Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Blue On Blue posted:

I had a fun day playing golf and hit some good shots, so I'm feeling energetic

Gonna cook up a nice meal , crack open a bottle of wine

and then put on a movie, how about The Perception

I hear it is a sleeper hit of the year.

Trip report to follow if I don't gouge my eyes out halfway through.

I thought you wrote that you were going to see The Prestige. You should watch that instead.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:

I have a sneaking feeling that things are going too well or not well at all.

something is either holding them up this quarter or they made another amazing breakthrough.

Since they are quiet. they probably made another major breakthrough. it would follow the same style they had when procedural planet tech released.

Wow, that actually made me a bit dumber...

I'm sure, with reddit getting the pitchforks out over the lack of progress, that CIG would keep quiet about an "amazing breakthrough".

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Initial 10 minutes

The acting isnt that bad. I've seen much worse

The plot is extremely contrived however

The parallels between the real life sandi and the movie character are hilarious

She does nothing but goto movie auditions all day

Her husband stays at home and works on his novel , his masterpiece which he can never finish because of his deep rooted mental issues

I gotta keep going

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

"Family style"

Meaning you have to share with the other 20 nerds crammed at the table.

How much did they pay for this again?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I'm sure, with reddit getting the pitchforks out over the lack of progress, that CIG would keep quiet about an "amazing breakthrough".

That's the Achille's Heel of this entire scam. There is no loving way, needing goodwill like they do, and needing money like they do, and increased confidence in the product, that CIG would hide anything that would prove significant advancement. To show real, quantifiable progress, like a working flight model, fun dogfighting, functioning physics, anything really, wouldn't just bolster confidence but also suck back in some of the more recenty disillusioned. In short, it would be a financial windfall they'd never, ever pass up. To me, that's the strongest evidence we have that CIG has nothing. So we get more JPEGs, more imagination, more what-ifs, and more dreams.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://twitter.com/AntonFromYT/status/1164748894175023104

:yikes:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

$90 - cash.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

drat. I bought mine on installments...

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
To that ho who left me because I kept flushing all my money down the toilet: I'm still flushing all my money down the toilet

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I'm sure the aforementioned ho is really feeling the sting now. If that wasn't a joke tweet, it explains almost everything wrong not just with this project but with people in general.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ok I got ahead of myself

The acting is pretty bad

Think as wooden as act of valor with the range of a jpeg

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I bet she feels pretty silly right now

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Quavers posted:

Our thousands of goon alt accounts are being tracked :ohdear:

I love this comment on NMS. "An essay on what's wrong with NMS in 15 minutes of play" any yet the poster insists he is not about making GBS threads on other games.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

That's the Achille's Heel of this entire scam. There is no loving way, needing goodwill like they do, and needing money like they do, and increased confidence in the product, that CIG would hide anything that would prove significant advancement. To show real, quantifiable progress, like a working flight model, fun dogfighting, functioning physics, anything really, wouldn't just bolster confidence but also suck back in some of the more recenty disillusioned. In short, it would be a financial windfall they'd never, ever pass up. To me, that's the strongest evidence we have that CIG has nothing. So we get more JPEGs, more imagination, more what-ifs, and more dreams.

Yeah the “secret dev build” is just the feverish last hope of the cultists. As you said, as desperate for money and good press as they are, they’re not going to hold anything back. Also, aside from Lando going “there are some things we can’t show you. *wink tehehe” once in a while there is absolutely no evidence for it. CIG doesn’t even make scripted demos anymore since sandworm-gate. Plus, it torpedos the whole “most open game development ever” nonsense.

It’s funny that CIG has actual become much more honest over the past year or two, especially since the Calder investment. All they show anymore is exactly what they have, more art assets and vague promises. The cultists just want to believe that all of the crazy promises from the heady and expansionary early days of CIG are still being secretly worked on, even when CIG itself is constantly walking them back and implying that none of it will ever be in the game.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So basically a $275 dollar dinner for a brat.

What a fiasco.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

In 2023, John Carreyrou's book about Star Citizen comes out. On page 202:

Q: As the project started to decline, were you goons really plugged in to what was happening? Some say you were out of touch by that point.

A: Dude. They did a concierge (author's note: these were backers who ultimately lost more than $1,000 on the project) event in Cologne, and we had a loving image of their menu in like two days!

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Scruffpuff posted:

$90 - cash.

Imagine having that much, all at once.

Then imagine blowing it on a jpeg.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blue On Blue posted:

Initial 10 minutes

The acting isnt that bad. I've seen much worse

The plot is extremely contrived however

The parallels between the real life sandi and the movie character are hilarious

She does nothing but goto movie auditions all day

Her husband stays at home and works on his novel , his masterpiece which he can never finish because of his deep rooted mental issues

I gotta keep going

Godspeed you magnificent bastard O7

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blue On Blue posted:

Ok I got ahead of myself

The acting is pretty bad

Think as wooden as act of valor with the range of a jpeg

I called this by the way...

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

colonelwest posted:

Yeah the “secret dev build” is just the feverish last hope of the cultists. As you said, as desperate for money and good press as they are, they’re not going to hold anything back. Also, aside from Lando going “there are some things we can’t show you. *wink tehehe” once in a while there is absolutely no evidence for it. CIG doesn’t even make scripted demos anymore since sandworm-gate. Plus, it torpedos the whole “most open game development ever” nonsense.

