Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
What's the best way to quickly catch up on the past uh.... 20 or so years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Flavius Aetass posted:

Don't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/KevinNewburn/status/1166895232983552000?s=20

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

This. If your level of x-men knowledge is I saw 3 episodes of the 90s cartoon show you'll be fine. You can always wiki the stuff you dont recognize.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

good day for a bris posted:

This. If your level of x-men knowledge is I saw 3 episodes of the 90s cartoon show you'll be fine. You can always wiki the stuff you dont recognize.

I read all of them from the late 80s to about 2000 or so. I was just hoping there was a cliff's notes of what's happened since.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Flavius Aetass posted:

I read all of them from the late 80s to about 2000 or so. I was just hoping there was a cliff's notes of what's happened since.

Just read x force and maybe legacy if you are into Legion

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If you stopped reading in 2000, there are some things you may want to catch up on. Grant Morrison and Kieron Gillen had excellent runs, and Matt Fraction's is ok. Some people vouch for Joss Whedon's but I think it's a little rote. There are very worthwhile side titles between now and then as well-- Rick Remender's X-Force, X-Men: Red, Tom Taylor's run on Wolverine, Mr. and Mrs. X, Peter David had a very long second run on X-Factor if that's your thing, and I'm sure I'm missing plenty of other stuff. Oh, Milligan/Allred's X-Force/X-Statix was phenomenal. Mike Carey hopped around titles a bit and many of his long-running threads kind of fizzled out imo but he was always very readable. Si Spurrier did excellent work across a couple titles as well-- his stint on X-Men Legacy is a lot of fun and imo informs a lot of the sensibility of the Legion tv show.

Basically, a very sketchy and brief thumbnail of what you missed-- starting with Morrison, the X-Men were reimagined as more explicitly politically and socially radical, a subculture that embraced its position as the next step in culture. After his apparent death Magneto becomes a countercultural icon and we begin to see a nascent sort of punk mutant movement by way of Quentin Quire, a snide young Xavier student who starts out as an antagonist but eventually comes back from the dead as a recurring good guy. Emma Frost is firmly entrenched as a member of the core team, and acquires a group of proteges, identical telepaths known as the Stepford Cuckoos. After a big stupid crossover, the mutant population is reduced to fewer than 200 and everybody is put on the defensive. Cyclops steps into a political leader position as the de facto head of a mutant community located off the coast of San Francisco, and gradually becomes more and more radical until he and Wolverine come to blows and the latter heads back East to set up a more traditional school. For awhile the books are split between these two factions, with the West Coast branch doing more high-concept sci-fi stuff and the East Coast books focusing on new young mutants and low key superhero drama.

After a fracas with the Avengers Cyclops and his core followers-- Magneto, Emma Frost, Colossus, and Magik-- become empowered by the Phoenix and set themselves up as demigods seeking to rule the world. They get beaten up and defeated and in the climax Cyclops accidentally kills Xavier, but his grief is short lived as he discovers that during his god phase he managed to reignite the mutant gene or something, and saved his species. There continues to be a split between Cyclops' radical faction and a more conventionally super-hero-ey squad operating out of the mansion for a few years, until eventually Cyclops dies and a lot of that is swept under the rug. Enter several years of comics so blandly inoffensive that I'm honestly struggling to think of what you might have missed-- a decent comic by Tom Taylor in which a resurrected Jean Grey tackles large-scale problems, and I guess Kitty Pryde fails to get married. During this time period, roughly, Beast drags time-displaced versions of the Original Five from their teen days and they run around for a few years, Iceman comes out as gay in a not very good Bendis story leading into an ok-to-decent Sina Grace solo series, and Teen Archangel briefly dates Wolverine's teenaged girl clone Laura, who eventually becomes, believe it or not, hands-down the best character in the line. Cyclops dies of space flu or something, but it's ok, he comes back soon enough.

Finally another little crossover goes down in which X-Man traps most of the known mutants in a pocket dimension while the rest of the world believes them all to be dead. Cyclops muddles about in about a year's worth of truly abominable comics by Matt Rosenberg, until finally in the middle of an incomprehensible fight everyone else comes back. Rosenberg's run includes a staggering amount of shock deaths that were immediately undone, so don't worry about it.

Many other things went on in the dozens of ancillary titles-- Wolverine dying and coming back, Xavier dying and coming back (?), Magneto being good and then bad and then good again, all sorts of vague stuff with Bishop and Cable, etc., but you can follow those threads at your leisure without missing much in terms of hopping back onboard. You may want to look up a few important new characters introduced in the 21st century-- namely, I'd imagine, the Cuckoos, Xorn, and Omega Sentinel, although I would not be surprised if Fantomex and Dr. Nemesis crop up in the near future.

