Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sirotan posted:

And yeah looking at the full size image, its definitely some kind of handmade clay tiles with 964583043 tiny crevices in them.

Fill them with clear epoxy and the Polish the whole thing smooth.

Edit: I'm not fixing the autocorrect fuckup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Cool house but not for that price

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Sirotan posted:

And yeah looking at the full size image, its definitely some kind of handmade clay tiles with 964583043 tiny crevices in them.

Lol it definitely isn't

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It reminds me of a wastewater treatment plant. I like it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bring back old gbs posted:

My first reaction is that I love it but every minute I spend staring at it makes me question it more. Like the tile floor that is actually brick, or the elvis inspired dual-TV nook, or the ladder to the carpeted attic

Even though they ripped up the shag carpet(lol you know it was) I bet you can still smell it

Yeah that's my take too.

I really really like the exterior and the structural design but they made some choices on the interior furnishings

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Looks more like they removed the actual kitchen surface, and that’s just the random marks left in the thunder used underneath..?

Nothing some renovation wouldn’t fix - I’d love to live there. Not really compatible with my job though.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Note: the price is right for me, a Bay Area Californian, but not for you, someone who knows what Wisconsin is like in the winter and is eyeballing the brick, concrete, and glass structure

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mocking Bird posted:

Note: the price is right for me, a Bay Area Californian, but not for you, someone who knows what Wisconsin is like in the winter and is eyeballing the brick, concrete, and glass structure

Yeah, price looks preeeety good from a British point of view too.

Clearly though all these mid century modern architects were designing with a temperate northern Californian climate in mind though.

Single pane windows, little if any other insulation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I went over to a guy's house last night, he'd done his whole place in mid-century modern. Klipsch speakers and Atomic Starburst china pattern

It worked surprisingly well even if it was a bit jetsons-meets-space-age-bachelor-pad-music

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Sirotan posted:

First time you cut your finger over that it's going to summon an elder god.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

YamiNoSenshi posted:

First time you cut your finger over that it's going to summon an elder god.

Cue the JoJo ending

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I want to a) know how this is done and b) then do it myself.

The covers are Finnish editions of Donald Duck magazine from the 1960s. :3:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

barbecue at the folks posted:

A big sheet of polycarbonate or glass?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mocking Bird posted:

I'd be nervous about that 50 year old flat roof which has undoubtedly leaked from snow melt.

Thass a goofy motif. God I'd hope it's not sheet glass. If it was tempered they'd have had to make the plumbing cutouts prior to tempering- very custom custom.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

Thass a goofy motif.

No, it's a Donald motif.

Mr. Mambold posted:

God I'd hope it's not sheet glass. If it was tempered they'd have had to make the plumbing cutouts prior to tempering- very custom custom.

Good point, I forgot about the cutouts. Though there seem to be a bunch of companies these days doing that sort of custom work on the regular, I see a lot of them espousing the wonder of glass backsplashes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

No, it's a Donald motif.

Good point, I forgot about the cutouts. Though there seem to be a bunch of companies these days doing that sort of custom work on the regular, I see a lot of them espousing the wonder of glass backsplashes.

I don't see why poly wouldn't work. A 4" backsplash or even 18" is a world of different hazard from a full sheet of potential heavy razors in a shower.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I would wonder if it were perhaps encased in poured resin or something, like a bar top. Build a board that way then stick it up. Or even just plaster the, uhh, documents, up on the wall, and then paint over them a few times with a resin clear coat.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

I don't see why poly wouldn't work. A 4" backsplash or even 18" is a world of different hazard from a full sheet of potential heavy razors in a shower.

Their specific gimmick is filling the wall as much as you would with tile. But yeah, I'd assume poly. Though plenty of custom glass goes into shower stalls with cutouts for handles and hinges.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

wooger posted:

Yeah, price looks preeeety good from a British point of view too.

the price is a little high for a two bedroom in an exurban/rural area and with what is probably a hidden $50k in renovation work. that roof is deeply suspicious given visible ceiling damage in one of the pics

e: i'd also get the best home inspector i could find, with that much concrete and the house sold as-is there could be something horrifying lurking in the structure. wisconsin has a winter climate similar to poland or southern sweden so there could be some freeze/thaw damage in there if the house wasn't properly maintained

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 26, 2019

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

That's a weird totem to charge your JO crystals with, but whatever, it's their shower.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mocking Bird posted:

Please admire this and tell me how this is somehow meant for human habitation

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6905-Sconfinato-Dr-Hartford-WI-53027/40581560_zpid/

~**the price is right**~~

How should we stage this place to really show it off? Just a kitchen table and 4 chairs, right?
Don't be stupid. We also need 3 lamps.
You're a genius!

