Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, for me, the whole point is that it might actually be a pretty bad metric. Like, do you know it does the job, or have you just decided that being pro-environment is non-fash without evidence? You don't even have to use compassion as your motivator, an environmentalist tendency might just as well be driven by a reactionary hatred of progress, and you wanting a nice natural world you can escape into to get away from all these awful degenerates.

Yes, I know from a lifetime of interacting with other human beings that the ones that give a poo poo about the environment and animals tend to be the ones that give a poo poo about other people. I cant give you the p-value on that one but it's been so readily apparent at all times in my 34 years on this blasted pissworld that I take it as a pretty solid working heuristic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Tesseraction posted:

Also comrades is it just my part of the UK currently at 32+ celcius or are you just not talking about it because I missed you doing so while skipping pages to catch up?

It's just as bad on the vile continent, but it still feels better than the 40+ from last month, so I dunno.

Plus it's supposed to be over Wednesday night.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've worked in conservation for years and almost everyone I work with is a pro-environment leftie bastard.

Occasional exceptions tend to me the management ladder-climber types who just see pound symbols when they realise that you can sometimes get money for improving the environment.

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 26, 2019

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I have come across the eco-fash types in Norway FWIW. The kind that fetishize 'returning to the wilderness', which is also curiously and coincidentally free of anyone who fails the paper bag test.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Also comrades is it just my part of the UK currently at 32+ celcius or are you just not talking about it because I missed you doing so while skipping pages to catch up?

I'm in my bedroom with my ac unit on :smuggo:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Re: proper metal bands, I like Tormentress

There's also Castrator and Satanarchist. Oh and Nervosa

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Ratjaculation posted:

I've worked in conservation for years and almost everyone I work with is a pro-environment leftie bastard.

Unlike a lot (but definitely not all) farmers, who really are purebreed Tory.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Junior G-man posted:

Unlike a lot (but definitely not all) farmers, who really are purebreed Tory.

Wouldn't want to ruin the pedigree by outcrossing.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Having just moved to singapore and it's 70% humidity, I assure you however bad the UK is it could be much worse.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Just spent an hour lying on the bed and staring at the ceiling hoping it would cool down. Now gonna make ravioli.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Just spent an hour lying on the bed and staring at the ceiling hoping it would cool down. Now gonna become ravioli.

Ftfy

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Plaid Cymru have reportedly pulled out of backing Labour's plan of a new referendum with remain on the ballot, in favour of, presumably, Swindon's swivel-eyed third unspecified option.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

feedmegin posted:

I ordered an AC unit after that 40 degree day and it is just seeing its first use now. It's lovely

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I too have been basking in the pleasance of an AC unit.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Having just moved to singapore and it's 70% humidity, I assure you however bad the UK is it could be much worse.

I'll give you a quid if you graffiti on a building

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Vlex posted:

I have come across the eco-fash types in Norway FWIW. The kind that fetishize 'returning to the wilderness', which is also curiously and coincidentally free of anyone who fails the paper bag test.

Same. I think I posted a couple weeks ago about running into an ecologist who went on an entirely unprompted rant that began with protecting environmental diversity and ended with loving great replacement shite. In a city which is around 98% white, although I guess he did include Russians and Poles in the threat to "Norwegian culture". Never mind that this area is all historically Sápmi.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Nothing adds character to a property quite like a big, crudely drawn cock and balls.

They're much fancier in Bhutan (possibly :nws: - drawings of willies), I learned from watching an educational documentary programme on my television one time.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

big scary monsters posted:

Same. I think I posted a couple weeks ago about running into an ecologist who went on an entirely unprompted rant
It's kinda crazy when you run into a person like that. Like, it's clearly something they do on the regular, and they get so little push-back on their ideas that they just keep doing it. I still recall my (at the time all-new first time I met him) neighbor extolling the virtues of Assad gassing his people because the Arab was inherently barbaric and only had two modes - the cowed slave and the free savage, and the latter was a threat to all mankind. I have to imagine most people either agree with him or politely try to truth is in the middle him and say that Arabs could potentially be civilized with Western help.

big scary monsters posted:

that began with protecting environmental diversity and ended with loving great replacement shite. In a city which is around 98% white, although I guess he did include Russians and Poles in the threat to "Norwegian culture". Never mind that this area is all historically Sápmi.
White people are afraid of the great replacement because we know it's possible - first we did it in Europe, then we took it to the Americas. Plus the people who are the most afraid of it would do it to the rest of the world in a heartbeat.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

I'm assuming that's a mistake, as it makes no political sense whatsoever for the SNP to stop a GE from happening.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spend the last four hours doing laps under the pier at saltburn beach.

Sea was like a mirror, utterly divine.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1166031932632776705?s=19

Fuckin lib dems man

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

I too have been basking in the pleasance of an AC unit.

I really don't think it was necessary to dig up donald pleasence's corpse and put your AC unit inside of it.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Neckbeard Deathcamp are good antifa metal lads although their titles are better than their actual music:
Zyklon /b/
The Fetishization ov Asian Women Despite a Demand for a Pure White Race

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I walked round to see my Mum today, not too far but really loving hot, and I was sweating like the fat, unfit piece of poo poo I am.

