Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Mister Bates posted:

You can definitely rename aircraft models, you just can't do it from the design selection screen because this game's UI is bad

Yeah, if you want to supply names, that's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Voting:
The Horse Before the Cart Act - AYE, airbases are good

Budget Efficiency Act - NAY, planes are the future

Fleet Realignment Act - AYE, with the caveat that the bill requires destroyers 500 tons or less to be mothballed in peacetime, and you can only mothball ships in your home area, so ships deployed to the Far East cannot be mothballed, so therefore the 500 ton destroyers have to be left with the Baltic Fleet

Admiralty & State Sorting & Harmonizing Omnibus of Legal Edicts - AYE, this is mostly fine and allows for slow submarine buildup and becoming friends with the preeminent naval power

Renaming Act of 1917 - AYE, obvious

Austerity in the Dreadnought Age Act - AYE, I proposed it and pre-dreads are a waste of space

"Freddy, my French friend, fries frogs on Fridays" - NAY, let's not provoke a war unless we have to

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

vyelkin posted:

Fleet Realignment Act - AYE, with the caveat that the bill requires destroyers 500 tons or less to be mothballed in peacetime, and you can only mothball ships in your home area, so ships deployed to the Far East cannot be mothballed, so therefore the 500 ton destroyers have to be left with the Baltic Fleet

Oooh, good catch.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Current vote totals:
Horse Before the Cart Act: 11 Aye, 0 Nay
Budget Efficiency Act: 0 Aye, 11 Nay
Fleet Realignment Act 11 Aye, 0 Nay
Admiralty & State Sorting & Harmonizing Omnibus of Legal Edicts: 11 Aye, 0 Nay
Renaming Act of 1917: 11 Aye, 0 Nay
Austerity in the Dreadnought Age Act: 6 Aye, 5 Nay
"Freddy, my French friend, fries frogs on Fridays" Edict: 2 Aye, 9 Nay

Looks like passage of the "Austerity in the Dreadnought Age" Act is still an open question, not so much for any of the others.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm half way through the update.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

The winning design will be named the razrushitel' neba (разрушитель неба) or "Sky Destroyer."

I'll name the scout with my next official post.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Horse Before the Cart Act - passes
Budget Efficiency Act - fails
Fleet Realignment Act - passes
Admiralty & State Sorting & Harmonizing Omnibus of Legal Edicts - passes
Renaming Act of 1917 - passes
Austerity in the Dreadnought Age Act - passes
"Freddy, my French friend, fries frogs on Fridays" - fails

quote:

Will call for an airbase to be constructed, positioned to protect our operations in the Baltic as much as current capabilities allow. this base will be staffed by air wings of composition decided by the Admiralty under The Fleet Air Arms Act.

I would also like to call on BuORD to detail the specifications for the bomb-carrying planes; unless Speed and Maneuverability are also the focus for these "bombers

Fleet Realignment Act

This act aims to consolidate our Cruiser and Destroyer forces by class, to ease logistical burdens; with the added benefit that it will move still useful, but somewhat out of date vessels to the Far East and away from well funded and advanced Rival Powers.

It also calls for refits to our CA's to keep them in service for another decade. These will be accomplished In series, over the course of the next 3 years.

Finally, it calls for the Chief of the Navy to use the sort by Displacement tab when screenshotting the current fleet, instead of type.

Baltic Fleet: Our most capable and modern vessels, the Pride of the Navy.

Grom Class (2 Vessels) is still a capable vessel, but it's primary armament is insufficient to engage dreadnoughts or battlecruisers, and too unwieldly to fight other cruisers.

- Refit with Director, Refit Turrets to Triple 8" / 140 rounds, reducing secondary armament as required to maintain weight.

Falconyet Class is not in need of a refit at this time, and remains a capable commerce raider.

All Destroyers Displacing 900T or more (14 Vessels)

Far East Fleet: Older but still capable vessels, to keep Japan in check and conduct commerce raiding in Asia.

Pamat Azova class (3 Vessels) still makes 23 knots, and can still serve as a Reserve / Colonial vessel, was recently refitted with Directors.

Vorobey class (3 Vessels) is inexpensive to maintain, and still capable of filling it's role as a commerce raider in a less active area.

