Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"Allo Liz"

"Allo Jez"

"Gonna gently caress im up yeh"

"Go f'it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

TACD posted:

lol what’s the last thing the general public did that had any affect on brexit?

probably returning an ungovernable parliament in the 2017 election

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tsaedje posted:

It's ok a change.org petition will save us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T72TopWbXJg

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

TACD posted:

lol what’s the last thing the general public did that had any affect on brexit?

The reason Brexit didn’t happen last time is that both May’s deal and no deal were very unpopular.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Olpainless posted:

Be a pile of gullible boomer fucks that swallowed the lies about it to make it happen

Now now we have no evidence that Tess is that old

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Remember, Brexit is about democracy

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

lmao check this out for some sensitive content :nws::nms:
https://twitter.com/EtonOldBoys/status/1166660495342018561

Not seeing any serious trade unionists on the #generalstrike thing (or hearing any chatter on any of my WhatsApp groups). There's the occasional
https://twitter.com/spaceangel1964/status/1166677537965129729
, but mostly it's just
https://twitter.com/AdventuresJoint/status/1166683657505058817
:laugh:

e: idk why those didn't embed

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Reading that "Johnson suspends UK parliament" headline was a loving scare, let me tell you. I'm glad it's (for now :ohdear:) a false alarm by an idiot journalist.

Stay safe, UK goons :ohdear:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1166678632254906368

She writes like Mark David Chapman.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Omobono posted:

Reading that "Johnson suspends UK parliament" headline was a loving scare, let me tell you. I'm glad it's (for now :ohdear:) a false alarm by an idiot journalist.

Stay safe, UK goons :ohdear:

It's definitely going to happen, it just hasn't quite happened yet.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

She's such a posturing loving waste of oxygen.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think you understand how specials betting works. By definition a specials bet is long odds because it's something that's unlikely, but it has to be something that's within the realms of possibility or there'd be no market for it. Nobody's offering a market on whether the sun will rise in the west tomorrow. Also on broad non-exclusive markets like those two I posted there's no point in offering a lay because the odds will be way too short for anyone to be interested. If you absolutely must, I'm sure you could find an exchange that would let you lay that bet, but I'm pretty sure you'd need to put up several grand before your winnings round down to zero.

Although you're right to say specials often used for marketing purposes, this pre-dates Paddy Power by decades if not centuries. Bookies were offering odds on the Loch Ness Monster being captured before WWI.

My point is more that on specials the odds are essentially jokes and marketing decisions, not in any sense reflective of the odds a bookie actually has on something happening. The bookie puts on the odds they think will make the most money and generate publicity, not the odds they think are actually accurate. They can put an event which is a million to one on at ten to one because making the punter think an event is more possible than it actually is increases betting. I know that might seem obvious, but maybe I’m jaded because I’ve seen way to many people treat odds from bookies like they’re the chances the bookie thinks of things actually happening. You see it all the time in the media especially around elections.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

She's such a posturing loving waste of oxygen.

I often think that she's self promoting to the point of parody. I feel I was the first to make that observation. I said it on twitter and she blocked me. I wonder why she was so afraid of that comment.

Me. ME. ME!

Anyway the coup was over in about 20 minutes and done before the opposition even got a say.

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1166688556410179584

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

gently caress off Jess Philips, gently caress Off Forever.

Please just gently caress off to your New Statesman column and spot on Strictly.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Really come to terms with my own mortality in the last few months

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

" Do that ", Corbyn? I'm not a comic book villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my masterstroke to you if there were even the slightest possibility you could affect the outcome? I hosed it 35 minutes ago.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Is the Actual Mattering finally upon us, or will this turn into yet another dumbfuck nothing?

I seriously can't tell anymore after the last two years of false starts.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

My point is more that on specials the odds are essentially jokes and marketing decisions, not in any sense reflective of the odds a bookie actually has on something happening. The bookie puts on the odds they think will make the most money and generate publicity, not the odds they think are actually accurate. They can put an event which is a million to one on at ten to one because making the punter think an event is more possible than it actually is increases betting. I know that might seem obvious, but maybe I’m jaded because I’ve seen way to many people treat odds from bookies like they’re the chances the bookie thinks of things actually happening. You see it all the time in the media especially around elections.

That's true when you're dealing with "Elvis to return riding Shergar" type bets, but political specials generally track sentiment.

