Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

They would hold an election after they have forced this through?

"We're only seizing power until the present emergency has passed" is the standard justification for a coup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Welcome to Britain's Reichstag Fire Decree.

I'll see you all in the gulag.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Vlex posted:

GOOD THING THE LIBDEMS HAVE BEEN PISSING ABOUT ON A TECHNICALITY

This prevents Jeremy Corbyn from Being Bad in No. 10.

All worth it!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Could someone save and cache the names of everyone that didn’t support the last vonc, there will be uses for it down the line.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Haha Haha :suicide:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Welcome to Britain's Reichstag Fire Decree.

I'll see you all in the gulag.

Gulags are the good camps that we get to run. It'll be the konzentrationslager for us.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jeremy Corbyn Alternate Parliament run from the shed on his allotment

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Will she, though? This feels a bit politically involved for her tastes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

Which they can't be, because Parliament isn't sitting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't Parliament say 'gently caress you Queenie' and sit anyway? ISTR the Speaker has said words along those lines, and there is definitely precedent (:thermidor:)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Will she, though? This feels a bit politically involved for her tastes.

Asking is a formality. Political involvement would be her saying no.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Remember a few pages ago when I said don't get your hopes up...

guess who is feeling :smug: right now

Smug and petrified. Heres me on the last flight out of heathrow on oct 31st

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Chuka Umana posted:

btw can anyone tell me why all high streets look like rear end? There’s not an aesthetically pleasing place to shop (or get non corporate chain poo poo) outside of London

They're like any other ancient relic, they exist to gawp at and to appease the olds, not to serve a functional purpose.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

And you also have to bear in mind just how many of your support structures and mechanisms you rely on, and eliminate them from consideration when you're answering. Like, for her, the questions of 'can you prepare a meal unaided' is complex, because she can - with the aid of her wheelchair, the adaptations we've made to our kitchen, and a lot more time and effort for a worse meal than average. So the answer, strictly, is no - because all the aids she uses to prepare that meal, aren't HER, and she, on her own, absolutely cannot prepare a meal. But if you're not prepared to be that aggressively defensive, you might say yes - which is the answer they're looking for, to mark off against your chance of getting benefits.
I guess the best answer for this situation is 'not without help.' And as you say, you have to be very careful with how you answer because even a 'well technically yes, but with a ton of difficulty and physical pain' becomes 'yes' on their reports.

I have been told I should be applying for at least PIP, but honestly reading the stories of people who were turned down I have absolutely no confidence that I'd get it. I look normal. My condition is high functioning and the whole point is that I have learned to hide that I struggle - this does not mean however that I'm not struggling.

Ian Duncan Smith is the most evil bastard imaginable.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 28, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Ratjaculation posted:

Remember a few pages ago when I said don't get your hopes up...

guess who is feeling :smug: right now

Smug and petrified. Heres me on the last flight out of heathrow on oct 31st

I literally fly out at 10pm 31st October for three weeks. I'm wondering if there will be a country to return to at this rate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HJB posted:

They're like any other ancient relic, they exist to gawp at and to appease the olds, not to serve a functional purpose.
Thought we were still talking about the Queen's role in Parliament.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Sharpen your pointy sticks gentlegoons. It's going to get nasty in Blighty.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

josh04 posted:

This is surely going to kick off. It's basically a coup?

Holy poo poo. We should never have let the nobility estate get influence to 100%

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Lol, there's already an article in the New Statesman saying that opposing Johnson's proroguing of parliament is playing into his hands.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbmWs6Jf5dc

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jedit posted:

Asking is a formality. Political involvement would be her saying no.

The Queen has tried to make everything she has to do a formality, but the problem is the royals take political damage regardless of which side of this line she jumps down on - the FBPEs will be calling for a republic as soon as the queen doesn't save them.

Edit: how long till protests in London start, if at all?

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

josh04 posted:

Lol, there's already an article in the New Statesman saying that opposing Johnson's proroguing of parliament is playing into his hands.

If its the Stephen Bush one it looks to me like it's actually arguing "lol, we're hosed anyway this doesn't change how hosed we are significantly"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

As someone watching from the other side of the world

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The Queen has tried to make everything she has to do a formality, but the problem is the royals take political damage regardless of which side of this line she jumps down on - the FBPEs will be calling for a republic as soon as the queen doesn't save them.

As discussed last time, they won't start in any meaningful (i.e. actually disruptive to the business of capitalism) way until afterwards.

Unfortunately.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

josh04 posted:

Not sure if you meant Stephen Bush's article, but I think this is a pretty reasonable take:

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1166634302479769601

quote:

But what it does do is it sets up a showdown in Parliament next week that would give Johnson the pretext to stand outside Downing Street, decry the bad behaviour of MPs and go to the country on a “don’t let politicians steal Brexit” ticket before 31 October – which increasingly looks like the government’s real first preference, rather than pursuing a no-deal Brexit with such a fragile parliamentary majority.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

he FBPEs will be calling for a republic as soon as the queen doesn't save them.

