Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

This is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The moment a Bears fan posts about another team's lovely kicker

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1167233110985064448

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 30, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
This season is going to be magical

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

who didn't see this coming. present yourselves so I can laugh at you

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Crosby missed an xp too. Lol.

Kizer is pretty bad.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Bears kicker is totally going to miss a game winner week 1

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

All kickers are bad now

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Prater is good

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Danny LaFever posted:

Prater is good

Only good thing the Lions are allowed to have.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The XP being pushed back has ruined all kickers

I don’t know if this is statistically true but I’ll just believe it is

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

xbilkis posted:

The moment a Bears fan posts about another team's lovely kicker

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1167233110985064448

Good god. This must absolutely be breaking Nagy's very soul.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

It’s cool because we never have to worry about who our kicker is, we can contract Jesus Christ Himself and he’d still start shanking wide left

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Who cares, Nagy's got a bunch of 2pt packages for Trubs

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
At this point the Vikings are just wasting a roster spot on a kicker. Keep another lineman and always go for two.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

SirPablo posted:

At this point the Vikings are just wasting a roster spot on a kicker. Keep another lineman and always go for two.

Seriously, I'd keep a punter and always go for 2, and mostly go for it on fourth down.

Some coach is going to do it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Bears fans think they have it bad but they have only started the kicker cycle. Enjoy the next 20+ years!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

SirPablo posted:

This is how you get Vedvik

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Listen to This American Life and they were talking about a guy who was a narcolepsy with cataplexy, which means your body essentially goes limp like you're asleep, but you're actually still awake. This is triggered by feelings of happiness, and my first thought was that this guy really needs to be a Lions fan.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'd been hoping to go see the Lions play in Phoenix, but unfortunately the timing didn't work out. Might be able to see them when I get back to Michigan in November, though.

I've been contemplating going to see the Lions here in Philly next month but I'm like 99% sure I will have either started my new job that week or will be starting it the day after that game and I want to relax. Maybe I will just walk around town with my Lions shirt and see if anyone spits on me.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Leon Einstein posted:

Crosby missed an xp too. Lol.

Kizer is pretty bad.

I thought he played pretty well. Certainly better than Boyle who folds under any kind of pressure.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Hizawk posted:

Seriously, I'd keep a punter and always go for 2, and mostly go for it on fourth down.

Some coach is going to do it.

There was a high school team that demolished their league by going for it on every fourth down, onside kicking every kickoff and only running 2 point conversions. They would score like 4 touchdowns in a row before the opposition ever got possession.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

There was a high school team that demolished their league by going for it on every fourth down, onside kicking every kickoff and only running 2 point conversions. They would score like 4 touchdowns in a row before the opposition ever got possession.

How can a team recover that my onside kicks if that is all they do? It's already a low percentage play, and even worse when the receiving team knows it's coming.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Bird in a Blender posted:

How can a team recover that my onside kicks if that is all they do? It's already a low percentage play, and even worse when the receiving team knows it's coming.

A lot of high school coaches probably don't really practice onside kick recovery. When the kicking team has practiced the scenario constantly and the receiving team has maybe walked through it once, I bet the odds get a lot better.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...EelTYcUb4O6w21g

This is a good read.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Good stuff.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The NFL's plan to deflect accusations of racism 1933-present:

We're not racist. (Points at whoever the owner of the Redskins is) Now they're racist!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lions cut Teez Tabor.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

sweet geek swag posted:

The NFL's plan to deflect accusations of racism 1933-present:

We're not racist. (Points at whoever the owner of the Redskins is) Now they're racist!

I love how the original owner of the Redskins changed the name from the Braves because it wasn't racist enough. I don't buy his excuse that he didn't want them confused with the baseball team.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MJeff posted:

Lions cut Teez Tabor.

