756 wool coat that looks like new, for $15

And a pair of Jordan Vs I might sell because they just don’t work on me sadly

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow you have the best luck at thrift stores.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rolo posted:

Wow you have the best luck at thrift stores.

I think it’s equal parts diligence, knowing what to look for, and going to a Goodwill in a town full of wealthy idiots.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Inzombiac posted:

KD and lemon lime Gatorade is a poor mans Whiskey sour. :colbert:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I broke up with my gf and as a result of her moving out I needed new locks. So I took the opportunity to upgrade to a smart deadbolt. I'll get to the entry knob eventually.

Also I bitched at my ISP and got a 4x speed boost

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bottom Liner posted:

That's not an issue in a sous vide. The cuts can't fall apart when they're vacuum sealed lol.

Sure can when you move them to the smoker later, as OP did.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Starting college on monday and I wanted a nice pen for taking notes.

Plus a sewing- and embroidery machine. I've never really used one before, so it'll be fun to learn together with my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
what kind of pen is it? looks cool.