Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Scathach posted:

Uh wouldn't that go for every spouse then? Or do you believe only gay men cheat? Like dude you're coming across as being quite idiotic.

I can't tell if you're a Pick 2.0 troll or just a moron.

The issue is that he thought it was okay to lie on medical forms because he and his spouse are totally monogamous.

It's not a good idea to lie to medical professionals. I know it might be hard to understand but I hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Sierra Nevadan posted:

The issue is that he thought it was okay to lie on medical forms because he and his spouse are totally monogamous.

It's not a good idea to lie to medical professionals. I know it might be hard to understand but I hth.

You didn’t answer my question re immigration

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Actually, for a lot of people, in a lot of situations, it is! This includes if you're a woman seeking some types of sexual health care, or if you're queer in some form or another. There are too many instances where "medical knowledge" is not as based on science as it should be, and it's better to just lie.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Sierra Nevadan posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

pentyne posted:

How do you find these? Every time I try to look up one of the titles posted I can never find it in any of the reddit subforums.

• Google the title
  • Google the title site:reddit.com
  • Search the title using built-in reddit search searching all subreddits

If you know the user (sometimes they are posted itt) then search for that and get to the post via their profile page.

Sometimes you get a hit for the user profile page instead of the actual thread in search engines, this happens often if mods delete it too I think?

If you know the url to the thread but it's full of moderator deleted messages and you're curious, replace the url from reddit.com to ceddit.com which will take you to this reddit app mirror which preserves mod deleted content via the reddit api. It doesn't work if the user deleted it themselves since I believe that's against the api t&c?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Another Bill posted:

It's an intimacy thing.
Lol

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
changing your last name for marriage can be a gigantic pain in the rear end. the social security office is not exactly fast moving or easy to interact with.

like if the person opting to change their name really wants to do so then more power to them, but nobody should just assume someone else is going to be willing to do that

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

It's a spirit vs letter issue. OP in this story is a tremendous horse's rear end.

I'd go so far as to say it's not even lying. The question may say 'yo, did you MSM within the last year' but what it really means 'are you a tremendous slut?'

And to be frank it's pretty bullshit that the gay guys are the one that get beat over the head with it.

This made me curious and I went and did some looking into it. One of the scholarly articles I found was:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3334840/

A comparison of sexual behavior patterns among men who have sex with men and heterosexual men and women posted:

Men who have sex with men (MSM) have higher rates of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STI) than women and heterosexual men. This elevated risk persists across age groups and reflects biological and behavioral factors, yet there have been few direct comparisons of sexual behavior patterns between these populations. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that HIV and early syphilis rates among MSM are >40 times higher than those among heterosexuals

Maybe its not completely hearsay for it to be an increased risk factor.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 29, 2019

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

quote:

Finally, we did not directly measure the incidence of HIV or other STI. Because of this, we were unable to specifically evaluate the behaviors of persons with STI, which are clearly key with respect to transmission risk.

maybe read the thing lol

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Sierra Nevadan posted:

"I donated blood, I'm such a good person. I just had to lie on the forms to do so. NBD"

"My husband says he totally didn't cheat, take my word for it."

If this is your reasoning why is it okay that they don't ask married women? They're just as capable of contracting sexually transmitted diseases.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Araenna posted:

She mocks him repeatedly and openly. She throws his poo poo around when mad at him. She threw a chair during a fight, and it scared him enough he left and sat in his car for hours. He's probably less "insecure" and more "being emotionally abused".

Oh poo poo, read this on mobile and somehow missed the last half the story. Oh yeah he's being abused.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 29, 2019

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Coredump posted:

This made me curious and I went and did some looking into it. One of the scholarly articles I found was:

Maybe its not completely hearsay for it to be an increased risk factor.

First the dress code poo poo and now this. Will you please shut the gently caress up and post a ban me? what a loving moron

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think you all need some HR mandatory training on dress codes in the workplace and personal medical information security.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

pentyne posted:

I think you all need some HR mandatory training on dress codes in the workplace and personal medical information security.

aw man, I thought I was getting mandatory HR training on breast implants and bra sizes

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pinecone Sample posted:

aw man, I thought I was getting mandatory HR training on breast implants and bra sizes

Based on the module you just finished, answer the following to the best of your ability

Jane Doe has come to work wearing a low cut blouse after her recent, quite noticeable breast augmentation surgery. Which of the following is acceptable to say?

a) drat LOOK AT THEM TITTIES
b) Cover up whore this is a workplace
c) Hi Jane, I dropped my pen, could you bend down to pick it up? Slower
d) Hello fellow employee. Today is a fine day and we are both adults who understand mutual respect and understanding and have no need to create issues and conflicts over minor issues of personal appearance.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I was all on Bright Eyes boyfriend's side but uh the comments

quote:

I don't remember what every argument we've had in the past was about but the one before this was because I basically said it wasn't abnormal for grown men to find teenage girls attractive and she thought I was defending pedophilia or something even though I was referring to post-pubescent young women.

