Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

the dude who's running this lovely board game table has been absolute dogshit with his updates and communication to the point where a backer had to reach out and basically become his mouthpiece. i get why its the case since he doesn't really appear to have much actual info on what's happening other than constantly missing dates and nobody likes having to figure out how to explain their fuckups without admitting to loving up but it's super annoying getting an update that just creates more questions. i guess I wouldn't be so annoyed if the project weren't so far behind schedule. it just feels like amataur hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

TG Kickstarter Thread 3: it just feels like amataur hour

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

silvergoose posted:

TG Kickstarter Thread 3: it just feels like amataur hour

god drat dude

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If you were following the Alhambra Designer's Edition/Megabox Kickstarter, the rulebook for just the new expansions was put up on BGG last week. Still no file for a unified Megabox rulebook; but we also don't know if they're gonna go with one large rulebook, or the aforementioned Designer's Expansions rulebook plus a rulebook for the original expansions

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's just so accurate.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

An amataur is a badly drawn bull

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I’ve kinda zoned out on it, but has John Wick published his not-China core book? I don’t think so, and as far as I can tell it got wrapped up in his fiasco with the rest of the 7th Sea stuff.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nystral posted:

I’ve kinda zoned out on it, but has John Wick published his not-China core book? I don’t think so, and as far as I can tell it got wrapped up in his fiasco with the rest of the 7th Sea stuff.

I think he announced not long ago they they've got a layout/art team lined up, so I guess the manuscript is mostly done.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nystral posted:

I think I cursed the game by drunkenly telling John Wick I loved the new edition at the Ennies last year. I apologize, although I only backed the Western books.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I think I cursed the game by drunkenly telling John Wick I loved the new edition at the Ennies last year. I apologize, although I only backed the Western books.

I am extremely happy with the entertainment value I have gotten out of playing a campaign of 7th Sea. For 65 bucks it was an insanely good deal just for what has been produced so far. Beautiful books, and interesting system (which falls apart when you do combat, which :yikes:), and just a lot of neat revisions to the setting. Too bad the company squandered all the money on developing a board game no one was interested in that failed to Kickstart twice, and were so far behind on the first kickstarter that people were (correctly) very wary of backing another one. I guess Asia is more special than the rest of the world combined and needed its own new core book with different attributes for some reason, and not just normal 7th Sea source books?

It is a shame that selling your entire game line up front to the fans who would have been likely to buy most of the books in a traditional manor is a horrendous monitization strategy. Chaosium are some real bold guys for taking on the terrible burden of fulfilling both Kickstarter. I wonder if it will fail spectacularly, fail quietly and never be mentioned again, or produce the books in lower quality than the previous one.

Still, glad no one is dumb enough to let John Wick stay in charge so maybe it will turn out fine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, that's why I have no idea how anyone could 'love' 7th Sea 2e.

It's a game about swashbuckling heroes where the swashbuckling mechanics don't work.

The setting's cool and all, but it's about as useful as a cat piss flavored lollipop as a game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

That Old Tree posted:

I think he announced not long ago they they've got a layout/art team lined up, so I guess the manuscript is mostly done.

Maybe some, but he announced in June that the setting material was still in preliminary draft phase and were looking to hire artists.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am intrigued by, but undecided on, Sleeping Gods.

e: Leaning towards waiting for its release, but drat FOMO...

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 29, 2019

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ryan laukat is a brilliant artist who has never designed a good game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ketchup vs catsup posted:

What is bad about his games?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

e: Leaning towards waiting for its release, but drat FOMO...

I get it, but my philosophy now is unless it gets a retail release everyone is going to forget it ever existed much faster than other games so why sweat it. Unless it is a designer/company you really love.

I have a vast graveyard of board game I kickstarters, and it just isn't worth going deep on anything not proven if even that. I am pretty much all digital RPG pdfs these days, with the odd base game with cool free stretch goals thrown in.

No don't look at my Battletech pledge. SHUT UP DAD

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I just canceled my Sleeping Gods pledge. It's a game I really wanted to be all in about, but despite the praise he heaped on the game, Rahdo's video made me think twice, even if it's possibly just because he makes things seem more complicated than they really are. The last thing I need is another huge/expensive campaign game that's going to be impossible to find someone to play through with me, so I'm going to conquer my FOMO this time instead of instantly regretting the pledge like I did with 7th Continent.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

What is bad about his games?

Not a lot of substance, tries to make them about Story but that just interferes with the game mechanisms.

I liked Empires of the Void II, for what it's worth, but Above and Below sounds not at *all* my thing, and neither does Sleeping Gods.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Thank you.

That's exactly what I needed to hear because the art looks good, but has not amazed me.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that's why I have no idea how anyone could 'love' 7th Sea 2e.

It's a game about swashbuckling heroes where the swashbuckling mechanics don't work.

The setting's cool and all, but it's about as useful as a cat piss flavored lollipop as a game.

My group ran a 7th Sea campaign for 8+ years. After switching games for a bit, we're back to 7th Sea - 2nd edition setting, 1st edition rules. It's worked out pretty well so far, everything's familiar enough but JUST different enough to surprise them.

D10 "Roll and Keep" is one of the simplest and best dice mechanics I've experienced. Changing it up felt like change for the sake of change.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CobiWann posted:

My group ran a 7th Sea campaign for 8+ years. After switching games for a bit, we're back to 7th Sea - 2nd edition setting, 1st edition rules. It's worked out pretty well so far, everything's familiar enough but JUST different enough to surprise them.

D10 "Roll and Keep" is one of the simplest and best dice mechanics I've experienced. Changing it up felt like change for the sake of change.

Have you gotten into a fight against a Duelist yet?

