Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Terry Farrell's contract was due to expire after the sixth season. She was incredibly bored with the role of Jadzia, because she had gotten to the point of having no characterization besides "Worf's love interest." So she approached Rick Berman and asked if she could do a part-time role in the seventh season, just 13 episodes. She pointed out, justifiably so, that DS9 had so many ancillary characters that it's not like anyone would miss Jadzia if she were gone for an episode or two.

Berman essentially said, "gently caress that noise, you're doing all 26 or you're not doing the show at all." Farrell had had enough of Berman's sexual harassment and had no desire to appear in 26 episodes, so she let her contract run out.
I think Berman also basically fired her without any input from the creative team, so they had to scramble to figure out how to replace her in the story.

I wonder if they actually planned out what she was going to do in S7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It all sounds like Exhibit A in why working in Hollywood crushes peoples' souls even when they are moderately successful. All the producers are misogynist sex pests; everyone's sleeping with everybody, or trying.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Berman also basically fired her without any input from the creative team, so they had to scramble to figure out how to replace her in the story.

I wonder if they actually planned out what she was going to do in S7.

Yes, Berman told Ira Steven Behr that Farrell had abruptly quit the show, which is why she gets chumped in "Tears of the Prophets." Behr later said that if he had known about Farrell's request to go part-time, he would have absolutely found a way to accommodate her.

Edit: Behr also gets high on his own farts a lot of the time, though, so I tend to take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 29, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah IRA, I think they had phones in 1999 where you could have given Ferrell or her agent a quick ring

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I can buy that Berman harassed a woman into quitting without telling anyone

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

ira's misogyny style is much more "wear a terrible beard for 20 years" than "make their working lives hell" from what i can can gather

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lost my old email posted:

ira's misogyny style is much more "wear a terrible beard for 20 years" than "make their working lives hell" from what i can can gather

A poor sense of fashion isn't really misogyny though

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/US_SpaceCom/status/1167176133332230144

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Air Force Space Command is gonna be pissed.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To be fair -- well, probably totally unfair actually -- someone who perpetually wears a purple beard and sunglasses is just begging you to assume he's guilty of at least low level misogyny, of the "women just don't get me" variety. Not necessarily the serial sexual harassment though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Air Force Space Command is gonna be pissed.

I think AFSC gets folded into this new branch. Hopefully they still get to keep the Starfleet delta-style logo.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Gonz posted:

I think AFSC gets folded into this new branch. Hopefully they still get to keep the Starfleet delta-style logo.

Trump doesn't want this associated with any of that Federation commie business.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Timby posted:

So she approached Rick Berman and asked if she could do a part-time role in the seventh season, just 13 episodes. She pointed out, justifiably so, that DS9 had so many ancillary characters that it's not like anyone would miss Jadzia if she were gone for an episode or two.

Berman essentially said, "gently caress that noise, you're doing all 26 or you're not doing the show at all." Farrell had had enough of Berman's sexual harassment and had no desire to appear in 26 episodes, so she let her contract run out.

What’s sillier is that Cirroc Lofton, despite being a credited star of the show probably was in less than 50% of each season and was in fewer episodes than some recurring cast members. They could have easily accommodated Farrell’s request!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zaroff posted:

What’s sillier is that Cirroc Lofton, despite being a credited star of the show probably was in less than 50% of each season and was in fewer episodes than some recurring cast members. They could have easily accommodated Farrell’s request!

What a Cirroc!

Sorry, I'll sit in the corner.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can't believe Andrew Robinson had a Garak journal so big they made a book out of it and this is the first I'm hearing of it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PostNouveau posted:

Can't believe Andrew Robinson had a Garak journal so big they made a book out of it and this is the first I'm hearing of it

And it only got published because of a happy coincidence. One of the Pocket Books writers who worked on Trek heard Robinson read an excerpt from the journal at a convention, and approached him and suggested that he submit it to Pocket for publication.

Zaroff posted:

Oh, absolutely. At that point, Jadzia had two functions: Worf's love interest, and calling out damage reports on the Defiant. She was a nothing character and she wouldn't have been missed at all in a part-time role.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jadzia was also useful as a vehicle to explore Dax's previous, more interesting hosts.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Thom12255 posted:

Trump doesn't want this associated with any of that Federation commie business.

