Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Parahexavoctal posted:

That's not what I remember that spell being called...

Yeah my spellbook used to have it as "Mandala's Greater Disjunction"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PMush Perfect posted:

He's been pretty clear in the past that he can't use that campaign setting any more because of an NDA and signing away the rights for the contest, but I don't know how long that lasts for.

And it was almost 20 years ago.

For some reason I thought it was closer to 07/08 but maybe that was just when my friend transitioned us to that setting

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'd thought they removed it in third edition, but I just checked and apparently it was still around until fifth.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Huh. I notice that Belkar - and only Belkar - got a nice deep breath of the mist created when the worm died. Given that the worm was sent by the goddess of death and disease, and that we know Belkar's days are numbered, is it possible that he just caught a nasty disease?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They all still have sphinx pox, and Belkar has so many diseases probably from his lifestyle that that can't get through the door, Mr Burns style

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They all still have sphinx pox, and Belkar has so many diseases probably from his lifestyle that that can't get through the door, Mr Burns style

I think durkon doesn't have Sphinx pox since he was undead and immune when they were all exposed, making him weeks behind on incubation.

"Cure disease. What? It's on the standard cleric spell list, jeez" is pretty likely the resolution to that arc

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Parahexavoctal posted:

That's not what I remember that spell being called...

I'm not sure if this is a nitpick or a really good wordplay on the mandela effect

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

McCloud posted:

I'm not sure if this is a nitpick or a really good wordplay on the mandela effect

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

New Comic

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1177.html

Thor and Loki are the best, worst gods.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Okay that does put a topper on my confusion about Loki's motivations vis a vis self interest vs the greater good

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Loki:I can't ever tell the truth. this sentence is false.
unless gloating - most certainly not a lie as well.
...Or is it? did I cast glibness prior to our conversation?
roll sense motive

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

New Comic

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1177.html

Thor and Loki are the best, worst gods.

Why did Thor say he and Durkon are even now? That feels like a callback to something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why did Thor say he and Durkon are even now? That feels like a callback to something.
Durkon's entire life is built upon faith in Thor (and, very recently, his hammer).

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I just read it as gratitude that Durkon turned his back on the afterlife (possibly forever) in favor of going back to fight Thor’s battle?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Thor will start wearing a bracelet that reads "WWDD?"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Thor will start wearing a bracelet drinking out of a giant tankard that reads "WWDD?"

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Durkon's whole life has been about believing in/trusting Thor. Now Thor has to believe in and trust Durkon and company to save the world.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I dunno, I find that an unsatisfying answer because to my mind a favor for a favor to be "even" involves something of a discrete action for an action. While Durkon is clearly going to continue believing in Thor so...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Durkon did just bet everything on that one toss of the hammer I guess

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Back when Durkon was being resurrected to go find Redcloak, he asked Thor if there was divine aid he could give to help deal with the vampires, because he was worried that his whole resurrection would be pointless if the vampires succeeded before he could even set off on the new quest. While Thor insisted that his hands were tied by the agreements between the gods and that Durkon shouldn't expect anything from him (aside from being told about the magic lightning hammer), he said he'd see what he could do.

On the page when Durkon threw the hammer through the ceiling, before the hammer returns and breaks the table. His mother says (minus the accent) "don't worry, we've still got a chance left" and "it's in Thor's hands now" as the hammer turns around and prepares to come back. Kinda implies that they were hoping to drop the rock on the first hit, the one Durkon aimed himself. When that failed, with Durkon too stone-ified to do anything more, all they could do was have faith and trust in Thor...who may very well have tweaked the return trajectory just a bit to make sure the gamble Durkon bet his life on worked out. After all, like Hel said, that was the perfect time to meddle, with all the other gods too distracted by watching the vote to notice some subtle divine intervention.

If Thor did intervene at that point, then he would have not only fulfilled Durkon's request, but also stuck his neck out and taken a risk for it in the process. Thus they would then be even, since Durkon's next task is to go out and stick his neck out to fulfill a request of Thor's.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Main Paineframe posted:

Back when Durkon was being resurrected to go find Redcloak, he asked Thor if there was divine aid he could give to help deal with the vampires, because he was worried that his whole resurrection would be pointless if the vampires succeeded before he could even set off on the new quest. While Thor insisted that his hands were tied by the agreements between the gods and that Durkon shouldn't expect anything from him (aside from being told about the magic lightning hammer), he said he'd see what he could do.

