Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1167006813511979013

catte tax:

Another push for this little cat sanctuary in Gloucestershire which looks after getting on for 30 cats with various disabilities: they have an Amazon 'wish list' if you feel inclined to send some cat food or renal meds! https://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2V1KHLYQY0Z8M

http://www.complicatedcats.com/home.html

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ms Fuchi posted:

You could have said the same thing before the 2011 riots

Police violence on a marginalized working class community (and the protests after Mark Duggens death) hit the tipping point for crowd violence in the local area, which thanks to social media spread quickly to other marginalized communities once the switch from "peaceful protest" to "vioence" had been flipped. Unless the police start shooting FBPEs that's not going to happen, and since FBPEs are mostly white and professional I doubt the met will do more than manhandle them a little.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

A heavy Gränsfors splitting maul, a small Billnäs axe and a middling sized Billnäs axe.

:black101:

Finally a post where the axes are properly labelled!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol at this short thread

https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1167013804741451777?s=19

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

There's no history of violent protest in the UK

You what?! There absolutely is mate.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Eh, wha? Don't take your seats Sinn Fein, do the other thing? Others can channel the spirit of Paisley to stir up some violence?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nothingtoseehere posted:

What

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Ah yes those riots of 2011 are not protests at all.

Also this gem:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Britain

The Sun has run frequent stories under the "Broken Britain" theme since 2007. Whilst the phrase is essentially a political one, the frequency of these stories has decreased since the Conservatives came to power in 2010 with the root causes coming under more scrutiny by the electorate.

It then goes on to list all of the issues that the tories created or have exacerbated. :rolleyes:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of quitters:

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonMSP/status/1167010124667527168

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The DUP are such an active spanner in the works, especially with how deep they’re willing to throat the collective Tory shaft. The equivalency of a cancer that can’t be cut out and is spreading.

It really fucks me off how so very few are getting to call all the shots within the conservative wings. A pm who wasn’t elected by the people proroguing against a piece of legislation that was supposed to be the people’s vote.

At no point was there an option to vote between a deal and no deal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I understand that she wants to spend time with her family but lmao at the timing.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Translates to “my kids are going to put their fingerprints on this debacle to cover my own up.”

E: in twitter news they still haven’t deactivated my account and it’s still suspended so I’ve reported it to the ICO after asking 3 times and stating my intentions of reporting it.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 29, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/severincarrell/status/1167021188079661063

this is the one that Jo "BREXIT FESTIVAL" Maugham and Jo "anna" Cherry are championing (and the latter arguing in court, I believe)

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I believe strongly in the NHS and what it provides for people, and that it must be well funded and free at the point of use for everyone who needs it. Is it more ethical for me to continue to use it as I have for most of my life, or should I remove my (negligible) requirements into a private provider if I am able to do so, thereby freeing up those resources for others?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

to be entirely fair to nothintoseehere, it's not like violent protests are a particular pattern in British political discourse, like some other countries. There's the odd riot, yeah, and back in the 19th century poo poo went down on the reg, but mostly what we do is write strongly worded letters, and if poo poo gets really serious might even make a witty placard. Stiff upper lip & all.

Violent protests do actually happen - even discounting antifascist stuff we've had 2 protests in South Wales (that I know of) in the last year that resulted in violent confrontation with the police - but they don't get any attention (wonder why), and are entirely in the purview of actual radicals, and there's gently caress all of us in the grand scheme of things, so it never really becomes part of the "discourse".

Definitely not gonna happen just due to parliamentary shenanigans though, because - as nothingtoseehere says - you need either heavy handed policing (against white middle class liberals lol) or a bunch of agitators (and like I said, none of the radicals are gonna put themselves at risk protecting Parliamentary democracy). Not hearing a peep about hashtaggeneralstrike (for example) on any of the radical WhatsApp groups I'm in, nor through any Trade Union channels.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kecske posted:

I believe strongly in the NHS and what it provides for people, and that it must be well funded and free at the point of use for everyone who needs it. Is it more ethical for me to continue to use it as I have for most of my life, or should I remove my (negligible) requirements into a private provider if I am able to do so, thereby freeing up those resources for others?

No. The only thing that keeps the NHS from being completely sold off is that it's used by almost everyone. If middle class people stop using it and go private then suddenly it'll be treated like unemployment benefits, it's only used by lazy good-for-nothings and why should I pay for that?

