Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TraderStav posted:

Is this the same guy, or at least same species, that stabbed him through the heart? Those guys are so loving metal that it was so uncharacteristic for Star Trek. (Jean-luc was also loving metal laughing at him with the blade sticking out of his chest)

The guys who stabbed Picard were Nausicaans, this guy is something else. Real similar though, they both have nonsensical mouth tusk things and Van Halen hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The guys who stabbed Picard were Nausicaans, this guy is something else. Real similar though, they both have nonsensical mouth tusk things and Van Halen hair.

His rad as hell hair and tusks are the main reasons I like him.

Also I love imposter Picard in this episode. Leading everyone in song, going on a date with Beverley.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

TraderStav posted:

Is this the same guy, or at least same species, that stabbed him through the heart? Those guys are so loving metal that it was so uncharacteristic for Star Trek. (Jean-luc was also loving metal laughing at him with the blade sticking out of his chest)

No, different guys. I'm sure they party together frequently, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grand Fromage posted:

I think Federations just find it difficult to imagine why anyone who had the option wouldn't want to live in their glorious perfect utopia where everything is definitely perfect all the time.
I mean you could flip the critique around, "they have an obligation to provide all of their bounty to everyone because to do otherwise is like denying people food and measles vaccines." At a certain point becomes, "anything other than perfection is wrong."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

marktheando posted:

Sticking to the subject of alien makeup design, I’m now onto “Allegiance,” the one where Picard is kidnapped, replaced with a duplicate, and locked up with a few aliens.

And I love this guy, he looks awesome-

I love this episode a lot. My favorite part is that the impostor Picard makes an honest effort to be like the real one, but enough is different to see that something is off.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I like the design of the new Andorians, but I don't like that they decided to downpitch their voices for some reason

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

marktheando posted:

Sticking to the subject of alien makeup design, I’m now onto “Allegiance,” the one where Picard is kidnapped, replaced with a duplicate, and locked up with a few aliens.

And I love this guy, he looks awesome-

that episode ends in such a weird way. with how frightening their confinement of the 3 innocent people to run an experiment, and taking over control of the ship and putting the crew at harm -- right up to one minute of picard trapping the comical-in-person aliens in a forcefield and talking down to them like they're naughty children. the dramatic intensity just drops off a cliff right at the end of the episode.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

That was actually awesome because for once the superior god beings got a taste of their own goddamn medicine

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I did not know this until now, but Up the Long Ladder was intended as an immigration story. Instead Maurice Hurley wanted the Space Irish.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That episode sure doesn't fit with the later episodes where they try to be so respectful of other cultures. They're all "Ugh, you barbarian Irish with your fire and livestock. Bleh, you goddamn filthy clone-people. Both of you need to abandon your societal norms because we think that's better for you."

It's a neat episode in a few ways, but it sure is a tonal shift from all those episodes where they're walking on eggshells for the sake of not offending or interfering. Maybe it would've felt less odd if the original commentary was intact and the Enterprise crew was repulsed for non-future sci fi reasons.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always like when they have to do something the old-fashioned way because something breaks and it's kind of a culture shock, like Neelix turning Janeways private dining room into a Galley because due to power issues they need to start cooking with hydroponically grown ingredients, or when the doctor in TNG talks someone through making a splint because the other methods are not functioning.

I'd love to see something like a Vulcan with a dislocated arm, in a situation where the medical equipment is failing, taken aback when the human doctor is just like "Ah, I'll just pop it back in... shove-crack" The Vulcan's emotional control being totally overrridden with this emoticon: :gonk:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

BioEnchanted posted:

I always like when they have to do something the old-fashioned way because something breaks and it's kind of a culture shock, like Neelix turning Janeways private dining room into a Galley because due to power issues they need to start cooking with hydroponically grown ingredients, or when the doctor in TNG talks someone through making a splint because the other methods are not functioning.

I'd love to see something like a Vulcan with a dislocated arm, in a situation where the medical equipment is failing, taken aback when the human doctor is just like "Ah, I'll just pop it back in... shove-crack" The Vulcan's emotional control being totally overrridden with this emoticon: :gonk:

Ideally, we'd get two different vulcans with similar injuries, and one reacts that way, while the other one likes it, because it's such a brutally logical way to deal with the injury.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
For what its worth we got close to that scene in Star Trek Beyond.

https://youtu.be/w7GBITiXtqI

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 26, 2019

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Beyond was a swell film.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Vulcan Logic is a=a. a<>d. Human Logic is a=a. but a=d because we simply rip the stem off the top of the d so it looks like an a. All human logic is brutal logic.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

marktheando posted:

Forgot how angry and shouty Picard was about Data making Lal. Chill out Jean-Luc.

Also lol at Lal's initial form.

Edit- lmao at the huge headed Andorian that is one of her appearance options.

Troi has got her "I need to have a chat with Data about the cultural inappropriateness of blue-face" expression on.

I said come in! posted:

For what its worth we got close to that scene in Star Trek Beyond.

https://youtu.be/w7GBITiXtqI

That's some good :spock:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Senor Tron posted:

Troi has got her "I need to have a chat with Data about the cultural inappropriateness of blue-face" expression on.