She wasn't there (after 3 means you'll be there at 3:20 mother!)

Sat in the park nearby for ten minutes and tried again - she was there! Been out walking the dog.

Had a nice chat.

I like my Mum.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feedmegin posted:

and where do u think I posted my question

can only get it to rate my room at an ambient 24 at best before it starts to hover back to 6

guess I'm just........ h0t

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's kinda crazy when you run into a person like that. Like, it's clearly something they do on the regular, and they get so little push-back on their ideas that they just keep doing it. I still recall my (at the time all-new first time I met him) neighbor extolling the virtues of Assad gassing his people because the Arab was inherently barbaric and only had two modes - the cowed slave and the free savage, and the latter was a threat to all mankind. I have to imagine most people either agree with him or politely try to truth is in the middle him and say that Arabs could potentially be civilized with Western help.
Yeah, more or less. I've certainly heard a lot more causal and open racism here than in the UK, for some reason people assume that as a white Brit I'll agree with them that Muslims are ruining Oslo, and are pretty taken aback when I don't. :iiam:

e: Oslo is pretty dull to be fair, but I don't think the reason is "too much cultural diversity".

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 26, 2019

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Summer can gently caress off now, as can the Lib Dems Tory Lampreys.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

By the by apparently you St. Andrew worshipping heathens didn't have a day off today?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tesseraction posted:

By the by apparently you St. Andrew worshipping heathens didn't have a day off today?

Noncing never takes a rest.

OwlFancier posted:

I really don't think it was necessary to dig up donald pleasence's corpse and put your AC unit inside of it.

Oh he's not dead. I kidnapped him in anticipation of needing an AC repairman.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 26, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

We had a bank holiday earlier in August. First Monday of August is the usual one up here for summer.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pretty crazy that Boris Johnson wants to sign a trade deal with a raging antisemite. At least corbyn only met with them and didn't make official government policy and positions with them. - The papers, never, because the press in this country is absolute dogshit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

We had a bank holiday earlier in August. First Monday of August is the usual one up here for summer.

Ahh, so this is revenge-smuggery for the rest of us.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I imagine a lot of people didn't have the day off today.

When I worked in a factory, bank holidays were just another day.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

Pretty crazy that Boris Johnson wants to sign a trade deal with a raging antisemite. At least corbyn only met with them and didn't make official government policy and positions with them. - The papers, never, because the press in this country is absolute dogshit.

I have to admit due to Family Matters I have been entirely unplugged from politics this weekend, what fresh hell awaits us?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Tesseraction posted:

I have to admit due to Family Matters I have been entirely unplugged from politics this weekend, what fresh hell awaits us?

You voted leave, so this is all your fault!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Drone_Fragger posted:

Please take a moment to imagine the media if Corbyn had said that Jews voting for his political opponents showed great disloyalty to Israel and the Jewish religion.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

LMFAO I don't know if you guys remember the semi-AI-generated Theresa May speech I did a while back.

A new version of some text-generation AI has just been released, and somebody has made a website where you enter in the first and last sentence of a passage of text, give it an approximate length to work to and it'll generate the middle.

I tried it out (my start and end text in Bold):

quote:

There are many different kinds of crisps available in the UK. They're not all of the same quality, and most don't actually taste like crisps at all — it's all about flavour! In the UK, you might see an array of flavours on shelves, such as BBQ chicken and a hot dog, but in Canada the variety is very limited. So why isn't it just the Hot Sauce variety? What's in the Munch that makes them so drat hard to get? The flavours of meat crisps come into it naturally — they're a whole meal, with plenty of flavour. But meat is a really expensive commodity, and some people don't believe it can be made safe and convenient until it's consumed by someone who has health concerns. That's where the Flaming Hot Hot Monster Munch come in. They contain more flavour than most chips, and not only that, they've got really fancy name too — FLICKM-POW-POW!

And that's why Flaming Hot Monster Munch are the best flavour.

*Art Attack voice*: Try it yourself: https://www.ai21.com/haim

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 26, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dead Goon posted:

I imagine a lot of people didn't have the day off today.

When I worked in a factory, bank holidays were just another day.

My old job on out of hours for an IT support desk was great because most people got the day off but we had to work it. Which really loving rules when you've got a team of 5 people doing the job of 60 people because some of your clients are things like train companies and say for example. national record shop chains which don't loving close down on bank holidays. I really wanted bank holidays abolished.

Tesseraction posted:

Ahh, so this is revenge-smuggery for the rest of us.

I assume the date differences are because Scottish schools have been back for a week or two now and having a bank holiday that soon into the start of term would be dumb.

The best part is that we call them bank holidays but most banks follow the English bank holiday calendar.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 26, 2019

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've never had a job where bank holidays weren't just another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

WhatEvil posted:

LMFAO I don't know if you guys remember the semi-AI-generated Theresa May speech I did a while back.

A new version of some text-generation AI has just been released, and somebody has made a website where you enter in the first and last sentence of a passage of text, give it an approximate length to work to and it'll generate the middle.

I tried it out (my start and end text in Bold):

*Art attack voice*: Try it yourself: https://www.ai21.com/haim

FLAMIN' HOT MONSTER MUNCH