Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA I corrected my gay friend on his sexual history at the blood drive we went to together and he got deferred as a result. Now he is angry with me.

A friend/co-worker of mine came back furious that he was deferred for blood donation this afternoon at the blood drive because he is a gay man. As far as I know (from what he tells me), he is monogamous with his husband and has had several negative HIV tests in the past.

When we arrived we needed to fill out a questionnaire and we were doing it together. There was a question about whether he has had sex with a man in the past 12 months and he answered no. I said to him that’s not accurate because he told me for a fact he and his husband had a lot of sex while on vacation in Maui in July. He said that doesn’t count because he and his husband are monogamous and have been together for 5+ years. I told him pretty objectively that the questionnaire isn’t asking him that.

The staff must have overheard our conversation and came to explain to my friend why he is ineligible to donate at this time. Apparently the federal guidelines for blood donation stipulate that men who have sex with men (MSM) must abstain from sex with men for 12 months before they are eligible to give blood. While they test all donors for infectious agents, the tests can be falsely negative if the gay or bisexual donor contract HIV or some STI just before donating and is still in the “window period” before the tests come up positive.

This makes perfect sense to me and I was trying to explain to my friend why the staff needed to turn him away. Even though self-reports can be truthful, creating a policy around data and clinical experience with MSM makes perfect sense to me. I’m sure we all know gay people who are lovely and responsible. But I was trying to explain to my friend why the clinical people at the CDC or FDA or whatever cannot rely on anecdotes when making policy.

Well now he is ignoring me and telling his husband I’m a homophobe. Even though I feel really bad for him, I don’t think I was unreasonable.

Update: My friend and I had a discussion about this. He actually apologized for the way he reacted yesterday and we talked it out this morning. I also showed him the post and the comments here and he has very strong opinions about some of what people have written but I will not repeat them. Thank you everyone for the information and constructive thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Whoops

Scathach fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 28, 2019

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA I corrected my gay friend on his sexual history at the blood drive we went to together and he got deferred as a result. Now he is angry with me.

A friend/co-worker of mine came back furious that he was deferred for blood donation this afternoon at the blood drive because he is a gay man. As far as I know (from what he tells me), he is monogamous with his husband and has had several negative HIV tests in the past.

When we arrived we needed to fill out a questionnaire and we were doing it together. There was a question about whether he has had sex with a man in the past 12 months and he answered no. I said to him that’s not accurate because he told me for a fact he and his husband had a lot of sex while on vacation in Maui in July. He said that doesn’t count because he and his husband are monogamous and have been together for 5+ years. I told him pretty objectively that the questionnaire isn’t asking him that.

The staff must have overheard our conversation and came to explain to my friend why he is ineligible to donate at this time. Apparently the federal guidelines for blood donation stipulate that men who have sex with men (MSM) must abstain from sex with men for 12 months before they are eligible to give blood. While they test all donors for infectious agents, the tests can be falsely negative if the gay or bisexual donor contract HIV or some STI just before donating and is still in the “window period” before the tests come up positive.

This makes perfect sense to me and I was trying to explain to my friend why the staff needed to turn him away. Even though self-reports can be truthful, creating a policy around data and clinical experience with MSM makes perfect sense to me. I’m sure we all know gay people who are lovely and responsible. But I was trying to explain to my friend why the clinical people at the CDC or FDA or whatever cannot rely on anecdotes when making policy.

Well now he is ignoring me and telling his husband I’m a homophobe. Even though I feel really bad for him, I don’t think I was unreasonable.

Update: My friend and I had a discussion about this. He actually apologized for the way he reacted yesterday and we talked it out this morning. I also showed him the post and the comments here and he has very strong opinions about some of what people have written but I will not repeat them. Thank you everyone for the information and constructive thoughts.

now this is a guy who has an opinion on dress codes

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Surprise! You're a homophobe! Also stupid as poo poo.

God why do people suck so bad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rubellavator posted:

Just imagine the disgusting old people you work with coming into work in tank tops and shorts and you can begin to understand the idea of a dress code.