I fully agree that punters are loving idiots and the odds are meaningless as predictors though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Junior G-man posted:

Is the Actual Mattering finally upon us, or will this turn into yet another dumbfuck nothing?

my bet is on dumbfuck nothing for another 2 years at least

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Borrovan posted:

lmao check this out for some sensitive content :nws::nms:
https://twitter.com/EtonOldBoys/status/1166660495342018561

Not seeing any serious trade unionists on the #generalstrike thing (or hearing any chatter on any of my WhatsApp groups). There's the occasional
https://twitter.com/spaceangel1964/status/1166677537965129729
, but mostly it's just
https://twitter.com/AdventuresJoint/status/1166683657505058817
:laugh:

e: idk why those didn't embed

Because you put nws and nms emoticons in your post IIRC. Let's see.

e: :tipshat:

Sereri fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 28, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

*zot*

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Sereri posted:

Because you put nws and nms emoticons in your post IIRC. Let's see.

e: :tipshat:
Put them back, Goveposting at lunch time :vomarine:

(that's actually pretty smart tho)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so I don't know the historical context for this poo poo, is there any odds at all the queen actually shuts down parliament or is this just bojo trying to posture a bit to show how SERIOUS AND REAL he is?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

sexpig by night posted:

so I don't know the historical context for this poo poo, is there any odds at all the queen actually shuts down parliament or is this just bojo trying to posture a bit to show how SERIOUS AND REAL he is?

Pretty sure we've had like 2 civil wars over this kind of poo poo

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Junior G-man posted:

I have a good feeling still towards it happening.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Pretty sure we've had like 2 civil wars over this kind of poo poo

Yeah but that was when the Monarch was the actual, practical leader of the body politic, not the figurehead in whose name poo poo is done.

I mean, poo poo may go down, but I very much doubt we'd have another Charles I. Maybe you could gloriously restore some minor cadet branch of the Plantagenets?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

Unfortunately the shutdown happening is the default "non-political" approach of the Queen following the PM's instructions. Preventing it is what would require her going rogue and actively intervening, which there's zero chance she will do.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Junior G-man posted:

Yeah but that was when the Monarch was the actual, practical leader of the body politic, not the figurehead in whose name poo poo is done.

I mean, poo poo may go down, but I very much doubt we'd have another Charles I. Maybe you could gloriously restore some minor cadet branch of the Plantagenets?

Francis of Bavaria is our rightful heir of the Stewarts :agesilaus:

I'm worried at some point my ironic stanning for the heir of the Stewarts will become sincere.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 28, 2019

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Junior G-man posted:

We need to track down a godwin

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

so maybe put the UKMT podcast project on hold, we've got a couple months to form the UKMT Black Hand

e ill make the wiki

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Make me the king of England but also let me continue being a professional wrestler

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Francis of Bavaria is our rightful heir of the Stewarts :agesilaus:

That would be amazing if you did, because then this guy would become the King of England, Prince of Bavaria and (actively ruling) Prince of Liechtenstein if the line of succession held.

I love these rabbit holes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Junior G-man posted:

That would be amazing if you did, because then this guy would become the King of England, Prince of Bavaria and (actively ruling) Prince of Liechtenstein if the line of succession held.

Through this I found out the current Prince of Lichtenstein tried to patent basmati rice for fucksake.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Man this country is hosed.

Gonna start building some barracades at the start of my street and start enforcing my own local law

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Gonzo McFee posted:

Anyway the coup was over in about 20 minutes and done before the opposition even got a say.

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1166688556410179584

help me, a dumbass, understand - does this mean that they've officially requested the queen perogue parliament and now we're just waiting on Liz to Activate?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Junior G-man posted:

There is no Prince of Bavaria

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

peanut- posted:

Unfortunately the shutdown happening is the default "non-political" approach of the Queen following the PM's instructions. Preventing it is what would require her going rogue and actively intervening, which there's zero chance she will do.

hey I know as the american with the original big wet fascist I've got the thinnest glass house around me when I say this but still, lol cool system of governance ya got there.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1166631844655304704

I'm massively skeptical of Boris losing a VONC - Tories gonna Tory, after all. Also Swinson gonna Swinson.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

There is no Prince of Bavaria

Apologies, Duke of Bavaria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so just for clarity with the current state of things, does bojo still have until some time in October to get a brexit deal before the EU just says 'ok gently caress it, hard brexit we're done with this poo poo'? Is that what this scam is, just shut parliament down so there's no choice but 'aw gee the evil EU is FORCING us to do this'?