The ethical thing to do is to use it when you need it, but also to keep yourself healthy so you don't have to use it very often.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah, don’t give the government a reason to go to the ONS and manipulate their findings into “See, private healthcare is affordable to your average citizen, so let’s privatise the poo poo out of it!”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Usually most of the violence seems to come from the counterprotest tho. Peterloo, etc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

No. The only thing that keeps the NHS from being completely sold off is that it's used by almost everyone. If middle class people stop using it and go private then suddenly it'll be treated like unemployment benefits, it's only used by lazy good-for-nothings and why should I pay for that?

The ethical thing to do is to use it when you need it, but also to keep yourself healthy so you don't have to use it very often.
Came here to post exactly this.

It's like schooling, you shouldn't opt out just because you can pay, because that doesn't free up resources, it just means that it's expected that you think you don't have a stake in the state school system when it next comes to defund it.

It might be justifiable to use a mutual like Benenden that works with the NHS (used to be only for public sector employees, but I just found out that it's open to everyone now) if you have particular chronic ongoing needs better served by that, because it'd be a dick move to demand doctrinal purity at the expense of your health, but going with BUPA or Virgin just because you can doesn't help the NHS.

e: I also just found out that the original name was The Post Office Branch of the National Association for the Establishment and Maintenance of Sanatoria for Workers Suffering from Tuberculosis Friendly Society, I'm surprised they didn't put that on their logo. :v:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 29, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1166999597052583937?s=20

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Finally, they have found the weapon to stop no deal!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Love to use the BONGS of Massive Muhammad to calculate my salat times

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Dumb question: whats is "no. 10"? Ive been seeing it a lot

Googling it is hard since will bring a billion unrelated stuff

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

10 Downing Street, where the PM lives. It's used as shorthand to refer to the office of the Prime Minister.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Elias_Maluco posted:

A wretched give of scum and villainy.

E: lmao
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1167035179086635008?s=19

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Elias_Maluco posted:

No. 10 Downing Street - residence and office of the PM.

No.11 is the same for the Chancellor of the Exchequer - but because Johnson is a fat gently caress he's actually living at No.11, while The Saj is living at No.10.

It's like when people say "The White House says", and they mean "The President says". Proper term is a Metonym.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 29, 2019

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Number 10 Downing Street, the traditional London home and workplace of the Prime Minister. Most actually live at Number 11.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

lmao pullmans account got suspended

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Elias_Maluco posted:

Number 10 Downing St., where the Prime Minister is supposed to live, except he currently resides at number 11 next door, where the chancellor of the exchequer traditionally lives.

This was because of an informal swap when the PM had a larger family, because 11 is a larger property, but Johnson kept it and made Sajid Javid and his family live in the smaller house because of being a dick.

no. 10 still refers to the office of the PM in casual chat though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bump_fn posted:

*chanting*
His name was Philip Pullman...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Elias_Maluco posted:

Prime Minister's technical address 10 Downing St, so a synecdoche for 'the government' or 'prime minister'.

Likewise, No 11 is Chancellor of Exchequer

Ed: ok beaten to it and metonymy is probably better than synecdoche in this case.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Do numbers 10 and 11 interconnect inside actually? Since the PMs still appear from the door of no. 10 for their :words:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

bump_fn posted:

I'm 100% certain the melt telling him he's great but needs to be careful what he posts reported him herself.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do numbers 10 and 11 interconnect inside actually? Since the PMs still appear from the door of no. 10 for their :words:

Yes, apparently.

10,11,12 all interconnect.

quote:

Number 11 is located on the left side of Number 10, the official residence of the Prime Minister (or First Lord of the Treasury) since the early 19th century. Number 12, to the left of Number 11, is the official residence of the Chief Whip, but it is now used as the Prime Minister's press office.

As a result of many internal alterations over the years, the three terraced houses are internally a single complex; one can walk from number 11 to number 10, via an internal connecting door, without using the street doors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11_Downing_Street

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

floofyscorp posted:

10 Downing Street, where the PM lives. It's used as shorthand to refer to the office of the Prime Minister.

oh thanks

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In terms of street violence, what the UK does lack are any significant numbers of people organised into groups with some level of discipline and prepared to put themselves on the front line. The 2011 riots were widespread but disorganised and mainly damaged their own areas, for example.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'd laugh if it was like the old terraces and you had to go through the roof. Johnson stuck in a roof hatch as the Saj tries to pull him down by his legs.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

No. 10 refers to the 10th dynastic line of royalty that the UK is currently on and is shorthand for the will of the state embued with its authority from the crown.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I went looking on wikipedia, but got lost and ended up with the category of Individual cats in politics. The Ultimate Cat Tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
... wait, is Boris playing Risk 1984 and trying to get the Oceania continent bonus?