None of these are at all necessary to read and enjoy Hickman's project (although it wouldn't hurt) so you could also just dive in with his run and probably be perfectly fine.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 29, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Guys

Grant Morrison's run started 18 years ago. Holy poo poo.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Young jean grey was a great character, did she ever come back after x-men: red?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

Young jean grey was a great character, did she ever come back after x-men: red?

All the young X-Men were shunted back into the past with memory blocks so they wouldn't remember traveling to the future until now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's the X-Men Grand Design series, but they've only got up to the 80s-90s at this point.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

HidaO-Win posted:

Old X-Men lore had Chuck as the strongest telepath with unfettered instant access to any mind on earth. To avoid going crazy he shut down large chunks of his powers permanently.

Isn't that part of why Onslaught ended up happening?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The overall "main" thing to know about the X-Men going into this run in order to understand everyone's mindset at the moment, if you haven't read anything about them since like the first film came out, is that...they keep losing. Everytime they try to get back up on their feet after another resounding defeat, something or someone just pulls the rug out from under them and kicks them back down.

Morrison's run ended in a tragedy for the school, Scott and Emma tried to get things up and running again but then Scarlet Witch magically turned all but 198 mutants in the world into humans, so for a long time they were trying to recover from that, then they moved to San Francisco and formed their own nation of Utopia but then Avengers versus X-Men happened so that didn't last, and then Cyclops tried to be more revolutionary which didn't really go anywhere, and then the M-Pox happened so the entire school had to relocate to Limbo and became more of a wartime plague center than anything else, and then they relocated to Central Park but the mansion got blown up yet again.

It's been a very long decade of very, very many losses for mutantkind, and the fact that they're really loving sick of it by now kinda informs the characters' attitudes going into House of X/Powers of X.

Skwirl posted:

All the young X-Men were shunted back into the past with memory blocks so they wouldn't remember traveling to the future until now.
To clarify on this: The "memory block" was set to last until the literal moment that they all went back in time, so all the current original X-Men -- Scott, Jean, Warren, Bobby, and Hank -- have, by now, "remembered" everything that their young selves went through. Current Scott remembers being with the Champions, Jean remembers outing Bobby, Warren remembers...uh, dating Laura I guess, and by all accounts Hank should be able to use magic, though those last two bits have been completely unexplored as of now.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Flavius Aetass posted:

Just watch these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Bc7QQeLAY

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

To clarify on this: The "memory block" was set to last until the literal moment that they all went back in time, so all the current original X-Men -- Scott, Jean, Warren, Bobby, and Hank -- have, by now, "remembered" everything that their young selves went through. Current Scott remembers being with the Champions, Jean remembers outing Bobby, Warren remembers...uh, dating Laura I guess, and by all accounts Hank should be able to use magic, though those last two bits have been completely unexplored as of now.

Skwirl posted:

poo poo. And what book was this in?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wasn't too sure about Hickman's run but now I kind of want to read it. What's the reading order so far?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

Death of X miniseries
The poster below me is correct.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 30, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Extermination

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I wasn't too sure about Hickman's run but now I kind of want to read it. What's the reading order so far?

House of X 1
Powers of X1
HoX 2
PoX 2
PoX 3
HoX 3 (most recent issue)
HoX 4
PoX 4
HoX 5
PoX 5
HoX 6
PoX 6

Basically between the two except PoX 3 and HoX 3 are swapped.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Guys

Grant Morrison's run started 18 years ago. Holy poo poo.

On-sale date: 28th August, 2019

On-sale date: 16th May, 2001

On-sale date: 8th February, 1983

Almost exactly the same amount of time in between G-Mo's first, and each of the other two. (It's like a week closer to the Claremont issue than to the Hickman.)

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 30, 2019

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ImpAtom posted:

House of X 1
Powers of X 1
HOX 2
POX 2
POX 3
HOX 3

It alternates except for the the last two issues.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

House of X 1
Powers of X1
HoX 2
PoX 2
PoX 3
HoX 3 (most recent issue)
HoX 4
PoX 4
HoX 5
PoX 5
HoX 6
PoX 6

Basically between the two except PoX 3 and HoX 3 are swapped.

danbanana posted:

House of X 1
Powers of X 1
HOX 2
POX 2
POX 3
HOX 3

It alternates except for the the last two issues.

