Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

flakeloaf posted:

just lol if you allow any work poo poo to touch your own phone

or indeed any phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Soricidus posted:

but they’re still keeping the weird mismatch between android version numbers and api version numbers (android 10 is api 29 I think)

are the API and the os release directly tied to each other or are there scenarios where they might not directly match up?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

infernal machines posted:

are the API and the os release directly tied to each other or are there scenarios where they might not directly match up?

they’re closely linked. it’s just yet another counter, running slightly faster than the letters were running since they stopped having multiple letters within a major version recently, and slower than the marketing version numbers where they might only bump the minor version number if they don’t think the api changes count as major.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/21/20826812/samsung-giphy-gifs-instagram-meme-makers-blue-green

lol sarnsung salty as gently caress

even though the 'ewww green bubble' thing is insufferable its worth perpetuating it to troll never-ios types

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Gentle Autist posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/21/20826812/samsung-giphy-gifs-instagram-meme-makers-blue-green

even though the 'ewww green bubble' thing is insufferable its worth perpetuating it to troll never-ios types

this whole thing reminded me of this and lol

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/android-user-added-to-group-chat-better-be-one-funny-motherfucker

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Gentle Autist posted:

Wtf? What's so bad about an Android user in an iPhone group chat? I only just started using an iPhone, and have never really "used" an Android. How much worse can it be past "ew, they didn't receive my confetti animation" or whatever?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pseudorandom posted:

Wtf? What's so bad about an Android user in an iPhone group chat? I only just started using an iPhone, and have never really "used" an Android. How much worse can it be past "ew, they didn't receive my confetti animation" or whatever?

one small but important thing is an iMessage chat can be given a specific name. add one android device into it and it poisons the well. most of my workplace are iPhone users but there’s enough androids that I only have one iMessage group chat (which is appropriately named) but another 3 group chats that look identical at first because they contain a lot of the same people.

I’ve been asked multiple times how I changed the one group name, and appropriately threw the android users under the bus as to why we can’t have nice things.

also I noticed that if you react to posts, rather than adding an icon it literally sends a message saying ‘Mike dislikes the text’.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pseudorandom posted:

adding an android user forces everyone to sms, which is a poo poo protocol

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

The Management posted:

adding an android user forces everyone to sms, which is a poo poo protocol

I mean, if you don't want to use SMS you shouldn't be using something like iMessage which is literally the SMS app + Apple BS. If you don't want to deal with this issue use the literal hundreds of non-SMS-based messaging apps.

It's like the Eric Andre meme: You send a message, then you're like "Why was this sent as an SMS?"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pseudorandom posted:

I mean, if you don't want to use SMS you shouldn't be using something like iMessage which is literally the SMS app + Apple BS. If you don't want to deal with this issue use the literal hundreds of non-SMS-based messaging apps.

It's like the Eric Andre meme: You send a message, then you're like "Why was this sent as an SMS?"

what?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

yeah I really don't see how that's anything but Apple being assholes

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Private Speech posted:

yeah I really don't see how that's anything but Apple being assholes

I completely agree. My point was that should be expected. If you don't want to deal with SMS, why not just use Messenger/Whatsapp/Slack/GroupMe/etc instead of using the "SMS+Apple" app?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

pseudorandom posted:

many people build their identity around what they consume. a green bubble identifies someone as being part of the out group compared to wealthy iphone owners, so they can safely be assumed inferior and ostracized

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

pseudorandom posted:

end to end encryption without downloading lovely apps like telegram or what’s app sure is bad lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I for one love to be chatting with my friends about stuff in my third party chat programme only to have adverts displayed to me for what we were discussing the next time I log in to Facebook or am scrolling a google page

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

angry about sms

thanks for beautifully illustrating my point, nerds

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pseudorandom posted:

I completely agree. My point was that should be expected. If you don't want to deal with SMS, why not just use Messenger/Whatsapp/Slack/GroupMe/etc instead of using the "SMS+Apple" app?

you realize imessage is exactly what you're describing, right? it just fails back to sms if connecting to an unsupported client. the only difference is apple doesn't make an android app

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

the only difference is apple doesn't make an app for the vast majority of devices

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

true, google makes at least one chat app for every android model released

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
speaking of google and their superior messaging experience

https://thenextweb.com/google/2019/08/22/youtube-messages-feature-killed-off/?yptr=yahoo

YouTube’s killing Messages before they atrophy from disuse

quote:

YouTube‘s made the decision to squash a feature I honestly forgot existed — its private messages. It’s stated reason is to focus on public conversations — and for once I believe the party line here.

According to Google’s announcement, “Two years ago, we launched a feature to enable you to share videos via direct messages on YouTube. Since then, we’ve also focused on public conversations with updates to comments, posts, and stories.” That’s certainly true, given how it’s fiddled with it formula since then.

With the plethora of other messaging apps and platforms available, I’m curious to know how many use cases there are for YouTube DMs — The Verge pointed out that Google alone offers roughly a baker’s dozen other ways to get in touch with someone.

TechCrunch noticed a large portion of those protesting the change were children (or alleged children) who’d apparently been using YouTube‘s DMs to circumvent parental bans on social media and messaging. Check the Google Support announcement if you want to see the impassioned repetition of “Please don’t get rid of the only way I have of talking to my friends.”

