Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Dogeh posted:

You are assuming that you'd get a potato?

I'd be the guy that didn't get one... Actually I wouldn't be caught dead sitting there.

Imagine sitting in that room when you suddenly attain self-awareness. Perhaps it's been stifled from years of Reddit battles and Friday nights alone. But somehow, through the miracle of randomly firing neurons, the magnitude of your stupidity is suddenly revealed to you in a blinding flash, and you look around and think, 'I'VE GOT TO GET THE gently caress OUT OF HERE!" I like to believe that happened at this dinner to at least one guy, who has already dumped his ships and is on his way to a (more) normal life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sickens me how Beet is monetizing his popularity.

wait till you see my brand new patreon!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Scruffpuff posted:

Imagine sitting in that room when you suddenly attain self-awareness. Perhaps it's been stifled from years of Reddit battles and Friday nights alone. But somehow, through the miracle of randomly firing neurons, the magnitude of your stupidity is suddenly revealed to you in a blinding flash, and you look around and think, 'I'VE GOT TO GET THE gently caress OUT OF HERE!" I like to believe that happened at this dinner to at least one guy, who has already dumped his ships and is on his way to a (more) normal life.

some slueth was saying the event sold 99% of the "in-stock" ships according to the RSI site or something. I'd chalk it up to an inventory glitch given the choice.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

It's like when you go to the anime convention and, after seeing a couple dozen of fat dudes with naruto headbands, you realize you are one of them. Or at least that's what I have been told dattebayo!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's certainly not a swanky high-end place but I don't really see any reason to insult what looks like a pretty good restaurant due to its association with CIG. The restaurant didn't set that price tag on the event.

We're not, we're highlighting that a schnitzel place near the train station - which is a fairly huge plaza, IIRC - is not what you'd call the most swanky of venues for a cover of around $200 to get a picture, handshake and a few words with the Lord of Bore.

It's fine, and I'd probably go there to eat, but calling 'family style' high end is somewhat hilarious and somewhat fitting for backers who're fine throwing money into virtual assets. Maybe they believe that they're somehow involved? Maybe that's the secret of the whale-juicing, making them feel like part of the process, so they defend it without prompting.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

Speaking of, time to check the fleeing whales in the trades sub again. Again this is all just in the last 24 hours, and only the trades that are going for below the original price.

[WTS] Standalone LTI ships-all originals, no secondhand credits+CCUs
[WTS] Constellation Phoenix 2017 Anniversary, Ursa Fortuna, Drake Buccaneers, and Dragonfly blacks
[PriceCheck] Rear Admiral physical package, LTI Constellation Andromeda, signed silver box, original kickstarter pledge
[PriceCheck]Concierge Account with several LTI ships and buyback options
[WTS] 155 Store Credit at 70%
[PriceCheck] Original backer Digital Scout with Aurora MR LTI and Hangar fees reward, and all rewards from $15mil until today
[WTS]Account liquidation - selling RSI at 70%
[WTS] - star Citizen account $275 - Carrack with LTI, and Berring M7A Laser. Also, backer awards since the 19 million mark.
[WTS] $150 CREDITS @60%
[WTS] Carrack LTI - 300$
[WTS] HULL C - LTI CCU / ARGO SRV - LTI WARBOND / VANGUARD HARBINGER - LTI CCU / APOLLO TRIAGE - LTI CCU
[WTS] Account Star Citizen Full LTI - 1900$
[WTS] Darths Hangar Clearing, Nautilus CCU, LTI, 600 USD

At this point the smart money (by which I mean the traders who were turning a profit- there was never any smart money in SC) is long, long gone- these guys are basically all bag-holders.

How you feeling about that fleet investment MoMA?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

wait till you see my brand new patreon!

Can't believe you're selling Kayak's hair for $49 a strand

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hav posted:

We're not, we're highlighting that a schnitzel place near the train station - which is a fairly huge plaza, IIRC - is not what you'd call the most swanky of venues for a cover of around $200 to get a picture, handshake and a few words with the Lord of Bore.

It's fine, and I'd probably go there to eat, but calling 'family style' high end is somewhat hilarious and somewhat fitting for backers who're fine throwing money into virtual assets. Maybe they believe that they're somehow involved? Maybe that's the secret of the whale-juicing, making them feel like part of the process, so they defend it without prompting.