We actually don't have anyone older than 30! We tried, but all of the older people came in either with a bunch of preconceived notions for how everything works or having really weird personality quirks that make you realize why they're 50 and unable to hold down a job for more than a year.

As far as young people go, we only had two really scummy guys anyway. One got fired for being hideously incompetent at everything and bragging about how smart he was, the other got fired after we caught him using our card makers to make a fake ID.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Motronic posted:

As long as you you stand up from your desk at the end of the day and proclaim "I'M PUNCHIN' OUT!", rip it off and walk out of the office I don't see a problem.

For us you have to be beyond the doorway of the office than you can tearaway.

hawowanlawow posted:

it's because the guy keeps saying it's inappropriate instead of just throwing his hands up and going "boy yeah it's pretty stupid" like everyone else
I feel I covered that though.

Coredump posted:

I can definitely think on instances where we've sent students to assist staff in various locations in the college and have later received complaints about students not being dressed appropriately for the office they were assisting in. The thing is for us, we don't know where we may have to send a student that day, so they need to be dressed to a minimum standard.

If that doesn't answer it then it would along the lines of why a polo shirt is acceptable for regular staff to wear but a t-shirt is not (for full time college staff). Each place of employment will usually draw a line SOMEWHERE of what the minimum is. As for where exactly that line is drawn for each place, that would be a thread in itself. Where I worked we asked for polos and pants but if you managed to show in t-shirt and pants that worked. The students wanted to be able to wear shorts and I wanted them to as well but for our department that was a no go.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's almost like it doesn't matter and arbitrary dress codes are sexist and unfairly forced!

We have definitely made male student workers change for holes in knees, etc. We had one kid who his belly kept being exposed every time he raised his arms and some of my other student workers complained to me about it saying it made them uncomfortable and it was gross. That student worker was told to either wear longer shirts he could tuck in or wear undershirts so as to not expose himself.

I worked with a very diverse set of students. Not everyone has the same comfort level in regards to levels of exposure of dress.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh my loving god.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Isn't college supposed to push you out of your comfort zones? Like if someone can't deal with seeing another student's belly they're not going to deal with the real world well at all lol.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to take down a picture of my fiancés daughter from my Instagram at her moms request?

So my fiancé has a 6 year old from a previous relationship and the other day I posted a picture of her me and my fiancé on my Instagram. I haven’t posted her on there in the past because my fiancé didn’t want me to, but the other day he gave In and said I could post this really cute pic of us. The reason he didn’t originally want her on my Instagram was because I have like 35k followers...a lot of them being random men who often leave sexual comments under my pics and he didn’t like the thought of them having her pic or commenting on her. But he’s kinda realized that he can’t hide her from the world and wants me to be able to post pictures of our family.

So it was all fine until his mom messages me on Instagram like ‘I’m not sure it’s appropriate to post pictures of (his daughter) on your page. There’s a lot of strange men on your account and I know his ex would not be happy with it...I’m very surprised (my fiancé) is ok with you letting post pics of her on there...’

So I’m like ‘hey, I appreciate your concern but if there’s any inappropriate comments or anything I’ll delete and block them. Your son is fine with it. Hope you’re well :)

So she messages him and tells him I should take the picture down. He’s like no it’s fine...

So a few days later it gets back to his ex...his ex messages him and tells him to tell me to not post her child on my account and says if I don’t remove her pic then she’s getting her lawyer involved. He’s like ‘go on then?’....every time she gets her lawyer involved we win or nothing happens so we were like ok? we’re not doing anything wrong?

The thing is, I’m not actually trying to disrespect her mom or anything, but his daughter is a part of my life now too and I don’t think I should have to hide her...I wanna be able to post cute pics of us all together and he’s said it’s ok...he’s just as much his kid as she is her moms ?

So do you think were in the right here?

Huge, gaping rear end in a top hat. Don't post pics of other people's kids online. Or your own kids until they are old enough to decide if they want their picture to be online.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scathach posted:

Isn't college supposed to push you out of your comfort zones? Like if someone can't deal with seeing another student's belly they're not going to deal with the real world well at all lol.

HR managers need their safe space where they’re able to pretend skin is fake.

