Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
How do you get the most damage from weapons in Blade and Sorcery? Sometimes I feel like I'm pretty ineffectual and other time I'm lopping dudes heads off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ACValiant posted:

How do you get the most damage from weapons in Blade and Sorcery? Sometimes I feel like I'm pretty ineffectual and other time I'm lopping dudes heads off.

Note on the weapons spawning sheet the different damage. The French Mace has a different damage value depending on where you hit with (big damage for swings on the head of mace, lower damage for thrusts with the pointy end)
For swinging weapons, it's really like hitting a baseball. You get the best results if you connect at full extension. If you adjust your grip mid-swing on heavy 2 handed weapons, you can get lots of power. Pay attention to blade orientation too as you swing. Slapping them hard with the flat of a claymore is very different than getting that blade perpendicular to the target.

Also, adjusting your grip on spears allows you to stabilize the spear with your front hand and let it slide through like a pool cue while thrusting with the back hand. Spears rule. Every unshielded dude goes down fast to a spear.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

GutBomb posted:

Daydream is bad. Like slightly better than google cardboard with nearly no software support. It’s really bad.
Yup. I work at Google as an Android dev and I still think it blows. I was all excited for it, but 3dof + overheating after 15 minutes made it largely useless.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

canyoneer posted:

Note on the weapons spawning sheet the different damage. The French Mace has a different damage value depending on where you hit with (big damage for swings on the head of mace, lower damage for thrusts with the pointy end)
For swinging weapons, it's really like hitting a baseball. You get the best results if you connect at full extension. If you adjust your grip mid-swing on heavy 2 handed weapons, you can get lots of power. Pay attention to blade orientation too as you swing. Slapping them hard with the flat of a claymore is very different than getting that blade perpendicular to the target.

Also, adjusting your grip on spears allows you to stabilize the spear with your front hand and let it slide through like a pool cue while thrusting with the back hand. Spears rule. Every unshielded dude goes down fast to a spear.

Nice. That spear trick sounds awesome and I will try that later tonight.

Does it matter how fast you swing? I think I saw a tip in-game that said something to that effect but I couldn't tell a difference.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So apparently I just shut down the The "Wave" VR live concert by Lindsey Stirling for a few minutes without even knowing it. I kinda wandered on the stage after someone else went up there to check out the character model since the intended distance was so far away you couldn't really make out any details. I figured it must be instanced considering there was someone standing right next to the artist, but I assume it must have been a dev or something. A few people were broadcasting on their mics really quietly, and when I sat down next to the person they said I was hacking and asked me for a high five. I tried to respond, but apparently it was only one way.

I just checked the livestream recording and it looks like I actually walked out onto the broadcast and that's why they did the technical issues filler. What I don't get, if the lady knows I'm standing next to her and am on stream, asks me for a high five and gets one (which obviously means I can hear her...) why the gently caress didn't they just ask me to go back?? I would have just strolled back, but they left me completely oblivious and waited until I just happened to wander back off the stage :v:
I was sat there for like five minutes listening to Lindsey say she didn't know how to fill the time while they experienced technical difficulties.

They cut the video when I walked on stage I assume, but the moment where I walk off stage is actually recorded.

As for the experience itself, I can only call it underwhelming, the effects were well done and optimized, but you could barely see the character model half the time and the actual people in the game were just there to pose as a few live standins with a large fake crowd behind it. There were about 25 people actually in the Wave room as per my headcount.
It seems that the admins were basically filming and shooting poppers but were actually present for all the regular players and just potentially hidden for the stream, although I can't even say that for sure.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

haha that sounds incredibly stupid

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

this is actually hilarious and amazing, what a 100% stupid rear end human in-person experience and none of you were actually there, you are breaking new cyberpunk ground

edit: my only experience with the wave so far was the premier of that glitch mob thing. it was really cool to do with a group of people all on the same wavelength. it creeps me out that there may have been invisible admins there watching.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So I found this stream and it seems like they can't handle showing both the game footage and the camera at the same time because one freezes and fixes and then the other freezes. Also, this is real weird.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

The Walrus posted:

this is actually hilarious and amazing, what a 100% stupid rear end human in-person experience and none of you were actually there, you are breaking new cyberpunk ground

edit: my only experience with the wave so far was the premier of that glitch mob thing. it was really cool to do with a group of people all on the same wavelength. it creeps me out that there may have been invisible admins there watching.

The admins (I assume those people were admins now) were all visible in the game, but considering how they moved all over the stage I would assume they must have been invisible to the stream cameras.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

What I don't get, if the lady knows I'm standing next to her and am on stream, asks me for a high five and gets one (which obviously means I can hear her...) why the gently caress didn't they just ask me to go back?? I would have just strolled back, but they left me completely oblivious and waited until I just happened to wander back off the stage :v:
I was sat there for like five minutes listening to Lindsey say she didn't know how to fill the time while they experienced technical difficulties.