It’s funny that CIG has actual become much more honest over the past year or two, especially since the Calder investment. All they show anymore is exactly what they have, more art assets and vague promises. The cultists just want to believe that all of the crazy promises from the heady and expansionary early days of CIG are still being secretly worked on, even when CIG itself is constantly walking them back and implying that none of it will ever be in the game.

That's mostly true, but there is this: there is a "secret dev build," out in plain sight. It's Squadron 42. It is completely secret, because of course Chris' brilliant plot strokes must not be exposed before their time. It is not dependent on having a bunch of college kids concoct an MMO from CryEngine. It is the hope and salvation of this entire multiyear enterprise.

A day or so ago, I posted something suggesting that the lulz might be ending, with the scent of failure in the wind. I was wrong. Squadron 42 is coming, and the whole crowd, from the largest whale to the smallest that Kazan, are utterly unprepared for it to suck so badly that Crobberts entire aura will lose its luster. That will be a moment to treasure.

Or a moment to eat crow, if Squadron 42 does not suck. If that happens, I will apologize to all of the above here.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is literally a movie about their lives.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sandi has a history of stalking and harassing Chris.

Chris is an uninspired dolt who can't help but write lovely stories, and lovely code.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

So CIG charged $275 for a meal that I could get at my local German restaurant in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, for 30 bucks; and I actually could sit at my own table instead of being packed in like cattle. Then the Crobbler and company sat them down for a hard sell pitch for a $675 JPEG, and ran off with a six figure haul like thieves into the night.

The poor dumb scammed bastards then tweeted and posted all over the place with pictures chronicling their shame, convinced that they are truly privileged and that their new life in space is just around the corner.

What a magical evening.

Nigerian scammers should start holding conventions and bar meetups.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm almost done. I found myself skipping through 5 - 10 minute chunks because the plot pacing was so slow a tedious trying to establish the end result , the flash backs/forwards were painful

The biggest annoyance so far is they spelled it prozack for some reason , instead of prozac

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

colonelwest posted:

So CIG charged $275 for a meal that I could get at my local German restaurant in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, for 30 bucks; and I actually could sit at my own table instead of being packed in like cattle. Then the Crobbler and company sat them down for a hard sell pitch for a $675 JPEG, and ran off with a six figure haul like thieves into the night.

The poor dumb scammed bastards then tweeted and posted all over the place with pictures chronicling their shame, convinced that they are truly privileged and that their new life in space is just around the corner.

What a magical evening.

Nigerian scammers should start holding conventions and bar meetups.

The drinks are in there, I hope they got at least completely wasted for that price.

(And then bought 3 Nautilii while drunk, ofc.)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blue On Blue posted:

I'm almost done. I found myself skipping through 5 - 10 minute chunks because the plot pacing was so slow a tedious trying to establish the end result , the flash backs/forwards were painful

The biggest annoyance so far is they spelled it prozack for some reason , instead of prozac

Its called Prozack in Australia. Sandi's big change to the script can be seen in full view of all its watchers.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ah it was all a ruse !!! Good on you novel writing man , you caught them in their deceit

Phew what an epic masterpiece of movie story telling if only to rival wing commander

This white is great btw , kept me going the whole time, and i got it for free !

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I called this by the way...

D...Derek?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It's done. Over finished. Complete

I have nothing else to say , it was a very generic and boring attempt at a mind twisting who dunnit

Now to drink the remainder of this bottle and play some elite dangerous

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:sad:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its a cult and an MLM pyramid scheme both at the same time

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Someone told me that there's a mode in the game that makes it impossible for you to crash, so all their "insane!!!" stunts are actually really just boring and flashy looking at best

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

The drinks are in there, I hope they got at least completely wasted for that price.

(And then bought 3 Nautilii while drunk, ofc.)

That rioja is not half bad. But it's cheap, and for $275 you could get enough to get blotto for a week.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

No radergast on the menu?? Or hairy Robert's?

thebacil
Jan 31, 2019

Dementropy posted:

Star Citizen: 'Fun' is not what its design has ever aimed for

BEAGS!! Miss his XCOM series.

Anyway hes completely accurate. The game is out, its getting worse and there is no way it can suddenly turn around, its fundamentals are rotten to the core.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

"Attention will be paid to the character model, animations and voice recordings coming from an actor. Thereby the character should look more real. Hideo Kojima was mentioned as a counterexample. He uses three different characters for the character model, the animations and the voice recordings."

Chris Roberts > Hideo Kojima :smuggo:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

this has to be a photoshop...

:roflolmao:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Green sauce has always been my favorite appetizer. Did they provide anything to use said sauce on, or do you just tip it into your maw?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Green sauce has always been my favorite appetizer. Did they provide anything to use said sauce on, or do you just tip it into your maw?

You spread it on a jpeg receipt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Quavers posted:

"Attention will be paid to the character model, animations and voice recordings coming from an actor. Thereby the character should look more real. Hideo Kojima was mentioned as a counterexample. He uses three different characters for the character model, the animations and the voice recordings."

Chris Roberts > Hideo Kojima :smuggo:

LOL the presentation computer crashed at the beginning and they used a prerecorded video to show the concept. loving HILARIOUS!

Roberts proceeded to walk away and got a beer only to return to the 2nd level. EVEN BETTER.