I’m all for the cultivation of online friendships, don’t get me wrong — but seeing that makes me more in favor of Google canning the feature, not against it. Assuming TC is correct and the people making these comments are primarily children, YouTube‘s got enough child exploitation on it without letting its DMs run rampant as well.

Google seems to be evolving YouTube into a platform of entertainers and audiences. By eliminating DMs, it’s encouraging communities to do their communicating in the public comments section or in a channel’s posts. It’s not really a “friend” platform so much as it is a combination theater/storefront where Google can cultivate its ad revenue. Without meaning to sound cynical, I wouldn’t be surprised if Google’s inclusion of the feature was to tick a box on a list of features social media sites are “supposed” to have, only to scrap it when it’s mostly utilized by kids eager to slip their digital leashes.

YouTube‘s consolation prize is to remind everyone the share button exists — which seems like a bit of a poor substitute, but I guess that’s the best users are going to get. YouTube Messages officially go away on September 18.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
It would be cool if google made an imessage clone but they don't have the balls to make end to end encryption the default for 3 billion people.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

It would be cool if google made an imessage clone but they don't have the balls to make end to end encryption the default for 3 billion people.

why would an advertising company want to encrypt your messages?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Apple should add a fedora to icons of green bubble users

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I for one love to be chatting with my friends about stuff in my third party chat programme only to have adverts displayed to me for what we were discussing the next time I log in to Facebook or am scrolling a google page

Get rid of your Facebook account

mystes
May 31, 2006

USSAr posted:

speaking of google and their superior messaging experience
The nice thing is that this can apply to their corporate communications as well as their apps.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Get rid of your Facebook account

remember the guy who said you don't need a facebook account to use messenger, you just sign in with your phone number and a password, which then creates a facebook account for you

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Also facebook will make a shadow profile for you anyways, it will recognize your face in other peoples pictures and those pictures will be geotagged.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I only take pictures of like, receipts and stuff, and it gets all of those as clearly as you'd expect from any modern camera.

This dude does an in-depth camera review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAv0uXpP0Aw

At the moment though I'm still experiencing some glitchiness with the China import version, namely:

1) Some of the Google services I sideloaded are wonky, for example I can't use navigation from the launcher while on data (i.e. "navigate to blah blah), but it works directly in the Google Maps app, or from the launcher when on wifi.

2) T-Mobile seems to change from "LTE" to "H+" when I'm in a phone call and when I run Google speed tests I consistently get 0.33mbps upload when I'm on a phone call and 3mbps upload when I'm out of a phone call. Download stays the same. Apparently it has to do with not supporting T-Mobile VoLTE or something.

3) The thing has two SIM slots, but when I punch in the IMEI for SIM Slot 2 into my corporate Verizon account, it says it isn't a valid IMEI and won't let me add service. I'm gonna try calling them.

Some of this stuff might be alleviated by flashing the worldwide rom, or waiting for the USA release of the phone. I'm seeing if I can get it all worked out on the stock OS though. It's still less fucky than the Cyanogen stuff I put up with a few years back.
my phone doesn't work right and i have to janitor it a bunch to get basic functionality, but i saved a whole $100 over buying something that works properly!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the tacit admission that this person doesn't have friends or do things by saying "i just take photos of receipts" is amazing.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

my phone doesn't work right and i have to janitor it a bunch to get basic functionality, but i saved a whole $100 over buying something that works properly!

its been a long time since I’ve seen a good android story like this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

the tacit admission that this person doesn't have friends or do things by saying "i just take photos of receipts" is amazing.

the gray android thread is full of people who think selfie cameras are an actively bad addition to a phone

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

you know they’d feel an acceptable fix for that navigation issue would be for them to have a second android phone, broken in many different ways, sitting in the car as a personal hotspot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

you know they’d feel an acceptable fix for that navigation issue would be for them to have a second android phone, broken in many different ways, sitting in the car as a personal hotspot.

this is someone who ordered a phone from china to save $100, so no, i don't think a second phone with more service is really something they'd do.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

this is someone who ordered a phone from china to save $100, so no, i don't think a second phone with more service is really something they'd do.

you say that, but people like fat jony ive have demonstrated that they're cheap in entirely arbitrary ways that do not relate to actually saving any money

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

they’re the kind of users who have family plans just for themselves, and a drawer full of crap cheap phones from just the last few years alone.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
they’re not so much cheap as obsessed with “good deals”. they can get this phone for $100 less and it has all the right specs. it doesn’t matter that it doesn’t work and that they have a drawer full of other phones.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

non-replaceable batteries are bullshit because nobody cares about having a device that's 0.7 fucktometres thinner if they can't turn the bastard on

replaceable batteries are bullshit because you won't need one until three years from now, and three years from now the only batteries for your phone are the ones made three years ago, or the garbage ones that are literally just potato slices wrapped in plastic

create a need with a thing that won't last

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's not true!

sometimes the garbage ones are dangerously volatile QC failures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

flakeloaf posted:

non-replaceable batteries are bullshit because nobody cares about having a device that's 0.7 fucktometres thinner if they can't turn the bastard on

replaceable batteries are bullshit because you won't need one until three years from now, and three years from now the only batteries for your phone are the ones made three years ago, or the garbage ones that are literally just potato slices wrapped in plastic

create a need with a thing that won't last

surface does not have a replacable battery (or SSD)

it's quite annoying to be honest