They cut the video when I walked on stage I assume, but the moment where I walk off stage is actually recorded.

I found the missing footage.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
That's so good. I need to see that footage.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Grundulum posted:

I may get my hands on a Lenovo Mirage soon. This is a Daydream headset, and I have been told it requires a modern Android phone for initial setup (which I don’t have). Is there a way to use these devices without owning a smartphone? Bluestacks?

I don't know anything specific about the Mirage's setup process, but I would assume that any phone-paired setup would require either Wifi Direct or Bluetooth, which many PCs don't have the hardware for. It's a lot commoner if you're using a laptop, but even then the emulator would need to support it and I don't know how common that is.

So emulators are worth a try, but failing them you might need to resort to picking up a $20 android phone somewhere, or borrowing time on one from a friend.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1166024266481065984?s=21

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

They're a little late to the party, GearVR had this 3 years ago.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Here's the clip of me walking off the stage at the "Virtual Concert"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK5Jb1vgrgw&t=2610s

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

Jeez, the artifacting on that video. What is this, RealPlayer?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

I wish people would stop using old version DAZ Genesis models as a shortcut for a human avatar.
They have such incredibly creepy expressions.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Anyone have an issue where the nose portion of the vr cover replacement for the rift just kinda hangs there? I can't get it to attach and stay there for the life of me.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Parallelwoody posted:

Anyone have an issue where the nose portion of the vr cover replacement for the rift just kinda hangs there? I can't get it to attach and stay there for the life of me.

you mean the cloth cover things?

Nah, They just suck. Use the leather replacements and wipe them off after using em or swapping to someone else. Unless you're a sweaty boi like me, then get a couple.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Until You Fall just came out on Steam and it's easily the first time I enjoyed melee combat in a VR game.
It's just so well designed and polished and they managed to solve the issue of not being able to move comfortably while using both arms for weapons.
I highly recommend checking it out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/858260/Until_You_Fall/

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I tried out my friends quest and had a great time. Is it the easiest way to play wireless? I have a good computer (1080ti, amd 1700, 32gb ram) so it seems like a waste to not use it. Do I understand correctly that a vive plus a wireless adapter would run me like $750

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 27, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I tried out my friends quest and had a great time. Is it the easiest way to play wireless? I have a good computer (1080ti, amd 1700, 32gb ram) so it seems like a waste to not use it. Do I understand correctly that a vive plus ad as adapter would run me like $750

Vive Pro + Wireless adapter + Index controllers is near 2 grand for a setup.

Cosmos is "Coming soon" which will have the same wireless adapter (300usd + whatever BS thing they need you to buy with. Pro adapter was like 50 bucks..) but you're looking at round 900-1000 for that setup.

If you're ok with Vive wands, you save 300 on the first setup. But index controllers are so good.

Love my pro/wireless setup, but its basically for people who can light money on fire. Real talk.

With all that said. The quest can do ALVR and its 1/2 decent now. If you can stand the delay, might be worth it to give it a shot.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 27, 2019

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for the info. I'll probably wait for the cosmos after doing some googling. Wireless is a must for me, along with using my computer but I don't feel like dropping 2k to do it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Thanks for the info. I'll probably wait for the cosmos after doing some googling. Wireless is a must for me, along with using my computer but I don't feel like dropping 2k to do it.

NP.

To be 100% honest though. Until I owned wireless, I didn't really feel like I needed it. Even with full room scale stuff you sorta get used to it and forget its there. Becomes kinda second nature to turn each way so many times etc.

With that said.
Wireless owns bones. Its why I don't have an index. No wireless yet.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

EbolaIvory posted:

Vive Pro + Wireless adapter + Index controllers is near 2 grand for a setup.

And the Vive sucks and is pointless now, to boot.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Fuzz posted:

And the Vive sucks and is pointless now, to boot.

In your opinion sure. Its the only option with wireless currently though. And until Valve makes one, Its literally THE choice for anyone needing wireless. Sooooooo

Keep in mind. I don't own an index simply because wireless does not exist. Its def a better headset, but without wireless its useless to me, and other people. Oddly know quite a few people who went vive pro + wireless + knuckles instead of index when index launched. Mostly content creators, But hey.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
If Valve does make a wireless add-on, I can't help but think it'll be pretty expensive.

Decided to go back to Talos Principle and Serious Sam First Encounter VR.

