Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Junior G-man posted:

Was this posted? Because gently caress You Daniel Hannan.

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1166850898179624967?s=19

This fucker was just like Farage in Brussels. He didn't do gently caress all for his constituents there either. The amount of times I've seen this fucker just hanging out and drinking beer in the pubs near the Parliament.

I bet he tweeted some assurances while he was there!!

e- majestic wild cats tax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J11uu8L8FTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

baka kaba posted:

also in video shames news this dude has been called out as an abusive predator by a bunch of women who've worked with him

https://twitter.com/betterthemask/status/1166757334103842816

https://twitter.com/emshort/status/1166808519074570240

This has been discussed in the relevant Games threads too. Man's a turd.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Junior G-man posted:

Was this posted? Because gently caress You Daniel Hannan.

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1166850898179624967?s=19

This fucker was just like Farage in Brussels. He didn't do gently caress all for his constituents there either. The amount of times I've seen this fucker just hanging out and drinking beer in the pubs near the Parliament.

He was one of the worst loving leavers telling the worst kind of lies during the campaign and I fully believe he's one of the most massive cunts in parliament.

https://twitter.com/JonnElledge/status/1163831670937673728?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vlex posted:

Lol he was basically the authorial bae before this.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

He’s effectively literally a gammon with the exception of the oddly unrealistic character trait of “capable of learning better”, if I’m remembering Jingo correctly

Pretty much :lol: pink face and everything. I think he's even compared to a gammon in one of the books. But yeah, his whole thing in Jingo is having his ignorant racism called out at pretty every instance, and learning to at least be conscious and even uncomfortable with stuff he believed at the begining of the book. To a degree, anyway.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Re Vimes boots theory:

He's so right. When I moved into my flat here I thought I might manage with just the laundrette as it's only 2 mins walk away. But after doing the sums, a reasonable second hand washing machine at £105 would pay for itself within about 3 months (just me as a single). For a family it would probably pay for itself within a few weeks. But if you haven't got £105, you haven't got it. I was thinking maybe "they" should have laundrettes where you pay your £5 but say £2 per wash goes as credit towards you buying a machine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

Night Watch posted:

People on the side of "The People" always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn't that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people.

I like to think that's Sam Vimes's copper response to

George Orwell posted:

I have no particular love for the idealized “worker” as he appears in the bourgeois Communist’s mind, but when I see an actual flesh-and-blood worker in conflict with his natural enemy, the policeman, I do not have to ask myself which side I am on.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

yeahhh I don't like to be all "that thing you like? it's bad" but yeesh

he's not the only one who worked on those games though, in fact it sounds like he spent all his time creeping on people so y'know, problematic media and all that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

yeahhh I don't like to be all "that thing you like? it's bad" but yeesh

he's not the only one who worked on those games though, in fact it sounds like he spent all his time creeping on people so y'know, problematic media and all that

Oh sure but he was absolutely the big celebrity for spooky game writing.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

^^^^^edit: yeah his writing especially comes through in Cultist Simulator, which is almost a one-man show. His fiancée-cum-producer (heh) did art and promotion and such, but the writing is all his.

OwlFancier posted:

Well I for one am ready to begin the damnatio memoriae.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Re Vimes boots theory:

He's so right. When I moved into my flat here I thought I might manage with just the laundrette as it's only 2 mins walk away. But after doing the sums, a reasonable second hand washing machine at £105 would pay for itself within about 3 months (just me as a single). For a family it would probably pay for itself within a few weeks. But if you haven't got £105, you haven't got it. I was thinking maybe "they" should have laundrettes where you pay your £5 but say £2 per wash goes as credit towards you buying a machine.

It's even simpler than that, too. At the knife-edge of poverty, people have to buy e.g. 4-packs of loo roll instead of the 12/16 packs which are what, 30-40% cheaper per roll? That's just an example, there are so many things where you benefit from bulk buying but if you're living hand-to-mouth you can't take advantage of it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm willing to separate artist from art. With tools if necessary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Still lends fuel to my pet belief that making celebrities out of people is bad because not only does it suck when they turn out to be shits but it probably contributes to them being shits.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I'm willing to separate artist from art. With tools if necessary.

Normally I'd agree but the romance mechanic is now especially extremely gross in Cultist Simulator.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Still lends fuel to my pet belief that making celebrities out of people is bad because not only does it suck when they turn out to be shits but it probably contributes to them being shits.
I agree. I really like Sunless Sea and stand by even more that there should be an exploration into the Elder Continent written by writers from colonized places and definitely not him.

Which I suppose ties into my opposition to intellectual property as a form of dominion. (Which I have Nina Paley to thank for, but she's now a massive TERF.)

I didn't even know the guy's name before today though.

Vlex posted:

Normally I'd agree but the romance mechanic is now especially extremely gross in Cultist Simulator.
Depends entirely on how you read 'separate'.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1167104190663012355?s=20

You should read this. It's really loving dumb. Stephen Daisley is genuinely awful. Even in the cesspit of Scottish journalism he stands above as uniquely shite

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Now that's some top quality trolling

https://twitter.com/AndyMitten/status/1167146831391920128

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure that reflects particularly well on them. If I saw a huge banner of JP2 I'd assume it was covering some nonces.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Can I get some context on this?