I would totally rip up this dude's Connor Obert poster.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
God drat it bright eyes guy now I'm seen as being on the side of a pedo

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Giving blood isn't compulsory. I just don't understand why on earth a gay man would want to donate blood by having to fake into it when they don't agree with the law or the protocols.

giving blood is fun duh, why do people do drugs

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Yeah I was thinking dude is being abused but maybe she's trying to beat the pedo out of him.

As an abuse survivor I'm really torn here guys

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

utamaru posted:

maybe read the thing lol

I'm reading through it more closely now, however this study is looking in to direct comparisons of sexual behavior patterns between MSM, women and heterosexual men. It seems that previous research dove into HIV and STI rates among those different populations and found there to be a substantial difference.

epsilon posted:

First the dress code poo poo and now this. Will you please shut the gently caress up and post a ban me? what a loving moron

What's moronic about this? I thought that "And to be frank it's pretty bullshit that the gay guys are the one that get beat over the head with it." was a pretty valid point so I went to look into it and this is what I've found.

quote:

We used data from several large population-based surveys to estimate the dynamics of sexual partnership formation, concurrency, and age mixing among MSM and heterosexuals. MSM initiated sexual activity at slightly younger ages than heterosexuals, reported larger numbers of recent partners, continued to form new partnerships later into adulthood, and displayed more age-disassortative mixing and sex partner concurrency. Along with biological factors, these sexual behavior patterns likely help explain the high HIV/STI rates among MSM. However, compared with heterosexuals, MSM used condoms more frequently and a larger proportion of MSM may become sexually abstinent in their 30s.

Our findings are most notable for demonstrating how partnership formation patterns differed between MSM and heterosexuals from time of sexual debut through their 30s. Approximately half of sexually active heterosexuals surveyed were effectively out of the risk pool for HIV/STI by age 30, as they reported no new partners during the prior 5 years. By contrast, a much higher proportion of MSM continued to form new partnerships well into their 30s. This is consistent with Australian HIV data that suggested that the formation rate among MSM peaks in the mid-30s. Our study suggests that the average period of new partnership acquisition among MSM is at least twice as long as among heterosexuals. Indeed, mathematical models estimated that the mean age of HIV acquisition among Australian MSM is in the mid-30s27, and researchers in the UK found that HIV incidence was highest among MSM in this age group28, an age when most heterosexuals are no longer forming new partnerships.

This is pretty eye-opening to me.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 29, 2019

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

bell jar posted:

giving blood is fun duh, why do people do drugs

getting a disqual from blood donation is like those purity tests that make the rounds for college freshmen. half the fun is racking up the highest score you can

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I wonder if Bright Eyes kid's girlfriend got mad about those polaroids in the drawer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the whole gay guys can’t donate is based around the HIV and aids crisis of the late 80s/early 90s that was never changed once people figured out those diseases aren’t actually restricted to those groups. Because our laws tend to favor reactionary thought but never walking it back

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

a whole lot of people's first impression of someone with HIV was Ryan White who did get it from an unscreened blood transfusion but yeah instead of the reasonable response of "we should actually test blood before we pump it into someone" society at large just went "ewww, gays" and made blanket donation bans

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

6BC was posted earlier but this tweet was not highlighted, and I think it deserves a second chance:

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1166757419726319622

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Gluten Freeman posted:

6BC was posted earlier but this tweet was not highlighted, and I think it deserves a second chance:

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1166757419726319622

Those two tweets being next to each other is some magic. Also, I feel like "man turns house into shrine for dead wife, continues seeing woman he was cheating on wife with, but refuses to commit to her because he's more devoted to his wife now that she's dead" is a perfect pitch for a Gothic novel, if it doesn't already exist.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Coredump posted:

I'm reading through it more closely now, however this study is looking in to direct comparisons of sexual behavior patterns between MSM, women and heterosexual men. It seems that previous research dove into HIV and STI rates among those different populations and found there to be a substantial difference.

What's moronic about this? I thought that "And to be frank it's pretty bullshit that the gay guys are the one that get beat over the head with it." was a pretty valid point so I went to look into it and this is what I've found.

This is pretty eye-opening to me.

It’s almost like it’s the number of different partners that affects the likelihood of having a STI. That’s literally what that’s saying. It’s not that the guys are gay, it’s that the gay guys have had a larger number of partners and that’s something they can screen for without being homophobic.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah the whole gay guys can’t donate is based around the HIV and aids crisis of the late 80s/early 90s that was never changed once people figured out those diseases aren’t actually restricted to those groups. Because our laws tend to favor reactionary thought but never walking it back

Got any cited sources?