That's some good :spock:

Data is literally in yellow face playing a robot designed to look like his Asian creator though

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Data is literally in yellow face playing a robot designed to look like his Asian creator though

wrong sort of asian, I'm pretty sure

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

That episode sure doesn't fit with the later episodes where they try to be so respectful of other cultures. They're all "Ugh, you barbarian Irish with your fire and livestock. Bleh, you goddamn filthy clone-people. Both of you need to abandon your societal norms because we think that's better for you."

It's a neat episode in a few ways, but it sure is a tonal shift from all those episodes where they're walking on eggshells for the sake of not offending or interfering. Maybe it would've felt less odd if the original commentary was intact and the Enterprise crew was repulsed for non-future sci fi reasons.
It’s a bad episode

I’m maybe 2% Irish and even I was offended by how ridiculous they made the space Irish. Like they have the rotting teeth and the scraggly beards and constantly drink

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I love how uncomfortable O'Brien is when he has to talk to the Space Irish leader. Make me wonder if Meaney had words about that script.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

It's really weird to me that both that and the two holodeck episodes with the Irish village get like really weird old timey racist about Irish people.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I love how uncomfortable O'Brien is when he has to talk to the Space Irish leader. Make me wonder if Meaney had words about that script.

I dunno but he did have words when they wanted to have a Leprechaun and the writers changed it to Rumpelstiltskin.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
The disco Andorian redesign is fine, but was completely unnecessary.

marktheando posted:

Actually it was an Andorian female. But yeah its all the terrible choices adding up.

So it's a prepubescent Andorian girl who is apparently wearing an athletic cup.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

marktheando posted:

I dunno but he did have words when they wanted to have a Leprechaun and the writers changed it to Rumpelstiltskin.
Yes although at that point he was main cast

In Season 2 of TNG he shows up a lot but maybe has 2-3 lines an episode

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I just wanted to make a post this morning to say that I would eat banana pancakes with B'Elanna Torres.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I always enjoyed how when she became suicidally depressed the rest of voyager's crew reacted by treating her like dogshit

That's such a voyager thing, it's such a 90s thing

E: I did not actually enjoy these things

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, dear god, I never thought of that.

I know Soong isn't written to be Asian and Gene just wanted his friend Noonien from back in the war to find him, but that's uh... that's still super not great.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Troi just blurting out to the whole bridge crew that the Betazoid guy in Tin Man was a patient of hers.

Edit- was Marina Sirtis the only person who bothered doing the Betazoid accent?

marktheando fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 26, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LividLiquid posted:

I know Soong isn't written to be Asian and Gene just wanted his friend Noonien from back in the war to find him, but that's uh... that's still super not great.

Is just a weird accident, but yeah I was thinking about it recently and it isn't great! But its the 24th century a random mostly white dude can have the surname Soong, he could be hundreds of years out from an Asian ancestor

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I think it'd be worse if Dr. Soong was Asian.

e: It's even weirder that they named him similarly to Khan, who definitely was Asian.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 26, 2019

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'll be honest, I never interpreted Soong's name as being a real world name, I figured it was just some fabricated future name, like if they'd named him Xanthyr Kudaceau.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

But its the 24th century a random mostly white dude can have the surname Soong, he could be hundreds of years out from an Asian ancestor

He was going to originally be played by Keye Luke for Brothers, but they couldn't get him, and in an Okudagram that was made but ultimately not used in Datalore, his picture was going to be Okuda, himself. So he had at least been conceptualized as East Asian.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man, just a friendly PSA, if you're watching TNG and it's not via the Blu Ray including the original episodic promos, you should probably do it that way. These things own.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LividLiquid posted:

Epicurius posted:

He was going to originally be played by Keye Luke for Brothers, but they couldn't get him, and in an Okudagram that was made but ultimately not used in Datalore, his picture was going to be Okuda, himself. So he had at least been conceptualized as East Asian.

If I remember right the signage in Soong's lab on Omicron Theta was also definitely not English.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

Man, just a friendly PSA, if you're watching TNG and it's not via the Blu Ray including the original episodic promos, you should probably do it that way. These things own.

Next time on STARRRRRrrr Trek: The Next Generation

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'll be honest, I never interpreted Soong's name as being a real world name, I figured it was just some fabricated future name, like if they'd named him Xanthyr Kudaceau.

I could never figure out if he was an alien or just super old.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tighclops posted:

Next time on STARRRRRrrr Trek: The Next Generation

The best thing is that every single one takes some sort of out of context actiony moments to make it seem more exciting, and watching a bunch of them in a row almost feels like watching the gazorra edits.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

marktheando posted:

Troi just blurting out to the whole bridge crew that the Betazoid guy in Tin Man was a patient of hers.

Edit- was Marina Sirtis the only person who bothered doing the Betazoid accent?

Sirtis gradually toned down her accent over the years. She started out mimicking the Greek accent that she grew up with from her parents, and then by the seventh season and the movies, she was just using her London accent.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Song is also a pretty common Chinese surname, and was the name of a Chinese dynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

That video of the anecdote Sirtis gives about giving Rick Berman grief about the accent over the series is great.