All Destroyers under 700T (17 Vessels)

DD's Displacing 500T or less will be placed into Mothballs during peacetime, and Reactivated during wartime as Trade Protection.

The Admiralty & State Sorting & Harmonizing Omnibus of Legal Edicts

Reorganization of Priorities Act

Whereas: We do not have the fleet capacity to fight any peer competitor at this time and we have an outdated battle fleet.

Therefore:
1) The priorities of the admiralty should be changed to:
A) Increasing the Naval Budget
B) Reducing tension
2) This act is not to override any statutes to the contrary, which are to remain in full force and effect.
Ex: A law that says cause tension with France will remain in effect despite Article 1, Section B. Same for the legislation mandating that we try to take over colonies when offered the chance.

A Wolfpack in Being Act

Whereas: We will have only 10 active submarines upon completion of our current flight of ships, and are woefully short on undersea raiders.

Therefore:
1) The "Stop the Undersea Fetishists Act" of 1907 is hereby revoked, effective immediately.
2) This act shall enter into force upon completion of the current run of submarines in 1917.
3) So long as our monthly balance remains above 500 (500,000 rubles) a month, flights of two new medium SS submarines are to be ordered upon completion of the most recent flight.
4) Construction of new flights is to cease upon reaching 25 completed medium SS submarines.
5) Should war or other incident reduce the standing submarine fleet to less than 24 available ships, flights of two submarines are to be ordered as per Article 3 of this Act.
6) The Admiralty, at their discretion, may scrap the old SSC submarines as they see fit.
7) This act shall not prevent the admiralty or State Council from ordering additional submarines as deemed necessary.

The Keep Your Friends Closer Act

Whereas: We are currently risking our relationship with our allies in the United Kingdom with indiscriminant spying, and at the same time have ordered our diplomats to make nice with the stroppy Hun. We must correct these errors before they damage state security.

Therefore:
1) The Hail Germania act is hereby revoked, effective immediately.
2) For the duration of our alliance with Great Britain, we shall not take any action that could harm said alliance. This includes using our intelligence services against them, and shall take precedence over any prior or future act unless specifically noted in said act.
3) We shall endeavor to enter into a mutually beneficial research treaty with the United Kingdom.

Renaming Act of 1917
It might be a good idea to give the lead ship of the Proyekt cruisers a proper name and not just a placeholder design name.

Renaming Act of 1917
The cruiser currently known as 'Proyekt 33915' is to be renamed as Katastrofa. This is a good and auspicious name.

Austerity in the Dreadnought Age Act:

Scrap the pre-dreadnought battleships Evstafi and Imperator Pavel I. Do not undertake new reconstructions of any other pre-dreadnoughts, with the eventual goal of scrapping all of them and replacing them with modern dreadnoughts.

Dreadnoughts are not even the future, they are the present. Maintaining pre-dreadnoughts is nothing more than a drain on our national resources, and the ships themselves are easy prey for our enemies' modern fleets and future graveyards for thousands of our sailors.

I cannot do the proposed works on the Grom class, as we do not have triple turrets.

January 1917

An airbase is ordered.

Two battleships are scrapped, one going to fire trials that prove very useful.

Ships begin to move.

We reaffirm the trety with Great Britain.

Nice to know we are not the only one scrapping ships.

February 1917

We have our first director armed ship, and the new fighter has been overworked.

Orders for a floatplane scout are put in.

March 1917

We get new torpedoes, and a quick rebuild of our light cruisers is completed.

April 1917

We get an air base, and a rebuilt Grom.

Then this happens. It could have been worse, but these are some serious limitations.

Though I'm not going to say it doesn't have its advantages for us....

The treaty gets rid of more ships than a good sized war would have.

It also does wonders for world tensions.

May 1917

The Sub force increases in size.

I always listen to mad scientists.

Parliament give with one had, and take away with the other.

It seems our light cruiser tech is running similar to the British.

June 1917

New docks, new planes, and a lack of Torpedo Bombers.

July 1917

The British are well on their way to building carriers!

August 1917

What interest does Russia have in Cuba?

We now have better AP shells.

September 1917

We can finally build torpedo bombers! Oh, and Ireland is indipendant.

I choose the production model from the floatplane scouts.

October 1917

It is widely believed the Americans have blown up one of our destroyers – as I am to avoid war, I take the hit to my prestige.