LMAO, no they won't. Like five of them will but the rest are all Loyal Subjects.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You think they'll blame someone other than Corbyn? Optimistic of you.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/libdemfightbac/status/1166633052107419649

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Nothingtoseehere posted:

https://twitter.com/EmmaKennedy/status/1166623220352634880?s=19

Lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Niric posted:

Not sure if you meant Stephen Bush's article, but I think this is a pretty reasonable take:

It's a continuation of what was consistently the wrong take with Theresa May: that some minor strategic advantage is the "real reason" the PM keeps doing exactly the things that the hard Brexiteers want to happen.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

Dear Maj,

I don't like Brexit and Boris Johnson is doing what I don't like.

Please stop him because for some made reason you are the actual font of state authority.

Sincerely,

Emma Kennedy
Emma Kennedy's Brainworms

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Niric posted:

Yeah Boris would absolutely trade Brexit happening this year or even ever for a large majority.

This is why I've been so against Labour siding with Remain, there's enough right wing and Leaver sentiment to make Labour lose any election if they are seen as stopping Brexit against the will of the people.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Paul.Power posted:

Then again I always thought Swansea city centre looked all right while my parents hate it, so maybe I'm not the best judge :shrug:.
:lol: are you like 90? Because Swansea centre used to be gorgeous, before it got levelled in the war & never quite put right again since the copper mines had dried up so nobody cared. Here's what the High Street used to look like:

(e: non-Jacks might be imagining a regular ol' High Street there now. It is not that. Better than it used to be in that there's actually a few non-boarded up buildings and I haven't seen anyone openly smoking crack in broad daylight there in a few years, but it is not good)

And the old Kingsway roundabout, before they turned it into an underpass/heroin dungeon in the '70s (it's now basically a pile of traffic cones marking out whatever complex junction the Council has decided it's gonna be this week):

I've had loads of friends visit from elsewhere who go home convinced Swansea's beautiful though, but that's because I'll carefully curate the bits that they get to see. I'll take them round the marina, maybe up to Rosehill or round to Mumbles, possibly Clyne Gardens if they feel like a walk. Never the loving centre.

There's loads of pretty places to shop in England though, basically any market town, plus every village in the South East (where the money is)

Paul.Power posted:

I understand good things are happening in Preston?
I'm actually in Preston all week next week, so any recommendations on where to eat & drink are appreciated

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 28, 2019

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

just because you're all babies doesn't mean there's a sitter
(stolen from UNHhhh)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Paul.Power posted:

"Aesthetically pleasing" is kind of subjective, mind. Like, I reckon Barry town centre looks pretty good, all things considered. But I'm also not expecting someone to cross half the country to shop there.

Then again I always thought Swansea city centre looked all right while my parents hate it, so maybe I'm not the best judge :shrug:.

I understand good things are happening in Preston?
Barry Town Centre is quite nice and hasn't QUITE got the constant same 5 shops copy pasted over it which it has going for it. Plus the library is quite a nice building. :)

Shame about the locals mind (I say, living in Barry).

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Totnes seems to have a decent high street, due to its fending off most chains. But it does have a massive toff problem and a really lovely mp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

josh04 posted:

It's a continuation of what was consistently the wrong take with Theresa May: that some minor strategic advantage is the "real reason" the PM keeps doing exactly the things that the hard Brexiteers want to happen.

Ok, I see what you mean now, that's a fair point. I suppose I see a slight distinction now though in that commentators seem to at least vaguely grasp, at long last, that no deal is a plausible (even most likely) option in a way that they didn't seem to with May - and to be fair to Stephen Bush he's been saying that for a while. Previously you got the impression from Sensible Opinion Havers that they thought May was doing something clever by giving Brexiters what they want as part of a wider manoeuvre specifically away from No Deal. The suggestion here is less "Johnson is cleverly avoiding no deal" than "Johnson wants to play the victim in front of the electorate." Which might work.

Also, as someone pointed out in the office the other day, October 31st is a Thursday...

Niric fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 28, 2019

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

LongLongView CIF posted:

I live in Opposite Land:
Where the young and foolish are wiser than their elders
Where we pick the weakest candidates to lead the country.
Where the leader of the Labour Party is handmaiden to a right wing plot.
Where the blind see unicorns.
Where liars are respected as visionaries.
Where old Etonians have the back of the poor.
Where former colonies will come back begging for more.
Where fishing is more valuable than finance.
Where making hoovers in Malaysia is more important than making cars in Sunderland.
Where we Take Back Control from our own government and give it to Dublin, Paris and Berlin instead.
Where Brexiteer free traders can't agree deals even within their own team.
Where the 'Conservative' Party is filled with wide eyed, tear it all down revolutionaries.
Where Unionists undermine the Union.
Where Murdoch is an honest torchbearer for Truth and Freedom and the Rights of the Common Man.
Where the formerly pragmatic Telegraph has turned into a propaganda rag.
Where having a vote to confirm the will of the people, to see if they can stomach all this magnificence, would be undemocratic.
– By: LongLongView CIF, 21/08/2019.

(bolded in original)

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Ratjaculation posted:

Totnes seems to have a decent high street, due to its fending off most chains. But it does have a massive toff problem and a really lovely mp

Yeah it's a nice high street but it didn't stop me from getting jumped by the local drunks outside the pub in that photo.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Vlex posted:

Yeah it's a nice high street but it didn't stop me from getting jumped by the local drunks outside the pub in that photo.

Can you blame me... have you seen yourself :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Dominic Grieve is doing his usual hem-haw 'let's do a procedural dance instead'.

Starting to think that even he doesn't have the guts to vote for a VONC after all his Brexit is bad.