On the page when Durkon threw the hammer through the ceiling, before the hammer returns and breaks the table. His mother says (minus the accent) "don't worry, we've still got a chance left" and "it's in Thor's hands now" as the hammer turns around and prepares to come back. Kinda implies that they were hoping to drop the rock on the first hit, the one Durkon aimed himself. When that failed, with Durkon too stone-ified to do anything more, all they could do was have faith and trust in Thor...who may very well have tweaked the return trajectory just a bit to make sure the gamble Durkon bet his life on worked out. After all, like Hel said, that was the perfect time to meddle, with all the other gods too distracted by watching the vote to notice some subtle divine intervention.

If Thor did intervene at that point, then he would have not only fulfilled Durkon's request, but also stuck his neck out and taken a risk for it in the process. Thus they would then be even, since Durkon's next task is to go out and stick his neck out to fulfill a request of Thor's.

Thanks! This makes sense!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Well in which case, :golfclap:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man rereading the thing and there is no way Banjo doesn’t play a role in a pivotal moment if you have all those orcs worshipping him and willing him into existence

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Calaveron posted:

Man rereading the thing and there is no way Banjo doesn’t play a role in a pivotal moment if you have all those orcs worshipping him and willing him into existence

Okay first of all, they Don't worship Banjo, they worship Giggles,the god of Slapstick.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Johnny Aztec posted:

Okay first of all, they Don't worship Banjo, they worship Giggles,the god of Slapstick.

Same Pantheon tho. And they did briefly worship Banjo. So it makes sense that the mythology they make up for Giggles will include Banjo in some regard.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
How long has it been since we last saw Banjo?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

On the air boat

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Darth TNT posted:

How long has it been since we last saw Banjo?

In strips or years? :v:

for real though the oots wiki has a "last comic" link in the bio of most characters, which in this case is http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0949.html

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay, I'm usually pretty chill about "it's been HOW LONG" with this comic, but I'm genuinely a bit shocked we've had the art upgrade for more than half the current page count.

e: in my head if you tell me "page 949" I assume that'll be around the time of the battle of Azure City or at most Roy's resurrection

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 28, 2019

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay, I'm usually pretty chill about "it's been HOW LONG" with this comic, but I'm genuinely a bit shocked we've had the art upgrade for more than half the current page count.

This is mindblowing. Like, God, really?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

On checking, no, we definitely haven't. The current page is 1177, and the art upgrade debuted in 947.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

jeebus bob posted:

In strips or years? :v:

for real though the oots wiki has a "last comic" link in the bio of most characters, which in this case is http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0949.html
I didn't know this. Thanks.

On the one hand I'm surprised that people are holding tally of that, on the other hand OOTS is an internet dinosaur with the occasional glacial update pace so this seems like a good idea and I'm thankful that the fans are doing this.

That's dr Banjo though, so I wonder if that means that god Banjo is dead.

edit: Dang it, now I'm reading comics again. :negative:

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 28, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Android Blues posted:

On checking, no, we definitely haven't. The current page is 1177, and the art upgrade debuted in 947.
Turns out I'm not smart enough to tell 1177 from 1771

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Darth TNT posted:

That's dr Banjo though, so I wonder if that means that god Banjo is dead.
He seems fine a bit later on!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

This page also seems like commentary on theories like "Banjo will save the day!"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

Same Pantheon tho. And they did briefly worship Banjo. So it makes sense that the mythology they make up for Giggles will include Banjo in some regard.

They are brothers but also enemies!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Raenir Salazar posted:

This page also seems like commentary on theories like "Banjo will save the day!"

Third: he's a puppet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sebmojo posted:

Third: he's a puppet.

That's no reason he can't ascend to godhood tho. The Dark One used to be a goblin.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's no reason he can't ascend to godhood tho. The Dark One used to be a goblin.

Goblins have enough trouble getting other races to consider them as more than just objects to be slaughtered for experience without you comparing them to a literal object. You unbelievable scumbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, at least he's not a sorcerer.