Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

By the by apparently you St. Andrew worshipping heathens didn't have a day off today?
I used my bank holiday to fit a new cooker cable and main earth to the outside of the house, because the old one was falling to bits and I ordered all the stuff the week before last in anticipation of a cloudy lovely late August.

I drank a full 2L of cherryade and have not passed water.

:tif:

feedmegin posted:

I'm going to need a cite on this one, mate. Note that repealing specifically laws on religion != abolishing all laws passed during someone's reign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Statute_of_Repeal

'The First Statute of Repeal was an Act of the Parliament of England (1 Mary, st. 2, c. 2), passed in 1553 in the first Parliament of Mary I of England's reign, nullified all religious legislation passed under the previous monarch'

1660 was an exception because the Republic was specifically viewed as illegitimate by Charles II (big surprise). That isn't true elsewhere in history. I think we can deal without whatever changes have recently been made to the governance of the Church of England, no?
The Treason Act 1547 made in the first year of Ed. VI had the effect of overturning every new felony created by Henry VIII, that was a deliberate decision.

Mary's repeals were religious, but that covered everything from blasphemy to buggery to other social issues not beginning with B, it wasn't just about the height of bishop's hats.

New king, who dis, and throwing out a whole bunch of the past monarch's laws was popular around then, and by comparison Cameron and Clegg's supposed Great Repeal of Gordon Brown's supposed legislative diarrhoea was a damp shart.

I really can't see Charles (or George VII or whatever he calls himself) nullifying all felonies created since 1952 in the same way, because the function of the Crown is just a continuity corporation now. Although I'll piss myself laughing if he accidentally annuls all the drug and terror Acts. I'll need to drink more water first though.

e; In 2008 the Lib Dems accuse New Labour of creating 3,600 new ways for ordinary people to be criminals and vow to repeal them if elected. However, in exchange for a 5p tax on plastic bags...

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

WhatEvil posted:

LMFAO I don't know if you guys remember the semi-AI-generated Theresa May speech I did a while back.

A new version of some text-generation AI has just been released, and somebody has made a website where you enter in the first and last sentence of a passage of text, give it an approximate length to work to and it'll generate the middle.

I tried it out (my start and end text in Bold):

*Art Attack voice*: Try it yourself: https://www.ai21.com/haim

Me, in the Guardian posted:

Why didn't you stop Brexit Jeremy? Because you're the guy who is leading us down a dark road, to be honest. It's not fair. That was a pretty loving good idea that we just didn't seem to understand. I had forgotten the concept of being a progressive when I started, and I feel sorry for a lot of people who are being told they're voting to be left behind, they didn't even realise it was a new thing to say. Did Brexit scare you? Did you feel that Britain was on the precipice of a revolution? [Laughs] My girlfriend really did, at that time. For us that feeling was more akin to something that could happen in another kind of time. Brexit brought a lot of the people who had supported you in your political career to the fore. As a political party, have you felt that as a result of your anti-austerity stance and your general anti-establishment reputation? It's not just about Brexit: there's a lot of other things that have happened recently... I think the whole financial crisis in 2008 – which caused the real estate boom in the United States, as well as the housing bust in the UK.

And that's why we now live in a Mad Max style wasteland.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

marktheando posted:

I've never had a job where bank holidays weren't just another day.

We recently swapped from having Bank Holidays to just having more holiday days, just 3 mandatory ones when the office closes. It's way better that way round.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do we really need journalists any more?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

Do we really need journalists any more?

Is there any evidence the Telegraph and Mail haven't already been using this for years?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

That AI is a comrade:

quote:

All history heretofore has been the history of class struggle, as well as of power and capital at least. In this context, if the class struggle is to be brought to an end, we need to find a way in that revolution to end the war, rather than fight it for the sake of it, especially if that war means the death of a great number of people. We must come to understand that the war in Vietnam and the US invasion of Iraq were part of the same historical and political epoch, that the collapse of communist centralism and the liberation struggles that followed led to the rise of the imperialist right-wing, that the defeat of those movements meant the fall of communist communist governments, and so on it

and that is why we must have jam communism

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

WhatEvil posted:

quote:

"Oi!" shouted Phil Mitchell at nobody in particular. "Get out of the loving office. You're taking part in an attack on the Labour party, an attack on this Labour party's very existence." The video ends with a shouting match between all the men but a young woman with blackface and a black, bearded man. As the debate continued, the camera angle shifted dramatically to show the two men were wearing an identical black face which was covered in what looked like a wig. When the woman said: "You want to say that this woman's racist?" he shouted back: "I don't want to say that, you're just a racist you lazy b**g!