Imagine being the kind of person who goes into conniptions over a shirt riding up slightly by accident.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Scathach posted:

the more valuable lesson is that high school never actually ends and rats always win

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

HR managers need their safe space where they’re able to pretend skin is fake.

Imagine being the kind of person who goes into conniptions over a shirt riding up slightly by accident.

At your place of work, where is the line drawn for what you have to wear?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Wearing a Batman tank top to work today on my "fat" size 10 body. gently caress the heat, fuzzy armpits out.

Working with dementia patients is pretty alright.

E still can't believe people are such dicks about weddings. Like seriously.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Coredump posted:

At your place of work, where is the line drawn for what you have to wear?

Normal clothes? Just look like a regular person coming in and out. If you’re not outright wearing underwear, a bikini, or your pajamas I won’t really care or notice. The only time I would draw anything stricter is if there’s a chance of someone who is a conservative prick showing up and throwing a fit because someone had a hole in their jeans. People show up all the time in shorts or dresses with exposed shoulders. I’ve come in shorts and an aloha shirt covered in WW2 aircraft because I was going straight to a tiki bar after work.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Normal clothes? Just look like a regular person coming in and out. If you’re not outright wearing underwear, a bikini, or your pajamas I won’t really care or notice. The only time I would draw anything stricter is if there’s a chance of someone who is a conservative prick showing up and throwing a fit because someone had a hole in their jeans. People show up all the time in shorts or dresses with exposed shoulders. I’ve come in shorts and an aloha shirt covered in WW2 aircraft because I was going straight to a tiki bar after work.

Bare midriffs ok?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jesus Christ shut up

Girlfriend (26) started antagonizing me (32) over a song I was listening to. I said something back, she escalated, and we haven't spoken since.

quote:

Yesterday I was minding my own business, trying to get some work done on my laptop and listening to music. A song I like, Lua, by Bright Eyes started playing. My girlfriend started mocking it, singing along and replacing the lyrics with stuff like "I'm a low test male," and I was like, "Hey, don't make fun of Bright Eyes, this is good stuff," but she kept going, "I make my voice sound all shaky so it sounds like I'm crying." And I'm just so blind-sided, like, where is this all coming from? She continues, "I'm 200,000 dollars in debt because I got an art degree."

That last one hurt. Maybe she didn't mean to direct it at me but I'm in a lot of debt over going to school for an art degree. This comment she made is like the third time in the past few days that she's put down people for getting art degrees and the first couple times I brushed it off but it was starting to feel like a rude thing to keep saying to someone in my situation. I said, "Look, just because you're going for your nursing degree doesn't make you better than others," and maybe I should have stopped there but I was already pretty agitated from having my taste in music mocked and hearing things that sounded like they could be construed as personal attacks, so I said, "You couldn't even get through your first day of class without having a meltdown," which was referencing an event that happened earlier when she couldn't find parking, ended up missing her first class, and then came home and smacked herself in the head with her phone.

I shouldn't have brought up something like that so soon, but in the context of all the poo poo talking it just sort of came out. After that neither of us said anything and I turned off the music. She got up to play something on her TV and in the process she aggressively shoved a chair I just bought to the side and I firmly said, "Could you please not throw my stuff?" I would have probably just let it slide but the other day we had an argument and I came home to a lot of my stuff thrown on the floor. She then said, "I'm not throwing it. This would be throwing it," and she picked up my chair and slammed it on the floor. After that I just left, drove to a parking lot and sat in my car for a couple of hours. I came home and we haven't spoken a word to each other since. That was yesterday evening.

We usually resolve things pretty quickly but right now I feel like neither one of us is making an effort to speak to each other and I'm not sure I want to be the one to apologize since she's the one that started it and kept going when I told her to stop, and then escalated it when I clapped back with that remark about having a meltdown. I just don't know anymore. We've been through so many super rough patches in the past but I honestly thought that kind of thing was behind us but these past few days it's felt a lot like it used to be when things were terrible and I really don't know what to do.

tl;dr - See title.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Dress codes are supposed to be to keep lovely clothing out but it’s kind of evolved into just weirdos bringing their specific hang ups to the workplace.