November 1917

I start the last of my rebuilds.

December 1917

We get info on an Austrian fighter.

She includes more info in the pile.

The current active fleet.

The refits and new builds/

we have no subs building as the cuts post treaty and the rebuilds took priority, but I will get back to that.

Tensions with the US are still high.

The budget is manageable.

Research continues to look good.
Back to you guys.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh, I thought the plane we had before was a flying boat, didn't realize we already had an operable floatplane scout. Anyway that's fine though we got a better one.

Grey, it's managable right now, but in the future as our number of active plane designs increases, do you think your end-of-year report could include a list of our current aircraft and blimps? Hopefully there's some screen that shows that in the game?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Do we have regions that still don't have an airbase?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah. Most of them.
Warning. Airbases can get expensive.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Question: what does prestige actually do in the game?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Determines your score at the end of the game.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
How long does the size and gun limitation stay in effect for? Seems like the Ryska Sjon will curb stomp everything until the limits are lifted, which is nice.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I propose the Maximum Moderation in Airplanes Act:

The Admiralty shall designate one airbase adjacent to the Baltic Sea, which they consider likely to be within range of any potential naval battles there. We shall then ensure that this airbase is always upgraded to maximum possible airplane capacity, and filled with air wings.

Additionally, the admiralty shall ensure that all airbase air groups are kept in reserve during times of peace. These air groups shall be restored to active duty in times of war. Subject to the admiralty's discretion, air groups may be restored to active status when tensions with a potential enemy are at high levels, to ensure readiness should war break out unexpectedly.

Air groups on ships such as aircraft carriers are to be kept in active status even in times of peace.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Well, I guess there's only one solution to this treaty.

Maximum seaplane carriers. We can rule the waves AND the wind.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Capfalcon posted:

Question: what does prestige actually do in the game?

if it goes too low you are fired and lose

We should lay down some kind of treaty CA as it would continue to be useful after the treaty expires.

if you want to be gamey you can start a war and the treaty will be lifted.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I propose the Naval Air Corps Reserve Act (NACRA)

All air wings stationed at airbases shall be placed on Reserve in peacetime. During wartime airwings will be brought to active duty or left on reserve at the Admiralty's discretion. Based on the region where the conflict is occurring it may not be prudent to activate all air wings if they cannot support the war effort in their location. AIr wings stationed on ships will match the activation status of the ship they are stationed on.

I also propose the:

Build a bigger seaplane carrier act (no acronym)

In August 1916 we gained the technology to build "larger seaplane carriers", in the last session we were consumed by other matters, but with our refits proceeding well I believe it is time to build a second dedicated seaplane carrier, hopefully with a greater capacity to carry these craft.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I propose the Build a Bigger Seaplane Act (BABSA)

Since we are limited by treaty in the size of our ships, we must increase the size of our planes. Put in an order for the heaviest seaplane available. Russia needs a Spruce Goose.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
Proposing the Reliable Users Streamlines Killing Yankees act. Excluding the Tsar's Yacht (whose crew reaps untold benefit from the presence of his imperial personage), the Ryska Sjon is our most modern and formidable warship who will bear the largest burden in a conflict with the USA or France. This act requires that a training regimen be immediately put into effect to improve the Night Fighting and Gunnery of the Ryska Sjon's crew that they might fully exploit their advantage in armaments.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

McGavin posted:

I propose the Build a Bigger Seaplane Act (BABSA)

Since we are limited by treaty in the size of our ships, we must increase the size of our planes. Put in an order for the heaviest seaplane available. Russia needs a Spruce Goose.

Vetoed as it steps on BUORDS Toes.

You do not get to restrain BUORD....

The only reason BUORD does not have all power over land bases as well is literally due to budget. (IE he would spend it all on land based planes rather than ships.)

BUORD However does get to set the number and type of aircraft in the bases.....

Sammich Reaper posted:

How long does the size and gun limitation stay in effect for? Seems like the Ryska Sjon will curb stomp everything until the limits are lifted, which is nice.