Oh yeah, agreed. I just thought comparing it to Olive Garden was a bit much. It sounds like it was a good meal, but yeah, no way it was a $275 meal.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

P.S. the trades sub is another gigantic red flag for CIG- they have millions of dollars of "Store currency" circulating that is now rapidly devaluing. They can keep charging 10% old-money markups and it won't loving matter- you can go to that sub right now and get 700 CIG funbux for 490 dollars. Pretty soon it'll be 350 dollars. Why would anyone put new money into this thing when they can take someone else's old money at half price? Or better yet, spend nothing?

Mysteriously, this hasn't impacted the funding numbers that CIG reports at all.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh yeah, agreed. I just thought comparing it to Olive Garden was a bit much. It sounds like it was a good meal, but yeah, no way it was a $275 meal.

Are you saying Olive Garden is not high end? Come on, man, I knew that place was swanky the second the waitress came up with a giant glass jug that looked like a repurposed moonshine jug from a Bugs Bunny cartoon asking WHO WANTS WINE.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
https://youtu.be/H0vgYrMYIC8

Sandworm real?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lol, who want a Nautilus for cheap? Anyone, anyone?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

You should have stuck with the green sauce.

green sauce is totally regional and known only in frankfurt.
i just heard about it by accident once.
i am a little impressed by your knowledge.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This video is incredibly tedious and dumb so don't watch it, but it turns out if your friend lands his space ship on your 890 jump, you can sell *his* cargo and get paid for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpM9QCtLhLM

I guess maybe this is intended as the first iteration of player to player trading, but as it stands right now it means that uhhhhh you can steal from your friends without them being able to stop you lol

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

This video is incredibly tedious and dumb so don't watch it, but it turns out if your friend lands his space ship on your 890 jump, you can sell *his* cargo and get paid for it

I guess maybe this is intended as the first iteration of player to player trading, but as it stands right now it means that uhhhhh you can steal from your friends without them being able to stop you lol

That's so... Star Citizen

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Sarsapariller posted:

P.S. the trades sub is another gigantic red flag for CIG- they have millions of dollars of "Store currency" circulating that is now rapidly devaluing. They can keep charging 10% old-money markups and it won't loving matter- you can go to that sub right now and get 700 CIG funbux for 490 dollars. Pretty soon it'll be 350 dollars. Why would anyone put new money into this thing when they can take someone else's old money at half price? Or better yet, spend nothing?

Buying through the grey market is nice and all but when the prices tank and the game is shut down, your beef will be with the person who sold the account, not CIG. You're trading a steep discount for the right and the legal standing to be upset with CIG. If you buy a used ship, you won't get any of that money back in the event that someone manages to recover some cash from Chris. Both the buyer and seller are deciding that the money is gone and belongs to Chris now.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

So I'd bet anything that what's happening here is an unintended consequence of CIG's hacky bullshit for box carrying.

Someone at CIG (Chris) said "Hey we need to let people carry poo poo onto their ships and make it persistent. It will be exciting. In fact, carrying boxes one by one is the only way to transport things in the future." So they built a system where if you walk a box onto your ship and it becomes part of the ship's physics grid, the ship "Owns" that box.

Then someone at CIG decided that anything that the ship "Owns" should be sellable- both the cargo (fully physical) that exists in the hold, and any boxes that are carried on board. All of it counts as "Owned" by the ship so it will show up in trade consoles- easy peasy!

Well now here comes the difficulty multiplier- one ship with cargo is now landed inside another ship. Oops, the big ship is counting everything in the smaller ship as part of its inventory!

I don't think this is fixable. I'm sure it's not the extent of the bug, either. I wonder how many bugs you could generate, doing poo poo like carrying boxes in between the two ships, or dropping one from the ramp of one ship onto the other, or selling items out of the smaller ship after carrying them in from the big ship. Guaranteed they have not covered a single edge case here.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Sarsapariller posted:

Along with Robertsian Physics, we have Freyermuthian Financials.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Strangler 42 posted:

Buying through the grey market is nice and all but when the prices tank and the game is shut down, your beef will be with the person who sold the account, not CIG. You're trading a steep discount for the right and the legal standing to be upset with CIG. If you buy a used ship, you won't get any of that money back in the event that someone manages to recover some cash from Chris. Both the buyer and seller are deciding that the money is gone and belongs to Chris now.

Nobody's getting any money back from CIG anyway. Anyone buying in now is gonna look at thousand dollar price tags and immediately think about ways to get it cheaper- and hey! Turns out you can get it for 40% off, or more, just by asking. I'm not advocating that anyone buy this stuff- I'm just saying it's going to be a big problem for them.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

So I'd bet anything that what's happening here is an unintended consequence of CIG's hacky bullshit for box carrying.