Honestly hygiene enforcement is more important for workplace happiness but that is a lot less enforced for obvious reasons

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

therobit posted:

Huge, gaping rear end in a top hat. Don't post pics of other people's kids online. Or your own kids until they are old enough to decide if they want their picture to be online.

Yeah I mean 35k followers? Odds are pretty good at least 1 of them is a pedophile. And with that many followers it's the equivalent of publicly publishing the kids photo for the whole loving world to see. I might see her point if it was a private account where only her friends and family are her followers but in this situation she's the loving rear end in a top hat.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I hated donating blood at my previous workplace so I figured out that I could get out of it if I either had gay sex or a tattoo within the last 12 months.

So I went to my local tattoo artist. We stood in front of a mirror and then he hosed me up the rear end while giving me a full Yakuza style back tattoo of him loving me up the rear end.

Worked like a charm, never had to give blood again. He still calls me occasionally asking when I plan to come in and get it colored in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Coredump posted:

Bare midriffs ok?

Happened before. Don’t give a poo poo because we’re not pervs. I have too much work to waste energy on policing belly buttons.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Happened before. Don’t give a poo poo because we’re not pervs. I have too much work to waste energy on policing belly buttons.

If bare midriffs are ok then you gotta recognize your workplace is an outlier in how lax the dress code is and to judge other work places because your's is so lax is pretty disingenuous. Where ever you draw the line as to what makes up "normal clothes".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fight with my [29M] gf [28F] over last name, reconsidering relationship

quote:

Me: 29M Wendy: 28F

Been dating for three years, living together for one.

We've been serious and exclusive for two years, and last week we started discussing marriage. Couching it in terms of speaking hypothetically, things like that. For the most part, things seem great. We both want kids, we have compatible career goals, we want to do the same things in life, we have compatible religious views, etc.

But last night, I asked my gf if she's comfortable being 'Mrs. [my last name]' and she laughed and said I don't need to worry about that because she's never taking my name. I asked her if she was serious, and she said that changing her last name at all would jeopardize her career and even if it wouldn't she wouldn't take my particular last name even in hyphenated form. Then she added that she wouldn't let any kids of ours take my last name, either.

Now, I have what most people would consider to be a very silly last name. Even offensive in certain company, as it prominently includes a very common nickname for a sex organ. I got bullied relentlessly for my last name growing up, and even now people tend to do double-takes when they hear it - when I first met my gf, she said she had thought my last name was me joking around. But it's my name, I'm my family's only child, and these days to me it's a funny joke to laugh about with the guys at work. And my long-time girlfriend told me that she wouldn't let any child of hers have my last name because they'd get teased and bullied over it.

To me, it's just the latest in a long string of incidents since moving in together that makes me think Wendy doesn't respect me. I make a lot more money than she does, so when I see a cute dress or piece of jewelry, I like to buy it and surprise her with it. She liked it when we were just dating, but now she keeps telling me that it's not her style or she isn't comfortable with me spending so much money on her. She never wears it, either, her social media is filled with her in her work clothes or in jeans and tank tops.

Wendy also used to be super flirty before we moved in together, sending me dirty emails and nude or almost-nude photos on a regular basis and inviting me to do the same. She doesn't do that anymore, and the last time she put on fancy lingerie that wasn't me specifically asking for it was on my birthday a few months ago.

I think Wendy doesn't get how important this is to me - I want her to be my wife, not just the woman I live with, and we've been kind of distant with each other since the argument. We only had sex once since then, and even that felt like she was just going through the motions because she knew I was horny.

Is there a way I can get her to compromise with me on this? I really want my wife and kids to have my last name, not just be the woman I happen to be married to who happened to pop out kids who are related to me.

Or should I sever now while I'm still young if she's not going to budge?

tldr: Talking marriage with gf, gf refuses to take my last name and generally isn't taking me seriously, not sure where to take the relationship from here

I'll take 'controlling rear end in a top hat' for 300. Although now I kinda want to know what the name is.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I never even see my clients except for what fits through the glory business hole and I always wear a full suit and tie because I respect myself and my profession. Also sometimes a bib.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

chitoryu12 posted:

AITA for refusing to pay my brother back for "damage and lost income" when the kids I were baby sitting set off a can of bear repellent (mace) in his Airbnb? To me he left something very dangerous in the reach of kids.