20 years or until we go to war.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sammich Reaper posted:

Proposing the Reliable Users Streamlines Killing Yankees act. Excluding the Tsar's Yacht (whose crew reaps untold benefit from the presence of his imperial personage), the Ryska Sjon is our most modern and formidable warship who will bear the largest burden in a conflict with the USA or France. This act requires that a training regimen be immediately put into effect to improve the Night Fighting and Gunnery of the Ryska Sjon's crew that they might fully exploit their advantage in armaments.

unless something has seriously changed in a recent patch, it doesn't work like that. Any change in training affects the entire fleet, so putting Night Fighting and Gunnery training on will massively increase our maintenance in exchange for making the whole fleet more effective at those things.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006

vyelkin posted:

unless something has seriously changed in a recent patch, it doesn't work like that. Any change in training affects the entire fleet, so putting Night Fighting and Gunnery training on will massively increase our maintenance in exchange for making the whole fleet more effective at those things.

Eh, we lost half our fleet to night battles where we tripped over the enemy at close range and they lit us up. Still seems cheaper than that.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That naval treaty is disappointing in the limitations it imposes on us, but also fantastic because we were falling way behind in battleships and battlecruisers.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

That naval treaty is disappointing in the limitations it imposes on us, but also fantastic because we were falling way behind in battleships and battlecruisers.

Yeah the Ryska Sjon is going to be our only dreadnought for a long time, but on the other hand we're actually pretty well placed to focus on carriers and light forces, because we were doing that already.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Vetoed as it steps on BUORDS Toes.

You do not get to restrain BUORD....

The only reason BUORD does not have all power over land bases as well is literally due to budget. (IE he would spend it all on land based planes rather than ships.)

BUORD However does get to set the number and type of aircraft in the bases.....

I do?

Wow!

OK uh, can you give any guidance as to what bases we have, and how many aircraft of each type they have now, and what their maximum capacity is?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

oh, I thought the plane we had before was a flying boat, didn't realize we already had an operable floatplane scout. Anyway that's fine though we got a better one.

Grey, it's managable right now, but in the future as our number of active plane designs increases, do you think your end-of-year report could include a list of our current aircraft and blimps? Hopefully there's some screen that shows that in the game?

Airships are unfortunately pretty non-interactive. Each airship base is automatically stocked with airships incorporating the latest technology. There is no design or squadron management element.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
hypothetically, how many 10-inch guns could we fit on a 15,000 ton ship?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Should we try building a smaller version of the torpedo-battleship?

Durendal posted:

Gentlemen. Behold.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
For the hell of it I threw together a quick hypothetical design for a treaty-compliant armored cruiser. just to demonstrate the kind of things we're capable of making within those restrictions (as of two years ago, we could build something better now).

Armor is proof against its own guns at all ranges, it's fast enough to outrun anything it can't kill, and it can hypothetically fight three of itself at once. It would still normally not be a very good ship, but against other treaty-compliant vessels it could hold its own easily.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 27, 2019

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Servetus posted:

Should we try building a smaller version of the torpedo-battleship?

We can't have more than six submerged torpedo tubes total in the designer, sadly. More tubes would require more above-decks torpedo tubes, and we can only put those on DDs and CLs at the moment. That said, we can absolutely build a CL with a 12-torpedo broadside, but keep in mind that those don't come with reloads(unless you research them and think putting more unprotected explosives on top of your deck is a good idea). I'd rather have one of those than a treaty CA at least.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Boksi posted:

... and think putting more unprotected explosives on top of your deck is a good idea.

:japan:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Servetus posted:

I propose the Naval Air Corps Reserve Act (NACRA)

All air wings stationed at airbases shall be placed on Reserve in peacetime. During wartime airwings will be brought to active duty or left on reserve at the Admiralty's discretion. Based on the region where the conflict is occurring it may not be prudent to activate all air wings if they cannot support the war effort in their location. AIr wings stationed on ships will match the activation status of the ship they are stationed on.

I also propose the:

Build a bigger seaplane carrier act (no acronym)

In August 1916 we gained the technology to build "larger seaplane carriers", in the last session we were consumed by other matters, but with our refits proceeding well I believe it is time to build a second dedicated seaplane carrier, hopefully with a greater capacity to carry these craft.

Seconding both.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

vyelkin posted:

I propose the Maximum Moderation in Airplanes Act:

The Admiralty shall designate one airbase adjacent to the Baltic Sea, which they consider likely to be within range of any potential naval battles there. We shall then ensure that this airbase is always upgraded to maximum possible airplane capacity, and filled with air wings.