Someone at CIG (Chris) said "Hey we need to let people carry poo poo onto their ships and make it persistent. It will be exciting. In fact, carrying boxes one by one is the only way to transport things in the future." So they built a system where if you walk a box onto your ship and it becomes part of the ship's physics grid, the ship "Owns" that box.

Then someone at CIG decided that anything that the ship "Owns" should be sellable- both the cargo (fully physical) that exists in the hold, and any boxes that are carried on board. All of it counts as "Owned" by the ship so it will show up in trade consoles- easy peasy!

Well now here comes the difficulty multiplier- one ship with cargo is now landed inside another ship. Oops, the big ship is counting everything in the smaller ship as part of its inventory!

I don't think this is fixable. I'm sure it's not the extent of the bug, either. I wonder how many bugs you could generate, doing poo poo like carrying boxes in between the two ships, or dropping one from the ramp of one ship onto the other, or selling items out of the smaller ship after carrying them in from the big ship. Guaranteed they have not covered a single edge case here.

Does that mean the big ship also owns the smaller ship itself? That would be magical.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
If you want to see fine dining just wait for the next whale feast once they've got hood vents 2.0 working:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Wonder if you could trick the ownership mechanism and sell other playercharacters

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Virtual Captain posted:

Wonder if you could trick the ownership mechanism and sell other playercharacters

Slavery is in!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Does that mean the big ship also owns the smaller ship itself? That would be magical.

Knowing CIG, probably

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm real skeptical that you can even move around with a small ship landed in your hangar. Everything I've seen has shown the big ship parked up for hangar ops, so I don't know. But eventually they have to add some actual ship storage/spawn mechanics unless they think they're going to dictate that every object spawned in the game remain fully physicalized forever.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Rotten Red Rod posted:

According to Yelp, the food is actually pretty good. It's a REALLY big place that has capacity for a lot of people, as it's a converted historic train station. That's probably the main reason it was chosen.

It's certainly not a swanky high-end place but I don't really see any reason to insult what looks like a pretty good restaurant due to its association with CIG. The restaurant didn't set that price tag on the event.

They're actually rated 3 stars on Yelp. The reviews in German dunk on them for pages.

Let me put it to you this way: you're paying Olive Garden prices for mediocre food, crammed in like cattle, and the people around you don't know good food, but think the whole shebang is classy. That's Olive Garden in a nutshell. For 30 Euros a plate more, they could have taken them to a decent steakhouse. But hey, maybe the venue was worth it over shooting eyedaggers all dinner at the guy who managed to score two pieces of garlic bread.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

When will Roberts sell a real concept of a loving dinner?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

gently caress, he signed it, that makes it true

We have to go in the internet time out now

Rotten Red Rod, esq.
2002 vintage FUD Commando
See my anti-SC accomplishments here on the secret tactics forum: You must have a platinum account to view this content

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 27, 2019

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
We have won

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
drat, didn't realize the game is out now and fun. They truly did win.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Did anybody save that Kung Fury video edit where he slaps around a bunch of the really old-school backers like wulfy here? I want to see how many are still around shilling.

e: Signed:

Trucutru, Biggus Biggus Dickus of SA.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 27, 2019

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Awesome. Nothing like a self-confirmed victory lap to declare victory.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Kosumo posted:

He's ok with it cos as you know Beet Wagon is just another Derek Smart alt anyway. (Just like me and you)

So this whole thread is Smart talking to himself? :psyduck:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Usually "high end work receptions" don't charge their employees or guest $276 a pop.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

skeletors_condom posted:

So this whole thread is Smart talking to himself? :psyduck:

You didn't get the memo, Derek?

Derek Smart
Derek Smart, Derek Smart
Ultra-General of Line of Defense's most feared org, the Derek Smarties (join here: You must have a platinum account to view this content)

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I have attended (and hosted) events like this where we were kind of crammed together, but in all those cases the company was paying for it. Either we were being paid to be there or our clients were getting a free meal. They certainly weren't paying premium prices for their plates.

Oh, and they certainly weren't high-end. I haven't seen any "high-end" restaurants that have group capacity rooms like this, even in Vegas. Those tend to me, like you said, medium-end.

My old company took us all to Morton's we were allowed to pick anything off the menu, we could invite our spouse's, we did not pay, we were seated comfortably 5-6 per table, we had unlimited bread and potatos.

I would assume I don't know high end office events.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

trucutru posted:

Reminder: no one gives a poo poo about Squadron 42

Wow "dragon Dildo" crushed SQ42 in early 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Isn't this the dick pick guy? or am I thinking of a different Wulf?