Funny enough.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Coredump posted:

If bare midriffs are ok then you gotta recognize your workplace is an outlier in how lax the dress code is and to judge other work places because your's is so lax is pretty disingenuous. Where ever you draw the line as to what makes up "normal clothes".

Maybe the outliers have it right.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

Jesus Christ shut up

Girlfriend (26) started antagonizing me (32) over a song I was listening to. I said something back, she escalated, and we haven't spoken since.

The bright eyes stuff was pretty funny but she definitely has some pent up resentment over his art degree

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cythereal posted:

I'll take 'controlling rear end in a top hat' for 300. Although now I kinda want to know what the name is.

I like how she's not his ~wife~ without his surname, just "a woman he happens to be married to." NOT WIFE IF NOT POSSESSION!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not letting my boyfriend’s sister go with us to the renaissance festival?

Hi everybody. My boyfriend and I (20M, 20F) have been together for a little over 2 years. Every year, I plan for us to go to the renaissance festival because he has never been and it’s one of my favorite things in the world and I know he’d love it as well, but something always happens and we haven’t been able to go. This year, we finally can. A few days before we planned to go, his sister (23F) asked if she could go with us. His sister asks to go places with us all the time, and I have never said no. I am very close with his family and I do enjoy spending time with them, and his sister and I get along well. Anyway, he told his sister that I probably wouldn’t mind, before asking me. I did mind.. I have been planning this as a date for us for a long time, since he has never been, and if his sister went with us, we would not be able to completely be ourselves, as she is a little prude.. meaning she doesn’t swear at all, doesn’t have the same sense of humor as us, (for example, she wouldn’t find the pickle guy’s jokes funny) etc. Since this will be my boyfriend’s first time there, and I planned to buy the tickets and everything, I really want him to fully enjoy himself, because he is always a bit more reserved around his family (just how he is). Since she still wanted to spend time with us regardless, she asked us to go to the state fair with her on Labor Day, and of course I said yes. However, I still feel like a jerk, because she has never been to the renaissance festival either.

Was I an rear end in a top hat for not letting her go with us?

Edit - Since a few people are assuming he’s not going to like it and I want him to go just because I like it, the very first things we bonded over and shared in common was our love for World of Warcraft, Game of thrones, and Lord of the Rings... so we are both pretty big nerds. I think it’s safe to assume he’ll enjoy it. This is why I’m so adamant and excited about taking him.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Cythereal posted:

I wouldn't want my name to be Wendy Weiner either

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My friend [28/f] chastised me [28/f] for using condoms with my husband [30/m]. She got her fiance [m?] involved.

I’ve been married now for three years and my husband and I use condoms as a form of birth control and have been for the past two years.

I didn’t think anything of this until I had a friend visit yesterday and she found a condom wrapper in one of the guest bathrooms. Usually we’d check for things like this before guests come over but this was an unexpected visit.

Instead of ignoring it as any decent person would do, Anne told me in a very rude tone that she doesn’t understand why married people would use condoms and said what’s the purpose of being married if you’re going to use condoms. She went on until I told her to stop.

I was on the pill for many years and I first started when I was 15 because of endometriosis. When I was 17, I tried the depo shot and it was fine for a few months but then I had extremely painful spotting and other side effects and had to stop. I got back on the pill and when I went to college I tried the depo shot again to see if maybe it would be better for me years later but it wasn’t.

When I was 21 and had my first pap smear, I asked my doctor about an IUD but the sounding was extremely painful for me and then my body expelled it which was even more painful. I was devastated because I felt like I wen through pain for no reason.

My doctor told me that she could give me a new one but my body had a high chance of rejecting it again so I just went back on the pill. The pill had been wonderful for so long but a few years ago I started to get extremely nauseous on the pill and had bad migraines. A year ago, my periods started lasting for a month at time and no matter what brand my doctor gave me, I’d have the extended bleeding which sucked with my endo. The last straw was when I started having heavier bleeding to the point that I was using an overnight pad every hour. My doctor found a small fibroid and said that she wanted me off of hormones because it could get bigger.