Thank you kindly

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

The only problem with this theory is that Ultimate Reed is presently appearing in Future Foundation. I doubt Hickman would let him show up in an ancillary book if he was so important to HoxPox.

Oh god, please don't make me say the "slices" thing again. It's like my Tourettes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The most important run to read is chuck Austin’s

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Martinpale posted:

Oh god, please don't make me say the "slices" thing again. It's like my Tourettes.
I lost track of The Maker after his Children decided he was a dick and Tony had a sentient Infinity Stone tumor.

These Slices thing sounds like Planetary. Is it like Planetary?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hot drat cat beast was dumb as hell.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

better or worse than dog wolvie?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Death of X miniseries
The poster below me is correct.

Alaois posted:

Extermination

I’ll check them both out tyvm

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Death of X is terrible. Don't.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hot drat cat beast was dumb as hell.

I'd take Cat Beast over his look when Bendis took over. Beast's design there made him look like lovely, discount Panthro.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Looks like Hickman’s page in Marvel #1000 ties into his X-Men with Apocalypse reviving the first horsemen.

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

Looks like Hickman’s page in Marvel #1000 ties into his X-Men with Apocalypse reviving the first horsemen.

I wonder if they'll have any connection to Apocalypse's group that fought the Brood in Ancient Egypt in Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. series.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I lost track of The Maker after his Children decided he was a dick and Tony had a sentient Infinity Stone tumor.

These Slices thing sounds like Planetary. Is it like Planetary?

I dunno, I haven't checked out Planetary...it's on the list, but the backlog list is looooong. Short version: When all of everything was remade, post Secret Wars, Molecule Man/Franklin Richards/Reed put a Maker in each universe. The Maker calls them "slices", there's a Maker in each universe, but they share a consciousness. In the post-SW Ultimates and...New Avengers, I think...it shows The Maker reaching out to himself in other universes, to get weapons and materials, etc. that he needs. So there could be multiple "Makers" in our universe, all doing different things.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Hickman has stated that he doesn't intend his X-books to tie in too directly with his earlier Marvel work, so that people who haven't read the latter can still enjoy the former. And while there's some connective tissue - Orchis setting up in the remnants of Sol's Hammer, for instance - I doubt it's going to go much deeper than that, which is why I feel extremely confident in saying that no, Xavier is not a disguised Maker, if only because the Big Mutant Book about Mutants doing Mutant Things is probably not going to slip in non-mutant Alternate Reed Richards as its motivating force

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

is probably not going to slip in non-mutant Alternate Reed Richards as its motivating force

If that's true, then Hickman is not doing a good job of distinguishing between X and the Maker. Everywhere I go online where people are discussing this run there's always some claiming X is the Maker. If it's setting up a fake out, then it's a very weird thing to set a fake out on.

And I say this has someone who has never read a single thing with this Maker character in. I didn't read the Ultimate universe, and I never bother with the Avengers regardless of who's writing them.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 31, 2019

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Saoshyant posted:

If that's true, then Hickman is not doing a good job of distinguishing between X and the Maker. Everywhere I go online where people are discussing this run there's always some claiming X is the Maker. If it's setting up a fake out, then it's a very weird thing to set a fake out on.

And I say this has someone who has never read a single thing with this Maker character in. I didn't read the Ultimate universe, and I never bother with the Avengers regardless of who's writing them.

It's far too obvious to be the Maker. If it's anyone not Xavier, I'm betting it's Sinister, who is on the cover of PoX #5 in an area that looks a little too much like the birthing pod place. That would certainly explain a lot of things...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

danbanana posted:

It's far too obvious to be the Maker. If it's anyone not Xavier, I'm betting it's Sinister, who is on the cover of PoX #5 in an area that looks a little too much like the birthing pod place. That would certainly explain a lot of things...

Xavier probably stole from Sinister (or employed him) in order to get that whole part of his plan going. Wouldn’t be the first time based on Moira’s lives.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Xavier probably stole from Sinister (or employed him) in order to get that whole part of his plan going. Wouldn’t be the first time based on Moira’s lives.

It was Apocalypse who worked with Sinister. Sinister also betrayed them, which Moira would know about.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Martinpale posted:

I dunno, I haven't checked out Planetary...it's on the list, but the backlog list is looooong.
Check it out! If anything you can say it's a very fun ride.

Thanks for the summary. Not exactly sure why they thought having a megamaniacal evil Reed in every universe would be a good thing to include, but... :doom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Skwirl posted:

It was Apocalypse who worked with Sinister. Sinister also betrayed them, which Moira would know about.

She probably stole his tech