You'll know when you have, because either you brought enough pistols to shoot them dead, or whichever of the enemy duelist or your party's duelist got to go first won. If it was the enemy, they just offhandedly stabbed the rest of the party to death after.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Have you gotten into a fight against a Duelist yet?

You'll know when you have, because either you brought enough pistols to shoot them dead, or whichever of the enemy duelist or your party's duelist got to go first won. If it was the enemy, they just offhandedly stabbed the rest of the party to death after.
Isn't it the 2nd edition rules that have that problem, not the 1st edition rules which CobiWann and buds are using? Or am I getting mixed up and the 2nd edition rules are broken for entirely different reasons?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I quite like Eight Minute Empire and The Ancient World; Islebound and Above and Below were fun, but I haven't gotten them to the table more than once. (Not because we didn't like the games, just because we aren't playing many games. I mean, I haven't even gotten Snowdonia on the table yet.) I have a lot of his other games because, yes, I like the art.

The reason I haven't backed Sleeping Gods is because I already have Above and Below and Near and Far, and there's a lot of game in those boxes. I don't need to add another storybook game with two campaigns to the stack.

I do wish I had backed Empires of the Void II, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

atholbrose posted:

I do wish I had backed Empires of the Void II, though.

Do what I did and find the full ks box for a dollar at a library book sale.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Kings of War RPG KS has been going for a couple of days and I had no idea because Mantic didn't send out a reminder email or a reminder through KS to backers of other Mantic projects.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1178384921/kings-of-war-the-roleplaying-game

It's doing okay, but it seems like the lack of advertisement is hurting the total.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warthur posted:

Isn't it the 2nd edition rules that have that problem, not the 1st edition rules which CobiWann and buds are using? Or am I getting mixed up and the 2nd edition rules are broken for entirely different reasons?

That's 2nd. 1st Edition swordsmen actually tend to be worse at fighting than the guy who just buys up to the skill cap of basic hit-people skills. Sorcery is also extremely bad in 1st ed for the most part, and your XP and pool of points to spend to boost rolls are the same thing.

Both editions have...a lot of problems, mechanically. I prefer 2nd, but it is flawed heavily.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

That's 2nd. 1st Edition swordsmen actually tend to be worse at fighting than the guy who just buys up to the skill cap of basic hit-people skills. Sorcery is also extremely bad in 1st ed for the most part, and your XP and pool of points to spend to boost rolls are the same thing.

Yeah, and boy is it fun a few sessions in when you realize that the extremely inflated costs you paid to get Dueling or Sorcery would have been better served to be... well, good at things.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Ah Sorcery. I loved spending XP to cast spells in first edition.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

EverettLO posted:

Kings of War RPG KS has been going for a couple of days and I had no idea because Mantic didn't send out a reminder email or a reminder through KS to backers of other Mantic projects.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1178384921/kings-of-war-the-roleplaying-game

It's doing okay, but it seems like the lack of advertisement is hurting the total.

They sent out an email to their regular mailing list, maybe they're waiting for the last week before pushing out backer mail, lest they be accused of spam for doing it at the start and the end?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wargame-model-mods/dynamic-wargame-buildings

This kickstarter looks really really cool but also kiiiiinda impractical to actually use for wargame stuff.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Warthur posted:

I missed that they were on 1e rules. Those work, they're just crunchy. 2e rules are underbaked trash.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

This kickstarter looks really really cool but also kiiiiinda impractical to actually use for wargame stuff.

Everything not the miner looks super usable. Love the artillery cannon.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Cassa posted:

Everything not the miner looks super usable. Love the artillery cannon.

I like how it looks, too, but the way they designed the cannon (railgun?) specifically seems worse than it could be. It takes up a lot of space and sits really low, so you're probably going to have to move it around a lot if you're actually trying to move figures around it. Making it a single, smaller "barrel" would solve this problem by like 90%.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Angling it up so it wasn't pointing directly ahead might help too.

I'd be stoked to grab any of them, wonder if I can pull the £££ together.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Both editions have...a lot of problems, mechanically. I prefer 2nd, but it is flawed heavily.
So between that and the jankiness I've noticed in Houses of the Blooded, I have to ask - is John Wick's reputation as a game designer based solely on the setting material he brings to the table, or is there an instance of him designing a system which worked nicely out of the box?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
There's a weird kind of monomania in TTRPG circles, where it's sort of assumed that if you know someone's name they must be a poo poo-hot game designer, even if the reason you know their name is something wholly unrelated.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Oh yeah John Wicks settings are always good, and his game systems are always tragically flawed at best. He is very consistent.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
John Wick's fame is basically a product of L5R and 7th Sea, regardless of how poo poo their actual mechanics may have been or whoever else might have worked on the games that go unnoticed and unremembered. He was able to leverage this into an additional 15 minutes of fame as the Play Dirty guy and the Writes A Bloviating Self-Aggrandizing Essay About Why This New Edition Of D&D Is Bad But I'll Deign to Write An Adventure For It Anyway guy. Now I guess he's the Tried To Turn 7th Sea Into a Transmedia Empire and hosed It Up guy.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

It's honestly incredibly generous of Chaosium to take on the burden of the line the way they have. Though I guess under the new regime Chaosium's become the place troubled Kickstarters go to get rehabbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Warthur posted:

So between that and the jankiness I've noticed in Houses of the Blooded, I have to ask - is John Wick's reputation as a game designer based solely on the setting material he brings to the table, or is there an instance of him designing a system which worked nicely out of the box?

He's never been known as someone who is particularly good at designing systems, just as a dude who made some games that people liked despite the mechanical issues with them (L5R and 7th Sea).