My husband had been wanting me to stop the birth control for a while because I was so miserable and it’s been two years now since I’ve been off of birth control and I feel so much better! My husband is adamant that we spend at least another year traveling before we have kids and I feel the same and that’s why we use condoms.

Today Anne invited me to lunch and I told her that I’d join her but she needed to know that her comments were inappropriate.

Despite this she made several comments about how her and her fiancé don’t use condoms and that she talked to him about it and he said it’s weird and that my husband doesn’t feel anything during sex with me. I left the lunch at that point because I don’t need to know her fiancé’s opinions on my sex life and she has her own problems with him that she needs to focus on.

I really want to just block Anne’s number but I’ve known her since high school and I don’t know if I’m overreacting. If I had only known her for a year, this would be easier for me. The tone she said all of this was like she was disgusted.

**Tl;Dr:** Friend found a condom wrapper in my house and chastised me for using condoms with my husband. I asked her to stop speaking about my sex life but she told her fiance who added his own opinions. Because of all of this, I want to just end my friendship with Anne but I don't know if it would be too nuclear.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I work in a fairly high-level government office and I've never seen or heard of any sort of dress code. Everyone just wears what they think is appropriate and we've never remotely had any trouble. Some people will wear ties, some people will wear jeans, it's up to them. Sometimes there's an incredibly mild judgemental comment about someone's outfit being a bit too on the casual side of business casual but that's it. For the most part, "dress appropriately" is all you need in writing when working with reasonably functional adults. "But but what if someone wore nothing but a thong to work!" well, the person's supervisor can deal cross that bridge when they come to it, but most likely they never ever will.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Cythereal posted:

"How do I get my girlfriend to compromise with me by doing everything I want and nothing that she wants???"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I like how he specifically recounts being harassed and bullied for his name growing up but for some reason it's important that he pass this name on.

Change your name, doofus.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My friend [28/f] chastised me [28/f] for using condoms with my husband [30/m]. She got her fiance [m?] involved.

This is so bizarre, like her friend almost is like offended about it? why would you care if your friend's husband "couldn't feel anything" and moreover why would you even say that out loud to them!? ew! people are so loving gross and weird.

speaking of gross weirdos:

A close family friend (85M) just got a terminal cancer diagnosis. This morning he asked me (24F) to undress for him.

quote:

TLDR: title

Hi r/relationshipadvice, I really need your help. I’ve found myself in a situation which makes me feel absolutely sick and I don’t know what to do.

I’ll start at the very beginning. My dad has been best friends with a guy (we’ll call him Dave) for close to forty years. Dave (now 50M) was a foster kid and had no biological family (that he knew of), so my dad’s family basically took him in and I grew up calling him ‘Uncle Dave’. Dave is awesome, I love him a lot and we’re very close.

A few years ago Dave actually managed to reconnect with some of his biological relatives, including ‘Sam’ (85M), his biological uncle. Dave was super excited to meet him and make a relationship with this man, and my family was equally happy for him. We all knew this was a really important relationship for Dave and Sam means a lot to him.

I met Sam at a ‘family’ gathering and we hit it off straight away - we both love history, books, writing and more. He’s educated and faultlessly polite. We chatted and got on despite the age difference, and I actually agreed to write Sam’s memoirs for him - he’s got an interesting past and I was keen to work with him, but he’s German so there’s a bit of a language barrier when it comes to writing in English. So began three years of meeting up once a fortnight to write for Sam, have a cuppa and a chat, and generally become friends.

Over the last three years Sam and I have had a great friendship. I’ve helped out in his garden, visited him in hospital after a few bad falls, talked politics, work, history, friends and more. I genuinely considered Sam a friend, and I was really pleased to have made a friend of a different age with different values and perspectives to discuss. Never did Sam ever make me uncomfortable. He said I was ‘like a daughter’ to him, and I trusted him absolutely and completely.

Which is what makes this morning so much worse.