I keep getting a lot better at the motion sickness thing. I remember the first time I fired up the game when I got the Index, I nearly fell down when I first moved. Now with smooth locomotion on everything I can enjoy the game. Turning seems to create a little bit of a screen tear which is annoying. For whatever reason the official Index Controller configuration has Jump located both on button A and grip. So today I learned how to mess with Index Controller bindings through Steam VR and deleted jump off the grip. I'll have to experiment with bindings when messing with Skyrim and No Man's Sky.

Serious Sam, I made everything smooth locomotion. It seems though Croteam hasn't made much of an effort to properly bind movement functions to Index Controller thumbsticks. Kind of annoying seeing Vive controllers pop up in the game menu. My issue is that when I barely touch the thumbstick, I blast forward. I haven't gotten the chance to check SteamVR controller config to see if it's fixable, but it sure is an oversight by Croteam. I couldn't locate a fix on that through their in game options.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ijii posted:

Serious Sam, I made everything smooth locomotion. It seems though Croteam hasn't made much of an effort to properly bind movement functions to Index Controller thumbsticks. Kind of annoying seeing Vive controllers pop up in the game menu. My issue is that when I barely touch the thumbstick, I blast forward. I haven't gotten the chance to check SteamVR controller config to see if it's fixable, but it sure is an oversight by Croteam. I couldn't locate a fix on that through their in game options.

Those games came out years before the index controllers did. How is that an oversight?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Croteam games should have configurable movement speeds. It's silly that they hardcoded the vive controller models when SteamVR has a perfectly good API to fetch models of whatever the user has plugged in though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'd be wary of the Cosmos tbh. They're still pretty cagey on the hardware details, and the camera placement on it involved a last-minute change that still looks pretty sketchy to me.

If you have a good PC, start with a Vive and work up from there piecemeal to a wireless adapter (and Index controllers, and a Pro/Index HMD, and....). The Lighthouse ecosystem is a lot more flexible about long-term upgrades, and I think it'd suit your situation better.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Been playing Mage's Tale on and off for awhile now and I think I like everything about it except for the locomotion. I really wish it had some sort of walk in place support. I normally use Natural Locomotion to add it to games that don't have it natively, but it's not supported as far as I can tell.

Edit: that and how dark everything is on the Vive. It's hard to tell if a wall is breakable with how deep the shadows are.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 28, 2019

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks Neddy, I appreciate the advice. I am just now reading up on all the options. Up until 2 days ago I thought VR was always wired and that just doesn't do it for me.

TBH I'm surprised there are only two options. I figured every system would have a way to do it considering oculous has it in a standalone unit.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd be wary of the Cosmos tbh. They're still pretty cagey on the hardware details

quote:

Introducing VIVE Cosmos , a new premium PC VR system and a vision of the virtual future. It conforms to your wants and your needs with surprising ease and versatility. Whether you are new to VR or familiar, a fantastic voyage awaits. VIVE Cosmos goes beyond everything you could want in one device.

C'mon, how many more details do you need to know?!? :shepspends:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ralith posted:

Croteam games should have configurable movement speeds. It's silly that they hardcoded the vive controller models when SteamVR has a perfectly good API to fetch models of whatever the user has plugged in though.

Why would you assume they hardcoded Vive controllers? The API to get models wouldn't work to get index controllers years before index controllers were created. Croteam stepped back from VR development due to it being unprofitable years ago.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Delta-Wye posted:

C'mon, how many more details do you need to know?!? :shepspends:
This reads like it's straight out of zombo.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxWwEPeUuAg

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why they haven't updated it to HTML5 yet? Also, why is it blocked by Pi Hole?

Also, SteamVR Beta comes with the scanline pixel inversion mitigation for the Index now. Anyone tried it yet?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 28, 2019

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

EbolaIvory posted:

With all that said. The quest can do ALVR and its 1/2 decent now. If you can stand the delay, might be worth it to give it a shot.
For what it's worth, delay is the one thing I didn't have issue with streaming ALVR on Quest. There's some rough stuff (occasional tracking glitches, or the weirdest bug I've found yet on my setup - loud, high-pitched noises drastically lower the video quality for a second) but just waving my hands around with nearly imperceptible latency on a wireless connection blew my mind

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Since I have two spare Vive controllers, has anyone experimented with repurposing those? I was thinking I should be able to do some foottracking with them, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you mean with Index, I think they don't work with the version two lighthouse stations unless you have the special vive pro ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

If you mean with Index, I think they don't work with the version two lighthouse stations unless you have the special vive pro ones.

No, anything V1-compatible works with V2 lighthouses aside from the very first Tracker version. What you might be thinking of is the Pro wands don't work with V1 lighthouses (I think that's it, I know there's some weird exception like that).

Edit: Huh, HTC says you're right. Coulda sworn the lighthouse 2's ran OG Vive hardware.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 28, 2019