Not trying it be a dick genuinely curious if this is the case, or if it is a statistics thing.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DreamingofRoses posted:

It’s almost like it’s the number of different partners that affects the likelihood of having a STI. That’s literally what that’s saying.
Higher number of sexual partners, new partnerships later into adulthood, sexual partner concurrency and age-disassortative mixing were the differences between the populations. Not purely number of partners.

DreamingofRoses posted:

It’s not that the guys are gay
That may not be entirely true either.

quote:

These differences reflect the fact that an individual MSM can engage in both insertive and receptive sexual roles (i.e., versatility), while exclusively heterosexual men and women each engage in only one of these roles. Goodreau et al. demonstrated that an MSM population with a very high level of versatility would have a higher HIV prevalence than one with less versatility. Furthermore, the transmission probability of HIV associated with anal sex is higher than that associated with vaginal sex. These factors alone would result in significant disparities in HIV rates between MSM and heterosexuals even if both populations had similar numbers of sex partners, frequency of sex, and condom use levels.

Willfrey posted:

Got any cited sources?

Not trying it be a dick genuinely curious if this is the case, or if it is a statistics thing.
I'm not trying to be a dick either but from what I literally learned in the last hour:

quote:

MSM comprise approximately 2% of the U.S. population, but accounted for 59% of new HIV infections.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Diagnoses of HIV Infection and AIDS in the United States and Dependent Areas, 2009. Atlanta, Georgia: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2009.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 29, 2019

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

Willfrey posted:

Got any cited sources?

it's not actually a law, but rather a "policy guideline" enacted by the FDA in 1983. at that time there was no surefire test for the presence of HIV.

the FDA rescinded the "lifetime deferral" policy in 2015 but still holds a "one year deferral" policy, meaning if you are a man who has had sex with another man in the prior 12 months you are barred from donating. whether or not an arbitrary blood mobile asks about 1-year vs lifetime is probably still a dice roll. opponents of any policy ban vs. actual sample testing point out facts like hetero males can donate with things like chlamydia or herpes so it isn't purely a STI thing. it's very much an AIDS thing

i'm only half kidding about the purity test score. i've got like 6-7 different disqualifying factors/behaviors and several of them are from actions or infectious disease exposures in the 80s and 90s.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i don't know how things are in the rest of the world but here in australia if you spent more than 6 months in the uk between 1980 and 1996 you're banned from donating blood for life

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Coredump posted:

Higher number of sexual partners, new partnerships later into adulthood, sexual partner concurrency and age-disassortative mixing were the differences between the populations. Not purely number of partners.

So.... they have a larger number of different partners? “Higher number of sexual partners” means exactly what it says, the rest are describing how, whether it’s playing the field longer, having more than one partner at once, etc... The only thing that study is saying is that gay men have a larger number of different sexual partners than straight men or women. The study is about sexual behavior, and one of the big factors of STI transference is the number of different partners a person has. Which, once again, places that collect blood can screen for without being homophobic.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

bell jar posted:

i don't know how things are in the rest of the world but here in australia if you spent more than 6 months in the uk between 1980 and 1996 you're banned from donating blood for life

That's the case in the US, as well, though I believe here it's having spent three months or more. It's due to risk of Mad Cow Disease.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You realize your can ask about those specific behaviors, instead of just "are you a dude who hosed a dude", right? A woman could go have unprotected anal sex with a different guy every night for two weeks and give blood. If a gay man in 20 year monogamous relationship had sex with his husband in the past year, he can't.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That probations for dollars thread really needs to make a comeback.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

You guys should make another thread for the gay aids blood test thing and talk about it there.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Straight people don't deserve to have my delicious gay blood in their veins so I am fine with it.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rubellavator posted:

You guys should make another thread for the gay aids blood test thing and talk about it there.

Yeah you're right this guy is almost definitely trolling and this is dumb.

My boyfriend (28) has some behaviours that concern me(24)

My current boyfriend (he is 28 and I am 24) that I have been with for about a month and a half has so behaviours that I question. 1) always asks whom I am with and what we do it detail 2) wont keep dating me if I go out with friends to a bar or any where that’s has alcohol male or female 3) always needs me to affirm my affection for him all the time 4) gets upset over small things( I forgot to kiss him before I left the car)(I don’t text every hour ) 5) doesn’t like me hanging out with my friends more than him 6) made me get rid of my vibrators and sex toys 7) I am no longer allowed to hangout with my males friends 8) wants me to move to a South American country in fall 2020

These things kinda give me an odd feeling about our relationship I’m just wondering if any of this is acceptable to be concerned about.

TL;DR : new relationship wanting to know what behaviours are acceptable or not

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Araenna posted:

My boyfriend (28) has some behaviours that concern me(24)

TL;DR : new relationship wanting to know what behaviours are acceptable or not

nah girl you're good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also he’s perfect in every way and breaking up isn’t an option.