I went around this morning for our regular catch-up and Sam gave me the news he has a terminal illness. I was heartbroken, but then things pretty much immediately got strange. He asked me if I’d do him a ‘favour’ and ‘undress for him’ so he can have ‘one good memory’ to take with him when he passes on.

I was absolutely floored - never have I had a sense he saw me this way. I told him it made me really uncomfortable, that I wouldn’t do it, and that I was extremely hurt to feel as though he valued me for my body and not my mind or my friendship. I felt hugely devalued. He said I’ll ‘have to forgive an old man’ for asking and said ‘it wouldn’t make me see you as less of a person, but as more’. He said he just wanted to see, not do anything, and told me that while he did see me as a daughter he also saw me as a very attractive woman.

The worst part is that I then explained to him why this made me especially uncomfortable. I was molested as a child, and I told him the truth in that I’ve felt sexualised for basically my entire life and that he was, apart from my father, the one man with whom I felt completely comfortable and safe. He said that’s something I’d eventually have to ‘get over’. I told him I wish nobody saw me for my looks and he said ‘that’s not true, women like it.’

I honestly don’t even remember when I left. I was shaking and sweating and felt absolutely sick. I cried the whole drive home, and now I feel completely disgusting.

I don’t know how to feel. Part of me never wants to see him again, wants to give up this writing project and cut all ties. What he did and said made me feel awful. But another part of me just sees a lonely, sad old man who lives alone and is dying, and I guess just. . . Took his shot. Maybe it’s cultural/age difference that made him feel like this was ok, or maybe he’s just desperate for any semblance of affection. Maybe I’m blowing things out of proportion and it’s not that bad that he just asked - after all, he said the last thing he wanted to do was make me feel uncomfortable or lose me as a friend. I’m not at all intimidated by Sam physically because he’s so frail and even after all this, he’s been faultlessly good and kind to me in the past. . . We really are (or were?) good friends. We’ve shared a lot.

If I do disconnect from him, I don’t know how I’ll explain it away to Dave or my parents. I don’t want to ruin Dave’s relationship with his only biological family, and my dad can be a somewhat scary guy - I worry he might even get aggressive with Sam, possibly violent, since he’s been so protective since I was molested as a kid. If I lie they’ll know something is up because Sam and I were so close. Not to mention I’ll lose three years of writing work, and I feel like I owe Sam after all he’s done for me over the years. . . All the trust he’s placed in me by telling me his story.

I care deeply about Sam. I feel gross and devalued, but we’ve had such a great friendship and he needs support now more than ever.

I don’t know what to do. I just don’t know. So please, if anyone has any ideas, I could really use the help.
infinite_scream.gif

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

What do in your own bedroom is your own business but HOT TAKE married couples who use condoms are weird. Unless they're like poly or something I guess, but I'd lump that under the 'weird marriage' umbrella.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Because of all of this, I want to just end my friendship with Anne but I don't know if it would be too nuclear.

Nuke these people from orbit. It's the only way to be sure (that you won't spend the rest of your life with this woman nitpicking you and calling in the loving posse when you disagree)

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

Chomp8645 posted:

I like how he specifically recounts being harassed and bullied for his name growing up but for some reason it's important that he pass this name on.

Change your name, doofus.

b-but that's Woman's job??????????????????? how else can I display Woman as my property huh?????

Another Bill posted:

What do in your own bedroom is your own business but HOT TAKE married couples who use condoms are weird. Unless they're like poly or something I guess, but I'd lump that under the 'weird marriage' umbrella.

What about if the wife in the scenario resorts to using condoms because she's tried all other methods of birth control and they've proved unsuitable to the point of pain and discomfort? Her husband seems perfectly fine about it, what's weird here?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Another Bill posted:

She can’t take the pill or have an IUD, so are you saying they should just use the pull out method?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Another Bill posted:

1) She made it clear that other birth control methods don't work for her/have horrific side effects, and they want kids so the husband can't just go get a vasectomy

2) Seriously, who gives a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Another Bill posted:

Did you read that post, like, AT ALL?

And even if she just prefers condoms to other methods, who gives a poo poo?