This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn.

:erm:

not even gonna post the first one I got (it's about Rotherham and also looks like libel)

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Junior G-man posted:

That AI is a comrade:
*sniff*

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Welcome to Brexit Britain, the proudest nation on earth.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlanDuncanMP/status/1165604968675663872
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlanDuncanMP/status/1165605580624551936
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlanDuncanMP/status/1165606757579788288
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlanDuncanMP/status/1165607601972883456
Greetings fellow human, can I interest you in some delicious :byodood:MELTON MOWBRAY MELTONMOWBRAYMELTONMELTONMOWBRAYYYYYYYYYY:byodood: pork pies?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhatEvil posted:

My debut article for Spiked Online:

The elite experts would have you believe that stapling your dick to your balls is a bad idea, but not the average person. They don't want to pay an extra 5 cents to have an STD. And there's very little they'll say that you'll think "Yeah, that's actually a good idea. There's no need to try it. I like what I'm doing." Even if you do try to "try it the wrong way", chances are you'll fail (or at least experience some sort of bodily damage in the process). What exactly are these "rules" that you need to adhere to as a man in order to be a decent man? Is the penis some sort of "law"?

Let's embrace democracy and find out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sir alan dumbdumb

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Not going to lie, I'd loving love it if they sold melton mowbrays here. I suspect the reason they don't though is that nobody else wants any.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

vom pies aren't that bad but you can get better at basically any independent butchers.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Okay I tried to see how blatantly it cribs from current articles and

quote:

Brexit is imperative to defeat neoliberalism. This is what the right and the left must agree on: First, the referendum campaign, in this form, must have an unequivocal message. That the British people voted to leave the European Union. That this means a new political and economic order, in which everyone, including the oligarchy, share the benefits. The European Convention on Human Rights is urgently needed for the British people's wellbeing – a protection to safeguard their human rights. In other words, the Brexit referendum must be a referendum on the current state of British democracy, its constitution, and its future in Europe. Read more:

by Paul Mason

lmao

I did not add the "Read more:"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
gonna be hilarious when some company starts making knockoff "Melton Mowbray pork pies" and the official makers can't do gently caress all about it because the protection laws are only valid inside the EU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jedit posted:

Would the BXP stand down, though? The BXP is Farage, and Farage would be just as content raking in racist cash to support the constant struggle to Brexit as he would be actually doing it.

But he might be even more content to be handsomely bribed. Less uncertainty.

radmonger posted:

More importantly, if Labour, given a full term, can’t improve people’s lives enough that they no longer want to burn everything down, then what’s the point of them anyway?

If having lives improved by Labour inevitably made people vote for them, the boomers would be inexplicable. But under FPTP the presence or absence of third parties parties is more important than what people want, anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SINCE YOU'rE here DICKHeADAM. I need a lot of your time this mornin. This mordant poem is written by A man for all For you who live this life DARKER, the poem accepts I believe in the power away With the army with the knowledge and the prayer with the attainment that it is the last albatross and something that was gone for real and that was the kingdom A king had the last standing A king will don

and thets why you need tog ive the guarnaida all of your m,oney

Wanted: guardian begging text.

Got: myspace poetry.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is Alan Duncan joking?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

LMAO you can even have that thing write poo poo that makes more sense than the actual Jordan Peterson, the Meat Professor:

quote:

Lobsters carve out mini empires on the ocean floor around the world. The crust is tough but the hard-edged rocks create the "breathing space" that allows lobsters to move their food around. We think of women as housewives and hunters, but most of the seafood in the ocean is eaten by other animals, from marine turtles to fish. So now it's time for the first time that anyone has thought about this idea of women being at the center of a society. We're talking about a woman's role in human society. It's the same situation as a man's in traditional societies, except that women are not king or emperor.