The sentiment goes both ways, i hope they leave Trek iconography out of this military industry cash bonanza bullshit

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 30, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

With all of the incidents with holodecks on starships, how come they are not banned, or serious new safety procedures are not put into place on these things? Does the federation just not believe in safety?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

With all of the incidents with holodecks on starships, how come they are not banned, or serious new safety procedures are not put into place on these things? Does the federation just not believe in safety?

That's a stupid question

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I said come in! posted:

Lol, these are the safe versions.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I said come in! posted:

They literally didn't have seatbelts on starships until the Enterprise-E got refitted at the end of Nemesis. And in the era of TUC, they had rolling chairs on the bridge.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Starfleet officers are thrill seekers, that's why they don't wear seatbelts, their computer consoles are made out of rocks and explosives and they still use the holodeck for recreation despite there being a pretty decent chance the holograms will go wrong and murder them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

marktheando posted:

Starfleet officers are thrill seekers, that's why they don't wear seatbelts, their computer consoles are made out of rocks and explosives and they still use the holodeck for recreation despite there being a pretty decent chance the holograms will go wrong and murder them.

This but unironically. They have the tech to run starships without crews but they choose not to because gently caress all yall it’s fun

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't think you understand how bad it was

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Whalley posted:

I don't think you understand how bad it was

Listen pal I listen to heavy metal ok

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Timby posted:

They literally didn't have seatbelts on starships until the Enterprise-E got refitted at the end of Nemesis. And in the era of TUC, they had rolling chairs on the bridge.

The Universal Century?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The Undiscovered Country

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Despite all the times the holodeck goes wrong, is there actually a case when we have seen someone killed on one that wasn't a very intentional piece of sabotage?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PerniciousKnid posted:

The Universal Century?
This is not an anime.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Senor Tron posted:

Despite all the times the holodeck goes wrong, is there actually a case when we have seen someone killed on one that wasn't a very intentional piece of sabotage?

Geordi, when Captain Picard orders the holodeck de powered and Dr. Braums disappears?

Geordi, when Dr. Braums finds her holo-double?

[Semi-serious answer: ST:FC, where Picard murks a couple of Borg with a Tommy gun?]

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remember when I was watching through TNG one moment really stuck with me, when the bridge gets hit at one point and Johnathan Frakes does this unnecessarily elaborate tumble, while in every other scene they just grab the scenery and shake a little. It looked really good and must have required some acrobatic ability to pull off. His legs go all stiff and he just flops over and does a full roll to the side.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Admiralty Flag posted:

Geordi, when Captain Picard orders the holodeck de powered and Dr. Braums disappears?

Geordi, when Dr. Braums finds her holo-double?

This sequel to Darmok is weird.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Snow Cone Capone posted:

he wears a weird beard purely to spite a hot girl who probably forgot about the whole situation over a decade ago

Timby posted:

And it only got published because of a happy coincidence. One of the Pocket Books writers who worked on Trek heard Robinson read an excerpt from the journal at a convention, and approached him and suggested that he submit it to Pocket for publication.

i love garak so fukken much

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The sentiment goes both ways, i hope they leave Trek iconography out of this military industry cash bonanza bullshit

Agreed, but isn't it actually historically about Trek aping real-world space agency iconography? NASA, Roscosmos, CSNA, ISRO, and (debatably) JAXA all have some variant of the delta in their logos. The shape just seems to be generally associated with "space stuff" IRL.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Drone posted:

Agreed, but isn't it actually historically about Trek aping real-world space agency iconography? NASA, Roscosmos, CSNA, ISRO, and (debatably) JAXA all have some variant of the delta in their logos. The shape just seems to be generally associated with "space stuff" IRL.

Fair enough.

Alright, new deal, just don't name any overpriced unnecessary weapons of war after the Enterprise

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Drink-Mix Man posted:

overpriced unnecessary weapons of war after the Enterprise

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Yeah, but CVN-65 was built in 1958. And there were 7 USS Enterprise’s prior to that, going back to 1775.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Timby posted:

I know it must have been a budget thing but they're clearly just cheap office chairs with no attempt to hide the wheels. Utterly shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gonz posted:

Yeah, but CVN-65 was built in 1958. And there were 7 USS Enterprise’s prior to that, going back to 1775.

That's CVN-80, the big floating waste of money being built right now.

But yeah it was more me capitalizing on the phrase "overpriced unnecessary weapons of war" regardless on whether they have a name in common with fictional spaceships.