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Facebook Aunt posted:

How should we stage this place to really show it off? Just a kitchen table and 4 chairs, right?
Don't be stupid. We also need 3 lamps.
You're a genius!

The vibe is ok, but they really should have included a scoliotic figure in a 1920's halloween mask partially hidden behind the outdoor sculpture to seal the deal. If I'm to eventually fling myself off the tower and run nude into the dark woods I want to at least get a sense of the hallucination that precedes the breakdown.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bring back old gbs posted:

My first reaction is that I love it but every minute I spend staring at it my eyeballs are driven from my skull by HDRI

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

oh god
I don't know the source but someone described this as a 'meat plaza'.

It looks so succulent.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It doesn't matter how much my logical brain keeps saying "it's a pretty rock" part of me hears the cold wet squelch when you sit on it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Some of those are definitely 1980s (you can tell by the "signature", and also I remember them). Also it's done like this:

1) build bathroom
2) waterproof
3) glue covers to wall
4) lacquer five times
5) install 100-kg glass with cut-outs for plumbing
6) seal

e: Personally I would leave out the glass as it serves no purpose except long-time protection (which isn't necessary because no-one'll want to look at that for several decades) but your tits have to be real sharp to scratch the shower wall.

ee: That "Christmas Parade" in the lower left corner from 1983 was dope poo poo: all Barks.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 27, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Glass is great because it’s hard to scratch and easy to clean.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
The dumbest thing about that wall is that it's all covers. He could have used a single issue and put up the interior pages in order so that you could read the comic on the shower wall.

Well, until you turn on the shower, but the cover version has the same problem.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Also it should be the one where Donald bets his house that he'll swim in the ice during winter:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Enchanted Hat posted:

The dumbest thing about that wall is that it's all covers. He could have used a single issue and put up the interior pages in order so that you could read the comic on the shower wall.

Well, until you turn on the shower, but the cover version has the same problem.

Ah but you see they are all issues from 1969 (his birth year) and 1983 (her birth year).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So how long have they been married?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Platystemon posted:

Glass is great because it’s hard to scratch and easy to clean.

Yea I was going to say this is why it's there. Also they didnt glue the covers to the wall and they definitely didnt lacquer it in place. Generally people use polyurethane, like boat tables.

Also where is this odd fear of glass in the shower coming from?? Yall dont have glass shower doors where you're from?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

So how long have they been married?

I don't know, I'm just reading the article, not stalking them.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBq89b9ZRQw

I follow Never Too Small, but I don't usually agree with a lot of the design decisions or aesthetics they go for. Today they posted a video of an apartment I one million percent love and could see myself living in. It has amazing things like a guest bedroom, art studio, a functional kitchen, lots of storage, MANY PLANTS, and a color palette that reminds me of every episode of Columbo. Now you can be your cool retired bachelor art teacher!

I also cant watch too much Never Too Small without feeling bad about the giant waste of space that is my own apartment. It's fairly big, but a bit weird. We're only here for another year. If we were gonna stick around, I'd be doing so much funky stuff to this place.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 27, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yea I was going to say this is why it's there. Also they didnt glue the covers to the wall and they definitely didnt lacquer it in place. Generally people use polyurethane, like boat tables.

Also where is this odd fear of glass in the shower coming from?? Yall dont have glass shower doors where you're from?

Goons are scared of everything.

Everything.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

cakesmith handyman posted:

hear the cold wet squelch when you sit on it.

title

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

I follow Never Too Small, but I don't usually agree with a lot of the design decisions or aesthetics they go for. Today they posted a video of an apartment I one million percent love and could see myself living in. It has amazing things like a guest bedroom, art studio, a functional kitchen, lots of storage, MANY PLANTS, and a color palette that reminds me of every episode of Columbo. Now you can be your cool retired bachelor art teacher!

I also cant watch too much Never Too Small without feeling bad about the giant waste of space that is my own apartment. It's fairly big, but a bit weird. We're only here for another year. If we were gonna stick around, I'd be doing so much funky stuff to this place.

Soaker-tub cum shower. Maybe there are some words you shouldn't use that phrasing with. Cum shower being near the top of that list.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

I love everything about this except for the mini fridge - clearly a dude that doesn't believe in cooking, basically doesn't even have a freezer it seems? Art > nutrition

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Enchanted Hat posted:

He could have used a single issue and put up the interior pages in order so that you could read the comic on the shower wall.

think carefully about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mocking Bird posted:

I love everything about this except for the mini fridge - clearly a dude that doesn't believe in cooking, basically doesn't even have a freezer it seems? Art > nutrition

That was pretty much the only thing I would change. Full tall fridge and a pantry. Nix the dishwasher for a bigger sink and storage.