Women must submit to natural hierarchy

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Anti Fascist music chat, My sons went to see Prophets of rage at the Shepard's bush Empire a few weeks ago and said it was fantastic, They were right at the front of the pit moshing out to a Rage against the machine, Public enemy and Cyprus Hill greatest hits session.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM ALT WITH THE SENSITIVE BOARD AND BEGIN THE MORNING WITH BEAT AND IT IS GREAT! CALLING THE MORNING COIL UP, YOUNG MONSTER THIS IS THE LAST LIGHTTHOUSE AND EACH ONE IS FOR YOU! YOU WILL BE A NARUTAI ROYALE! FOR YOU BECAUSE YOU CAN GET OUT OF THIS! AND ON YOU WILL EVERY MORNING MAKE THE MORNING GO WITHOUT A TOUCH!!

THEN I LIft

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Apraxin posted:

Greetings fellow human, can I interest you in some delicious :byodood:MELTON MOWBRAY MELTONMOWBRAYMELTONMELTONMOWBRAYYYYYYYYYY:byodood: pork pies?

The only people pushing a meat product this obsessively are the cannibals who made it.

quote:

Great news that our Prime Minister has singled out Melton Mowbray pork pies as a target for inclusion in a trade deal with the US. This is good news for our pork pie and pork pie fans alike. The good news was that the Government is now looking for a way to sell pork pies – and to have the pigs in pies. And not just a bit of sauce. Pies are currently produced in the US and can be sold in about 100 countries worldwide! So how will we feed our pigs? Well it turns out we can get them to eat bacon, that is. We get them in the form of a "beans" sandwich that contains five to 10% pork, which are then sesame milk, cumin, and turmeric.

US get ready for good eat-in in all US towns!

AI predicting we'll do a Foot and Mouth and Beans up Backsides repeat with pigs this time around, which I have to say sounds extremely likely post-Brexit.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

So how will we feed our pigs? Well it turns out we can get them to eat bacon, that is.

A post-Brexit future we can all get behind!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What has happened to sensible politics? There are no better examples of this than in the Labour Party. This doesn't mean that any of my comrades are left-wing fascists. I don't believe that is the case. The left has nothing in common with the right at all: there's barely even any commonality in any of the three most extreme anti-democratic tendencies – and certainly nothing to do with the most extreme anti-democratic elements within the Labour Party. All of the political positions that are on show are absolutely ridiculous and ludicrous. It's a question of how far-fetched are people's ideas of what fascism is.

Maybe the truth is in the middle.

:eyepop:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The human centipede but with pigs.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Rarity posted:

What has happened to sensible politics? There are no better examples of this than in the Labour Party. This doesn't mean that any of my comrades are left-wing fascists. I don't believe that is the case. The left has nothing in common with the right at all: there's barely even any commonality in any of the three most extreme anti-democratic tendencies – and certainly nothing to do with the most extreme anti-democratic elements within the Labour Party. All of the political positions that are on show are absolutely ridiculous and ludicrous. It's a question of how far-fetched are people's ideas of what fascism is.

Maybe the truth is in the middle.

:eyepop:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Why is he trying to make his name synonymous with the cockney rhyming slang for lies

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Apraxin posted:

P O R K - M A R K E T S

E:

I wish I knew how to edit gifs because I want a version of this where she just keeps sliding off to the left.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 26, 2019

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

quote:

Who the hell even is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson? His appearance in the show is a mere cameo played for three episodes, all of which are set in the early 20th century. His role is limited to making the news out of nothing more than a handshake, but it's definitely not in any way an attempt to get attention. He's not even a real person. It's just a bunch of "real" people having fun. Just a few actors making out with each other while the rest of the cast keeps their composure. As if all of that weren't enough, you have to think the casting director is looking for something much more important from the show this season.

What is the world coming to?

:tinfoil:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I got my dick stuck in the grauniad again today, as I'm so close to dying. I feel sick, but I'm trying, so I'm not going to stop. God help me, I've never felt like this until tonight. He's on the floor with blood dripping from him, and when my body's trying to keep up with the pain, I'm starting to sweat and vomit. I can feel it coming up my leg. When I start to scream and start pounding, it gets harder. Finally, my feet give out, and I just drop my pants and run back into the room, screaming to my husband that I've just died.

please help my unborn children are dying

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

The only people pushing a meat product this obsessively are the cannibals who made it.