Hallelujah.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
A Detroit Lions secondary without Teez Tabor and Nevin Lawson. My God.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I love how the original owner of the Redskins changed the name from the Braves because it wasn't racist enough. I don't buy his excuse that he didn't want them confused with the baseball team.

I agree with you all, great article on something I didn't know a whole lot about. And yeah, there's no reason to even consider respecting the rationalizations of an enthusiastic racist like that gently caress.

The insane thing is how that name change has lasted all the years up until now. The fact that it has is loving shameful, there's no other way to look at it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

MJeff posted:

Lions cut Teez Tabor.

Another victim of the Lions' second round curse. Real shame he didn't work out.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Welp it's the end of preseason and I'm still kinda bummed we drafted Gary instead of Burns. Also that all of our ILBs are dead and teams are going to run up the gut on us all year but aside from that I'm excited to see what this new offense can do.

I've really started tampering my expectations though. I've talked to a lot of people that seem to think anything less than a return to the nfc championship game is a complete disaster, and that seems kinda insane to me given how completely devoid of talent this team was the past few years.

Realistically I'd be pretty happy finishing above 500 and being in the division race till the end. People seem to think that a new scheme will instantly make us a powerhouse and I'm a little worried that people are going to demand way too much. I dont know if people just didnt realize how much this team sucked outside of rodgers or what, but I just dont see running away with the division against a real good bears and possibly real good vikings team.

I dunno I just think this team still has a long way to go and as long as it's a solid improvement over the past few seasons I'll be happy. Then next season after we add a few more pieces it's time to get excited

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ive known high-school teams that onside kicked a lot just because their kicker couldn't get it downfield very well anyway

another who did it once in a surprise halftime move in a tight game (like in the saints-colts super bowl), then decided it worked so well they should just keep doing it. they're still going to this day.

also saw a team that didn't onside, but whose kicker could pooch it so accurately at about 25 yards that they could just have a gunner run under it and catch it for a recovery - the opposing team had never seen this done before and took a while to realize kickoffs don't operate on punt rules

high school football is a weird uncharted universe where most people don't know what they are doing. Many coaches have gone mad with power and are full of crazy schemes

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Welp it's the end of preseason and I'm still kinda bummed we drafted Gary instead of Burns. Also that all of our ILBs are dead and teams are going to run up the gut on us all year but aside from that I'm excited to see what this new offense can do.

I've really started tampering my expectations though. I've talked to a lot of people that seem to think anything less than a return to the nfc championship game is a complete disaster, and that seems kinda insane to me given how completely devoid of talent this team was the past few years.

Realistically I'd be pretty happy finishing above 500 and being in the division race till the end. People seem to think that a new scheme will instantly make us a powerhouse and I'm a little worried that people are going to demand way too much. I dont know if people just didnt realize how much this team sucked outside of rodgers or what, but I just dont see running away with the division against a real good bears and possibly real good vikings team.

I dunno I just think this team still has a long way to go and as long as it's a solid improvement over the past few seasons I'll be happy. Then next season after we add a few more pieces it's time to get excited

:same:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Another victim of the Lions' second round curse. Real shame he didn't work out.

Who have the Lions gotten in the second round that didn't flame out? Slay and ???????

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This owns.

https://prostylemedia.com/2019/08/30/cutler-fed-up-with-mike-martz-storytimewithearl/

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pokemaster #421 posted:

For me, realistically I agree with you. Rodgers is amazing but I just don't think the roster is there. There's also a lot of young guys who seem to make a ton of mental mistakes. Add in a brand new scheme and you've got a recipe for tasty, delicious clownball.

I think they at least have a chance of winning the NFC North, although wouldn't be remotely surprised if they didn't. NFC Championship game seems unlikely to me, there are quite a few teams in the NFC with much better rosters

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

MJeff posted:

Who have the Lions gotten in the second round that didn't flame out? Slay and ???????

Kerryon and A'Shawn Robinson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

tinstaach posted:

Kerryon and A'Shawn Robinson

So far