Is it child sex related?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

Can I get some context on this?

Is it child sex related?

It's simple. Ibrox is the stadium of Glasgow Rangers. Rangers hate Catholics. The Pope is the head of the Catholic Church.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want to know how they smuggled in a gigantic cut out of the former pope.

I want to know where the gently caress they got a gigantic cut out of the former pope.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

I want to know how they smuggled in a gigantic cut out of the former pope.

I want to know where the gently caress they got a gigantic cut out of the former pope.

Legia is Polish right? I think there's a non zero amount of Polish that just carry around giant pope flags in case they need to declare their allegiance to their fave.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Re Vimes boots theory:

He's so right.

I've had it with actual work boots :v: But it's really applicable to so much in life.

Guavanaut posted:

I like to think that's Sam Vimes's copper response to

Ha! Knowing Pratchett, it's entirely possible that's intentional.

OwlFancier posted:

LISA: Even you?
HOMER: Especially me.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 29, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

feedmegin posted:

I mean they kinda do actually, just ask Henry VII.

Surely you mean Charles the First.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

sexpig by night posted:

Legia is Polish right? I think there's a non zero amount of Polish that just carry around giant pope flags in case they need to declare their allegiance to their fave.

My stepdad is Polish, and his (also Polish) stepdad presented him and my mum a Pope JP2 wallclock as a wedding present. My stepdad is a non-practising Catholic, and his stepdad isn't even Catholic but some Hindu movement.

Now I just assume that Polish people secrete John Paul-related memorabilia around their person for the appropriate occasion.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 29, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
My all-time favourite Pratchett line remains:

(in case you're wondering why the anthropomorphic representation of death is giving away toys in a department store, read The Hogfather, and also all other Pratchett books, even the ones that aren't very good)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/BlazeQuark/status/1166911510066524160?s=20

Love to liberalism

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Death is a very good character in a series full of very good characters.

In fairness I will totally post the churchill bit about landlords given a chance :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Death is a very good character in a series full of very good characters.

Death almost always gets the best line in every single book, which I suppose is inevitable as by definition he always gets the last word. The only exception I can think of is Soul Music which - in a book with many of Pratchett's very best punes, or plays on words, gives the very best joke (one that had built up the entire book) to a one-shot supporting character (the chip shop joke, which I'm certain was the real reason for his knighthood)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vlex posted:

Oh GOD loving DAMMIT.

Hey folks I am back. I come back to this poo poo. Christ.

Hope you are all well.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1167193129650405378
All hail our bullish PM, who is absolutely not a Lich King

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Death almost always gets the best line in every single book, which I suppose is inevitable as by definition he always gets the last word. The only exception I can think of is Soul Music which - in a book with many of Pratchett's very best punes, or plays on words, gives the very best joke (one that had built up the entire book) to a one-shot supporting character (the chip shop joke, which I'm certain was the real reason for his knighthood)

Wait, which joke was thi- ye gods

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1167193129650405378
All hail our bullish PM, who is absolutely not a Lich King

god what does this even mean? I know it's stupid to get angry about this at this point but what does 'up the tempo' even mean when his side is literally 'WE DO NOTHING YOU DO EVERYTHING GOODBYE'? How much higher can the 'tempo' go?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is that blood on his ear?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Illuyankas posted:

All these loving years and I'm still learning poo poo from his books!

sexpig by night posted:

god what does this even mean? I know it's stupid to get angry about this at this point but what does 'up the tempo' even mean when his side is literally 'WE DO NOTHING YOU DO EVERYTHING GOODBYE'? How much higher can the 'tempo' go?

"Up the tempo" = "increase the speed at which we can blame everyone else but us for this oncoming trainwreck."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Samovar posted:

Surely you mean Charles the First.

Not really given the next king after him was, y'know, his eldest surviving son.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Illuyankas posted:

I love that book so loving much. Airplane!-density jokes plus probably the most awesome scene (the final chase and showdown) ever written.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

All these loving years and I'm still learning poo poo from his books!

That was the true genius of his early-mid period books - it really didn't matter if you got the references because they were properly worked into the story. That line, to people who've never heard of Kirsty McColl, just sounds like a funny callback to the "he looks a bit Elvish" running joke, which in itself doesn't require you to know who Elvis was. That's some loving good writing right there.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I still prefer Reaper Man.

"Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not the care of the Reaper Man?"

Though I love the bit in Soul Music where Imp plays a song that moves an audience to tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Darth Walrus posted:

Apparently, she offers PMs and ministers a lot of advice and training in their new jobs. It's not a formal role, it's just a result of her being at the heart of British politics for decades and being very experienced in how it all works. Presumably, her opinions bleed through a bit when she does that.

lol if you believe this royalist propaganda lollllll

Ms Adequate posted:

She is supposedly happy enough to tell PMs what she thinks when they visit her (and this is entirely within convention), but accepts that she's absolutely not supposed to give any hint of what they are beyond the walls of that room. As G-man says she's also reported to take her role very very seriously, she spends hours every day reading the briefings she gets and so on. There's probably nobody else alive with a better understanding of how the government functions (lol) and the state of the country.

lol