Additionally, the admiralty shall ensure that all airbase air groups are kept in reserve during times of peace. These air groups shall be restored to active duty in times of war. Subject to the admiralty's discretion, air groups may be restored to active status when tensions with a potential enemy are at high levels, to ensure readiness should war break out unexpectedly.

Air groups on ships such as aircraft carriers are to be kept in active status even in times of peace.

Seconded

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I do?

Wow!

OK uh, can you give any guidance as to what bases we have, and how many aircraft of each type they have now, and what their maximum capacity is?

We currently have one 20 capacity air base.
So far this base has 10 fighters and another squadron awaiting 10 torpedo bombers.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Proposing A Treaty Sank My Battleship (ATSMB) Act

Countrymen, we must carefully consider the effects of this new treaty. On the surface, it seems that immediately building a series of very heavy "treaty cruisers" is the way to go. I have considered this course of action, and believe it folly. Any cruiser of that size is sure to be used as a quasi capital ship, and will be terribly vulnerable to any legacy battleship or battlecruiser it encounters.

Some of the possible consequences of the treaty:
- It will be more difficult or impossible for anyone to maintain the tonnage of capital ships necessary for a blockade
- Existing battleships are now the most dangerous ships on the sea, and will be for the foreseeable future
- Submarines may become the most attractive investment for all major navies
- Commerce raiding may now be the new way of naval war

With this in mind, the ATSMB Act proposes the following:
- Instead of spending gobs of money on 15,000 ton heavy cruisers, instead, develop a series of inexpensive, lightweight "fast cruisers" that can outrun any non-destroyer warship in the world, can defeat any light cruiser in a 1v1 matchup, and can serve either as raiders or counter-raiders. This likely calls for a 26-27 kt top speed, a robust gun armament, and proof against 6" gunfire.
- Double down on anti-submarine warfare: upgrade all existing DDs to the best possible ASW suite, and develop a new ASW+guns DD class.
- Continue the building of the submarine fleet; consider increasing this investment with a future addendum.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

We currently have one 20 capacity air base.
So far this base has 10 fighters and another squadron awaiting 10 torpedo bombers.

Awating 10 torpedo bombers we haven't designed yet? Weird! OK.

Do we have a flying boat design already? What's the complete list of plane roles we are allowed to choose right now?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

We have two overall options moving forward:

A.) Continue Ratcheting up tension and provoke a war that nulls the treaty.

B.) Live with the treaty and continue building up our light and carrier forces in the meantime.

IMO:

We've already gotten the primary benefit from the treaty, which is the scrapping of a bunch of Rival's capital ships under construction. Additionally, Rival powers are going to be building a large number of cruisers, which will make Battlecruisers extremely powerful, and reduce the effectiveness of commerce raiding cruisers.

My recommendation is starting a war in about a year, then accepting a white peace ASAP just to void the treaty, then building a new generation of capital ships.

In the meantime we should build additional destroyers of a new type since we got oil, new guns and quad torpedoes since the last round of DD's; and we don't have that many, anyways.

Destroyer? Never Heard of Her Act

This bill mandates the construction of a new generation of DD's for Fleet Duties; these include screening, scouting, and engaging enemy DD's with guns, and Cruisers / Capital ships with Torpedoes. As such the design should be well rounded, with a large number of both guns, and torpedo tubes.

Construction will be done in two flights not to exceed 4k per month, Overall cost is not to exceed 85m.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Infidelicious posted:

Destroyer? Never Heard of Her Act

This bill mandates the construction of a new generation of DD's for Fleet Duties; these include screening, scouting, and engaging enemy DD's with guns, and Cruisers / Capital ships with Torpedoes. As such the design should be well rounded, with a large number of both guns, and torpedo tubes.

Construction will be done in two flights not to exceed 4k per month, Overall cost is not to exceed 85m.

Seconded.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Lots of people in here forgetting that 27 knot Battlecruisers are a thing in 1918.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I think we will be at war before next Christmas, regardless of what we do. The Americans are seeking war, and it will come to our shores.

Have we really made that many advances in destroyer technology since we built the Kashins? I was under the impression we'd mostly gotten a couple of 1% reductions in machinery weight. I like and support the push for more destroyers, but I don't know if the cost of an extra design study is warranted given how strapped for cash we are.