AI predicting we'll do a Foot and Mouth and Beans up Backsides repeat with pigs this time around, which I have to say sounds extremely likely post-Brexit.
Great news that our Prime Minister has cumin pigs.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Guavanaut posted:

Is the penis some sort of "law"?

I don't know if this is poetry or philosophy but that AI definitely understands humanity

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Apraxin posted:

Feel like I've just had a stroke. What the gently caress is going on?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

LMAO you can even have that thing write poo poo that makes more sense than the actual Jordan Peterson, the Meat Professor:

I'm really sad the Jorp voice-synthesiser has gone offline. I had great fun feeding it overwrought fantasy-epigraphs to read.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

The Treason Act 1547 made in the first year of Ed. VI had the effect of overturning every new felony created by Henry VIII, that was a deliberate decision

You have this regarding SOME criminal, not civil, laws by notorious psychopath Henry VIII and what you admit only applies to some specifically religion based offences from Mary's reign. It's OK to just admit you were wrong, you know,. Deleting previous monarchs' entire legislative record just wasn't a thing.

Also I think you'll find the changes to blasphemy, buggery etc are mostly just substituting king for pope then back again rather than anything substantive.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 26, 2019

SankeX
Oct 26, 2011

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Bobby Deluxe posted:

P O R K - M A R K E T S

E:

I wish I knew how to edit gifs because I want a version of this where she just keeps sliding off to the left.

Kind of a low effort version, but here's one where she just keeps sliding

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Noice.

WhatEvil posted:

Jeremy Corbyn is a Jam-type pokémon exclusive to the Kanto region. His main form is called "Jam-type pokémon". He wears the same colors as the pokémon of his main "Jam-type" type. He can use many Pokémon Moves (such as Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Ground Smash) and a variety of attacks. He is also a very skilled and well-liked pokémon trainer due to his willingness to challenge any player of any level.

He also has a variety of moves and attacks. is a Jam-type pokémon exclusive to the Kanto region. His main form is called "Jam-type pokémon". He was available as an unlockable character in Super Smash Bros Deluxe.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Angry videogame man Jim Sterling has finally revealed himself as a true comrade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HNQ7ysT4MA

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ms Adequate posted:

Hahaha I tried doing one with some quotes from those tweets but I guess I didn't use the right ones because mine weren't as good as this. That is very UKMT. Love the beans part.

E:

quote:

It's all this Brexit stuff, I'm worried about the implications. There is no Brexit. Nobody is saying it's going to go away. Nobody is saying it's going to go away. The question is what the impact is. The reality, I mean in my experience, is there is nobody who's going to change their mind about Brexit – that's the biggest con of all time; it's going to end up like a fire and nothing will change except people not knowing. There's been a lot of people around the world who are going to be saying, "Let's give up and take off for America." (Laughs)

Heh heh... and now I'm going to fire my beans up your backside...

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

You have this regarding SOME criminal, not civil, laws by notorious psychopath Henry VIII and what you admit only applies to some specifically religion based offences from Mary's reign. It's OK to just admit you were wrong, you know,. Deleting previous monarchs' entire legislative record just wasn't a thing.
Ed. VI's Treason Act seems to imply that every single felony signed off by Henry VIII was removed entirely, that sounds far more broad than just removing some criminal laws, was that not the case?

feedmegin posted:

Also I think you'll find the changes to blasphemy, buggery etc are mostly just substituting king for pope then back again rather than anything substantive.
The Catholic ones tended to remove them entirely and leave them as a matter for the Ecclesiastical Courts. You're right that from the view of the target of those laws the biggest change was the hat of the person condemning them, and what type of person was likely to be condemned, but it's still a ping pong of repealing chunks of the last monarch's legislation only for the next monarch to reenact it.

I guess the reason why there's so many different Treason Acts over the era is that the one thing that a monarch really doesn't want is people saying the specific way that you came to power is illegitimate.